Topic Wiki

Please follow the following rules when posting in this thread. Failure to do so may result in you request being ignored or deleted.

(If you are looking to purchase a paid ticket, please post here)

FAQs:

Q: How can I use my credit card points to book a USA-TLV ticket?
A: Please read Dan's very helpful and informative guides found here and here

Great tool to see the mileage cost for a route http://www.awardhacker.com

Q: Do I have to pay a lot of money when using miles for a ticket?

A: Sometimes. For more information read this

Q: How do I find award availability?
A: For Star Alliance (United, AirCanada, Lufthansa, Swiss, and others) see this guide

For OneWorld (AmericanAirlines, BritishAirways, Iberia, Malev, and more) You can use BA's award search engine (you need to have a free BA account to access the engine). In addition, you can use Qantas' engine (free account needed as well), which will (to an extent) search Elal. As of this posting, the Elal business flights that show up are coach, and vice verse.

For Delta and AirFrance, use their respective sites. While not perfect, they are quite manageable for the casual searcher.

And of course, many of us here will take time out to help someone who is trying to learn.

Q: All this searching is making me crazy. Is there an easier way?
A: Yes, but it might cost you. Check out AwardNexus.com, KVStool.com, and expertflyer.com.

Q: I see AirCanada availability, but when I call AirCanada they say I can't use my United miles with them. Aren't they partners?
A: You can only use miles with the airline that issued them. Through that airline (in our case United) they can issue a ticket on a partner (ie AirCanada). Trying to call AirCanada with United miles, is like trying to use shekels in Mexico.

Q: I can't find availability on my dates. What should I do?
A: You should try to be as flexible as possible. Can you add a stop or 2? Can you be more flexible with your dates? The airports?
If all else fails, keep trying. Availability is constantly opening up.

Q: Can someone please help me find a ticket?
A: No! Find it yourself.  ;D ;D Just kidding. Please copy the following lines, delete the non bolded parts, and fill it out in your post.

One way/Round-trip:
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any:
To: All airports which you can arrive at. For multiple destinations, just keep adding this line
Departure dates: All possible dates that you can depart on. Please be as specific as possible.
Return airports:If different from 'To' line. Delete this line for One-way tickets
Return dates: Delete this line for One-way tickets
Class: First/Business/Coach/Any
Seats: Total number of people traveling over the age of 2
Alliance/Airline: What airline or alliance are you looking to fly with

IF you have any airline status or credit cards (Ie, United CC or status) that gives extended seat availability, please add that. Would be helpful to find you correct availability.

An additional note about using miles for direct flights from NYC-TLV

NYC-TLV is only served by 3 carriers non-stop, United, Delta, and El Al. Saver availability on Delta is non-existent. Saver availability on United is rare but sometimes available close-in. It is almost never available on or near holidays or holiday weekends, or around yomim tovim. Any award space that opens will be snatched up immediately so you have to constantly be checking if you hope to snag it if/when it opens. El AL awards are more readily available but prohibitively expensive using Matmid points (El Al's frequent flyer program) but may be able to be booked using Quantas points (transfers from Citi & Amex) at a much more reasonable rate.

This leaves the following options if no saver availability:

The Chase travel portal will let you use Ultimate Rewards, or a combination or UR and cash to book flights. If you have a Sapphire Reserve or a Sapphire Preferred, the redemption rate will be 1.5 cents per point or 1.25 cents per point respectively, instead of the regular 1 cent per point without them. (A, Ink cash or Ink Preferred will also give you the 1.25 cpp redemption rate.)

The Amex travel portal will let you redeem points at 1 cent per point towards the cost of air travel. If you have a grandfathered Business Platinum card, you will get 50% of the points you redeem back around a month after you book the ticket. If you have a non-grandfathered card, you will get 35% of your points back. (This is only available when redeeming points for tickets on your selected American carrier in economy class or on any airline in business or first class.)

The Citi travel portal also lets you redeem points at 1 cent per point towards travel and seems to have better pricing on El Al in business class.

Alternatively, you can sell your points (not here on DDF) and use the cash to buy regular tickets. This is usually the best option for people without either a Chase Sapphire Reserve or grandfathered Business Platinum who are flying economy.

Those are your only options for nonstop travel. For options with a stopover and more information in general, see https://www.dansdeals.com/points-travel/milespoints/the-ultimate-israel-mileage-award-chart/

This keeps on getting asked over and over. Besides Dan's comprehensive list of how to get to, or from, TLV here is a short list of options for travel to or from NYC in Y:
Lowest point per RT is FB 50K (less with promo, but YQ of ~$500 unless you can find unicorn DL availability), AA 80k (AA metal for transatlantic), AC 80k (LX or LO for low YQ) and UA 85k. Half that for OW.

Please add any other information to this wiki that you feel might be useful.

Author Topic: Need help finding a ticket? Post here! Award ticket edition (Master thread)  (Read 1868745 times)

Offline yoshi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
I'm planning on doing a trip to Asia, Departing from tlv. Is there a mileage program to use that can book round the world. (tlv-BKK then fly to areas in the area) If yes what price will I be looking at?
Thanks
Bump

Offline jolielga6

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
Help! Trying to book a ticket for my teenage son for this summer to Israel.  I started the search using Avios pts....found some tickets -- but, costs seem high: 75,000 pts and $600 in fees?!!! Might as well just buy a ticket at that rate.
I'm assuming I can do better -- but, finding the search process overwhelming. I've read through the posts -- but, if you can point me in a specific direction, that would be very  much appreciated.

Here are the details:
R/T
Non-stop or 1-stop
NYC area airports
TLV
Can fly 7/4 -7/7 (must be in Israel by 7/7)
Return flight 8/19, 8/20, 8/22
Coach class
1 person

I'm looking to use my reward points from our Am Ex and/or Chase Signature account. We have about 175,000 combined pts.

THANK YOU!!!

Offline solmeir

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
I'm trying to go visit my ill grandfather on sunday 5/3. There is saver availability on Delta but when I called FB they were unable to find any direct flights.

R/T
Non-stop
NYC area airports
DTW
5/3 Early AM
Return flight 5/3 Late PM
Coach class
3 people
Have AA Amex and Starwood

Offline high end hobo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Round trip:
1 or 2 stops
To: ATH
Departure dates: July 2
Return dates: July 12th
Class: First/Business
Seats: 2

was wondering if someone has LH miles and can see if they have any availability?
will give a bonus via chase quickpay if someone can find a good routing (not through Moscow or cairo!)

Offline Mendyh

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
Preferred non- stop, but willing to stop 1
To: TEL AVIV
Departure dates:
June 21-25. The earlier the better.
Return dates:  July 2-8, July 5 or 6 preferred
Class: Any
Seats: 7. Willing to fly in 2 groups,
Alliance/Airline: What airline or alliance are you looking to fly with
We thought to use our miles to purchase as many seats as possible on ElAl and remaining passengers can fly on cheapest flight .
It would be easier to fly on one flight together with cheapest safest carrier from Bostom

It seems that transferring everything To flying Blue, and flying on
Air France, or Delta, might be cheaper than El Al.

Points, 19,522

Spg 2

Points, 107,316

Amex mbr points 247,428

Chase ink ultimate rewards 84,714

Delta 6000 points

USAir American, 54,182 miles

Southwest rapid rewards 76,600

British airways Avios 62,000

Willing to reward with reasonable price for help. Thank you

Offline moelichter

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
NYC to MIA one way, i have like 15,000 BA points from a few previous flights, how can i use them/ transfer them to some other points system to fly to miami?

Offline CS91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
NYC to MIA one way, i have like 15,000 BA points from a few previous flights, how can i use them/ transfer them to some other points system to fly to miami?

Book on BA.com. Will put you on an AA/US Air flight. If you find availability, it is 7,500 BA points OW.

Offline Diamondave

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
Hi, I am pretty new here so please bare with me.

I am looking to fly from Pittsburgh to Johannesburg from May 17th and returning May 31st. My question is what is the best mileage program to use to book award tickets for this route?

One way/Round trip: Round Trip
Max stops is 2
Jfk, Atlanta, Washington Dc, Pittsburgh
To: JNB
Departure dates: May 17th or 18th

Return dates: May 31st or June 1st
Class: preferable business but will do coach as well
Alliance/Airline: one with best mileage deal. I have amex points, Ba points, chase points, Delta miles, American miles, and some united miles

Offline Ulitkany

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Can someone help me finding award round trip tickets from NYC to MSQ anytime in May, preferably staying in MSQ for 8-10 days, including 2 weekends
Economy
Preferably 1 short Stop on a way to MSQ and overnight stop on a way back to NYC to have time to enjoy any European City

I have Miles & More Card and 62K Lufthansa Miles
US Airways c/c & 181K AA miles
United c/c and 72K United miles
60K Avios, 200K Chase UR points and 50K AMEX

I tried searching on http://www.economicalexcursionists.com/travelTools/

And got the cheapest option from AA during Off Peak for only 20,000 in Economy if travelled before May 15th.  Unfortunately, when I tried searching any flights to MSQ directly on AA.com it didn't show any routes :(

IF you have any airline status or credit cards (Ie, United CC or status) that gives extended seat availability, please add that. Would be helpful to find you correct availability.

Offline jolielga6

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
Sorry for the double post -- but, didn't get an answer the first time, decided to try again.  TIA.

Trying to book a ticket for my teenage son for this summer to Israel.  I started the search using Avios pts....found some tickets -- but, costs seem high: 75,000 pts and $600 in fees?!!! Might as well just buy a ticket at that rate.
I'm assuming I can do better -- but, finding the search process overwhelming. I've read through the posts -- but, if you can point me in a specific direction, that would be very  much appreciated.

Here are the details:
R/T
Non-stop or 1-stop
NYC area airports
TLV
Coach class
1 person

I'm looking to use my reward points from our Am Ex and/or Chase Signature account. We have about 175,000 combined pts.

THANK YOU!!!

Offline DMYD

• View Profile
Sorry for the double post -- but, didn't get an answer the first time, decided to try again.  TIA.

Trying to book a ticket for my teenage son for this summer to Israel.  I started the search using Avios pts....found some tickets -- but, costs seem high: 75,000 pts and $600 in fees?!!! Might as well just buy a ticket at that rate.

Here are the details:
R/T
Non-stop or 1-stop
NYC area airports
TLV
Coach class
1 person

THANK YOU!!!
How many do you have in your chase account?

Offline unavailable

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Can someone please tell me what is the cheapest way to get to Europe (belguim)
I have ba points
Thanks

Offline Gets

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Hi. I'm looking for two tickets Phx-Ewr 05/21/15. Night flight
Having trouble finding anything decently priced. Tia

Offline fafa123

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Looking for ideas for a week's vacation for me and hubby.  Need help.  Can't figure out how to view TAM and LAN flights via BA or Qantas. 

In sum,
R/T
Non-stop or 1-stop
NYC area airports
EZE, LIM, YYC, YEG, NAP, or RKV
Leave - 6/28/15 (but could go earlier - Wed 6/24, Thursday 6/25 - or later - Monday 6/29, or Tues 6/30)
Return flight - 1 week later but no later than Thursday July 9
Coach class (would consider business)
2 people

We have:
Chase UR 230,000
AA currently 53,000 but another 100,000 expected shortly
United 62,000
BA 42,500

Offline DMYD

• View Profile
Looking for ideas for a week's vacation for me and hubby.  Need help.  Can't figure out how to view TAM and LAN flights via BA or Qantas. 

In sum,
R/T
Non-stop or 1-stop
NYC area airports
EZE, LIM, YYC, YEG, NAP, or RKV
Leave - 6/28/15 (but could go earlier - Wed 6/24, Thursday 6/25 - or later - Monday 6/29, or Tues 6/30)
Return flight - 1 week later but no later than Thursday July 9
Coach class (would consider business)
2 people

We have:
Chase UR 230,000
AA currently 53,000 but another 100,000 expected shortly
United 62,000
BA 42,500
You got to give a specific destination, but you would have enough points by just looking at how much UR you have.

Offline fafa123

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
"You got to give a specific destination, but you would have enough points by just looking at how much UR you have."

I'd be interested in going to Buenos Aires (EZE), Peru (LIM), Banff (either YYC or YEG), Naples (NAP), or Reykavik (RKV).  I am not seeing any free flights for both ways on my dates.  Don't know how to check the South American partners, tried thru Qantas and BA but not a single flight came up.  Unsure how to get to RKV on only one stop.  Any advise would be helpful.

Offline WorldEtrogger

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
Hi! We are short on cash, but really want to go to Israel, and possibly a few days in Italy if that's in the works..
I have a AAdvantage mastercard, as does my wife. I have 50,000 miles on American, my wife has 10,000. I have 15,256 Avios on British airways. My wife also has 15,256 Avios. And that's about it.

Is there any mix of miles that we can use to get these tickets? Or to make buying the tickets less expensive?
Thank you!

One way/Round trip: Round trip
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any: Any
To: TLV. It would be extra nice if we could have a stop over for up to 5 days in Rome (ROM).
Departure dates: Any day from June 30 to July 3.
Return airports:JFK or any NYC airport, even ISP.
Return dates: Any day between July 12-16
Alliance/Airline: Any except: Iberia, Jordanian, Aeroflot, Transaero, Airosvit, UIA

Offline DMYD

• View Profile
Hi! We are short on cash, but really want to go to Israel, and possibly a few days in Italy if that's in the works..
I have a AAdvantage mastercard, as does my wife. I have 50,000 miles on American, my wife has 10,000. I have 15,256 Avios on British airways. My wife also has 15,256 Avios. And that's about it.

Is there any mix of miles that we can use to get these tickets? Or to make buying the tickets less expensive?
Thank you!

Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any: Any
To: TLV. It would be extra nice if we could have a stop over for up to 5 days in Rome (ROM).
Departure dates: Any day from June 30 to July 3.
Return airports:JFK or any NYC airport, even ISP.
Return dates: Any day between July 12-16
Alliance/Airline: Any except: Iberia, Jordanian, Aeroflot, Transaero, Airosvit, UIA
Sorry to say but you don't have enough points for 2 tickets to Israel.

Try accumulating a couple 100k in UR or/and MR so you would have some more options.

Offline arties

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
It's two of us plus an infant.  We want to go tour Italy.  Preferably leaving or departing from Rome and same for Venice (would take train in between). looking to go between 7-11 days.  Prefer non-stop

We can go last week of June through August 14th, except for the week of July 12th.     We live in NYC.    I can borrow points if its worth while, so just want the best deal....I have about 90K american, 90K Avios - but any best program would work.

Offline aryeh1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any: maximum 1 stop
To:  SEA
Departure dates: May 22
Return airports: LYH
Return dates: May 26
Seats: 1
Alliance/Airline: Any , it seems AA is only availibility but seems more expensive to book with miles?