Topic Wiki

Please follow the following rules when posting in this thread. Failure to do so may result in you request being ignored or deleted.

(If you are looking to purchase a paid ticket, please post here)

FAQs:

Q: How can I use my credit card points to book a USA-TLV ticket?
A: Please read Dan's very helpful and informative guides found here and here

Great tool to see the mileage cost for a route http://www.awardhacker.com

Q: Do I have to pay a lot of money when using miles for a ticket?

A: Sometimes. For more information read this

Q: How do I find award availability?
A: For Star Alliance (United, AirCanada, Lufthansa, Swiss, and others) see this guide

For OneWorld (AmericanAirlines, BritishAirways, Iberia, Malev, and more) You can use BA's award search engine (you need to have a free BA account to access the engine). In addition, you can use Qantas' engine (free account needed as well), which will (to an extent) search Elal. As of this posting, the Elal business flights that show up are coach, and vice verse.

For Delta and AirFrance, use their respective sites. While not perfect, they are quite manageable for the casual searcher.

And of course, many of us here will take time out to help someone who is trying to learn.

Q: All this searching is making me crazy. Is there an easier way?
A: Yes, but it might cost you. Check out AwardNexus.com, KVStool.com, and expertflyer.com.

Q: I see AirCanada availability, but when I call AirCanada they say I can't use my United miles with them. Aren't they partners?
A: You can only use miles with the airline that issued them. Through that airline (in our case United) they can issue a ticket on a partner (ie AirCanada). Trying to call AirCanada with United miles, is like trying to use shekels in Mexico.

Q: I can't find availability on my dates. What should I do?
A: You should try to be as flexible as possible. Can you add a stop or 2? Can you be more flexible with your dates? The airports?
If all else fails, keep trying. Availability is constantly opening up.

Q: Can someone please help me find a ticket?
A: No! Find it yourself.  ;D ;D Just kidding. Please copy the following lines, delete the non bolded parts, and fill it out in your post.

One way/Round-trip:
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any:
To: All airports which you can arrive at. For multiple destinations, just keep adding this line
Departure dates: All possible dates that you can depart on. Please be as specific as possible.
Return airports:If different from 'To' line. Delete this line for One-way tickets
Return dates: Delete this line for One-way tickets
Class: First/Business/Coach/Any
Seats: Total number of people traveling over the age of 2
Alliance/Airline: What airline or alliance are you looking to fly with

IF you have any airline status or credit cards (Ie, United CC or status) that gives extended seat availability, please add that. Would be helpful to find you correct availability.

An additional note about using miles for direct flights from NYC-TLV

NYC-TLV is only served by 3 carriers non-stop, United, Delta, and El Al. Saver availability on Delta is non-existent. Saver availability on United is rare but sometimes available close-in. It is almost never available on or near holidays or holiday weekends, or around yomim tovim. Any award space that opens will be snatched up immediately so you have to constantly be checking if you hope to snag it if/when it opens. El AL awards are more readily available but prohibitively expensive using Matmid points (El Al's frequent flyer program) but may be able to be booked using Quantas points (transfers from Citi & Amex) at a much more reasonable rate.

This leaves the following options if no saver availability:

The Chase travel portal will let you use Ultimate Rewards, or a combination or UR and cash to book flights. If you have a Sapphire Reserve or a Sapphire Preferred, the redemption rate will be 1.5 cents per point or 1.25 cents per point respectively, instead of the regular 1 cent per point without them. (A, Ink cash or Ink Preferred will also give you the 1.25 cpp redemption rate.)

The Amex travel portal will let you redeem points at 1 cent per point towards the cost of air travel. If you have a grandfathered Business Platinum card, you will get 50% of the points you redeem back around a month after you book the ticket. If you have a non-grandfathered card, you will get 35% of your points back. (This is only available when redeeming points for tickets on your selected American carrier in economy class or on any airline in business or first class.)

The Citi travel portal also lets you redeem points at 1 cent per point towards travel and seems to have better pricing on El Al in business class.

Alternatively, you can sell your points (not here on DDF) and use the cash to buy regular tickets. This is usually the best option for people without either a Chase Sapphire Reserve or grandfathered Business Platinum who are flying economy.

Those are your only options for nonstop travel. For options with a stopover and more information in general, see https://www.dansdeals.com/points-travel/milespoints/the-ultimate-israel-mileage-award-chart/

This keeps on getting asked over and over. Besides Dan's comprehensive list of how to get to, or from, TLV here is a short list of options for travel to or from NYC in Y:
Lowest point per RT is FB 50K (less with promo, but YQ of ~$500 unless you can find unicorn DL availability), AA 80k (AA metal for transatlantic), AC 80k (LX or LO for low YQ) and UA 85k. Half that for OW.

Please add any other information to this wiki that you feel might be useful.

Author Topic: Need help finding a ticket? Post here! Award ticket edition (Master thread)  (Read 1838783 times)

Offline Yankys

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Multi citi
iAd may21 to cnx
May27 cnx to mxp
June 4th mxp to iAd

I really want to fly first

I have 300 united miles

Thank you

Offline Chabadguy

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
Hi if anyone can please help me with this odd itinerary I would greatly appreciate it!

Round trip/multi city
Dont care much about stops but if need to stop I would rather it be a long stop. Just need to arrive with adequate time before shabbos.
To: Venice (or Rome if I arrive earlyish so I can take a train to venice before shabbos)
Departure dates: thursday June 13th only
Return airports: either Barcelona, Geneva or Zurich.
Return dates: Sunday June 23 only
Class: As cheap as possible
Seats: 2
Alliance/Airline: I don't really care. But I have tons of MR points and two separate united accounts with about 75,000-79,000 in each

So in short I am going on a euro trip would like to be in venice for my first shabbos and either one of those 3 cities for my second (and last) shabbos and then work my trip around that. (I have a basic itinerary plan as of now) (Or maybe even paris for the second shabbos but that is sort o last choice) any other idea for that shabbos may also work...
I looked on tons of different sites (I'm not completely clueless:)) and I can't really find much, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Offline Chabadguy

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
Also any suggestions on how to book this flight for way cheaper (or with miles)?
Thank again!

Offline SHMIDT

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
I was wondering if anyone out there has experience in booking a Virgin Australia flight using Flying Blue points (via Delta)? Can it be done? and does that mean I can book one way?

thanks in advance!

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
I was wondering if anyone out there has experience in booking a Virgin Australia flight using Flying Blue points (via Delta)? Can it be done? and does that mean I can book one way?

thanks in advance!

No. No.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline ez1985

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
I think I may have asked this before, but I have 200k MR points and would like to fly business class to Israel with my wife.  I have some starwood points also that i can add if necessary.  Would like to fly on or around jun 12 and return on jun 20.  I can also spend some money if necessary.  Where do i start?  I'm a beginner at using miles for a flight this long and would appreciate any help.  I

Offline dostrow

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
One way/Round trip: Round Trip
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any: Any
From: All airports from which you can depart: JFK, EWR, LGA, PHL, etc.
To: All airports which you can arrive at. For multiple destinations, just keep adding this line: TLV
Departure dates: All possible dates that you can depart on. Please be as specific as possible. December 21 (Night),22, 23, 24
Return dates: Delete this line for One way tickets: December 31, January 1, 2014.
Class: First/Business/Coach/Any: Coach/ Business
Total number of people traveling over the age of 2: 2
Alliance/Airline: What airline or alliance are you looking to fly with? United, any Partner, etc. I have a lot of miles with United (500K).  I also have a lot of Starwood miles and about 200K of Chase Saphire.
We are going to Israel to visit our son who will be there for the year. Would like to fly non-stop business if the United 60K each way miles are there but the only thing I can seem to find right now is 60K using Lufthansa through Frankfurt. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Offline shmooz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
I held a one way through AA on Elal biz to TLV during summer bein hazemanim. . I think I'm lucky to get that.

BUT AA can't find anything on the way back for Aug 1, or 4 or 5th. StarA doesnt show anything either.

Can come back to NY non-stop or to DC area through Europe.

Would really appreciate any ideas. Have all types of miles available.

Offline fdg9

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
One way/Round trip: Round
To: All airports which you can arrive at. For multiple destinations, just keep adding this line TLV
Departure dates: All possible dates that you can depart on. Please be as specific as possible. June 11-12
Return airports: If different from 'To' line. Delete this line for One way tickets
Return dates: Delete this line for One way tickets July 7
Class: First/Business/Coach/Any Coach
Seats: Total number of people traveling over the age of 2 4
Alliance/Airline: What airline or alliance are you looking to fly with Any: I have lots of miles with all major airlines

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Why didn't Dan mention this in the alrticle
Do you have a sample date to see what you're talking about?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline efflpetzel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
One way/Round trip: Round trip/multi city
To: KBP
Departure dates: 5/12
Return airports: KBP to NYC or RZE to NYC
Return dates: 5/17 or 5/19 from KBP, RZE to NYC on 5/20
Class: Any Coach
Seats: 1
Alliance/Airline: Any, i have 87k chase ur, 67k amex mr, 170k united & 50k spg,

Hi people i'm looking to fly to mezibush for shevous for the baal shem tov's yortziet, i checked united.com & see no outgoing availability,  i'm wondering if anyone can please help.
thanks a million in advance !!!

Offline smart brit

• View Profile
One way/Round trip: Round trip/multi city
To: KBP
Departure dates: 5/12
Return airports: KBP to NYC or RZE to NYC
Return dates: 5/17 or 5/19 from KBP, RZE to NYC on 5/20
Class: Any Coach
Seats: 1
Alliance/Airline: Any, i have 87k chase ur, 67k amex mr, 170k united & 50k spg,

Hi people i'm looking to fly to mezibush for shevous for the baal shem tov's yortziet, i checked united.com & see no outgoing availability,  i'm wondering if anyone can please help.
thanks a million in advance !!!

Are your dates flexible?
On UA you have available flights return on monday

Offline smart brit

• View Profile
I held a one way through AA on Elal biz to TLV during summer bein hazemanim. . I think I'm lucky to get that.

BUT AA can't find anything on the way back for Aug 1, or 4 or 5th. StarA doesnt show anything either.

Can come back to NY non-stop or to DC area through Europe.

Would really appreciate any ideas. Have all types of miles available.
Just 1 pax?

Offline Chabadguy

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
One way/Round trip: one way
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any: 1
To: NYC area
Departure dates: 6/23
Return airports:
Return dates:
Class: Any
Seats: 3
Alliance/Airline: united miles

I would prefer to fly out of venice on Sunday but if there's availability from another city on Sunday Ill take Ryan air on something to that city on Sunday and then fly out of there. Thank again in advance!!

Offline shmooz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Just 1 pax?

Thank you for the response. Yes it is one pax. I found something b'dieved for Aug 4 on LH but if you have any other ideas would love to hear it. Booked it but could cancel today.

Offline JOEDAVID

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
need 4 tickets end of june - have 500,000 miles on ultimate rewards

Offline MEIR613

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
need 4 tickets end of june - have 500,000 miles on ultimate rewards
You serious??

Where? When? What? How?

Offline efflpetzel

• View Profile
Are your dates flexible?
On UA you have available flights return on monday
i need to leave on 5/12 & i don't see any availability outgoing, return from kbp on 5/17 or 5/19, or return from rze on 5/20,
thanks for your help

Offline ygift

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
To: Tlv
Departure date: 12/18 (or 19 if i can get a direct Non Stop)
Return dates: 12/28/13 at NIGHT (motzaei shabbos) or 12/29/or/12/30 I can return later also but I prefer these dates.
Class: Business Seat: 1
I have 50,000 starwood points
I have 105,000 amex points  in 1 acct and 110,000 in a 2nd acct (same last name on both accts)
I have 2 accts with American (also same last name) 1 acct has 102,000 and the 2nd acct has only 2000 miles.
Ultimate rewards 190,000 in one acct and 129,500 in a 2nd acct (again same last name)
united i have 47,000 in one acct and 58,000 in a 2nd acct
I cant seem to find anything. Do they open award seats as it gets closer?
any help is appreciated

Offline isthisvick

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
Thank you in advance :D
Round trip:
Any number of stops:
To: Rome
Departure dates: flexible May 22nd but no later then arrive to Rome May 24th
Return airports: Rome - LAX
Return dates: June 1st - June 3rd
Class: Any *perferably looking for 2 business class and 2 economy*
Seats: 4
So this is the breakdown for pts with our family - we are good with transferring points - so consider it as one pool.  I know its alot to work with but I am sure you will have fun working some magic... Thank You
Dad
AA- 100K
SPG - 35K
US Air 45K

Mom
AA- 152K
USAir- 40K
Avios - 102K
SPG - 35K
Amex MR - 150K

Bro
AA-65K