Topic Wiki

Please follow the following rules when posting in this thread. Failure to do so may result in you request being ignored or deleted.

(If you are looking to purchase a paid ticket, please post here)

FAQs:

Q: How can I use my credit card points to book a USA-TLV ticket?
A: Please read Dan's very helpful and informative guides found here and here

Great tool to see the mileage cost for a route http://www.awardhacker.com

Q: Do I have to pay a lot of money when using miles for a ticket?

A: Sometimes. For more information read this

Q: How do I find award availability?
A: For Star Alliance (United, AirCanada, Lufthansa, Swiss, and others) see this guide

For OneWorld (AmericanAirlines, BritishAirways, Iberia, Malev, and more) You can use BA's award search engine (you need to have a free BA account to access the engine). In addition, you can use Qantas' engine (free account needed as well), which will (to an extent) search Elal. As of this posting, the Elal business flights that show up are coach, and vice verse.

For Delta and AirFrance, use their respective sites. While not perfect, they are quite manageable for the casual searcher.

And of course, many of us here will take time out to help someone who is trying to learn.

Q: All this searching is making me crazy. Is there an easier way?
A: Yes, but it might cost you. Check out AwardNexus.com, KVStool.com, and expertflyer.com.

Q: I see AirCanada availability, but when I call AirCanada they say I can't use my United miles with them. Aren't they partners?
A: You can only use miles with the airline that issued them. Through that airline (in our case United) they can issue a ticket on a partner (ie AirCanada). Trying to call AirCanada with United miles, is like trying to use shekels in Mexico.

Q: I can't find availability on my dates. What should I do?
A: You should try to be as flexible as possible. Can you add a stop or 2? Can you be more flexible with your dates? The airports?
If all else fails, keep trying. Availability is constantly opening up.

Q: Can someone please help me find a ticket?
A: No! Find it yourself.  ;D ;D Just kidding. Please copy the following lines, delete the non bolded parts, and fill it out in your post.

One way/Round-trip:
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any:
To: All airports which you can arrive at. For multiple destinations, just keep adding this line
Departure dates: All possible dates that you can depart on. Please be as specific as possible.
Return airports:If different from 'To' line. Delete this line for One-way tickets
Return dates: Delete this line for One-way tickets
Class: First/Business/Coach/Any
Seats: Total number of people traveling over the age of 2
Alliance/Airline: What airline or alliance are you looking to fly with

IF you have any airline status or credit cards (Ie, United CC or status) that gives extended seat availability, please add that. Would be helpful to find you correct availability.

An additional note about using miles for direct flights from NYC-TLV

NYC-TLV is only served by 3 carriers non-stop, United, Delta, and El Al. Saver availability on Delta is non-existent. Saver availability on United is rare but sometimes available close-in. It is almost never available on or near holidays or holiday weekends, or around yomim tovim. Any award space that opens will be snatched up immediately so you have to constantly be checking if you hope to snag it if/when it opens. El AL awards are more readily available but prohibitively expensive using Matmid points (El Al's frequent flyer program) but may be able to be booked using Quantas points (transfers from Citi & Amex) at a much more reasonable rate.

This leaves the following options if no saver availability:

The Chase travel portal will let you use Ultimate Rewards, or a combination or UR and cash to book flights. If you have a Sapphire Reserve or a Sapphire Preferred, the redemption rate will be 1.5 cents per point or 1.25 cents per point respectively, instead of the regular 1 cent per point without them. (A, Ink cash or Ink Preferred will also give you the 1.25 cpp redemption rate.)

The Amex travel portal will let you redeem points at 1 cent per point towards the cost of air travel. If you have a grandfathered Business Platinum card, you will get 50% of the points you redeem back around a month after you book the ticket. If you have a non-grandfathered card, you will get 35% of your points back. (This is only available when redeeming points for tickets on your selected American carrier in economy class or on any airline in business or first class.)

The Citi travel portal also lets you redeem points at 1 cent per point towards travel and seems to have better pricing on El Al in business class.

Alternatively, you can sell your points (not here on DDF) and use the cash to buy regular tickets. This is usually the best option for people without either a Chase Sapphire Reserve or grandfathered Business Platinum who are flying economy.

Those are your only options for nonstop travel. For options with a stopover and more information in general, see https://www.dansdeals.com/points-travel/milespoints/the-ultimate-israel-mileage-award-chart/

This keeps on getting asked over and over. Besides Dan's comprehensive list of how to get to, or from, TLV here is a short list of options for travel to or from NYC in Y:
Lowest point per RT is FB 50K (less with promo, but YQ of ~$500 unless you can find unicorn DL availability), AA 80k (AA metal for transatlantic), AC 80k (LX or LO for low YQ) and UA 85k. Half that for OW.

Please add any other information to this wiki that you feel might be useful.

Author Topic: Need help finding a ticket? Post here! Award ticket edition (Master thread)  (Read 1858207 times)

Offline miles

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Air Canada, UA PLT, ANA, Delta Platinum, AA, BA, Aerosvit, A/A by Chase closed all accounts
Looking for two tickets from jfk to tlv in biz on Aug 11
or 14,15 return Aug 24.25
have AA, CO, DINERS CLUB , DELTA, BA,

Offline ashers

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Need 5 adult tickets + 1 child
LHR (or any other Airport in London) to TLV around Aug 31- Sept 5
Return: Sept 11 or 12
BA award flight comes out to around $500  in surcharges (taxes etc)
Any ideas on how to get cheaper tickets? have plenty of BA points or AMEX that i can transfer anywhere...
it CAN be done!

Offline yid

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
i am looking for a one way ticket from tlv-nyc on thursday july 28th. i currently have a Lot business class ticket on hold with united. i have spg, aa, co, and amex points. 

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
i am looking for a one way ticket from tlv-nyc on thursday july 28th. i currently have a Lot business class ticket on hold with united. i have spg, aa, co, and amex points. 
You're probably better off with Swiss

Date        Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
----------- ---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -------------
28 Jul 2011 LX         257     TLV   05:00     ZRH   08:20     332  0  CS+ 
28 Jul 2011  -> LX     16      ZRH   09:55     JFK   12:35     333  0  CS+ 

Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Offline world2see

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
this is a last ditch effort,but i'm looking for a roundtrip from TLV-NYC leaving either this coming tuesday,wednesday or thursday night to NYC and returning from NYC-TLV on august 29th.need 3 business class seats all i'm showing is with delta at 230,000 a person or with continental stopping in on the way in and direct on the return for 210,000. if you happen to see anything else please let me know!!!!thanks for the help!

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
I need a europe-bkk(stay 3 days)-hkg ticket.(On *A)                 CO doesn't allow it, not even if I make this huge open jaw (europe-departure point).         Which ff miles should I use?

Offline aussiebochur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
I need a europe-bkk(stay 3 days)-hkg ticket.(On *A)                 CO doesn't allow it, not even if I make this huge open jaw (europe-departure point).         Which ff miles should I use?
Trying to do oneway? BMI.

Offline world2see

• View Profile
this is a last ditch effort,but i'm looking for a roundtrip from TLV-NYC leaving either this coming tuesday,wednesday or thursday night to NYC and returning from NYC-TLV on august 29th.need 3 business class seats all i'm showing is with delta at 230,000 a person or with continental stopping in on the way in and direct on the return for 210,000. if you happen to see anything else please let me know!!!!thanks for the help!
anybody?

Offline Moishebatchy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
One way/Round trip: Round Trip
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any: Maximum 2 or 3
To: LIH
Departure dates: August 21, 2011
Return airports: Same as above
Return dates: August 24th, or even 25th if we can make it back int time for Shabbos
Class: Economy, or Business if not too pricey
Seats: 2
Alliance/Airline: Any. I have Delta miles, BA miles, Amex MR, and Starpoints available.

Thanks!

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
Trying to do oneway? BMI.

very tough to get hold off...

Offline themev

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
One way/Round trip: Round Trip
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any: Prefer 1 stop max
To: Panama City - PTY
Departure/Return dates: Want to go end of year - X-Mas time - depart from sat night 24th-26th and stay 3-4 days.
2 seats, any class, have BA miles, Starpoints and some Amex points - not sure if enough. Couldnt seem to find any availability with my BA miles.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Offline ay

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
Hello,

I would really appreciate help! Taking my family to a wedding in Israel.

One way/Round trip: ROUND TRIP
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any: 1 STOP
To: TLV
Departure dates: 10/23/11
Return airports: ROC, NYC
Return dates: 10/31/11
Class: COACH
Seats: 5

I have 150k amex MR
110k starwood
40k another starwood account

Am I better off selling my miles and buying tickets? or will there be availability?

Thanks so much!!!

Offline shmiel

• View Profile
Hello,

I would really appreciate help! Taking my family to a wedding in Israel.

One way/Round trip: ROUND TRIP
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any: 1 STOP
To: TLV
Departure dates: 10/23/11
Return airports: ROC, NYC
Return dates: 10/31/11
Class: COACH
Seats: 5

I have 150k amex MR
110k starwood
40k another starwood account

Am I better off selling my miles and buying tickets? or will there be availability?

Thanks so much!!!
Do all of you need to fly together on same flights? If yes, I think you would be better off buying tickets especially since you are looking to fly coach.

Offline ay

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
Do all of you need to fly together on same flights? If yes, I think you would be better off buying tickets especially since you are looking to fly coach.

we do need to fly together.

what are going rates for starwood and for amex MR?

Offline shmiel

• View Profile
we do need to fly together.

what are going rates for starwood and for amex MR?
at least 2.2 starwood and at least 1.6 MR, don't try selling them here though, its against forum rules.

Online flyingace

• View Profile
10/23 is right after Succos. I have been looking and availability is sparse. it will probably be easier to sell and buy, but it may not cover all your costs.

Offline ay

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
Thanks!

Offline est

• View Profile
i posted this already, but i guess everyone was busy having babies , going to brissim, shalom zachors and kedaishim cuz i didnt really get any feedback - im gonna try again - ANY input would be greatly appreciated!

im looking for a ticket to fly to uman rosh hashana:
Round trip
preferably non stop if necessary max 1
To: kbp (kiev )
Departure dates: september 26
Return airports: jfk or ewr
Return dates: october 2
Class: Any
Seats: 1
Alliance/Airline: whatever would give most value for points.

I have about 50,000 starwood
                      150,000 A"A
                      200,000 BA
                      50,000 Amex MR
                      I also have lots of continental - if thats my best option then I'll try to figure out how many.

any suggestions on whether i would be better off selling points and then buying the ticket?
thanx guys!

Offline TC610

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
I've read through all of the posts on in this thread and I'm still stuck.  I don't mind doing the legwork on my own, but I would like to know how to properly search for this award.  When I try this on Aeroplan, it says that I've built an invalid itinerary.  I can't figure out how to book a reward ticket with a stopover on ANA (the "transit city" option doesn't seem to be doing the trick).

I'm looking to go CLE-LAX-HNL-CLE (stopover in LAX) on *A for 2 passengers.  I'm assuming this is a proper itinerary and will not incur extra miles/fees since HNL is outside the 48US/Canada.  I've got the CO OPP Card so I'd like CO to be the originating flight to avoid baggage fees.  I have 200,000 CO miles and 180,000 MR points.  Just got approved for the Chase Sapphire Preferred so I'll have 50,000 more coming my way some time in the future.

I am extremely flexible in my dates (travel is for the first half of January 2012).  As I am flexible, I want to book a SaverPass reward in Business or higher.

On the CO website I've been able to price out each leg one at a time for a SaverPass reward in First/BusinessFirst:

01/08: CLE-LAX   CO1161
01/10: LAX-HNL   UA935
01/16: HNL-DEN-CLE  CO134-CO1278

If I call CO and have them build that itinerary, assuming the SaverPass rewards are still available, will I be able to get this itinerary at 80,000 per passenger?  Is there an easier way to accomplish this search?  Do you have any better suggestions?

Offline ashers

• View Profile
trying to Book BA
Depart the US: EWR to TLV sept 5
Separt TLV: TLV to EWR sept 11
On ONEWORLD it shows available but on BA it wont let me book.
it CAN be done!