Topic Wiki

Please follow the following rules when posting in this thread. Failure to do so may result in you request being ignored or deleted.

(If you are looking to purchase a paid ticket, please post here)

FAQs:

Q: How can I use my credit card points to book a USA-TLV ticket?
A: Please read Dan's very helpful and informative guides found here and here

Great tool to see the mileage cost for a route http://www.awardhacker.com

Q: Do I have to pay a lot of money when using miles for a ticket?

A: Sometimes. For more information read this

Q: How do I find award availability?
A: For Star Alliance (United, AirCanada, Lufthansa, Swiss, and others) see this guide

For OneWorld (AmericanAirlines, BritishAirways, Iberia, Malev, and more) You can use BA's award search engine (you need to have a free BA account to access the engine). In addition, you can use Qantas' engine (free account needed as well), which will (to an extent) search Elal. As of this posting, the Elal business flights that show up are coach, and vice verse.

For Delta and AirFrance, use their respective sites. While not perfect, they are quite manageable for the casual searcher.

And of course, many of us here will take time out to help someone who is trying to learn.

Q: All this searching is making me crazy. Is there an easier way?
A: Yes, but it might cost you. Check out AwardNexus.com, KVStool.com, and expertflyer.com.

Q: I see AirCanada availability, but when I call AirCanada they say I can't use my United miles with them. Aren't they partners?
A: You can only use miles with the airline that issued them. Through that airline (in our case United) they can issue a ticket on a partner (ie AirCanada). Trying to call AirCanada with United miles, is like trying to use shekels in Mexico.

Q: I can't find availability on my dates. What should I do?
A: You should try to be as flexible as possible. Can you add a stop or 2? Can you be more flexible with your dates? The airports?
If all else fails, keep trying. Availability is constantly opening up.

Q: Can someone please help me find a ticket?
A: No! Find it yourself.  ;D ;D Just kidding. Please copy the following lines, delete the non bolded parts, and fill it out in your post.

One way/Round-trip:
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any:
To: All airports which you can arrive at. For multiple destinations, just keep adding this line
Departure dates: All possible dates that you can depart on. Please be as specific as possible.
Return airports:If different from 'To' line. Delete this line for One-way tickets
Return dates: Delete this line for One-way tickets
Class: First/Business/Coach/Any
Seats: Total number of people traveling over the age of 2
Alliance/Airline: What airline or alliance are you looking to fly with

IF you have any airline status or credit cards (Ie, United CC or status) that gives extended seat availability, please add that. Would be helpful to find you correct availability.

An additional note about using miles for direct flights from NYC-TLV

NYC-TLV is only served by 3 carriers non-stop, United, Delta, and El Al. Saver availability on Delta is non-existent. Saver availability on United is rare but sometimes available close-in. It is almost never available on or near holidays or holiday weekends, or around yomim tovim. Any award space that opens will be snatched up immediately so you have to constantly be checking if you hope to snag it if/when it opens. El AL awards are more readily available but prohibitively expensive using Matmid points (El Al's frequent flyer program) but may be able to be booked using Quantas points (transfers from Citi & Amex) at a much more reasonable rate.

This leaves the following options if no saver availability:

The Chase travel portal will let you use Ultimate Rewards, or a combination or UR and cash to book flights. If you have a Sapphire Reserve or a Sapphire Preferred, the redemption rate will be 1.5 cents per point or 1.25 cents per point respectively, instead of the regular 1 cent per point without them. (A, Ink cash or Ink Preferred will also give you the 1.25 cpp redemption rate.)

The Amex travel portal will let you redeem points at 1 cent per point towards the cost of air travel. If you have a grandfathered Business Platinum card, you will get 50% of the points you redeem back around a month after you book the ticket. If you have a non-grandfathered card, you will get 35% of your points back. (This is only available when redeeming points for tickets on your selected American carrier in economy class or on any airline in business or first class.)

The Citi travel portal also lets you redeem points at 1 cent per point towards travel and seems to have better pricing on El Al in business class.

Alternatively, you can sell your points (not here on DDF) and use the cash to buy regular tickets. This is usually the best option for people without either a Chase Sapphire Reserve or grandfathered Business Platinum who are flying economy.

Those are your only options for nonstop travel. For options with a stopover and more information in general, see https://www.dansdeals.com/points-travel/milespoints/the-ultimate-israel-mileage-award-chart/

This keeps on getting asked over and over. Besides Dan's comprehensive list of how to get to, or from, TLV here is a short list of options for travel to or from NYC in Y:
Lowest point per RT is FB 50K (less with promo, but YQ of ~$500 unless you can find unicorn DL availability), AA 80k (AA metal for transatlantic), AC 80k (LX or LO for low YQ) and UA 85k. Half that for OW.

Please add any other information to this wiki that you feel might be useful.

Author Topic: Need help finding a ticket? Post here! Award ticket edition (Master thread)  (Read 1839779 times)

Offline lindnuck

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Looking to book a vacation in Italy this summer (August) - Any help would be appreciated:

One way/Round trip: R/T - Multi-City
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any: 1 stop Max
To: FCO
Departure date: 8/6/17
Return from:  VCE or MXP
Return to: JFK
Return date: 8/13/17
Class: Business
Seats: 2
Alliance/Airline: Any - Would prefer nicest J available with least YQ (also looking for shortest duration flights, but would like to maximize time on the ground so looking for earliest arrival and latest departure)

CC/Airline Miles:  I have the following: MR (450k), UR (400k), SPG (157k), AA (200k), UA (97k), BA (80k), Delta (70k), M&M (70k)

Many thanks in advance!

What searches have you done so far? I just did a quick month view on Air France and they have their lowest charge available, 62.5k plus $23 on the outbound.

I would start with Flying Blue as they have good search, and United for the Star Alliance flights.  You have plenty of miles from your MR and UR to cover either option.

Offline sayhey

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
What searches have you done so far? I just did a quick month view on Air France and they have their lowest charge available, 62.5k plus $23 on the outbound.

I would start with Flying Blue as they have good search, and United for the Star Alliance flights.  You have plenty of miles from your MR and UR to cover either option.

Thanks for the suggestion.  The flights on Flying Blue without fuel charges include lengthy layovers in other US airports.  I will keep searching for other options.  I appreciate your response.

Offline tlautman

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
Could use some help:

Multi-City
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any: Any
To: Kaui, HI
Flying back: Maui- JFK, EWR, LGA
Departure dates: June 25-26
Return dates: July 6
Class: Economy
Alliance/Airline: Chase Sapphire Preferred Points, so flexible

Offline lindnuck

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Thanks for the suggestion.  The flights on Flying Blue without fuel charges include lengthy layovers in other US airports.  I will keep searching for other options.  I appreciate your response.

The first search I did on FB found a direct flight to Milan on the date you wanted, with only $23 in fuel surcharge. (one way)

Offline bznt

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Looking for award in j for 3 people  o/w
NYC -bud -  on April 30th
Then if possible to add on the same award bud to iev or kbp On May 2nd, there is 1 none stop bud - iev On wizz air.
I have
400k mr
157k Singapore
300k aa
300k TY ( none transferable)
129k m&m
100k ba
100k as

I found 0 in J on United , on LH I found available but with very high yq, any help or advice ... Tia

Offline ranhan429

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Hi I need help with routing / determining if this itn is a 'legit' RT ticket.

Want to use UA to book a flight from:

TLV - NYC
NYC - MIA
MIA - HNL
HNL - TLV

I started reading about UA award rules and it sounds like I am allow 1 stop over and a lot of OJ.

The NYC 'stop' can be less than 24 hours. So could this be a legitimate itn:

TLV - MIA (~< 24 hr connection in NYC)
stop over in HNL + open jaw from MIA to HNL (guess would have to purchase this leg?)
then HNL - TLV

Any help much appreciated!!!! TIA  ;D
כפרות על כפרה

Offline bratzki_pimp

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
Hey need some help folks....

One way/Round trip: RT
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any: any amount, overnight in Europe a plus
To: JNB
Departure dates: 7/02
Return Dates: 07/16
Class: Economy/Business
Alliance/Airline: SPG

Dates are flexible...Thanks!

Offline jacobz

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
One way/Round trip: round
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any: Any
To: Hawaii, KAUAI
Departure dates: I wanna be there Sunday June 25th (flexible days)
Return airports: NYC
Return dates: July 2nd
Class: any
Seats:  2
Alliance/Airline: Any
Points available:
  • 81.5K SPG
    256 United (INK, sapphire reserve, freedom)
    5K thank you points
    79K HHoners
    Hyatt card (for 2 free nights)

I would appreciate you help to find the best flight and hotels. I would appreciate any tips or tricks. This is gonna be for my honeymoon so I'm flexible with any nice island hopping during this period (June 25-July 2nd) I just want to use this point in the best way possible and have a great time. thanks :)[/list]

Offline hide4

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Does ba have availability from jfk to tlv on april 23 6:30 flight stopover in london? (Having issues logging into my account).

Offline hvaces42

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
Does ba have availability from jfk to tlv on april 23 6:30 flight stopover in london? (Having issues logging into my account).
no
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline Moshe F

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
One way/Round trip: Round Trip
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any: Max 1
To: TLV
Departure dates: Evening of May 27th (cutting too close for UA 90? 9:07 shab over), May have to leave May 28 but would want to land as early as possible on May 29.
Return dates: June 7 anytime after 8am
Class: Biz
Alliance/Airline: STAR? but not picky

520k UR
15K UA
105k AA
55k SPG
24k MR

Turkish has a flight at 1155 but i don't see it posted on UA for BIZ only for cash.
AF has a flight but its 500k points plus USD 1k fees

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
nyc-man on 5/7/17 and return man-nyc (5/21-22)
1 person direct(non-stop),cash or points cheapest ive seen is $560 on thomas cook.
thanks in advance...
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
nyc-man on 5/7/17 and return man-nyc (5/21-22)
1 person direct(non-stop),cash or points cheapest ive seen is $560 on thomas cook.
thanks in advance...
60k AA + $138.46 is cheapest One World redemption. KE redemption is 50k but I dont know the YQ.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
60k AA + $138.46 is cheapest One World redemption. KE redemption is 50k but I dont know the YQ.
I think UA was the same 60k and similar tax..
 What was weird with ba when I did direct (non stop) it was 20k and then for a stopover in London for how ever long I like dropped it to 13k, assuming that's the normal for creating a stopover? 

Assuming you have to have a login for KE to search?
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline hide4

• View Profile

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
I think UA was the same 60k and similar tax..
 What was weird with ba when I did direct (non stop) it was 20k and then for a stopover in London for how ever long I like dropped it to 13k, assuming that's the normal for creating a stopover? 

Assuming you have to have a login for KE to search?
20k was on American metal. 13k is off peak BA metal. You can get it with a stop in LHR in each direction for 26k BA but you will pay APD and YQ of ~$435. 

Offline Dave.brown0112

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
One way/Round trip: Round Trip
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any: Max 1
To: Las Vegas
Departure dates: July 6/7 or 13/14 Just going for a weekend so either weekend in July
Return dates: July 9/10 or 16/17
Class: Economy
Seats: 1
Alliance/Airline: doesnt matter

My points:
150k SPG
120k United Airlines
150k Aeroplan
200k Avios
25k alaskan

Thanks in advance. Chag Sameach!

Offline jew

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
need an economy ticket from MAN to MEL with a stop off in LAX
there is availablity on lufthansa and UNITED but which partner can i book for the lowest (as in a free stopover t(the wrong way etc)
gotta book today (its for sunday) so if can anyone advise. Thanks a lot gut moed

Offline Lazegotit

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat.
One way/Round trip: RT
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any: ANY
To: DPS
Departure dates:week of August 20th 2017
Return dates: first week of September 2017
Class: Business/First
Alliance/Airline: cheapest decent business or first, any airline.
THANK YOU!  :D

Offline keemster26

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Round trip
Nonstop or 1 stop max
To: Tlv
June 18th until the 29th
Prefer business, but economy is ok.
2 tickets
Have Amex points and chase points
Thanks a lot for the help. Trying to book a flight for FIL and MIL.