Topic Wiki

Please follow the following rules when posting in this thread. Failure to do so may result in you request being ignored or deleted.

(If you are looking to purchase a paid ticket, please post here)

FAQs:

Q: How can I use my credit card points to book a USA-TLV ticket?
A: Please read Dan's very helpful and informative guides found here and here

Great tool to see the mileage cost for a route http://www.awardhacker.com

Q: Do I have to pay a lot of money when using miles for a ticket?

A: Sometimes. For more information read this

Q: How do I find award availability?
A: For Star Alliance (United, AirCanada, Lufthansa, Swiss, and others) see this guide

For OneWorld (AmericanAirlines, BritishAirways, Iberia, Malev, and more) You can use BA's award search engine (you need to have a free BA account to access the engine). In addition, you can use Qantas' engine (free account needed as well), which will (to an extent) search Elal. As of this posting, the Elal business flights that show up are coach, and vice verse.

For Delta and AirFrance, use their respective sites. While not perfect, they are quite manageable for the casual searcher.

And of course, many of us here will take time out to help someone who is trying to learn.

Q: All this searching is making me crazy. Is there an easier way?
A: Yes, but it might cost you. Check out AwardNexus.com, KVStool.com, and expertflyer.com.

Q: I see AirCanada availability, but when I call AirCanada they say I can't use my United miles with them. Aren't they partners?
A: You can only use miles with the airline that issued them. Through that airline (in our case United) they can issue a ticket on a partner (ie AirCanada). Trying to call AirCanada with United miles, is like trying to use shekels in Mexico.

Q: I can't find availability on my dates. What should I do?
A: You should try to be as flexible as possible. Can you add a stop or 2? Can you be more flexible with your dates? The airports?
If all else fails, keep trying. Availability is constantly opening up.

Q: Can someone please help me find a ticket?
A: No! Find it yourself.  ;D ;D Just kidding. Please copy the following lines, delete the non bolded parts, and fill it out in your post.

One way/Round-trip:
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any:
To: All airports which you can arrive at. For multiple destinations, just keep adding this line
Departure dates: All possible dates that you can depart on. Please be as specific as possible.
Return airports:If different from 'To' line. Delete this line for One-way tickets
Return dates: Delete this line for One-way tickets
Class: First/Business/Coach/Any
Seats: Total number of people traveling over the age of 2
Alliance/Airline: What airline or alliance are you looking to fly with

IF you have any airline status or credit cards (Ie, United CC or status) that gives extended seat availability, please add that. Would be helpful to find you correct availability.

An additional note about using miles for direct flights from NYC-TLV

NYC-TLV is only served by 3 carriers non-stop, United, Delta, and El Al. Saver availability on Delta is non-existent. Saver availability on United is rare but sometimes available close-in. It is almost never available on or near holidays or holiday weekends, or around yomim tovim. Any award space that opens will be snatched up immediately so you have to constantly be checking if you hope to snag it if/when it opens. El AL awards are more readily available but prohibitively expensive using Matmid points (El Al's frequent flyer program) but may be able to be booked using Quantas points (transfers from Citi & Amex) at a much more reasonable rate.

This leaves the following options if no saver availability:

The Chase travel portal will let you use Ultimate Rewards, or a combination or UR and cash to book flights. If you have a Sapphire Reserve or a Sapphire Preferred, the redemption rate will be 1.5 cents per point or 1.25 cents per point respectively, instead of the regular 1 cent per point without them. (A, Ink cash or Ink Preferred will also give you the 1.25 cpp redemption rate.)

The Amex travel portal will let you redeem points at 1 cent per point towards the cost of air travel. If you have a grandfathered Business Platinum card, you will get 50% of the points you redeem back around a month after you book the ticket. If you have a non-grandfathered card, you will get 35% of your points back. (This is only available when redeeming points for tickets on your selected American carrier in economy class or on any airline in business or first class.)

The Citi travel portal also lets you redeem points at 1 cent per point towards travel and seems to have better pricing on El Al in business class.

Alternatively, you can sell your points (not here on DDF) and use the cash to buy regular tickets. This is usually the best option for people without either a Chase Sapphire Reserve or grandfathered Business Platinum who are flying economy.

Those are your only options for nonstop travel. For options with a stopover and more information in general, see https://www.dansdeals.com/points-travel/milespoints/the-ultimate-israel-mileage-award-chart/

This keeps on getting asked over and over. Besides Dan's comprehensive list of how to get to, or from, TLV here is a short list of options for travel to or from NYC in Y:
Lowest point per RT is FB 50K (less with promo, but YQ of ~$500 unless you can find unicorn DL availability), AA 80k (AA metal for transatlantic), AC 80k (LX or LO for low YQ) and UA 85k. Half that for OW.

Please add any other information to this wiki that you feel might be useful.

Author Topic: Need help finding a ticket? Post here! Award ticket edition (Master thread)  (Read 1869393 times)

Offline shwarmabob

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
looking for Y availability for 2 people
HKG - NYC
8/1 or 8/2
United miles (saver awards)
X or XN also would work on United.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 07:44:28 PM by shwarmabob »

Offline boruch

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Looking to fly home (Amsterdam) for Pesach, ideally in business class.
- What would be my best use of mileage? I have UR, MR, avios and AAdvantage.
- If using SQ miles, and flying on SQ to FRA, what would be my best use of miles to get from FRA to AMS?

TYIA!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 11:14:15 PM by boruch »

Offline Gogirl

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
Round trip
To: SYD 
Departure dates: October or Early November
Return airports: AKL
Return dates: flexible depending on outgoing flight. Want trip to be about 3  1/2 weeks
Class: business saver, would take economy saver on short flights
Seats: 2
Alliance/Airline: AA ants partners, have some Delta points too

I already have a business ticket with American/Qantas on November 30th but want to move it earlier. I do not have a return yet. Really appreciate  any help with this.

Offline chayie

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
hello

does anyone know if there are ever United award tickets from NYC-TLV-NYC non-stop for less than 170,000 miles?
i am looking for a ticket departing May Tue 24 and returning back on May 30 (Memorial Day) and can't find anything for less than 170K.

i have enough points, but trying to think if I should spend that many points.

thanks

Offline David Smith

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
hello

does anyone know if there are ever United award tickets from NYC-TLV-NYC non-stop for less than 170,000 miles?
i am looking for a ticket departing May Tue 24 and returning back on May 30 (Memorial Day) and can't find anything for less than 170K.

i have enough points, but trying to think if I should spend that many points.

thanks
If there are ever? Yes, there are saver awards for less, but nonstop availability on that route can be very difficult to find at the saver rate. Just sell the miles and pay cash, if you're flying economy.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline Agoldsc1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
One Way
To: NYC
Departure dates: September 12
Class: Economy
Alliance/Airline: AB

I'm trying to book the ticket above, and I see availability on Expertflyer, but when I search on BA's website for tickets on AB, it doesn't appear (all I see are BA/AA tickets). When I search on IB, the AB flight does appear, but the cost is 23,000 points and almost 200 GBP per ticket. I thought the rate should have been 20,000 points, and under 100 GBP per ticket. Did something change recently, or am I doing it wrong?

Offline Agoldsc1

• View Profile
Sorry for the double post, but I realized that I made it sound as if I was partial to flying AB, but really I'm just looking for any advice on the following route:

One Way
Alliance/Airline: Avios, UA, or AA

I'm just looking for the lowest priced tickets. Best I found so far is BA at 17,000 points plus approx $225 per person. If anyone can do better please let me know!

Offline mosteinberg

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
One way
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any:Non Stop preferred
To: NYC,  JFK/LGA Preferred
Departure dates: April 11, 2016 - April 13, 2016
Class: First/Business/Coach/Any : prefer the upper class if not too many points
Seats: 1
Alliance/Airline: 125K Avios Points, 190K Chase UR, 45K AA

Thanks for your help..

Offline dealhuntergta

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
6 tickets from
Toronto to New York, (JFK or LGA)

Mar. 23  to Mar 27 return

Thanks

Offline shwarmabob

• View Profile
Which credit card do you use when paying for taxes and fees for award tickets? Would lost luggage and other insurance coverage kick in when you are only paying these extra fees with a card?
Amex? Chase? Personal? Business? what's the benefit or disadvantage?

Offline Tom Brady

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Ritz Platinum
One way
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any:Non Stop preferred
To: NYC,  JFK/LGA Preferred
Departure dates: April 11, 2016 - April 13, 2016
Class: First/Business/Coach/Any : prefer the upper class if not too many points
Alliance/Airline: 125K Avios Points, 190K Chase UR, 45K AA

Thanks for your help..
Search united.com and check to see if there are flights you want that have business saver availability. If there are, you can book the flight with Singapore for 57.5k Singapore miles transferred from Chase plus between $250 and $350 cash. Don't count on getting anything nonstop with miles on this route.

Offline Tom Brady

• View Profile
6 tickets from
Toronto to New York, (JFK or LGA)

Mar. 23  to Mar 27 return

Thanks
Your best bet is buying regular tickets for cash.

Offline mosteinberg

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
Search united.com and check to see if there are flights you want that have business saver availability. If there are, you can book the flight with Singapore for 57.5k Singapore miles transferred from Chase plus between $250 and $350 cash. Don't count on getting anything nonstop with miles on this route.

I checked United's site, they have direct flight for 85K + $41 or with a stop for 42.5K + $71
Why than would Singapore be a better deal?
What about the 125K Avios that i have, can i use it for a good deal on one of the airlines?

Thanks

Offline Tom Brady

• View Profile
I checked United's site, they have direct flight for 85K + $41 or with a stop for 42.5K + $71
Why than would Singapore be a better deal?
What about the 125K Avios that i have, can i use it for a good deal on one of the airlines?

Thanks
You said you preferred the upper class. I gave you numbers for business.

Offline Agoldsc1

• View Profile
Sorry for the double post, but I realized that I made it sound as if I was partial to flying AB, but really I'm just looking for any advice on the following route:

One Way
Alliance/Airline: Avios, UA, or AA

I'm just looking for the lowest priced tickets. Best I found so far is BA at 17,000 points plus approx $225 per person. If anyone can do better please let me know!

Bump

Offline tanipollak

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Hi, I am very new to this. I would appreciate any help for this trip/
Have around 100,000 points in Chase UR and looking to go on a honeymoon August 15-30th(ish)

Round trip

To: TLV
Departure Dates: August 15
Class: First(whatever the nice is called)
Seats:2
Alliance Airline: Whichever is best for the buck ( best to use on Chase UR) 

Offline Tom Brady

• View Profile
Have around 100,000 points in Chase UR and looking to go on a honeymoon August 15-30th(ish)

Round trip

The best (and only worthwhile) first class that's attainable with miles for that route, is Luftansa first class.

The cheapest way to book it is with 60k Aegean miles plus about $375 per person each way. 60k Aegean miles can be transferred from 50k SPG points. The problem with Aegean miles is that SPG is their only transfer partner, and it's relatively hard to get a lot of SPG.

The next cheapest option (and the best option for most people), is to get the same flight for 75k Singapore miles and also about $375 each way per person. Chase, Amex and Citi points, all transfer 1 to 1 to Singapore miles. In all, you will need a total of 300k miles between Chase, Amex and Citi, to book yourself and your fiancée round trip to Israel in Luftansa first class, plus about $1500.

Now all you need to do is sign up to a couple of more Chase, Amex, and Citi cards (and your fiancée as well), and you should find it quite easy to get the additional 200k. (You will very likely be able to get extra, which you can sell to cover the $1500 in surcharges and other expenses).

Lastly, Lufthansa first class award availability generally only opens up two weeks before the flight, so you don't have to worry about booking the flights until then. If you will be uncomfortable not being booked for your honeymoon until 2 weeks before the flights, you can book yourselves in business class, for 57.5k Singapore miles each way per person, plus similar surcharges as first class, and later pay $20 per person per flight, plus the difference in miles, to upgrade to first class.

Offline David Smith

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile

Round trip

You're a few hundred thousand points short. You're nowhere close to what you need. Rack up more fast, buy from someone, or come up with another idea. (I'm sorry if I sound discouraging.) BTW, if you're looking for "whatever the nice is called", and not LH F, you're probably more than fine in business class.
Great post, Tom Brady. Clearly delineates the goal, the miles necessary, and where to transfer them from. Very factual, to the point, and helpful, without being discouraging in the slightest.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 02:21:16 AM by David Smith »
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline Agoldsc1

• View Profile
One Way
Departure dates: September 12 or 13
Alliance/Airline: Avios, UA, AA or DL

Thanks!

Offline gerald

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
Round trip
Maximum stops:Any
To: London
Departure dates: Between 17-20th April
Return dates: October 10 But flying to Atl in Sept then to Acc
Class: Any
Alliance/Airline: doesn't matter But i do have Avios and UR points
Best Found: $1500

Trying to find the best possible way to fly from Acc to London and stay in London for 5 months then to Atlanta Georgia for a month then to Acc.
Dates are  between the 17th and 20th of April to London(any airport) then leave London in September (between 1st and 5th) to Atlanta Georgia for a month and then to Acc
I do have Avios to use but would buy a paid ticket if that's better

Thanks