Topic Wiki

Please follow the following rules when posting in this thread. Failure to do so may result in you request being ignored or deleted.

(If you are looking to purchase a paid ticket, please post here)

FAQs:

Q: How can I use my credit card points to book a USA-TLV ticket?
A: Please read Dan's very helpful and informative guides found here and here

Great tool to see the mileage cost for a route http://www.awardhacker.com

Q: Do I have to pay a lot of money when using miles for a ticket?

A: Sometimes. For more information read this

Q: How do I find award availability?
A: For Star Alliance (United, AirCanada, Lufthansa, Swiss, and others) see this guide

For OneWorld (AmericanAirlines, BritishAirways, Iberia, Malev, and more) You can use BA's award search engine (you need to have a free BA account to access the engine). In addition, you can use Qantas' engine (free account needed as well), which will (to an extent) search Elal. As of this posting, the Elal business flights that show up are coach, and vice verse.

For Delta and AirFrance, use their respective sites. While not perfect, they are quite manageable for the casual searcher.

And of course, many of us here will take time out to help someone who is trying to learn.

Q: All this searching is making me crazy. Is there an easier way?
A: Yes, but it might cost you. Check out AwardNexus.com, KVStool.com, and expertflyer.com.

Q: I see AirCanada availability, but when I call AirCanada they say I can't use my United miles with them. Aren't they partners?
A: You can only use miles with the airline that issued them. Through that airline (in our case United) they can issue a ticket on a partner (ie AirCanada). Trying to call AirCanada with United miles, is like trying to use shekels in Mexico.

Q: I can't find availability on my dates. What should I do?
A: You should try to be as flexible as possible. Can you add a stop or 2? Can you be more flexible with your dates? The airports?
If all else fails, keep trying. Availability is constantly opening up.

Q: Can someone please help me find a ticket?
A: No! Find it yourself.  ;D ;D Just kidding. Please copy the following lines, delete the non bolded parts, and fill it out in your post.

One way/Round-trip:
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any:
To: All airports which you can arrive at. For multiple destinations, just keep adding this line
Departure dates: All possible dates that you can depart on. Please be as specific as possible.
Return airports:If different from 'To' line. Delete this line for One-way tickets
Return dates: Delete this line for One-way tickets
Class: First/Business/Coach/Any
Seats: Total number of people traveling over the age of 2
Alliance/Airline: What airline or alliance are you looking to fly with

IF you have any airline status or credit cards (Ie, United CC or status) that gives extended seat availability, please add that. Would be helpful to find you correct availability.

An additional note about using miles for direct flights from NYC-TLV

NYC-TLV is only served by 3 carriers non-stop, United, Delta, and El Al. Saver availability on Delta is non-existent. Saver availability on United is rare but sometimes available close-in. It is almost never available on or near holidays or holiday weekends, or around yomim tovim. Any award space that opens will be snatched up immediately so you have to constantly be checking if you hope to snag it if/when it opens. El AL awards are more readily available but prohibitively expensive using Matmid points (El Al's frequent flyer program) but may be able to be booked using Quantas points (transfers from Citi & Amex) at a much more reasonable rate.

This leaves the following options if no saver availability:

The Chase travel portal will let you use Ultimate Rewards, or a combination or UR and cash to book flights. If you have a Sapphire Reserve or a Sapphire Preferred, the redemption rate will be 1.5 cents per point or 1.25 cents per point respectively, instead of the regular 1 cent per point without them. (A, Ink cash or Ink Preferred will also give you the 1.25 cpp redemption rate.)

The Amex travel portal will let you redeem points at 1 cent per point towards the cost of air travel. If you have a grandfathered Business Platinum card, you will get 50% of the points you redeem back around a month after you book the ticket. If you have a non-grandfathered card, you will get 35% of your points back. (This is only available when redeeming points for tickets on your selected American carrier in economy class or on any airline in business or first class.)

The Citi travel portal also lets you redeem points at 1 cent per point towards travel and seems to have better pricing on El Al in business class.

Alternatively, you can sell your points (not here on DDF) and use the cash to buy regular tickets. This is usually the best option for people without either a Chase Sapphire Reserve or grandfathered Business Platinum who are flying economy.

Those are your only options for nonstop travel. For options with a stopover and more information in general, see https://www.dansdeals.com/points-travel/milespoints/the-ultimate-israel-mileage-award-chart/

This keeps on getting asked over and over. Besides Dan's comprehensive list of how to get to, or from, TLV here is a short list of options for travel to or from NYC in Y:
Lowest point per RT is FB 50K (less with promo, but YQ of ~$500 unless you can find unicorn DL availability), AA 80k (AA metal for transatlantic), AC 80k (LX or LO for low YQ) and UA 85k. Half that for OW.

Please add any other information to this wiki that you feel might be useful.

Author Topic: Need help finding a ticket? Post here! Award ticket edition (Master thread)  (Read 1874682 times)

Offline smart brit

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Hi,
20,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards points to the person who can make this happen:

I'm looking to travel NYC to Israel on or about 7/21. I'd like to stay there about a week and then fly to Nice, France (or any other warm coastal place in Europe that has kosher food establishments-ideas welcome) and spend 3-4 days there, before flying home to NYC.
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any: Any
To: TV
To:NCE (or other coastal European city with kosher food)
Departure dates: 3 options in order of preference: 7/21, 7/18, 6/24
Return dates: Correlating with 3 above dates:       7/31, 7/28-29, 7/3-4
Class: Coach, but would consider a good deal on business
Seats: 2
Alliance/Airline: I'm looking to transfer my credit card points to whatever awards program would give me the best rate. preferably a partner with Amex membership rewards

I have about 200,000 Chase ultimate Rewards points, 150,000 AMEX membership rewards points, and 80,000 Starwood points. Would prefer to use the Amex membership rewards points for these flights, but am open to using the others as well

I have searched AA.com for Air Berlin flights with no luck.
And you are looking to save YQ?

Offline lechatchileh ariber

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
gig to jfk october 3
i have 35k amex gold
I don't sin, I give myself opportunities to repent.

Offline Yitzter

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
never a good idea to transfer to b6
the award program with jet blue is value based

Any recommendations?
"There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things

Offline Wahaha888

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
Being that saver flights aren't available for my dates, is it worthed to book a flight JFK-LAX with AA anytime economy for 25000 (one way), Or should I rather sell AA or BA miles and book with cash? Also, I have plenty Chase UR points, is there another option how I can use that for JFK-LAX instead of AA for less mileage? Thanks!

Yes you can transfer your Chase UR points to United Airlines. 
First check if there's any award availability on United.com on the dates you want to travel.  If so you can make immediate transfer from Chase UR to UA.

IMHO anytime awards are not worth it, unless the airfare is ridiculously expensive.

Offline kaitlin

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
gig to jfk october 3
i have 35k amex gold

Nothing on Oct 3.  But a few days earlier you can fly GIG-MIA-LGA on AA.  It'll cost you 32500 BA miles = 25000 Amex MR points with the current promotion " 35% transfer bonus from Membership Rewards to British Airways Avios"

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
never a good idea to transfer to b6

2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline lechatchileh ariber

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Nothing on Oct 3.  But a few days earlier you can fly GIG-MIA-LGA on AA.  It'll cost you 32500 BA miles = 25000 Amex MR points with the current promotion " 35% transfer bonus from Membership Rewards to British Airways Avios"
+1
thanks everyone for your help :)
I don't sin, I give myself opportunities to repent.

Offline smart brit

• View Profile
:o
Please explain.
As b6 is a value based program the max you will get is 1.4 from your b6 points and the conversion rate with Amex is 250/200

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
:o
Please explain.
As b6 is a value based program the max you will get is 1.4 from your b6 points and the conversion rate with Amex is 250/200

1) AmEx sometimes offers transfer bonuses of 30%.
2) Jetblue sometimes offers discounted redemptions of 30%
3) Jetblue is arguably the best coach, especially hard product.
4) He doesn't have enough UR to get two people to to LIR
5) WN doesn't fly to LIR
6) So he either transfers to b6, depending on cost of tickets, and promos, or he can transfer to SQ and fly on UA/US, or he can sell.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 09:46:34 AM by AJK »
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline joey123

• View Profile
  • Location: Modern Mashgiach at Chovevei (YCT) #ResidentMashgiach
  • Programs: Daven for the Chayalim #IStandWithIsrael
As you can see below, I am looking for a ticket to Israel. Whoever finds my a ticket will be rewarded monetarilly. How much do people typically award, what's the going rate?

One way/Round trip: Round Trip

Non-stop/Maximum stops: Any (No long layovers, though)

To: TLV

Departure dates: July 28th + or - 3 days

Return dates:June 2nd or + or - 2 days

Class: Coach

Seats:1

Alliance/Airline: Chase Ultimate Rewards points: 90000,  BA Avios 100,000.
To the nOObs out there, feel free to PM with q's. #AlwaysTakesTheHighRoad #LovesHashTags

Offline Non Sequitur

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
Need help finding a ticket. CHI - NY
« Reply #2370 on: May 27, 2013, 10:58:48 PM »
2 Round trip tickets.
Non-stop.
Departure dates: June 23, arriving at or before 2 PM
Return dates: June 24, as early as possible.
Class: Any
Alliance/Airline: Don't care.  Looking to get the most out of my miles.
Mile/Points available: Southwest, over 50K; Chase, over 45K.  If need be, I can hit the thresholds and have 75K AMEX and 30K Delta shortly.

I'm a mileage n00b.  Never booked a ticket on miles/points before.  I know that I can transfer chase points to many different carriers, but don't know which one to go with.  I only went with Southwest miles at the beginning because I wanted the companion pass, but a rep recently told me that bonus points don't count towards the companion pass...

Any help is appreciated.  If I can use these points to ger a rental car and a hotel for that evening as well, that'd be great.  I know that starwood points are the best hotel and rental car "currency," but I just don't have any... yet.

Thanks.

Offline Redbull3

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Newbie question.

Trying to book a trip from NYC to italy for a week in late July/early Aug. I want to at least fly there on business. I notice that there is like 1 direct flight each day and none of them are available for saver points... but flights that are literally taking off in 2 or 3 days from now have availability. Is this a common thing, that United will open up the direct flight to saver redemption within a couple days of the flight? It makes sense to me because if the flight isn't full and it's taking off really soon anyway, why not let people redeem for the fewest amount of points just to fill the seat. Wanted to confirm though.

We really prefer direct flights and I'm tempted to wait until the last minute before booking, if this is true. Thoughts?

Offline MEIR613

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
Newbie question.

Trying to book a trip from NYC to italy for a week in late July/early Aug. I want to at least fly there on business. I notice that there is like 1 direct flight each day and none of them are available for saver points... but flights that are literally taking off in 2 or 3 days from now have availability. Is this a common thing, that United will open up the direct flight to saver redemption within a couple days of the flight? It makes sense to me because if the flight isn't full and it's taking off really soon anyway, why not let people redeem for the fewest amount of points just to fill the seat. Wanted to confirm though.

We really prefer direct flights and I'm tempted to wait until the last minute before booking, if this is true. Thoughts?
Yes it is true. They usually open up seats closer to the flight. Remember, it's not guaranteed, but its very common.

Offline easy48

• View Profile
Looking for:

Round trip
Less than 3 stops
To: BOB
Departure dates: 7/21, 7/28, 8/4
Return airports: Same as from/to
Return dates: 7/25, 8/1, 8/8
Class: First/Business
Alliance/Airline: No matter.  Have 300k One World, 880k Amex MR, 300k SPG, 400k BofA points as well.

Would apprecitate some help with this.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 12:38:25 PM by easy48 »

Offline AJK

• View Profile
Looking for:

Round trip
Less than 3 stops
To: BOB
Departure dates: 7/21, 7/28, 8/4
Return airports: Same as from/to
Return dates: 7/25, 8/1, 8/8
Alliance/Airline: No matter.  Have 300k One World, 880k Amex MR, 300k SPG, 400k BofA points as well.

Would apprecitate some help with this.  Thanks!

No availability for your dates, but there are 2 coach awards on TN for LAX-PPT on 7/23 and 7/24 and a lot of coach awards from PPT-LAX.

Also, there is AF Y and J availability for 7/30 PPT-LAX.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 12:50:54 PM by AJK »

Offline goodenglewood

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Platinum, *W Platinum, AA Gold, Hertz Platinum, National Executive
Preferably non-stop, but can do one stop
Departure dates:either direct on july 20th after shabbos or sunday the 21st.... need to be in TLV by 1pm on Monday the 22nd
Return dates: july 25th at night or july 26th early am
Seats:2
Alliance/Airline: any, have points in every program

TIA!

Offline easy48

• View Profile
No availability for your dates, but there are 2 coach awards on TN for LAX-PPT on 7/23 and 7/24 and a lot of coach awards from PPT-LAX.

Also, there is AF Y and J availability for 7/30 PPT-LAX.

Your dates put me into shabbos issues. Think it's likely something will change?

Offline wolf.shaul

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any:dont mind layovers
Departure dates: 17/6 +1 days
Return dates:3/10 +- 4 days
Class: coach
Seats:
Alliance/Airline:I have chase points so any airline that converts

I searched on United.com but it was 75000 for each leg, I thought it was supposed to be 80000 all together??? I can fly any airline that is redeemable with chase points...

Thanks so much

Offline AJK

• View Profile
Your dates put me into shabbos issues. Think it's likely something will change?

Award availability is dynamic. It is constantly in flux, depending on and because of inventory control and revenue management.

Offline MEIR613

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
Award availability is dynamic. It is constantly in flux, depending on and because of inventory control and revenue management.
You say it like a pro:)