Topic Wiki

Please follow the following rules when posting in this thread. Failure to do so may result in you request being ignored or deleted.

(If you are looking to purchase a paid ticket, please post here)

FAQs:

Q: How can I use my credit card points to book a USA-TLV ticket?
A: Please read Dan's very helpful and informative guides found here and here

Great tool to see the mileage cost for a route http://www.awardhacker.com

Q: Do I have to pay a lot of money when using miles for a ticket?

A: Sometimes. For more information read this

Q: How do I find award availability?
A: For Star Alliance (United, AirCanada, Lufthansa, Swiss, and others) see this guide

For OneWorld (AmericanAirlines, BritishAirways, Iberia, Malev, and more) You can use BA's award search engine (you need to have a free BA account to access the engine). In addition, you can use Qantas' engine (free account needed as well), which will (to an extent) search Elal. As of this posting, the Elal business flights that show up are coach, and vice verse.

For Delta and AirFrance, use their respective sites. While not perfect, they are quite manageable for the casual searcher.

And of course, many of us here will take time out to help someone who is trying to learn.

Q: All this searching is making me crazy. Is there an easier way?
A: Yes, but it might cost you. Check out AwardNexus.com, KVStool.com, and expertflyer.com.

Q: I see AirCanada availability, but when I call AirCanada they say I can't use my United miles with them. Aren't they partners?
A: You can only use miles with the airline that issued them. Through that airline (in our case United) they can issue a ticket on a partner (ie AirCanada). Trying to call AirCanada with United miles, is like trying to use shekels in Mexico.

Q: I can't find availability on my dates. What should I do?
A: You should try to be as flexible as possible. Can you add a stop or 2? Can you be more flexible with your dates? The airports?
If all else fails, keep trying. Availability is constantly opening up.

Q: Can someone please help me find a ticket?
A: No! Find it yourself.  ;D ;D Just kidding. Please copy the following lines, delete the non bolded parts, and fill it out in your post.

One way/Round-trip:
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any:
To: All airports which you can arrive at. For multiple destinations, just keep adding this line
Departure dates: All possible dates that you can depart on. Please be as specific as possible.
Return airports:If different from 'To' line. Delete this line for One-way tickets
Return dates: Delete this line for One-way tickets
Class: First/Business/Coach/Any
Seats: Total number of people traveling over the age of 2
Alliance/Airline: What airline or alliance are you looking to fly with

IF you have any airline status or credit cards (Ie, United CC or status) that gives extended seat availability, please add that. Would be helpful to find you correct availability.

An additional note about using miles for direct flights from NYC-TLV

NYC-TLV is only served by 3 carriers non-stop, United, Delta, and El Al. Saver availability on Delta is non-existent. Saver availability on United is rare but sometimes available close-in. It is almost never available on or near holidays or holiday weekends, or around yomim tovim. Any award space that opens will be snatched up immediately so you have to constantly be checking if you hope to snag it if/when it opens. El AL awards are more readily available but prohibitively expensive using Matmid points (El Al's frequent flyer program) but may be able to be booked using Quantas points (transfers from Citi & Amex) at a much more reasonable rate.

This leaves the following options if no saver availability:

The Chase travel portal will let you use Ultimate Rewards, or a combination or UR and cash to book flights. If you have a Sapphire Reserve or a Sapphire Preferred, the redemption rate will be 1.5 cents per point or 1.25 cents per point respectively, instead of the regular 1 cent per point without them. (A, Ink cash or Ink Preferred will also give you the 1.25 cpp redemption rate.)

The Amex travel portal will let you redeem points at 1 cent per point towards the cost of air travel. If you have a grandfathered Business Platinum card, you will get 50% of the points you redeem back around a month after you book the ticket. If you have a non-grandfathered card, you will get 35% of your points back. (This is only available when redeeming points for tickets on your selected American carrier in economy class or on any airline in business or first class.)

The Citi travel portal also lets you redeem points at 1 cent per point towards travel and seems to have better pricing on El Al in business class.

Alternatively, you can sell your points (not here on DDF) and use the cash to buy regular tickets. This is usually the best option for people without either a Chase Sapphire Reserve or grandfathered Business Platinum who are flying economy.

Those are your only options for nonstop travel. For options with a stopover and more information in general, see https://www.dansdeals.com/points-travel/milespoints/the-ultimate-israel-mileage-award-chart/

This keeps on getting asked over and over. Besides Dan's comprehensive list of how to get to, or from, TLV here is a short list of options for travel to or from NYC in Y:
Lowest point per RT is FB 50K (less with promo, but YQ of ~$500 unless you can find unicorn DL availability), AA 80k (AA metal for transatlantic), AC 80k (LX or LO for low YQ) and UA 85k. Half that for OW.

Please add any other information to this wiki that you feel might be useful.

Author Topic: Need help finding a ticket? Post here! Award ticket edition (Master thread)  (Read 1866466 times)

Offline A3

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
One way.
NYC --> LAX
APRIL 2.
4 Passengers.
Any airline. Any program.

Offline ueaiouioei

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
One way/Any amount of stops
To: New York City area
Departure dates: 4/12 (day after pesach)
Class: Coach
Seats: 1
Alliance/Airline: I have UR, Amex and AA points.

I need to get back to New York asap after yom tov. Would really not like to spend money. Thank you.
Live life to the fullest

Offline nottelling

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
One way
Non-stop
To:JFK, EWR, LGA, PHL
Departure dates: 7/29/15
Seats: 6
Alliance/Airline: any

Offline dbw

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
ne way/Round trip: ROUND TRIP
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any: ANY
From: All airports from which you can depart  ANY IN NY/NJ
To: All airports which you can arrive at. For multiple destinations, just keep adding this line  TLV
Departure dates: All possible dates that you can depart on. Please be as specific as possible.   3/31
Return airports:If different from 'To' line. Delete this line for One way tickets  TLV
Return dates: Delete this line for One way tickets 5/3
Class: First/Business/Coach/Any  ECONOMY
Seats: Total number of people traveling over the age of 2   2
Alliance/Airline: What airline or alliance are you looking to fly with   I HAVE UNITED/BA/chase ultimate points

Offline yls2011

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
One way/Round trip: Roundtrip
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any: Any stops
To: Any South American City: EZE, GIG, GRU, SCL
Departure dates: 6/7-6-25
Return dates: 6/14-7/2
Class: Business
Seats:  2
Alliance/Airline: One World

Basically looking for 7-10 days in GRU/EZE, maybe GIG for anytime in the last 3 weeks of June-1st week of July. I know I will have to connect so I'm trying to find the one long haul flight. I'm okay with lots of connections and even angled lie flat.

Offline tov hashem

• View Profile
Departure city:nyc  arriving city: fra   One way/Round trip: Roundtrip Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any: Departure dates: 3/11 Return dates: 3/14 3/15Class: Business Seats: 2  points:UR MR

Offline solmeir

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Round Trip.
NYC --> MIA,FLL
Mar 12
Rtn Mar 15-16
2 Passengers.

Offline enwhycee

• View Profile
Round Trip.
NYC --> Caribbean/Mex
Roughly APRIL 4th for a week.
1 Passengers.

Offline DanK

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
Need a 1 way ticket  BWI  -> TLV
Can have a stopover just not too long-  Leaving 8/30/15
Any airline or program.
thnx

Offline leah181818

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
I need help finding tickets to Orlando for peach any suggestions I have points in my chase sapphire and my Starwood Amex 

Offline ajp

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
Trying to take the family on our first Israel Trip for my sons Bmitzvah.  I'd really like to use my United Miles at 85K per ticket, but having an impossible time finding the dates I need. Please help!

Round Trip
up to 2 stops
To: TLV
Depart: July 27-30
Return: August 13-17
Coach
Seats: 7

Thanks so much!

Offline elit

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Round Trip.
NYC --> TLV
July 13
Return july 23 (or late 22)
2 Passengers.
Business class
Would do a Stopover if that's the best option.
TIA

[/quote]

Offline margol

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Have spent many hours trying to find something.  Have United CC.  Have amex miles, UR, BA, smattering of others.  really need an award for the lowest tier reward - wont be able to afford anything else.  Thanks a lot in advance!  Really appreciate it.

One way:
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any:  max 1 stop  (would consider 2 if last resort)
To: ord, mdw
Departure dates: 4/11 (late night), 4/12, 4/13 (strong pref for daytime flight if on 4/13)
Return airports:
Seats: 9 (includes seated baby - not lap)

Offline shauly

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Have spent many hours trying to find something.  Have United CC.  Have amex miles, UR, BA, smattering of others.  really need an award for the lowest tier reward - wont be able to afford anything else.  Thanks a lot in advance!  Really appreciate it.

One way:
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any:  max 1 stop  (would consider 2 if last resort)
To: ord, mdw
Departure dates: 4/11 (late night), 4/12, 4/13 (strong pref for daytime flight if on 4/13)
Return airports:
Seats: 9 (includes seated baby - not lap)

Are you willing to split up, either flights on the same airline, or different airlines? You'll have much better luck that way.

Offline margol

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
thanks for the response - we could potentially split up - airlines, days whatever - best i can find is sw for ~15k at normal hours, 11k at abnormal hours so far. 

Offline maxie m

• View Profile
Hi I have ba miles and ur
Looking to go
NYC to phx April 12
Return to NYC April 16
Thanks in advance!
Dumb people learn from their own mistakes,smart people,from the mistakes of others

Offline alizaw

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
I'm a newbie with points so looking for help. Willing to pay $100 for someone to get me a good deal.
I would like to take my family to Israel this summer for my son's bar mitzvah.

One way/Round trip: Round Trip
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any: Any
From: All airports from which you can depart: JFK, Newark, LaGuardia, BWI, Dulles, Philadelphia (We live in Baltimore.)
To: Tel Aviv
Departure dates: Approx. July 14
Return dates: Approx. Aug 5 (I can be somewhat flexible.  I need to be in Israel for Shabbos, 7/18 and would like to stay for approx 3 weeks.)
Class: First/Business/Coach/Any: Coach
Total number of people traveling over the age of 2: 7 seats
Alliance/Airline: Open but will not fly on Aeroflot, Tranaero, Turkish, etc. 

I have 200K+ AMEX points and 100K US Airways. I would like to buy the remainder of points that I need to get the tickets.  I'm not looking to get this dirt cheap just something reasonable. 

Thank you for all of your help!

Offline loveddeals

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Hi, I'm looking to visit Bangkok and India (New Delhi) and looking for some ideas on how to maximize my miles flying economy or business (OW or RT) on my trip. I have 275K United miles (saving for family trip later on,  but wont mind using up to 90k miles on this trip. Wife has 63K USAir, and 12K AA. Any creative ways to get the most bang for my miles? Just one person.

Home airport is Sacramento (SMF), and SFO is closest international airport. I priced out on United for early November, and it came to 85,000 miles + 125$ taxes (from SMF-BKK-Del). I think, United will only allow 1 checked-baggage (from SMF), since the first flight from SMF-SFO or LAX will be on United. My preference is 2 pieces. Are there other partner airlines that allow 2 pieces of checked luggage?

TIA.

Offline bamo

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
One way/Round trip: Roundtrip
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any: Any stops
To: Budapest/ Vienna on the return
Departure dates: March 18 afternoon
Return dates: march 23 morning
Class: Business
Seats:  2
Alliance/Airline: One World, Star alliance, MR, Chase

Offline EMCC

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum
Looking for about 20-30 business or first class tickets to be booked with milage (your points) by a broker annually. Please send me a PM if you can come highly recommended, really know everything and be available to book always. Also need hotels. 
"Disclaimer: I don't believe everything I write."  - ChaimMoskowitz