Topic Wiki

Please follow the following rules when posting in this thread. Failure to do so may result in you request being ignored or deleted.

(If you are looking to purchase a paid ticket, please post here)

FAQs:

Q: How can I use my credit card points to book a USA-TLV ticket?
A: Please read Dan's very helpful and informative guides found here and here

Great tool to see the mileage cost for a route http://www.awardhacker.com

Q: Do I have to pay a lot of money when using miles for a ticket?

A: Sometimes. For more information read this

Q: How do I find award availability?
A: For Star Alliance (United, AirCanada, Lufthansa, Swiss, and others) see this guide

For OneWorld (AmericanAirlines, BritishAirways, Iberia, Malev, and more) You can use BA's award search engine (you need to have a free BA account to access the engine). In addition, you can use Qantas' engine (free account needed as well), which will (to an extent) search Elal. As of this posting, the Elal business flights that show up are coach, and vice verse.

For Delta and AirFrance, use their respective sites. While not perfect, they are quite manageable for the casual searcher.

And of course, many of us here will take time out to help someone who is trying to learn.

Q: All this searching is making me crazy. Is there an easier way?
A: Yes, but it might cost you. Check out AwardNexus.com, KVStool.com, and expertflyer.com.

Q: I see AirCanada availability, but when I call AirCanada they say I can't use my United miles with them. Aren't they partners?
A: You can only use miles with the airline that issued them. Through that airline (in our case United) they can issue a ticket on a partner (ie AirCanada). Trying to call AirCanada with United miles, is like trying to use shekels in Mexico.

Q: I can't find availability on my dates. What should I do?
A: You should try to be as flexible as possible. Can you add a stop or 2? Can you be more flexible with your dates? The airports?
If all else fails, keep trying. Availability is constantly opening up.

Q: Can someone please help me find a ticket?
A: No! Find it yourself.  ;D ;D Just kidding. Please copy the following lines, delete the non bolded parts, and fill it out in your post.

One way/Round-trip:
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any:
To: All airports which you can arrive at. For multiple destinations, just keep adding this line
Departure dates: All possible dates that you can depart on. Please be as specific as possible.
Return airports:If different from 'To' line. Delete this line for One-way tickets
Return dates: Delete this line for One-way tickets
Class: First/Business/Coach/Any
Seats: Total number of people traveling over the age of 2
Alliance/Airline: What airline or alliance are you looking to fly with

IF you have any airline status or credit cards (Ie, United CC or status) that gives extended seat availability, please add that. Would be helpful to find you correct availability.

An additional note about using miles for direct flights from NYC-TLV

NYC-TLV is only served by 3 carriers non-stop, United, Delta, and El Al. Saver availability on Delta is non-existent. Saver availability on United is rare but sometimes available close-in. It is almost never available on or near holidays or holiday weekends, or around yomim tovim. Any award space that opens will be snatched up immediately so you have to constantly be checking if you hope to snag it if/when it opens. El AL awards are more readily available but prohibitively expensive using Matmid points (El Al's frequent flyer program) but may be able to be booked using Quantas points (transfers from Citi & Amex) at a much more reasonable rate.

This leaves the following options if no saver availability:

The Chase travel portal will let you use Ultimate Rewards, or a combination or UR and cash to book flights. If you have a Sapphire Reserve or a Sapphire Preferred, the redemption rate will be 1.5 cents per point or 1.25 cents per point respectively, instead of the regular 1 cent per point without them. (A, Ink cash or Ink Preferred will also give you the 1.25 cpp redemption rate.)

The Amex travel portal will let you redeem points at 1 cent per point towards the cost of air travel. If you have a grandfathered Business Platinum card, you will get 50% of the points you redeem back around a month after you book the ticket. If you have a non-grandfathered card, you will get 35% of your points back. (This is only available when redeeming points for tickets on your selected American carrier in economy class or on any airline in business or first class.)

The Citi travel portal also lets you redeem points at 1 cent per point towards travel and seems to have better pricing on El Al in business class.

Alternatively, you can sell your points (not here on DDF) and use the cash to buy regular tickets. This is usually the best option for people without either a Chase Sapphire Reserve or grandfathered Business Platinum who are flying economy.

Those are your only options for nonstop travel. For options with a stopover and more information in general, see https://www.dansdeals.com/points-travel/milespoints/the-ultimate-israel-mileage-award-chart/

This keeps on getting asked over and over. Besides Dan's comprehensive list of how to get to, or from, TLV here is a short list of options for travel to or from NYC in Y:
Lowest point per RT is FB 50K (less with promo, but YQ of ~$500 unless you can find unicorn DL availability), AA 80k (AA metal for transatlantic), AC 80k (LX or LO for low YQ) and UA 85k. Half that for OW.

Please add any other information to this wiki that you feel might be useful.

Author Topic: Need help finding a ticket? Post here! Award ticket edition (Master thread)  (Read 1839177 times)

Offline markos

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Need help finding a ticket? Post here! Award ticket edition (Master thread)
« Reply #5820 on: October 28, 2014, 01:57:48 AM »
Looking for some help going from Boston to New Orleans
Just got the Chase Sapphire Preferred so I should have the 40k miles by the time I need to travel

One way/Round trip: Roundtrip
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any: Any way that gets there with the least miles/cost
To: New Orleans
Departure dates: Around December 29th to January 5th
Class: Coach

Having trouble figuring this one out. I believe I could use Avios from Boston to Philadelphia and then from there to New Orleans and back. Total would be 24k Avios miles

Is there someway to do this with United Saver short term 10k miles?

My dates are rather flexible on both ends and my main concern is being there for New Years. I'm open to all forms of travel/connection. I looked at Amtrak but it appears to fall within their blackout dates.

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #5821 on: October 28, 2014, 02:39:50 AM »
Nothing. I have lots of Hyatt points though. Maybe I will trade them for citi points which can transfer to Sq or CX

So you should probably be posting in the paid ticket thread, this is for miles.

Offline Yaalili

• View Profile
« Reply #5822 on: October 28, 2014, 02:45:29 AM »
I signed up my rents a few months ago for the Citi AA cards (100 and 60, so now we have 110 and 85 between them (and I can transfer my own to get mom to 100)), and I want to get them on an award ticket to see my brother in LHR on MLK jr. Weekend.
They'd like to depart on the 14th, return the 19th.
They're willing to change planes once, but more than that would probably be too much for mom.
Problem is, BA is what's showing on the AA search, and the fuel surcharges are immense.
Any ideas on how to get them there cheaper?  We also have about 150k amex points and a good deal of UR points.
Preference to AA though.
Thanks!
Preferred cabin business

Nothing currently available in biz or first not operated by ba. There is good availability in economy though. Maybe check to see what an amex partner has.

Offline Yaalili

• View Profile
« Reply #5823 on: October 28, 2014, 02:54:53 AM »
ne way/Round trip:
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any: max 1
From: All airports from which you can depart Philadelphia  or NY Airports
To: All airports which you can arrive at. For multiple destinations, just keep adding this line  Tel Aviv
Departure dates: All possible dates that you can depart on. Please be as specific as possible.  10/8 or 10/9(earlier in the day would be best)
Return airports: If different from 'To' line. Delete this line for One way tickets any of the above airports if cant fnd both ways would take one way
Return dates: Delete this line for One way tickets 10/15 or 10/16
Class: First/Business/Coach/Any Business or Coach
Seats: Total number of people traveling over the age of 2  just myself
Alliance/Airline: What airline or alliance are you looking to fly with  Amex MR, UA, UR, SPG, BA, AA

Maybe check closer in, you are looking for tickets almost 12 months in advance.

Offline LAGS

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5824 on: October 28, 2014, 01:42:03 PM »
Thanks in advance to anyone who responds! I'm reading a lot but still very much a noob.

One way/Round trip: Round Trip
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any: Ideally Non-Stop for each of the legs, but up to 1 stop doable
To: EZE, AEP, FTE, IGR (can switch up the order, but want to hit all three spots)
Departure dates/ Return dates: Somewhat flexible. Looking for about 10 day trip - can leave as early as 12/21/14 and must return by 1/23/15
Class: Cheapest
Seats: 2
Alliance/Airline: Have some UR and Starwood points. Minimal amounts of airline specific (AA, United, Flying Blue)

Found the following itinerary on Aerolineas Argentinas for pay. Looking for some award options to hopefully defray some of the (expensive!) airfare. Wasn't able to find this itinerary through rewards. Searched AA and ANA - found some outbound flights but nothing returning.

12/31 : JFK–EZE
1/4 : AEP–FTE
1/7 : FTE–IGR
1/9 : IGR–AEP
1/11 : EZE–JFK

Thanks!

Offline Azis Papa

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5825 on: October 28, 2014, 02:45:42 PM »
One way/Round trip: Round trip
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any: Non-stop
To: FLL, PBI
Departure dates: January 19, 2015
Return dates: January 25th or 26th
Class: Coach
Seats: 4 (2 Adults & 2 children ages 3 & 5)
Alliance/Airline: Any

Offline zow

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5826 on: October 28, 2014, 03:13:41 PM »
I would like to fly from London to either Amsterdam or Paris. I have lots of Avios and there seems to be plenty of flight availability. Dan has mentioned that flying out of London on BA gets hit with a huge airport departure fee/tax (like $200 per person or more), and that seems to be the case when I try to book with Avios on BA.  Is there any workaround? Thanks.

Reposting this question, as it was originally posted in the wee hours of the morning on the East Coast. Thank you.

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5827 on: October 28, 2014, 03:38:31 PM »
Trying to help a friend out. He needs to go from NY to anywhere in Europe on 12/21-24 and return 1/4 again from anywhere in Europe (not the same city he landed in). He has 60K UR which is enough to transfer to UA and pay 30K each way if there's Saver avail.

How would I go about helping him? Just go onto UA.com and try NY-CDG, NY-FRA, NY-LHR, etc etc? Is there a better way? Is UA even the way to go? Would transferring to a different UR partner be smarter?

Offline eis517

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG, United
« Reply #5828 on: October 28, 2014, 03:54:17 PM »
I am looking to go from Toronto to Miami (FLL or MIA), but stop over in EWR on the way. Looking for this:

February 8th- YYZ-EWR in the AM
February 9th- EWR- FLL or MIA in the AM
February 13- FLL or MIA- YYZ in the AM

I have 100K starwood, 250K UR, 200K United and 75K BA.

Any suggestions? Ideally we do not want to pay for luggage and have the United CC, but that is not a deal breaker. We do not care about class. Does anyone know how to get a 22 hour layover on United as part of the trip, without it costing extra?

Offline hgeek23

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
    • Israel Olympian AJ Edelman / Israel Bobsled BobTeam Edelman
  • Location: A bobsled track going 90mph, or in a plane doing 500.
  • Programs: Sleeping-on-couches (Hachnasat Orchim) Diamond
« Reply #5829 on: October 28, 2014, 05:52:07 PM »
Nothing currently available in biz or first not operated by ba. There is good availability in economy though. Maybe check to see what an amex partner has.
Not sure who else I'd check. *A doesn't seem to have anything

Offline Yaalili

• View Profile
« Reply #5830 on: October 28, 2014, 06:00:56 PM »
Not sure who else I'd check. *A doesn't seem to have anything

Amex transfer to Delta and Virgin check to see if they have avail.

Offline princea143

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5831 on: October 28, 2014, 11:54:18 PM »
This is a repost as I posted this very early in the morning a few days ago.  I'd appreciate the help:

One way/Round trip: RT
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any: Any
To: HKG, MFM
Departure dates: 11/17, 11/18, or 11/19
Return airports: LAX
Return dates: 11/23 Evening or 11/24 Morning (need to be in LAX morning of the 24th at the latest)
Class: Any cheapest
Alliance/Airline: Any
I have a Citi Exec, UMPE, Amex Delta Gold, BA, Amex Plat as far as possible status goes.
I also have:
105,322 AA
190,657 UR
59,046 UA
141,223 BA
76,548 MR
21,524 SPG
32,141 Delta Miles

My wife and I were invited to the Pacquiao fight in Macau on November 22nd, yet I won't know if the free tickets will be for sure until a week or so before the fight.  It's about 80% for sure.  :-\  It may not be a good idea to find tickets now, but if someone could give me a crash course or let me know where and how to look, so I could be ready to pull the trigger when I get the green light, it would be greatly appreciated.  I'm not so savvy yet with the utilization aspect of points/miles.
Things to keep in mind: With the time difference, we need to be there by the 21st in their time zone, so we could leave at the latest the 19th here in the evening, but we would not mind leaving before, so we could tour HK or Macau and get rid of the jetlag before the fight.  We are willing to go to HKG and take the ferry to Macau if it is not feasible to go directly to Macau.  I'm looking for the cheapest way to get there with points.  Thanks in advance!         

Offline jbwan

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5832 on: October 28, 2014, 11:56:59 PM »
One way
Non-stop
To: MIA or FLL
Departure dates: December 25 or 26th AM
Class:Any
Seats: 4
Alliance/Airline:ANY

Wanted to use avios but no more flight availability for that date (unless Im searching it wrong). I have Avios, Amex starwood points, AA points, regular Amex points, Chase ink points and United Explorer points...

Any suggestions?

(sorry if this double posted, browser froze)

Offline solls108

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5833 on: October 29, 2014, 10:57:10 AM »
Anyone know of any deals from JFK, LGA -- MIA?

Dates are between Dec 21-23 until Dec 31-Jan 4

Offline YY

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5834 on: October 29, 2014, 01:03:29 PM »
One way/Round trip: one way
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any: Any
To: TLV
Departure dates: 01/06/15 - 01/08/15
Class: Any
Seats: 1
Alliance/Airline: Any airline, but no stops in Turkey, Russia, Greece, or the like.

I have both Amex MR and Chase UR points

so far best I have found is 42,500 points

Offline Yaalili

• View Profile
« Reply #5835 on: October 29, 2014, 01:09:40 PM »
Greece, or the like.

That's a new one.

so far best I have found is 42,500 points

42,500 points for a one way to Israel is about the going rate on US carriers, what are you looking to get it for?

Offline LAGS

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5836 on: October 29, 2014, 01:59:54 PM »
Thanks in advance to anyone who responds! I'm reading a lot but still very much a noob.

One way/Round trip: Round Trip
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any: Ideally Non-Stop for each of the legs, but up to 1 stop doable
To: EZE, AEP, FTE, IGR (can switch up the order, but want to hit all three spots)
Departure dates/ Return dates: Somewhat flexible. Looking for about 10 day trip - can leave as early as 12/21/14 and must return by 1/23/15
Class: Cheapest
Alliance/Airline: Have some UR and Starwood points. Minimal amounts of airline specific (AA, United, Flying Blue)

Found the following itinerary on Aerolineas Argentinas for pay. Looking for some award options to hopefully defray some of the (expensive!) airfare. Wasn't able to find this itinerary through rewards. Searched AA and ANA - found some outbound flights but nothing returning.

12/31 : JFK–EZE
1/4 : AEP–FTE
1/7 : FTE–IGR
1/9 : IGR–AEP
1/11 : EZE–JFK

Thanks!

Update: I found an outbound JFK-EZE for 20K miles on AA. For return, Flying Blue calendar shows availability EZE-JFK on 1/21 for 25K miles. Yet when I click on select flights the cheapest options are 65K miles (and connecting in Europe).  Any ideas on why? Can't find any other returns on any of the other searches. Any help in general? TIA

Offline Yaalili

• View Profile
« Reply #5837 on: October 29, 2014, 02:09:54 PM »
Update: I found an outbound JFK-EZE for 20K miles on AA. For return, Flying Blue calendar shows availability EZE-JFK on 1/21 for 25K miles. Yet when I click on select flights the cheapest options are 65K miles (and connecting in Europe).  Any ideas on why? Can't find any other returns on any of the other searches. Any help in general? TIA

Interesting same when I search it. Only date in that range I see available is the 19th, connecting in Mexico City on Aeromexico.

Offline YY

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5838 on: October 29, 2014, 03:47:33 PM »
That's a new one.

42,500 points for a one way to Israel is about the going rate on US carriers, what are you looking to get it for?
I was hoping for less, but if you are saying that is the going rate.
Just seems like a waste of miles for a coach ticket
Would I be better off just purchasing with $$$, what would be the going rate for that ?

Offline LAGS

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5839 on: October 29, 2014, 04:19:11 PM »
Interesting same when I search it. Only date in that range I see available is the 19th, connecting in Mexico City on Aeromexico.

How can I find that Aeromexico ticket? Ever seen that issue with Flying Blue in the past - or any ideas on a workaround?