Topic Wiki

Please follow the following rules when posting in this thread. Failure to do so may result in you request being ignored or deleted.

(If you are looking to purchase a paid ticket, please post here)

FAQs:

Q: How can I use my credit card points to book a USA-TLV ticket?
A: Please read Dan's very helpful and informative guides found here and here

Great tool to see the mileage cost for a route http://www.awardhacker.com

Q: Do I have to pay a lot of money when using miles for a ticket?

A: Sometimes. For more information read this

Q: How do I find award availability?
A: For Star Alliance (United, AirCanada, Lufthansa, Swiss, and others) see this guide

For OneWorld (AmericanAirlines, BritishAirways, Iberia, Malev, and more) You can use BA's award search engine (you need to have a free BA account to access the engine). In addition, you can use Qantas' engine (free account needed as well), which will (to an extent) search Elal. As of this posting, the Elal business flights that show up are coach, and vice verse.

For Delta and AirFrance, use their respective sites. While not perfect, they are quite manageable for the casual searcher.

And of course, many of us here will take time out to help someone who is trying to learn.

Q: All this searching is making me crazy. Is there an easier way?
A: Yes, but it might cost you. Check out AwardNexus.com, KVStool.com, and expertflyer.com.

Q: I see AirCanada availability, but when I call AirCanada they say I can't use my United miles with them. Aren't they partners?
A: You can only use miles with the airline that issued them. Through that airline (in our case United) they can issue a ticket on a partner (ie AirCanada). Trying to call AirCanada with United miles, is like trying to use shekels in Mexico.

Q: I can't find availability on my dates. What should I do?
A: You should try to be as flexible as possible. Can you add a stop or 2? Can you be more flexible with your dates? The airports?
If all else fails, keep trying. Availability is constantly opening up.

Q: Can someone please help me find a ticket?
A: No! Find it yourself.  ;D ;D Just kidding. Please copy the following lines, delete the non bolded parts, and fill it out in your post.

One way/Round-trip:
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any:
To: All airports which you can arrive at. For multiple destinations, just keep adding this line
Departure dates: All possible dates that you can depart on. Please be as specific as possible.
Return airports:If different from 'To' line. Delete this line for One-way tickets
Return dates: Delete this line for One-way tickets
Class: First/Business/Coach/Any
Seats: Total number of people traveling over the age of 2
Alliance/Airline: What airline or alliance are you looking to fly with

IF you have any airline status or credit cards (Ie, United CC or status) that gives extended seat availability, please add that. Would be helpful to find you correct availability.

An additional note about using miles for direct flights from NYC-TLV

NYC-TLV is only served by 3 carriers non-stop, United, Delta, and El Al. Saver availability on Delta is non-existent. Saver availability on United is rare but sometimes available close-in. It is almost never available on or near holidays or holiday weekends, or around yomim tovim. Any award space that opens will be snatched up immediately so you have to constantly be checking if you hope to snag it if/when it opens. El AL awards are more readily available but prohibitively expensive using Matmid points (El Al's frequent flyer program) but may be able to be booked using Quantas points (transfers from Citi & Amex) at a much more reasonable rate.

This leaves the following options if no saver availability:

The Chase travel portal will let you use Ultimate Rewards, or a combination or UR and cash to book flights. If you have a Sapphire Reserve or a Sapphire Preferred, the redemption rate will be 1.5 cents per point or 1.25 cents per point respectively, instead of the regular 1 cent per point without them. (A, Ink cash or Ink Preferred will also give you the 1.25 cpp redemption rate.)

The Amex travel portal will let you redeem points at 1 cent per point towards the cost of air travel. If you have a grandfathered Business Platinum card, you will get 50% of the points you redeem back around a month after you book the ticket. If you have a non-grandfathered card, you will get 35% of your points back. (This is only available when redeeming points for tickets on your selected American carrier in economy class or on any airline in business or first class.)

The Citi travel portal also lets you redeem points at 1 cent per point towards travel and seems to have better pricing on El Al in business class.

Alternatively, you can sell your points (not here on DDF) and use the cash to buy regular tickets. This is usually the best option for people without either a Chase Sapphire Reserve or grandfathered Business Platinum who are flying economy.

Those are your only options for nonstop travel. For options with a stopover and more information in general, see https://www.dansdeals.com/points-travel/milespoints/the-ultimate-israel-mileage-award-chart/

This keeps on getting asked over and over. Besides Dan's comprehensive list of how to get to, or from, TLV here is a short list of options for travel to or from NYC in Y:
Lowest point per RT is FB 50K (less with promo, but YQ of ~$500 unless you can find unicorn DL availability), AA 80k (AA metal for transatlantic), AC 80k (LX or LO for low YQ) and UA 85k. Half that for OW.

Please add any other information to this wiki that you feel might be useful.

Author Topic: Need help finding a ticket? Post here! Award ticket edition (Master thread)  (Read 1839255 times)

Offline Daniel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
One way/Round trip: One way
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any: 1 stop MAX
To: NY/JFK
Departure dates: July 19th or 20th
Class: Coach would be best
Seats: 2
Alliance/Airline:Any, but only have SPG

Looking for the shortest stop over with no fuel surcharge.
Any suggestions?

Found a good option on Austrian http://d.pr/i/1jkNq. Which Star Alliance partner is the best to transfer from SPG in terms of time to transfer and fuel surcharge?

Offline coralsnake

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
Found a good option on Austrian http://d.pr/i/1jkNq. Which Star Alliance partner is the best to transfer from SPG in terms of time to transfer and fuel surcharge?
I believe the only way to not pay YQ on that award would be via UA, which is a terrible SPG transfer.
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline rileywiles23

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile

I believe the only way to not pay YQ on that award would be via UA.
That's correct. AC, and ANA charge YQ for Austrian.
Life is as good as you make it...

Offline Daniel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
So what stop-over options are there using SPG without fuel surcharges? Doesn't seem like there is much?

Offline nis965

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any: Any
To: CLE
Departure dates: 12/27
Alliance/Airline:Any

The way there I am using flying blue and stopping in Italy for a couple of days. Now need to find the best way back. Thanks!

Offline chucksterace

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 40
    • View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
  • Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Premier 1K; ; LY Plat; Hyatt Platinum; Hertz President's Circle; Avis President's Club
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any: Any
To: CLE
Departure dates: 12/27
Alliance/Airline:Any

The way there I am using flying blue and stopping in Italy for a couple of days. Now need to find the best way back. Thanks!

You have TLV-FRA-EWR-CLE or TLV-FRA-ORD-CLE using UA miles.

You may not hold me responsible for any actions taken that were recommended from my account or username.

Offline nis965

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
You have TLV-FRA-EWR-CLE or TLV-FRA-ORD-CLE using UA miles.
Thanks. A friend of mine with Elite Status was able to find a TLV-EWR-CLE that had Saver Award availability. What is interesting is that the EWR to CLE flight is the next day. I would probably just get that flight separate as I get my luggage anyways.

Offline coralsnake

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
So what stop-over options are there using SPG without fuel surcharges? Doesn't seem like there is much?
You can transfer 45k SPG to AA. With the current bonus, thatll get you the 65k AA for a standard award one-way TLV-PHL-(LGA or JFK). No fuel Surcharge.

ETA- with the $75 close-in fee (forgot about that) itll cost 65k AA + $124.46

« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 04:07:42 PM by coralsnake »
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline newuser

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
i have a ton of points and dont know how to use them.
Round trip:
Non-stop
To: FLL
Departure dates: Jan 14

Return dates: Jan 18
Class: Any
Seats: 4
Alliance/Airline: not sure
i have 1M Ultimate Rewards 70K United 40K BA 200K SPG i also can get MR if needed (i just dont know how to use them.)
thanks for your help
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 10:04:31 PM by newuser »

Offline DMYD

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Round trip:
Non-stop

i have 1M Ultimate Rewards 70K United 40K BA 200K SPG (i just dont know how to use them.)
thanks for your help
So you want someone to teach you or just tell you your best option? but you won't know how to book it.

Offline DMYD

• View Profile
Round trip:
Non-stop

i have 1M Ultimate Rewards 70K United 40K BA 200K SPG (i just dont know how to use them.)
thanks for your help
With Avios is the cheapest 7,500 read up about it here http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/59617

Offline CS1

• View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
Round trip:
Non-stop

thanks for your help

You may be able to book round trip American Airlines with your BA points.
Then, with your 1M Ultimate Rewards, you can transfer some to Hyatt and stay in a nice Hyatt Regency Suite in Miami
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline DMYD

• View Profile
You may be able to book round trip American Airlines with your BA points.
Then, with your 1M Ultimate Rewards, you can transfer some to Hyatt and stay in a nice Hyatt Regency Suite in Miami
Or use SPG for the St Regis.

Offline newuser

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
thanks,
i can move into the St. Regis for a few weeks if i wanted to. i just need to get there.
i am actually going on a cruise.
and i checked BA and didnt see any non stop to FLL.
i have never been down there, if miami is an easy option let me know.
you dont have to teach me just let me know if there is anything available.
thanks

Offline chucksterace

• View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
  • Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Premier 1K; ; LY Plat; Hyatt Platinum; Hertz President's Circle; Avis President's Club

thanks,
i can move into the St. Regis for a few weeks if i wanted to. i just need to get there.
i am actually going on a cruise.
and i checked BA and didnt see any non stop to FLL.
i have never been down there, if miami is an easy option let me know.
you dont have to teach me just let me know if there is anything available.
thanks

Check AA.com not ba
You may not hold me responsible for any actions taken that were recommended from my account or username.

Offline DanH

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
One-Way
LAX --> JFK (or LGA)
Leaving LAX August 21st, arriving same day @ JFK.  It's a friday, so preferably landing at JFK before 4:00PM.
Class: Business
Any airline/alliance
1 Adult.

Thanks in advance.
For tech help feel free to Telegram me @DanTechSupp

Offline thaber

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile

One-Way
LAX --> JFK (or LGA)
Leaving LAX August 21st, arriving same day @ JFK.  It's a friday, so preferably landing at JFK before 4:00PM.
Class: Business
Any airline/alliance
1 Adult.

Thanks in advance.
Can you also do ewr? It'll open up your United options.

Offline AROCKS1

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Check AA.com not ba

I'm also looking to get to FLL/MIA for my wife and I for 3 nights (ideally around august 10), have 100K chase points and can't find any non-stop availability on AA.com..anybody have other ideas? (I can fill out the form from the wiki if that helps, but I figured my itinerary was close enough to the discussion before)

Thanks!

Offline chucksterace

• View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
I'm also looking to get to FLL/MIA for my wife and I for 3 nights (ideally around august 10), have 100K chase points and can't find any non-stop availability on AA.com..anybody have other ideas? (I can fill out the form from the wiki if that helps, but I figured my itinerary was close enough to the discussion before)

Thanks!

Look at UA or Southwest .. Both of those are partners of UR as well.

Offline AROCKS1

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
But it will cost me a lot more miles right? (I guess I have no choice if I'm booking a month before and only wanna fly non-stop (?) )