Topic Wiki

Please follow the following rules when posting in this thread. Failure to do so may result in you request being ignored or deleted.

(If you are looking to purchase a paid ticket, please post here)

FAQs:

Q: How can I use my credit card points to book a USA-TLV ticket?
A: Please read Dan's very helpful and informative guides found here and here

Great tool to see the mileage cost for a route http://www.awardhacker.com

Q: Do I have to pay a lot of money when using miles for a ticket?

A: Sometimes. For more information read this

Q: How do I find award availability?
A: For Star Alliance (United, AirCanada, Lufthansa, Swiss, and others) see this guide

For OneWorld (AmericanAirlines, BritishAirways, Iberia, Malev, and more) You can use BA's award search engine (you need to have a free BA account to access the engine). In addition, you can use Qantas' engine (free account needed as well), which will (to an extent) search Elal. As of this posting, the Elal business flights that show up are coach, and vice verse.

For Delta and AirFrance, use their respective sites. While not perfect, they are quite manageable for the casual searcher.

And of course, many of us here will take time out to help someone who is trying to learn.

Q: All this searching is making me crazy. Is there an easier way?
A: Yes, but it might cost you. Check out AwardNexus.com, KVStool.com, and expertflyer.com.

Q: I see AirCanada availability, but when I call AirCanada they say I can't use my United miles with them. Aren't they partners?
A: You can only use miles with the airline that issued them. Through that airline (in our case United) they can issue a ticket on a partner (ie AirCanada). Trying to call AirCanada with United miles, is like trying to use shekels in Mexico.

Q: I can't find availability on my dates. What should I do?
A: You should try to be as flexible as possible. Can you add a stop or 2? Can you be more flexible with your dates? The airports?
If all else fails, keep trying. Availability is constantly opening up.

Q: Can someone please help me find a ticket?
A: No! Find it yourself.  ;D ;D Just kidding. Please copy the following lines, delete the non bolded parts, and fill it out in your post.

One way/Round-trip:
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any:
To: All airports which you can arrive at. For multiple destinations, just keep adding this line
Departure dates: All possible dates that you can depart on. Please be as specific as possible.
Return airports:If different from 'To' line. Delete this line for One-way tickets
Return dates: Delete this line for One-way tickets
Class: First/Business/Coach/Any
Seats: Total number of people traveling over the age of 2
Alliance/Airline: What airline or alliance are you looking to fly with

IF you have any airline status or credit cards (Ie, United CC or status) that gives extended seat availability, please add that. Would be helpful to find you correct availability.

An additional note about using miles for direct flights from NYC-TLV

NYC-TLV is only served by 3 carriers non-stop, United, Delta, and El Al. Saver availability on Delta is non-existent. Saver availability on United is rare but sometimes available close-in. It is almost never available on or near holidays or holiday weekends, or around yomim tovim. Any award space that opens will be snatched up immediately so you have to constantly be checking if you hope to snag it if/when it opens. El AL awards are more readily available but prohibitively expensive using Matmid points (El Al's frequent flyer program) but may be able to be booked using Quantas points (transfers from Citi & Amex) at a much more reasonable rate.

This leaves the following options if no saver availability:

The Chase travel portal will let you use Ultimate Rewards, or a combination or UR and cash to book flights. If you have a Sapphire Reserve or a Sapphire Preferred, the redemption rate will be 1.5 cents per point or 1.25 cents per point respectively, instead of the regular 1 cent per point without them. (A, Ink cash or Ink Preferred will also give you the 1.25 cpp redemption rate.)

The Amex travel portal will let you redeem points at 1 cent per point towards the cost of air travel. If you have a grandfathered Business Platinum card, you will get 50% of the points you redeem back around a month after you book the ticket. If you have a non-grandfathered card, you will get 35% of your points back. (This is only available when redeeming points for tickets on your selected American carrier in economy class or on any airline in business or first class.)

The Citi travel portal also lets you redeem points at 1 cent per point towards travel and seems to have better pricing on El Al in business class.

Alternatively, you can sell your points (not here on DDF) and use the cash to buy regular tickets. This is usually the best option for people without either a Chase Sapphire Reserve or grandfathered Business Platinum who are flying economy.

Those are your only options for nonstop travel. For options with a stopover and more information in general, see https://www.dansdeals.com/points-travel/milespoints/the-ultimate-israel-mileage-award-chart/

This keeps on getting asked over and over. Besides Dan's comprehensive list of how to get to, or from, TLV here is a short list of options for travel to or from NYC in Y:
Lowest point per RT is FB 50K (less with promo, but YQ of ~$500 unless you can find unicorn DL availability), AA 80k (AA metal for transatlantic), AC 80k (LX or LO for low YQ) and UA 85k. Half that for OW.

Please add any other information to this wiki that you feel might be useful.

Author Topic: Need help finding a ticket? Post here! Award ticket edition (Master thread)  (Read 1858559 times)

Offline Daniel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
As it says quite clearly at the top of the results page on expertflyer:
Code: [Select]
SWISS Award availability reflects availability for Miles & More members. Availability to members of partner airlines may be less.

I got that. My main question was HOW to search (or better yet set an alert) for Swiss availability on UA. From other threads it seems ANA is a reliable way. Is that still the case or do we need to PUTPAC?

Offline devora

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
I would like to obtain 2 tickets from NYC to San Francisco this summer.  I am flexible with dates and I am also wondering about either driving or flying to LA before returning to NY.  Sorry if this is so open ended.  I am wondering if Avios are a good or bad choice for a stopover since I know you pay for each leg independently with Avios.  I have Avios, United and Delta

Round trip:
Maybe a stopover from San Fran to LA?
To: SFO
LAX (maybe)
Departure dates: Pretty flexible over the summer.  Looking to go for a week.
Return airports: NYC
Class: Coach
Seats: 2
Alliance/Airline: Avios, United, Delta

Offline devora

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
I would like to obtain 2 tickets from NYC to San Francisco this summer.  I am flexible with dates and I am also wondering about either driving or flying to LA before returning to NY.  Sorry if this is so open ended.  I am wondering if Avios are a good or bad choice for a stopover since I know you pay for each leg independently with Avios.  I have Avios, United and Delta

Round trip:
LAX (maybe)

to follow up on my request above, how do you search for a stopover of NYC->SFO->LAX?

Offline smart brit

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
I got that. My main question was HOW to search (or better yet set an alert) for Swiss availability on UA. From other threads it seems ANA is a reliable way. Is that still the case or do we need to PUTPAC?
on Ana they release swiss seats late sometimes but It's not guaranteed to happen

Offline smart brit

• View Profile
Elal has available for the 7:10 am flight u can book with aa too

Offline Devorah

• View Profile
to follow up on my request above, how do you search for a stopover of NYC->SFO->LAX?
If using avios, search each segment separately.

Offline Devorah

• View Profile

Round trip:
LAX (maybe)

If you wanted to use Avios, American has availability to SJC via ORD on 7/2 and you could return from LAX on 7/10.  Not sure when you wanted to go to LA but there is availability from SJC to LAX on various days.

Offline Devorah

• View Profile

Round trip:
LAX (maybe)

Actually United has numerous days with direct flights to SFO and return from LAX.  Then you could book separately SFO-LAX for just 4500 Avios.

Offline devora

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Actually United has numerous days with direct flights to SFO and return from LAX.  Then you could book separately SFO-LAX for just 4500 Avios.

Thanks so much for your responses.  Is there no way to book one flight NYC->SFO->LAx so I wouldn't have to make (and use miles for) two tickets? i have never booked an intentional stopover and was wondering how to go about doing it. 
If not, I'd prefer to use my avios points vs united points, and if i understand correctly, I need to find an AASaver award (NYC-SFO) and then find it on Ba.com and book. Same for SFO-LAX and LAX-NYC.  Is this correct? It should come out as the same amount of miles as if I used United, correct?

Offline SHMUTZEE

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
I am having a very difficult time trying to find continental US or even Carribean flights using BA miles and their website.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Search for sAAver awards on AA.com
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline SHMUTZEE

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
How would this help me in using BA points?

Offline Devorah

• View Profile
Thanks so much for your responses.  Is there no way to book one flight NYC->SFO->LAx so I wouldn't have to make (and use miles for) two tickets? i have never booked an intentional stopover and was wondering how to go about doing it. 
If not, I'd prefer to use my avios points vs united points, and if i understand correctly, I need to find an AASaver award (NYC-SFO) and then find it on Ba.com and book. Same for SFO-LAX and LAX-NYC.  Is this correct? It should come out as the same amount of miles as if I used United, correct?
No airline allows domestic stopovers AFAIK.  But it's only an extra 4500 Avios pp for SFO-LAX. 
If you can find a direct flight on AA NYC-SFO and LAX-NYC, then it will be the same 12,500 miles as United.  If there is a stopover, each leg is calculated separately.  Search on BA to see specifics.

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
From what I've read it seems Swiss traditionally releases Business seats a few days before departure. Does anyone know about Coach? Are they very tight with those?

Offline smart brit

• View Profile
I'm currently in the same boat as you. Problem is, I can't figure out how to search for Swiss availability. Expert Flyer shows there are seats but when I call up UA they don't see it. Any idea where to search?
they have released the business seats on that flight already but u are looking for coach? Nothing doing for coach yet

Offline robi

• View Profile
Looking for 2 saver economy seats on united NYC-LAX sun aug 5. Thnx!
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, then loved for who I'm not"

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
they have released the business seats on that flight already but u are looking for coach? Nothing doing for coach yet

Which flight are you talking about?

Offline smart brit

• View Profile
Which flight are you talking about?
TLV-ZRH Jul 13 5AM

Offline dirah

• View Profile
LAX-SYD or SFO-SYD on UA (one way)
Oct 14, 15 or 16
There has been no availability for the last two months, and I am curious what the availability for 1K member are.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 08:13:01 PM by dirah »

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
LAX-SYD on UA (one way)
Oct 14, 15 or 16
There has been no availability for the last two months, and I am curious what the availability for 1K member are.
I'm assuming u mean J/F as Y is the same for all elites & cc holders.

On 14 there are 2  seats in First from LAX to SYD or SFO to SYD. On the 16th there's one in F from lax

Availability is the same for Plat & 1K. Perhaps GS can get seats manually opened, but I haven't seen any confirmed reports of that.

Good luck finding a plat to book for u.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים