Topic Wiki

If you have to ask, the answer is "yes".

Author Topic: Is this a scam or not?  (Read 14633 times)

Offline HP

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Is this a scam or not?
« on: June 07, 2017, 11:23:09 PM »
My wife is a graphic designer and a guy contacted her online for a logo and brochure. She gave him a quote, and he agreed right away to the amounts she said. He asked if she can accept credit card; she told him she prefers Chase Quickpay, but he insisted on credit. So she set up her PayPal to accept credit card and then told him to pay that way. His response was
My Credit Card account is not compatible to process payment through PayPal, kindly sign up with this link to proceed to payment
with a link to Quickbooks Intuit. She opened up the site (not from his link) and signed up as a self-employed service provider, connected our bank accounts, and sent him an invoice.

Later that day, she got an email from him asking for a favor (estimates redacted, we're talking in the $1-5K range):
The favor i need from you is concerning this project i will be glad if you can handle that for me because am presently in the hospital for treatment i will want you to add $3800 to the estimate this will be for the Project Consultant so he can send you the text and images of the brochure he does not have the facility to accept credit card as a means of payment also. You are to charge $xxxx from my credit card.

The consultant will like to know the best file for you to receive the text and images also you are to charge the 3% Credit Card and Tax Charges from my credit card.

I will also be adding a tip of $300

Here is the Breakdown:
Service Charge: $xxxx (Deposit Payment of $xxx will be paid)
Tip: $300
Consultant Fee: $3,800
Total: $xxxx

Kindly send me another invoice of $1,400 this will be the first payment due to the limit on my credit card account.

.I will be waiting for your positive response.

We would never pay anyone before getting paid first; and even after getting paid, I don't think we would pay someone else. The question is, should my wife  take the job even without paying the Project Consultant, or is it a complete waste of her time? Also, would it be smarter to ask him questions (identifying details, etc) before we say no to paying the consultant?

When my wife told me about this, I was very suspicious. I was trying to think of the best person that would know about this, and decided that this is the best place to ask. Despite my not posting often, I have read a lot of posts here.

Sorry about the lengthy post. Any advice is appreciated.

Offline Denverite

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Is this a scam or not?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 11:26:36 PM »
Don't do it...even if you haven't figured out the exact angle of what kind of fraud it is, there is something definitely off here.

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 11:27:09 PM »
My wife is a graphic designer and a guy contacted her online for a logo and brochure. She gave him a quote, and he agreed right away to the amounts she said. He asked if she can accept credit card; she told him she prefers Chase Quickpay, but he insisted on credit. So she set up her PayPal to accept credit card and then told him to pay that way. His response waswith a link to Quickbooks Intuit. She opened up the site (not from his link) and signed up as a self-employed service provider, connected our bank accounts, and sent him an invoice.

Later that day, she got an email from him asking for a favor (estimates redacted, we're talking in the $1-5K range):
We would never pay anyone before getting paid first; and even after getting paid, I don't think we would pay someone else. The question is, should my wife  take the job even without paying the Project Consultant, or is it a complete waste of her time? Also, would it be smarter to ask him questions (identifying details, etc) before we say no to paying the consultant?

When my wife told me about this, I was very suspicious. I was trying to think of the best person that would know about this, and decided that this is the best place to ask. Despite my not posting often, I have read a lot of posts here.

Sounds fishy to me.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline as2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 11:27:13 PM »
My wife is a graphic designer and a guy contacted her online for a logo and brochure. She gave him a quote, and he agreed right away to the amounts she said. He asked if she can accept credit card; she told him she prefers Chase Quickpay, but he insisted on credit. So she set up her PayPal to accept credit card and then told him to pay that way. His response waswith a link to Quickbooks Intuit. She opened up the site (not from his link) and signed up as a self-employed service provider, connected our bank accounts, and sent him an invoice.

Sounds very fishy. I would request information that would make me feel comfortable with the situation, maybe an ID and picture of the credit card or something of that nature. It may just not be worth the worries, and you can just scrap the job.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline BP16

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 11:30:53 PM »
Yeah way to many signs of fraud if your not 100% certain stay away.

Offline HP

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 11:31:48 PM »
It's a decent amount of money, that we would like to make. So if there's a way we can confirm that it's probably legit we would want to go with it.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 11:35:01 PM »
Scam
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline tageed-lee

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 73
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 11:37:07 PM »
Ya, its definitely a scam.

Offline how

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 11:42:18 PM »

stay away

Offline ElectricCPR

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 11:43:05 PM »
Sounds fishy!

I had a similar story in my field of work.

And why is your wife paying a $3800 cosultation fee?

Offline JACKBLUE

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 11:45:44 PM »
Scam
you have a Psak from @Dan! No more questions asked!

Offline Denverite

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2017, 11:49:10 PM »
It's a decent amount of money, that we would like to make. So if there's a way we can confirm that it's probably legit we would want to go with it.

Listen, I work with designers and freelancers all the time for hundreds of brochures for my company.  If you are searching online like you are describing its to get a super cheap deal, especially someone from overseas knowns he can bid it out to a designer in India and get a logo for less than $100.  There is no way this is legit. No one pays a tip to a designer and needs to involve project consultants. This is a scam. Don't ask for verification, ID, copy of the credit card or anything.  It's all irrelevant because it's not a real job so don't waste another second on it.

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2017, 11:53:10 PM »
The grammar alone is classic scam language. "Kindly sign up for xxxx"?
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2017, 11:59:40 PM »
The grammar alone is classic scam language. "Kindly sign up for xxxx"?
That would be syntax, not grammar.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2017, 12:20:04 AM »
That would be syntax, not grammar.
Ur face is a sinning axe!
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2017, 12:20:38 AM »
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2017, 12:22:33 AM »
FTFY  ;)
That's not a word. No vowels. Poor dictation right there.
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2017, 12:23:59 AM »
That's not a word. No vowels. Poor dictation right there.
An abbreviation is more proper than something like "ur"

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2017, 12:26:23 AM »
An abbreviation is more proper than something like "ur"
Meh, abreviations r 4 lazy peeps.
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2017, 12:35:29 AM »
Meh, abreviations r 4 lazy peeps.
Oh the hypocrisy  :)