Topic Wiki

Please follow the following rules when posting in this thread. Failure to do so may result in you request being ignored or deleted.

(If you are looking to purchase a paid ticket, please post here)

FAQs:

Q: How can I use my credit card points to book a USA-TLV ticket?
A: Please read Dan's very helpful and informative guides found here and here

Great tool to see the mileage cost for a route http://www.awardhacker.com

Q: Do I have to pay a lot of money when using miles for a ticket?

A: Sometimes. For more information read this

Q: How do I find award availability?
A: For Star Alliance (United, AirCanada, Lufthansa, Swiss, and others) see this guide

For OneWorld (AmericanAirlines, BritishAirways, Iberia, Malev, and more) You can use BA's award search engine (you need to have a free BA account to access the engine). In addition, you can use Qantas' engine (free account needed as well), which will (to an extent) search Elal. As of this posting, the Elal business flights that show up are coach, and vice verse.

For Delta and AirFrance, use their respective sites. While not perfect, they are quite manageable for the casual searcher.

And of course, many of us here will take time out to help someone who is trying to learn.

Q: All this searching is making me crazy. Is there an easier way?
A: Yes, but it might cost you. Check out AwardNexus.com, KVStool.com, and expertflyer.com.

Q: I see AirCanada availability, but when I call AirCanada they say I can't use my United miles with them. Aren't they partners?
A: You can only use miles with the airline that issued them. Through that airline (in our case United) they can issue a ticket on a partner (ie AirCanada). Trying to call AirCanada with United miles, is like trying to use shekels in Mexico.

Q: I can't find availability on my dates. What should I do?
A: You should try to be as flexible as possible. Can you add a stop or 2? Can you be more flexible with your dates? The airports?
If all else fails, keep trying. Availability is constantly opening up.

Q: Can someone please help me find a ticket?
A: No! Find it yourself.  ;D ;D Just kidding. Please copy the following lines, delete the non bolded parts, and fill it out in your post.

One way/Round-trip:
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any:
To: All airports which you can arrive at. For multiple destinations, just keep adding this line
Departure dates: All possible dates that you can depart on. Please be as specific as possible.
Return airports:If different from 'To' line. Delete this line for One-way tickets
Return dates: Delete this line for One-way tickets
Class: First/Business/Coach/Any
Seats: Total number of people traveling over the age of 2
Alliance/Airline: What airline or alliance are you looking to fly with

IF you have any airline status or credit cards (Ie, United CC or status) that gives extended seat availability, please add that. Would be helpful to find you correct availability.

An additional note about using miles for direct flights from NYC-TLV

NYC-TLV is only served by 3 carriers non-stop, United, Delta, and El Al. Saver availability on Delta is non-existent. Saver availability on United is rare but sometimes available close-in. It is almost never available on or near holidays or holiday weekends, or around yomim tovim. Any award space that opens will be snatched up immediately so you have to constantly be checking if you hope to snag it if/when it opens. El AL awards are more readily available but prohibitively expensive using Matmid points (El Al's frequent flyer program) but may be able to be booked using Quantas points (transfers from Citi & Amex) at a much more reasonable rate.

This leaves the following options if no saver availability:

The Chase travel portal will let you use Ultimate Rewards, or a combination or UR and cash to book flights. If you have a Sapphire Reserve or a Sapphire Preferred, the redemption rate will be 1.5 cents per point or 1.25 cents per point respectively, instead of the regular 1 cent per point without them. (A, Ink cash or Ink Preferred will also give you the 1.25 cpp redemption rate.)

The Amex travel portal will let you redeem points at 1 cent per point towards the cost of air travel. If you have a grandfathered Business Platinum card, you will get 50% of the points you redeem back around a month after you book the ticket. If you have a non-grandfathered card, you will get 35% of your points back. (This is only available when redeeming points for tickets on your selected American carrier in economy class or on any airline in business or first class.)

The Citi travel portal also lets you redeem points at 1 cent per point towards travel and seems to have better pricing on El Al in business class.

Alternatively, you can sell your points (not here on DDF) and use the cash to buy regular tickets. This is usually the best option for people without either a Chase Sapphire Reserve or grandfathered Business Platinum who are flying economy.

Those are your only options for nonstop travel. For options with a stopover and more information in general, see https://www.dansdeals.com/points-travel/milespoints/the-ultimate-israel-mileage-award-chart/

This keeps on getting asked over and over. Besides Dan's comprehensive list of how to get to, or from, TLV here is a short list of options for travel to or from NYC in Y:
Lowest point per RT is FB 50K (less with promo, but YQ of ~$500 unless you can find unicorn DL availability), AA 80k (AA metal for transatlantic), AC 80k (LX or LO for low YQ) and UA 85k. Half that for OW.

Please add any other information to this wiki that you feel might be useful.

Author Topic: Need help finding a ticket? Post here! Award ticket edition (Master thread)  (Read 1874512 times)

Offline mattyrides

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
One way/Round trip: Round Trip
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any: 1
To: BNE or SYD  (Australia)
Departure dates: December - January 2014/2015
Return dates: 3-4 weeks later
Class: Coach/Economy
Total number of people traveling over the age of 2: 2
Alliance/Airline: No Preference. 80-100k of chase points

New at this. Please help, and if you can, explain how you found it. 

TIA

Offline rots5

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
    • Custom Cakes for Every Occassion
1 stop max
LAX
To: NYC
Departure dates: 6/29

Class: Coach/Any
Seats: 1
Alliance/Airline: I have UA, Avios some delta, southwest

thanks peeps
One way?
If you have any questions please search and then ask. PM me for detailed help.

Offline arid

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
One way?

sir yes sir. he already had a ticket and now needs to end trip early to make it for the wedding....

Offline ranhan429

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
One way/Round trip: Round
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any: Non-1
To: BKK (Bangkok)
Departure dates: Dates are extremely flexible. Nov-Dec time frame for about 2 weeks.
Return airports: Same as "To"
Return dates:
Class: First/Business/
Seats: 2
Alliance/Airline: Good business class airline. we want a really nice flight experience. Sorry to be a blunt Israeli but: No sketchy arab or asian / malaysian airlines!!!

Want to start saving miles for the best TLV - BKK (Bangkok) flight... I've got miles on most major programs and willing to open cards / start saving now.

What is best airline / mileage program to start saving in ? I saw flights for 30k per direction on AA via Royal Jordanian (I'll pass on that airline, thnx). Or 60k per way on united with many different airline options. Which airline is best when booking with MileagePlus? Is there a better program than MileagePlus to start saving on? It's 2 people so we thought of maybe applying for a cc that offered yearly companion passes (like the LH miles and more card...) so we could only save for one person and redeem companion on the second. Thoughts? Advice? Thanks people!!!!!!!!!1
כפרות על כפרה

Offline nam

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
there is elal going straight from tlv to bkk

Offline ranhan429

• View Profile
there is elal going straight from tlv to bkk

how can I book them business (using miles obviously)? I was under impression you can only use AA miles to book elal in economy. We want to have an excellent flying experience .. how is elal first/buiz class to thailand?
כפרות על כפרה

Offline nam

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
you can book for Elal biz  with 30k AA miles(only on the phone Elal dosnt show up online) with out fees, That's a good bargain in my opinion
cant book first on Elal with AA

Offline ranhan429

• View Profile
you can book for Elal biz  with 30k AA miles(only on the phone Elal dosnt show up online) with out fees, That's a good bargain in my opinion
cant book first on Elal with AA

yeah. pretty cheap for direct flight (wait 30k is per direction or round trip??). But still rather have a stop over and have an amazing biz class flight experience. That's part of the fun no?!! Will keep el al thing in back pocket though if all else fails 30k AA miles so easy to rack up :) -- i think I have about 130k right now (I plan on using that by then though!!!!!!  :P).
כפרות על כפרה

Offline ilherman

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
30k OW.
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
El Al has First Class as well.

Offline chucksterace

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 40
    • View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
  • Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Premier 1K; ; LY Plat; Hyatt Platinum; Hertz President's Circle; Avis President's Club
El Al has First Class as well.

But only bookable with Matmid points
You may not hold me responsible for any actions taken that were recommended from my account or username.

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
If you want something nice, go with Korean with a stop in ICN. Awesome First Class. Great availability.

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
But only bookable with Matmid points
Correct, as mentioned before.

Offline chucksterace

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 40
    • View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
  • Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Premier 1K; ; LY Plat; Hyatt Platinum; Hertz President's Circle; Avis President's Club
If you want something nice, go with Korean with a stop in ICN. Awesome First Class. Great availability.

How many points total?
You may not hold me responsible for any actions taken that were recommended from my account or username.

Offline ranhan429

• View Profile

Cool! Best way to book? What mileage program and cc  u recommend saving up for this reward? I don't see it as a starwood transfer. Unless it can be booked via another airline... thanks for the help :)!

// I'm assuming this is a good airline??? Need to do research of course...

EDIT: Duh, UR transfers into Korean. How many do we need for 2 first class tix?

EDIT2: A quick search on Korean award booking tool says no flights available for this route (TLV-BKK). Not sure if it's some kind of bug though because I was able to find both tlv and bkk. Insight??
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 09:10:13 PM by ranhan429 »
כפרות על כפרה

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
Cool! Best way to book? What mileage program and cc  u recommend saving up for this reward? I don't see it as a starwood transfer. Unless it can be booked via another airline... thanks for the help :)!

// I'm assuming this is a good airline??? Need to do research of course...

EDIT: Duh, UR transfers into Korean. How many do we need for 2 first class tix?

EDIT2: A quick search on Korean award booking tool says no flights available for this route (TLV-BKK). Not sure if it's some kind of bug though because I was able to find both tlv and bkk. Insight??
You probably have to search each leg separately.

Offline DXD

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Question about booking through AA - will the reps let me book by parts.

For example I am seeing SaverAward availability ORD -> CLT and then CLT -> BCN. However, when I search ORD -> BCN, I get nothing. Is there a way around it?

Thanks!
Modify message

Offline Yungerman

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
One way
Maximum stops:1
To: MIA/FLL
Departure dates: 7/04/14
Class: Any(Saver)
Seats:1
Alliance/Airline: Any SPG Partner

Needs to arrive before 4:30(It's Erev Shabbos)

Offline ranhan429

• View Profile
You probably have to search each leg separately.

Am i reading correctly that korean chart is per leg, so that korea - tlv (middle east) is 160k off peak and then korea - bkk (southeast asia) is 90k off peak, meaning a total of 250k RT/pp in "first class"

That's a ton of UR points -- but of course anything is doable with MS // signup bonuses :D what is prestige class? a nicer word for business? Have you flown both? Is Prestige really nice as well? We are used to Economy.. so maybe the 185k RT/pp in "prestige class" would be great for us anyway.

We can fly for 120k RT/pp in biz or 220 RT/pp in First via booking on UA, on the various airlines, which mostly seems to include (easily available): Thai Airways, Tyrolean Air, Egypt Air, EVA(?) , turkish (but only 9W by turkish on biz), swiss,

EDIT: Found swiss biz availability with short connection in zurich (not the right dates, but I see it's possible!) I heard swiss had very nice biz/first class. Compared to korean? 120k/pp RT seems like a pretty good deal to me.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 08:20:44 AM by ranhan429 »
כפרות על כפרה

Offline Wegos27

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
One way/Round trip:  Round Trip
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any:  No Stops
To: Florida (FLL or Miami
Departure dates: 5/15 or 5/16
Return airports: NYC
Return dates: 5/19, 5/20, 5/21