Topic Wiki

Please follow the following rules when posting in this thread. Failure to do so may result in you request being ignored or deleted.

(If you are looking to purchase a paid ticket, please post here)

FAQs:

Q: How can I use my credit card points to book a USA-TLV ticket?
A: Please read Dan's very helpful and informative guides found here and here

Great tool to see the mileage cost for a route http://www.awardhacker.com

Q: Do I have to pay a lot of money when using miles for a ticket?

A: Sometimes. For more information read this

Q: How do I find award availability?
A: For Star Alliance (United, AirCanada, Lufthansa, Swiss, and others) see this guide

For OneWorld (AmericanAirlines, BritishAirways, Iberia, Malev, and more) You can use BA's award search engine (you need to have a free BA account to access the engine). In addition, you can use Qantas' engine (free account needed as well), which will (to an extent) search Elal. As of this posting, the Elal business flights that show up are coach, and vice verse.

For Delta and AirFrance, use their respective sites. While not perfect, they are quite manageable for the casual searcher.

And of course, many of us here will take time out to help someone who is trying to learn.

Q: All this searching is making me crazy. Is there an easier way?
A: Yes, but it might cost you. Check out AwardNexus.com, KVStool.com, and expertflyer.com.

Q: I see AirCanada availability, but when I call AirCanada they say I can't use my United miles with them. Aren't they partners?
A: You can only use miles with the airline that issued them. Through that airline (in our case United) they can issue a ticket on a partner (ie AirCanada). Trying to call AirCanada with United miles, is like trying to use shekels in Mexico.

Q: I can't find availability on my dates. What should I do?
A: You should try to be as flexible as possible. Can you add a stop or 2? Can you be more flexible with your dates? The airports?
If all else fails, keep trying. Availability is constantly opening up.

Q: Can someone please help me find a ticket?
A: No! Find it yourself.  ;D ;D Just kidding. Please copy the following lines, delete the non bolded parts, and fill it out in your post.

One way/Round-trip:
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any:
To: All airports which you can arrive at. For multiple destinations, just keep adding this line
Departure dates: All possible dates that you can depart on. Please be as specific as possible.
Return airports:If different from 'To' line. Delete this line for One-way tickets
Return dates: Delete this line for One-way tickets
Class: First/Business/Coach/Any
Seats: Total number of people traveling over the age of 2
Alliance/Airline: What airline or alliance are you looking to fly with

IF you have any airline status or credit cards (Ie, United CC or status) that gives extended seat availability, please add that. Would be helpful to find you correct availability.

An additional note about using miles for direct flights from NYC-TLV

NYC-TLV is only served by 3 carriers non-stop, United, Delta, and El Al. Saver availability on Delta is non-existent. Saver availability on United is rare but sometimes available close-in. It is almost never available on or near holidays or holiday weekends, or around yomim tovim. Any award space that opens will be snatched up immediately so you have to constantly be checking if you hope to snag it if/when it opens. El AL awards are more readily available but prohibitively expensive using Matmid points (El Al's frequent flyer program) but may be able to be booked using Quantas points (transfers from Citi & Amex) at a much more reasonable rate.

This leaves the following options if no saver availability:

The Chase travel portal will let you use Ultimate Rewards, or a combination or UR and cash to book flights. If you have a Sapphire Reserve or a Sapphire Preferred, the redemption rate will be 1.5 cents per point or 1.25 cents per point respectively, instead of the regular 1 cent per point without them. (A, Ink cash or Ink Preferred will also give you the 1.25 cpp redemption rate.)

The Amex travel portal will let you redeem points at 1 cent per point towards the cost of air travel. If you have a grandfathered Business Platinum card, you will get 50% of the points you redeem back around a month after you book the ticket. If you have a non-grandfathered card, you will get 35% of your points back. (This is only available when redeeming points for tickets on your selected American carrier in economy class or on any airline in business or first class.)

The Citi travel portal also lets you redeem points at 1 cent per point towards travel and seems to have better pricing on El Al in business class.

Alternatively, you can sell your points (not here on DDF) and use the cash to buy regular tickets. This is usually the best option for people without either a Chase Sapphire Reserve or grandfathered Business Platinum who are flying economy.

Those are your only options for nonstop travel. For options with a stopover and more information in general, see https://www.dansdeals.com/points-travel/milespoints/the-ultimate-israel-mileage-award-chart/

This keeps on getting asked over and over. Besides Dan's comprehensive list of how to get to, or from, TLV here is a short list of options for travel to or from NYC in Y:
Lowest point per RT is FB 50K (less with promo, but YQ of ~$500 unless you can find unicorn DL availability), AA 80k (AA metal for transatlantic), AC 80k (LX or LO for low YQ) and UA 85k. Half that for OW.

Please add any other information to this wiki that you feel might be useful.

Author Topic: Need help finding a ticket? Post here! Award ticket edition (Master thread)  (Read 1857352 times)

Offline businessmachine

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Find availability on aa.com and, if necessary, call to book and ask for waiver of fee.

Thanks- will try that!

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Need some help please...

Brother in law is having a brit on Sunday and he's trying to fly his mother in from Israel on a one way award ticket. I immediately thought of air berlin with avios but nothing is coming up on BA because the dates have ba flights. Any way to get around that and book airberlin with avios?
United has coach seats on thurs. for   40 k and $151.27 but they're connecting flights w 16, 18, 22 hours flight time.  Also  business for 60 K miles and $140 with stops and 14.5 hrs flight time.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 01:03:55 AM by ckmk47 »
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline smart brit

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Find availability on aa.com and, if necessary, call to book and ask for waiver of fee.
usually on ba.com they will show availability with partners too

Offline smart brit

• View Profile
I am aware of the London taxes being ridiculous. I cant find availability through any other European city on my dates. I am seeking help from anyone who can help me look/search.
open skies from Paris orly to either ewr or jfk has availability on Aug 6 in economy.
These tickets are bookable on ba.com 20k avios +256 approximately

Offline Yose

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Gold, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, LeClub Accorhotels Platinum, Herz PC, National Executive, Avis Pres

Looking for a ticket from LAX to NYC on March 21 for 2ppl.

So far no luck with miles and non stop flights are over $350

Any Ideas?

TIA

Offline eddiovideo

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
Chaikel or someone, please help me!

I DEFINITELY NEED HELP!!!
need 6 tickets in August for 10 days from NYC to TLV. preferably August 11-21 roundtrip nonstop or  1 STOP
can use any miles which are available for purchase. I can buy them

Offline Kvending

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
I'm looking for cheapest possible One Ticket form NY-(airport doesn't matter) to LAX for Paysach & round trip. Please let me know. Thanks.

Offline Platinum

• View Profile
I need to fly from IAD-SFO on June 20 on the 12:30 pm flight. Can anyone with UA status check if the flight is available in j? Thanks

Offline sruly

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
I need 1 seat RT from JFK-BRU Mar 7-11 in 1st class.

I have chase and amex points.

i can connect somewhere using 2 seperate tickets ex. united miles BRU to FRA and singapore from FRA to JFK
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 02:15:01 PM by sruly »

Offline Amusch

• View Profile
I'm a little confused. Looking to go to Hawaii this summer (from NYC). Was going to do United card, and use the 40K for roundtrip, but is the Southwest deal better? How many of those points are needed for RT to Hawaii, not to mention the bags and cancellation bonuses?

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
I'm a little confused. Looking to go to Hawaii this summer (from NYC). Was going to do United card, and use the 40K for roundtrip, but is the Southwest deal better? How many of those points are needed for RT to Hawaii, not to mention the bags and cancellation bonuses?

WN is a revenue based program; it's not a set amount.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Am

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
I'm looking for a flight from Newark or Philly to Los Angeles must be direct flights(it's for my grandmother so stopovers are difficult) leaving March 21 returning April 3rd. I have miles with almost any airline
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 04:56:54 PM by Am »

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
I need to fly from IAD-SFO on June 20 on the 12:30 pm flight. Can anyone with UA status check if the flight is available in j? Thanks
I don't know letter codes.
Not avail in 'saver award' (12.5 K miles)  but is avail in 'standard award' (25K miles)
same for business: no 'saver'  only 'standard' for 50K miles.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline whYME

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile

Hi guys, I'm trying to book some tickets for Pesach, and as embarrassing as it is to admit, I don't have a clue how this works and where to start.  :-[ :(

I'm looking to book using UA miles.

Round trip:
Max 1 stop:
To: OAK, SFO, SJC.
Departure dates: 1 ticket needs to be on 3/21, the rest (must be together but) can be anytime from the 17th to 21st
Return dates: 1 should be on 4/2 LATE (i.e. in the vicinity of 11pm,) the rest (must be together but) have more flexibility, they can be anytime from the 2nd to 7th (obviously taking shabbos into account)
Class: Coach
Seats: 6
Alliance/Airline: booking with UA

So far I tried looking on United.com, the only "saver award" flights I found there were from EWR, which is really not ideal.
I also tried searching using ANA but didn't find anything more than what I had found at UA...

Is there any way of finding 12.5k (or even cheaper somehow?) tickets from JFK or LGA? (I'm guessing the Star Alliance Award Search Tips thread has this info, but by the time I get through the 30 pages and figure out what it all means I'll miss my flight :) )

Thanks!

ETA: I also searched US but only found "20,00 Medium" or "30,000 High" -whatever that means- for days which work for me...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 01:58:34 AM by whYME »

Offline ygift

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
how do u do a business ticket for 90000 points?
also looking for a ticket from ewr to Chicago
how do I get the discounted rate. I know aa has availability but I'm not sure where to transfer amex points to in order to do it

Offline whYME

• View Profile
Ok, I'll make this simpler.

One passenger

Maximum 1 stop
To: OAK, SFO or if necessary SJC
Departure dates: 3/21 (or 3/22 early, if necessary)
Return airports: From OAK or SFO to JFK or if necessary LGA
Return dates: 4/2  late (11-ish pm, It's motzei yomtov)
Seats: 1
Alliance/Airline: *A, (booking with UA miles)

If anybody can find me a saver award I'd greatly appreciate it!

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Search united.com. If it aint there, you're outta luck.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline whYME

• View Profile
Search united.com. If it aint there, you're outta luck.
is it really that simple? So what's the 30 pages of the *A search thread all about? (i guess I better get started reading...)

Offline AJK

• View Profile
is it really that simple? So what's the 30 pages of the *A search thread all about? (i guess I better get started reading...)

For *A domestically on those routes, it's either US or UA. And UA is a better engine.

Offline whYME

• View Profile
For *A domestically on those routes, it's either US or UA. And UA is a better engine.
Got it, thanks.

What if I were to use MR or SPG? that would obviously give me far more options. What carriers should I look at for those routes?