Topic Wiki

Please follow the following rules when posting in this thread. Failure to do so may result in you request being ignored or deleted.

(If you are looking to purchase a paid ticket, please post here)

FAQs:

Q: How can I use my credit card points to book a USA-TLV ticket?
A: Please read Dan's very helpful and informative guides found here and here

Great tool to see the mileage cost for a route http://www.awardhacker.com

Q: Do I have to pay a lot of money when using miles for a ticket?

A: Sometimes. For more information read this

Q: How do I find award availability?
A: For Star Alliance (United, AirCanada, Lufthansa, Swiss, and others) see this guide

For OneWorld (AmericanAirlines, BritishAirways, Iberia, Malev, and more) You can use BA's award search engine (you need to have a free BA account to access the engine). In addition, you can use Qantas' engine (free account needed as well), which will (to an extent) search Elal. As of this posting, the Elal business flights that show up are coach, and vice verse.

For Delta and AirFrance, use their respective sites. While not perfect, they are quite manageable for the casual searcher.

And of course, many of us here will take time out to help someone who is trying to learn.

Q: All this searching is making me crazy. Is there an easier way?
A: Yes, but it might cost you. Check out AwardNexus.com, KVStool.com, and expertflyer.com.

Q: I see AirCanada availability, but when I call AirCanada they say I can't use my United miles with them. Aren't they partners?
A: You can only use miles with the airline that issued them. Through that airline (in our case United) they can issue a ticket on a partner (ie AirCanada). Trying to call AirCanada with United miles, is like trying to use shekels in Mexico.

Q: I can't find availability on my dates. What should I do?
A: You should try to be as flexible as possible. Can you add a stop or 2? Can you be more flexible with your dates? The airports?
If all else fails, keep trying. Availability is constantly opening up.

Q: Can someone please help me find a ticket?
A: No! Find it yourself.  ;D ;D Just kidding. Please copy the following lines, delete the non bolded parts, and fill it out in your post.

One way/Round-trip:
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any:
To: All airports which you can arrive at. For multiple destinations, just keep adding this line
Departure dates: All possible dates that you can depart on. Please be as specific as possible.
Return airports:If different from 'To' line. Delete this line for One-way tickets
Return dates: Delete this line for One-way tickets
Class: First/Business/Coach/Any
Seats: Total number of people traveling over the age of 2
Alliance/Airline: What airline or alliance are you looking to fly with

IF you have any airline status or credit cards (Ie, United CC or status) that gives extended seat availability, please add that. Would be helpful to find you correct availability.

An additional note about using miles for direct flights from NYC-TLV

NYC-TLV is only served by 3 carriers non-stop, United, Delta, and El Al. Saver availability on Delta is non-existent. Saver availability on United is rare but sometimes available close-in. It is almost never available on or near holidays or holiday weekends, or around yomim tovim. Any award space that opens will be snatched up immediately so you have to constantly be checking if you hope to snag it if/when it opens. El AL awards are more readily available but prohibitively expensive using Matmid points (El Al's frequent flyer program) but may be able to be booked using Quantas points (transfers from Citi & Amex) at a much more reasonable rate.

This leaves the following options if no saver availability:

The Chase travel portal will let you use Ultimate Rewards, or a combination or UR and cash to book flights. If you have a Sapphire Reserve or a Sapphire Preferred, the redemption rate will be 1.5 cents per point or 1.25 cents per point respectively, instead of the regular 1 cent per point without them. (A, Ink cash or Ink Preferred will also give you the 1.25 cpp redemption rate.)

The Amex travel portal will let you redeem points at 1 cent per point towards the cost of air travel. If you have a grandfathered Business Platinum card, you will get 50% of the points you redeem back around a month after you book the ticket. If you have a non-grandfathered card, you will get 35% of your points back. (This is only available when redeeming points for tickets on your selected American carrier in economy class or on any airline in business or first class.)

The Citi travel portal also lets you redeem points at 1 cent per point towards travel and seems to have better pricing on El Al in business class.

Alternatively, you can sell your points (not here on DDF) and use the cash to buy regular tickets. This is usually the best option for people without either a Chase Sapphire Reserve or grandfathered Business Platinum who are flying economy.

Those are your only options for nonstop travel. For options with a stopover and more information in general, see https://www.dansdeals.com/points-travel/milespoints/the-ultimate-israel-mileage-award-chart/

This keeps on getting asked over and over. Besides Dan's comprehensive list of how to get to, or from, TLV here is a short list of options for travel to or from NYC in Y:
Lowest point per RT is FB 50K (less with promo, but YQ of ~$500 unless you can find unicorn DL availability), AA 80k (AA metal for transatlantic), AC 80k (LX or LO for low YQ) and UA 85k. Half that for OW.

Please add any other information to this wiki that you feel might be useful.

Author Topic: Need help finding a ticket? Post here! Award ticket edition (Master thread)  (Read 1839631 times)

Offline pashakym

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Need help finding a ticket? Post here! Award ticket edition (Master thread)
« Reply #7240 on: January 19, 2016, 01:58:21 PM »
Hi, I am looking to get the best value for my points to book the following ticket. Any help appreciated.

One way/Round trip:
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any:
To: MIA, FLL
Departure dates: Sat., Feb. 13, leaving 9:00PM or later
Return dates: Tues., Feb 16, Anytime until 6:00PM, the later the better, but the best value
Class: First/Business/Coach/Any
Seats: 3
Alliance/Airline:
I have 170K UR
250K MR
320K AA
85K United
100K BA

Thanks.

This is so easy. BA.com (AA flight) EWR-MIA for 9K in business class. Just checked and 3 seats are available.

Offline pashakym

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7241 on: January 19, 2016, 02:00:38 PM »
Looking for tickets for Peasach, has anyone found any good deals with or without points? if yes, please share them.

I'm looking for the following:
Depart NYC on 4/17 and Return from TLV on 5/1 or 5/2.
2 Adults and 3 Kids.

Thanks for the help.

What points do you have?
Can you split to 2 groups?

Offline pashakym

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7242 on: January 19, 2016, 02:11:57 PM »
i want to leave February 15 from NYC to Las 2 adults

for the way to las i looking to go from lga or jfk non stop. economy is good .
what is the best award ticket you can find? i will have 2 baggage to check in

i have a lot of ultimate rewards.
united i have 20k my wife 7k
ba 50k
aa over 100k
starwood about 60k on 2 cards
amex about 25k

thanks for your great help.

Non stop is 25K with united (or 12.5K with 1 stop). You can try to book it with SA although I would not sacrifice 40K SPG for this.

Offline jds

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7243 on: January 19, 2016, 03:57:53 PM »
This is so easy. BA.com (AA flight) EWR-MIA for 9K in business class. Just checked and 3 seats are available.
Thanks for your response. I dont see an outbound flight available. Do you mind checking again to make sure i didnt do anything wrong?

Offline pashakym

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7244 on: January 19, 2016, 04:21:35 PM »
Thanks for your response. I dont see an outbound flight available. Do you mind checking again to make sure i didnt do anything wrong?

:( its not there anymore!

Offline coralsnake

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7245 on: January 19, 2016, 04:37:21 PM »
The only option I see is a flight with Delta on Feb 13th. 7.5K each one from LGA to MIA at 7:30pm. Good luck.
Where are you looking? Latest DL flight I see LGA-MIA on Feb 13th is 4:30pm
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline pashakym

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7246 on: January 19, 2016, 05:22:34 PM »
Where are you looking? Latest DL flight I see LGA-MIA on Feb 13th is 4:30pm

My mistake! removed that comment, I was looking on another date.

Offline jds

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7247 on: January 19, 2016, 05:39:55 PM »
:( its not there anymore!
Thanks for your help.
Is it possible for those seats to become available after they have become unavailable- should i keep checking for those seats?

Offline pashakym

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7248 on: January 19, 2016, 06:05:26 PM »
Thanks for your help.
Is it possible for those seats to become available after they have become unavailable- should i keep checking for those seats?

How much are you willing  to spend?

Offline jds

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7249 on: January 19, 2016, 09:24:07 PM »
How much are you willing  to spend?

I don't want to be wasting points but neither do I care to use them, so I am willing to spend whatever it is as long as it's fair.

Offline princea143

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7250 on: January 20, 2016, 04:30:10 AM »
Hi all!

I have about 183k MR, 90k TYP, 30k SPG, and 80k UR right now.  I want to save the SPG to transfer to AA to top off for F on Cathay before the devaluation.  Though, my wife and I are wanting to fly SQ suites this late-March, but we checked almost every date, and it's waitlisted for the saver seats (107,500 pax).  Which of the above points should I transfer over to lock the seats up and hopefully get them once they open up.  Is it even wise to move 183k (after 15% discount) when it's not even guaranteed?  How likely is it to work in my favor from others' experiences?  I will choose a Tuesday or Wednesday to hopefully give me better odds.  Thoughts anybody?  Thanks. 

Offline DansDealsLover

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7251 on: January 20, 2016, 05:09:39 PM »
Hi All,

I need a ticket for 2, and I found availability on AA/BA for one. Is there a way to find an additional seat? Is it worth the risk to book one ticket and hope a second will open up some time between now and my departure date (March 2)?

Thanks for any help!

Offline coralsnake

• View Profile
« Reply #7252 on: January 20, 2016, 06:21:00 PM »
Hi All,

I need a ticket for 2, and I found availability on AA/BA for one. Is there a way to find an additional seat? Is it worth the risk to book one ticket and hope a second will open up some time between now and my departure date (March 2)?

Thanks for any help!
Figuring that this is likely a domestic ticket, even if you dont find another seat, if you book with BA you will only lose the $5.60 tax you paid for ticket if you cancel.

Offline DansDealsLover

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7253 on: January 20, 2016, 06:44:11 PM »
Figuring that this is likely a domestic ticket, even if you dont find another seat, if you book with BA you will only lose the $5.60 tax you paid for ticket if you cancel.

This is to Canada. Is that considered domestic in regards to cancellation?

Offline belzagripas

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7254 on: January 20, 2016, 08:34:06 PM »
What points do you have?
Can you split to 2 groups?

I don't have too many points, i have around 50K SPG and 50K Amex from a Business platinum and also 50K British airways. I wasn't thinking of using points for this trip...
I actually found something quite good for Peasach, it's with Turkish Airlines for around $595 RT.

Thanks,
Anyways.

Offline coralsnake

• View Profile
« Reply #7255 on: January 20, 2016, 11:32:21 PM »
This is to Canada. Is that considered domestic in regards to cancellation?
Its the lesser pf $55 or taxes paid.

Offline Buruch

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7256 on: January 21, 2016, 10:13:41 PM »
I was kind of  thinking about going to Israel for Pesach, and now I'm thinking of turning it into a mini-rtw trip. 2 adults and a 1yo, so I'm thinking AC miles - I have plenty of MR. I always wanted to visit SA, and for the final stop I'm interested either Thailand or Bali. I'm open to other suggestions. It's my first time using miles to book anything other than a single-destination flight, and I've never flown premium cabins, so I'm really not familiar with what to expect availability wise. So as far as airlines and routings are concerned, I'm completely open to suggestions. In short, help me plan a mini rtw pretty please.

Offline princea143

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7257 on: January 22, 2016, 02:45:23 AM »
Hi all!

I have about 183k MR, 90k TYP, 30k SPG, and 80k UR right now.  I want to save the SPG to transfer to AA to top off for F on Cathay before the devaluation.  Though, my wife and I are wanting to fly SQ suites this late-March, but we checked almost every date, and it's waitlisted for the saver seats (107,500 pax).  Which of the above points should I transfer over to lock the seats up and hopefully get them once they open up.  Is it even wise to move 183k (after 15% discount) when it's not even guaranteed?  How likely is it to work in my favor from others' experiences?  I will choose a Tuesday or Wednesday to hopefully give me better odds.  Thoughts anybody?  Thanks.

No takers huh?  ^^^ :-\

Offline rediplus

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7258 on: January 22, 2016, 09:28:58 AM »
hi,
i need an LH F seat. it seems like LH only releases 2 seats max from FRA-EWR even though the seatmap shows more available. UA, AC, and LM all show 0 availability. any suggestion on how to get another seat to get released ?

Offline DMYD

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7259 on: January 22, 2016, 09:34:03 AM »
hi,
i need an LH F seat. it seems like LH only releases 2 seats max from FRA-EWR even though the seatmap shows more available. UA, AC, and LM all show 0 availability. any suggestion on how to get another seat to get released ?
When is the flight?