Topic Wiki

Please follow the following rules when posting in this thread. Failure to do so may result in you request being ignored or deleted.

(If you are looking to purchase a paid ticket, please post here)

FAQs:

Q: How can I use my credit card points to book a USA-TLV ticket?
A: Please read Dan's very helpful and informative guides found here and here

Great tool to see the mileage cost for a route http://www.awardhacker.com

Q: Do I have to pay a lot of money when using miles for a ticket?

A: Sometimes. For more information read this

Q: How do I find award availability?
A: For Star Alliance (United, AirCanada, Lufthansa, Swiss, and others) see this guide

For OneWorld (AmericanAirlines, BritishAirways, Iberia, Malev, and more) You can use BA's award search engine (you need to have a free BA account to access the engine). In addition, you can use Qantas' engine (free account needed as well), which will (to an extent) search Elal. As of this posting, the Elal business flights that show up are coach, and vice verse.

For Delta and AirFrance, use their respective sites. While not perfect, they are quite manageable for the casual searcher.

And of course, many of us here will take time out to help someone who is trying to learn.

Q: All this searching is making me crazy. Is there an easier way?
A: Yes, but it might cost you. Check out AwardNexus.com, KVStool.com, and expertflyer.com.

Q: I see AirCanada availability, but when I call AirCanada they say I can't use my United miles with them. Aren't they partners?
A: You can only use miles with the airline that issued them. Through that airline (in our case United) they can issue a ticket on a partner (ie AirCanada). Trying to call AirCanada with United miles, is like trying to use shekels in Mexico.

Q: I can't find availability on my dates. What should I do?
A: You should try to be as flexible as possible. Can you add a stop or 2? Can you be more flexible with your dates? The airports?
If all else fails, keep trying. Availability is constantly opening up.

Q: Can someone please help me find a ticket?
A: No! Find it yourself.  ;D ;D Just kidding. Please copy the following lines, delete the non bolded parts, and fill it out in your post.

One way/Round-trip:
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any:
To: All airports which you can arrive at. For multiple destinations, just keep adding this line
Departure dates: All possible dates that you can depart on. Please be as specific as possible.
Return airports:If different from 'To' line. Delete this line for One-way tickets
Return dates: Delete this line for One-way tickets
Class: First/Business/Coach/Any
Seats: Total number of people traveling over the age of 2
Alliance/Airline: What airline or alliance are you looking to fly with

IF you have any airline status or credit cards (Ie, United CC or status) that gives extended seat availability, please add that. Would be helpful to find you correct availability.

An additional note about using miles for direct flights from NYC-TLV

NYC-TLV is only served by 3 carriers non-stop, United, Delta, and El Al. Saver availability on Delta is non-existent. Saver availability on United is rare but sometimes available close-in. It is almost never available on or near holidays or holiday weekends, or around yomim tovim. Any award space that opens will be snatched up immediately so you have to constantly be checking if you hope to snag it if/when it opens. El AL awards are more readily available but prohibitively expensive using Matmid points (El Al's frequent flyer program) but may be able to be booked using Quantas points (transfers from Citi & Amex) at a much more reasonable rate.

This leaves the following options if no saver availability:

The Chase travel portal will let you use Ultimate Rewards, or a combination or UR and cash to book flights. If you have a Sapphire Reserve or a Sapphire Preferred, the redemption rate will be 1.5 cents per point or 1.25 cents per point respectively, instead of the regular 1 cent per point without them. (A, Ink cash or Ink Preferred will also give you the 1.25 cpp redemption rate.)

The Amex travel portal will let you redeem points at 1 cent per point towards the cost of air travel. If you have a grandfathered Business Platinum card, you will get 50% of the points you redeem back around a month after you book the ticket. If you have a non-grandfathered card, you will get 35% of your points back. (This is only available when redeeming points for tickets on your selected American carrier in economy class or on any airline in business or first class.)

The Citi travel portal also lets you redeem points at 1 cent per point towards travel and seems to have better pricing on El Al in business class.

Alternatively, you can sell your points (not here on DDF) and use the cash to buy regular tickets. This is usually the best option for people without either a Chase Sapphire Reserve or grandfathered Business Platinum who are flying economy.

Those are your only options for nonstop travel. For options with a stopover and more information in general, see https://www.dansdeals.com/points-travel/milespoints/the-ultimate-israel-mileage-award-chart/

This keeps on getting asked over and over. Besides Dan's comprehensive list of how to get to, or from, TLV here is a short list of options for travel to or from NYC in Y:
Lowest point per RT is FB 50K (less with promo, but YQ of ~$500 unless you can find unicorn DL availability), AA 80k (AA metal for transatlantic), AC 80k (LX or LO for low YQ) and UA 85k. Half that for OW.

Please add any other information to this wiki that you feel might be useful.

Author Topic: Need help finding a ticket? Post here! Award ticket edition (Master thread)  (Read 1858799 times)

Offline Jack-L

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Need help finding a ticket? Post here! Award ticket edition (Master thread)
« Reply #1540 on: January 10, 2013, 12:50:23 AM »
I see a 5:20pm flight from ewr available, that's the latest u could get for tomorrow.
Thanks for the quick response..I'm searching right now on BA.COM and it doesn't come up by me. What exactly did you search for?

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: January 10, 2013, 12:51:29 AM »
Thanks for the quick response..I'm searching right now on BA.COM and it doesn't come up by me. What exactly did you search for?

EWR to MIA, for today in economy class.

Offline Redbull3

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1542 on: January 10, 2013, 12:26:44 PM »
I'm a total n00b in redeeming points for flights (I've mostly been selling).

I have Amex UR 75K. I'm thinking MR --> BA might be my best bet. I also have some Chase UR, Amex bluesky, citi thank you with premier, and very small amounts of AA and Jetblue points/miles.

One way/Round trip: 3 1 way legs
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any: Non stops only
From/To:  LGA/JFK to ORD, ORD to PHX, PHX to LGA/JFK
Departure/Return dates:
NY to Chi: Sunday 3/25, any time.
Chi to AZ: Motzei shabbas 3/30 or Sunday 3/31. Need to get there as early as possible b/c of YT.
AZ to NY: Tuesday 4/2 after YT preferred or Wednesday morning if need be.
Class: Any
Seats: 2 Adults
Alliance/Airline: Whatever works. I don't want to pay bag fees (are those ever applicable on award flights?)

Offline sruly101

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: January 10, 2013, 01:35:52 PM »
Round trip
With stops or non

To: YUL (Montral)
Departure dates: Feb. 26
Return airports: Or YUL or from NYC (would like to come back home from NYC if not more expensive)
Return dates: Mar. 3
Seats:1
Alliance/Airline: Any, i got 160MR 82UA 67AA 56UR

Offline EE4504

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: January 10, 2013, 02:15:30 PM »
Round trip
Non-stop:
To: HONG KONG
Departure dates: February 24th 2013
Return dates: March 1st 2013
Class:Business
Seats: 1
Alliance/Airline: Avios miles

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #1545 on: January 10, 2013, 03:14:24 PM »
(are those ever applicable on award flights?)

They sure are, unless u have their credit card.

Offline BWIADCA

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: January 10, 2013, 03:27:57 PM »
I'm a total n00b in redeeming points for flights (I've mostly been selling).

I have Amex UR 75K. I'm thinking MR --> BA might be my best bet. I also have some Chase UR, Amex bluesky, citi thank you with premier, and very small amounts of AA and Jetblue points/miles.

One way/Round trip: 3 1 way legs
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any: Non stops only
From/To:  LGA/JFK to ORD, ORD to PHX, PHX to LGA/JFK
Departure/Return dates:
NY to Chi: Sunday 3/25, any time.
Chi to AZ: Motzei shabbas 3/30 or Sunday 3/31. Need to get there as early as possible b/c of YT.
AZ to NY: Tuesday 4/2 after YT preferred or Wednesday morning if need be.
Seats: 2 Adults
Alliance/Airline: Whatever works. I don't want to pay bag fees (are those ever applicable on award flights?)

You can use UA or Star Alliance to go from NYC to ORD and from PHX back to NYC.  For the ORD to PHX leg, BA shows availability for 10K Avios.  With the current 30%, that's little under 8K Membership Reward points.

Good Luck!

Offline BWIADCA

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: January 10, 2013, 03:31:53 PM »
Round trip
With stops or non

To: YUL (Montral)
Departure dates: Feb. 26
Return airports: Or YUL or from NYC (would like to come back home from NYC if not more expensive)
Return dates: Mar. 3
Seats:1
Alliance/Airline: Any, i got 160MR 82UA 67AA 56UR

There are plenty 40k for economy and 60K for business if you want to use your UA miles.  All those are for 2-stop trips.  If you want a one stop, it will cost 75K for economy.

Good Luck

Offline BWIADCA

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: January 10, 2013, 03:34:53 PM »

I searched and found the same thing.  Make sure you check economy.  BA's website automatically selects first (at least for me). but I can confirm seeing the 5:20 flight with at least 7 seats left.

Offline Redbull3

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1549 on: January 10, 2013, 03:42:47 PM »
You can use UA or Star Alliance to go from NYC to ORD and from PHX back to NYC.  For the ORD to PHX leg, BA shows availability for 10K Avios.  With the current 30%, that's little under 8K Membership Reward points.

Good Luck!

Thanks so much!
Does MR transfer to UA/Star Alliance at 1:1? How many points will that require? For ORD to PHX that's 10K Avios per person right?

Offline BWIADCA

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: January 10, 2013, 03:59:09 PM »
Thanks so much!
Does MR transfer to UA/Star Alliance at 1:1? How many points will that require? For ORD to PHX that's 10K Avios per person right?

While MRs do not transfer directly to UA, Aeroplan is always an option  :D. It will be like any other domestic flight 25K round trip.  Since MR transfer to Air Canada Aeroplan at 1:1 that means 25K MRs. 

Yes, that is 10K per person.

Enjoy your trip if you decide to take it.

Good luck!

Offline BWIADCA

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: January 10, 2013, 04:01:40 PM »
Thanks so much!

Another excellent choice is Singapore Airlines which will allow you to fly round-trip in UA First (domestic first) for 40K.  I am not aware of your balances so plan accordingly.

Good luck!

Offline d234

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: January 11, 2013, 01:17:56 AM »
Round trip:
Non-stop or one stop
To: tel aviv
Departure dates: march 13,14 17,18
Return airports: same as depature
Return dates:april 4,7,8,9
Class: Coach/Any
Seats: 7
Alliance/Airline: i have 308,236 in aa miles in 2 accounts. 209397 in ur points divided in 2 accounts.160778 in united miles and 65000 spg points.  is there any way to use these to pay or mostly pay to take my family to israel for pesach.  id love to pay someone to do this for me i have 50000amex points avalable next month i can pay with if someone can help me book this.  im totally clueless

Offline rots5

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
    • Custom Cakes for Every Occassion
« Reply #1553 on: January 12, 2013, 02:23:40 PM »
Round trip:
Non-stop or one stop
To: tel aviv
Departure dates: march 13,14 17,18
Return airports: same as depature
Return dates:april 4,7,8,9
Class: Coach/Any
Seats: 7
Alliance/Airline: i have 308,236 in aa miles in 2 accounts. 209397 in ur points divided in 2 accounts.160778 in united miles and 65000 spg points.  is there any way to use these to pay or mostly pay to take my family to israel for pesach.  id love to pay someone to do this for me i have 50000amex points avalable next month i can pay with if someone can help me book this.  im totally clueless

need an apt while ur here?
If you have any questions please search and then ask. PM me for detailed help.

Offline dirah

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: January 12, 2013, 11:06:34 PM »
Looking at NYC-SYD one way, week of April 14.
Economy.
I don't want to cross the dateline, I see that I can get in at 62,500 using UA miles with SQ or TG.
I want to know if there is a cheaper way, with either UA or AA miles.
Thanks.

Offline mobobs770

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Detroit to Las Vegas Feb 17-21
« Reply #1555 on: January 13, 2013, 12:51:02 AM »
To: Las Vegas
Departure dates: Sunday Feb 17
Return dates: Feb 21 or 22 if it's a morning flight
Seats: 2
I've got over 100k miles with BA plus a companion ticket so I'd like to use those if possible. I also have enough miles with chase and amex so I can transfer to any other airline if this isn't possible.
Thanks in advance!

Offline cweissman

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
Tix JFK to Amsterdam using Avios + MRs + AAs + etc?
« Reply #1556 on: January 13, 2013, 11:21:04 AM »
Hi, all. I'm looking to go from NYC to Amsterdam (or nearby) in July of this summer. I'd love to get 2 business class tickets for as much of the flight as possible. If I have to transfer in, say, London, I'm happy to get business from JFK to LHR and then coach from LHR to AMS. I also set up Iberia accounts if it makes sense to transfer the Avios there and go through Madrid.

Here is what i have: Two avios accounts with 50,000 pts each; 85,000 Membership rewards pts, 40,000 Aadvantage miles, 60,000 SPG pts. Let me know what you think. By the way, is there an app for that?

Offline BWIADCA

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Detroit to Las Vegas Feb 17-21
« Reply #1557 on: January 14, 2013, 02:19:15 PM »
To: Las Vegas
Departure dates: Sunday Feb 17
Return dates: Feb 21 or 22 if it's a morning flight
Seats: 2
I've got over 100k miles with BA plus a companion ticket so I'd like to use those if possible. I also have enough miles with chase and amex so I can transfer to any other airline if this isn't possible.
Thanks in advance!

I do not see any award availability with United, Delta, or American.  Well I do but they miles required are too high (40K for Delta).

My advice is to just pay for the tickets.  I see Spirit Airlines for the dates you wanted for $268.  I would definitely keep my miles if I was in your position.  25K miles plus taxes is worth more than $268.

Good Luck!

Offline BWIADCA

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Tix JFK to Amsterdam using Avios + MRs + AAs + etc?
« Reply #1558 on: January 14, 2013, 02:31:51 PM »
Hi, all. I'm looking to go from NYC to Amsterdam (or nearby) in July of this summer. I'd love to get 2 business class tickets for as much of the flight as possible. If I have to transfer in, say, London, I'm happy to get business from JFK to LHR and then coach from LHR to AMS. I also set up Iberia accounts if it makes sense to transfer the Avios there and go through Madrid.

Here is what i have: Two avios accounts with 50,000 pts each; 85,000 Membership rewards pts, 40,000 Aadvantage miles, 60,000 SPG pts. Let me know what you think. By the way, is there an app for that?

There is no way to do this without paying fuel surcharges.

If you want to fly business class to and from LHR, you will have to pay around $430 per person for taxes and fuel charges. 

Then with your AA and SPG miles and points, book the return. 

Do you have any other miles or points?  United ones would have come in handy about now.

Offline balmore

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
Baltimore - Tel Aviv June 2013
« Reply #1559 on: January 14, 2013, 07:04:38 PM »
Hi Everybody,

I am new at this.  I would like to take my son (2 tickets) to Tel Aviv June 2013 round trip after yeshiva ends for 2 weeks.  Departing: Philly, Newark, Dulles etc. whatever is reasonable from Baltimore, MD.
Looking for best prices, preferably non-stop but 1 stop is ok.  Coach

Help!
Thanks