Topic Wiki

Please follow the following rules when posting in this thread. Failure to do so may result in you request being ignored or deleted.

(If you are looking to purchase a paid ticket, please post here)

FAQs:

Q: How can I use my credit card points to book a USA-TLV ticket?
A: Please read Dan's very helpful and informative guides found here and here

Great tool to see the mileage cost for a route http://www.awardhacker.com

Q: Do I have to pay a lot of money when using miles for a ticket?

A: Sometimes. For more information read this

Q: How do I find award availability?
A: For Star Alliance (United, AirCanada, Lufthansa, Swiss, and others) see this guide

For OneWorld (AmericanAirlines, BritishAirways, Iberia, Malev, and more) You can use BA's award search engine (you need to have a free BA account to access the engine). In addition, you can use Qantas' engine (free account needed as well), which will (to an extent) search Elal. As of this posting, the Elal business flights that show up are coach, and vice verse.

For Delta and AirFrance, use their respective sites. While not perfect, they are quite manageable for the casual searcher.

And of course, many of us here will take time out to help someone who is trying to learn.

Q: All this searching is making me crazy. Is there an easier way?
A: Yes, but it might cost you. Check out AwardNexus.com, KVStool.com, and expertflyer.com.

Q: I see AirCanada availability, but when I call AirCanada they say I can't use my United miles with them. Aren't they partners?
A: You can only use miles with the airline that issued them. Through that airline (in our case United) they can issue a ticket on a partner (ie AirCanada). Trying to call AirCanada with United miles, is like trying to use shekels in Mexico.

Q: I can't find availability on my dates. What should I do?
A: You should try to be as flexible as possible. Can you add a stop or 2? Can you be more flexible with your dates? The airports?
If all else fails, keep trying. Availability is constantly opening up.

Q: Can someone please help me find a ticket?
A: No! Find it yourself.  ;D ;D Just kidding. Please copy the following lines, delete the non bolded parts, and fill it out in your post.

One way/Round-trip:
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any:
To: All airports which you can arrive at. For multiple destinations, just keep adding this line
Departure dates: All possible dates that you can depart on. Please be as specific as possible.
Return airports:If different from 'To' line. Delete this line for One-way tickets
Return dates: Delete this line for One-way tickets
Class: First/Business/Coach/Any
Seats: Total number of people traveling over the age of 2
Alliance/Airline: What airline or alliance are you looking to fly with

IF you have any airline status or credit cards (Ie, United CC or status) that gives extended seat availability, please add that. Would be helpful to find you correct availability.

An additional note about using miles for direct flights from NYC-TLV

NYC-TLV is only served by 3 carriers non-stop, United, Delta, and El Al. Saver availability on Delta is non-existent. Saver availability on United is rare but sometimes available close-in. It is almost never available on or near holidays or holiday weekends, or around yomim tovim. Any award space that opens will be snatched up immediately so you have to constantly be checking if you hope to snag it if/when it opens. El AL awards are more readily available but prohibitively expensive using Matmid points (El Al's frequent flyer program) but may be able to be booked using Quantas points (transfers from Citi & Amex) at a much more reasonable rate.

This leaves the following options if no saver availability:

The Chase travel portal will let you use Ultimate Rewards, or a combination or UR and cash to book flights. If you have a Sapphire Reserve or a Sapphire Preferred, the redemption rate will be 1.5 cents per point or 1.25 cents per point respectively, instead of the regular 1 cent per point without them. (A, Ink cash or Ink Preferred will also give you the 1.25 cpp redemption rate.)

The Amex travel portal will let you redeem points at 1 cent per point towards the cost of air travel. If you have a grandfathered Business Platinum card, you will get 50% of the points you redeem back around a month after you book the ticket. If you have a non-grandfathered card, you will get 35% of your points back. (This is only available when redeeming points for tickets on your selected American carrier in economy class or on any airline in business or first class.)

The Citi travel portal also lets you redeem points at 1 cent per point towards travel and seems to have better pricing on El Al in business class.

Alternatively, you can sell your points (not here on DDF) and use the cash to buy regular tickets. This is usually the best option for people without either a Chase Sapphire Reserve or grandfathered Business Platinum who are flying economy.

Those are your only options for nonstop travel. For options with a stopover and more information in general, see https://www.dansdeals.com/points-travel/milespoints/the-ultimate-israel-mileage-award-chart/

This keeps on getting asked over and over. Besides Dan's comprehensive list of how to get to, or from, TLV here is a short list of options for travel to or from NYC in Y:
Lowest point per RT is FB 50K (less with promo, but YQ of ~$500 unless you can find unicorn DL availability), AA 80k (AA metal for transatlantic), AC 80k (LX or LO for low YQ) and UA 85k. Half that for OW.

Please add any other information to this wiki that you feel might be useful.

Author Topic: Need help finding a ticket? Post here! Award ticket edition (Master thread)  (Read 1857128 times)

Offline slippy

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
meir613 - and what can be done about it? will airline return ticket / points?

Offline MEIR613

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
meir613 - and what can be done about it? will airline return ticket / points?
If you sold them??

It's clearly against T&Cs to sell miles and they have full right to close your account and cancel the tickets.

Offline slippy

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
meir - so all these places advertsing that they buy miles and offer immdt pmt, why arent they concerned that after booking the award ticket, it will be cancelled by airline looking out for just such activity?

Offline smart brit

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Because they are still selling tickets and most times the airlines won't catch on
But the risk is there

Offline delta

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
Trying to help a member of my community book tickets to Isreal all help will be appreciated

Round trip:
Non-stop/Maximum stops/Any: 1 stop
To:tlv
Departure dates: Aug 11/12/13
Return dates:Aug 18/19
Class: First/Business
Seats: 2
Alliance/Airline: i have UR points from chase

What is the best business/first class to fly to Israel from the states (using ur points)?

Thanking you in advance for any help.

Offline NWEISS

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, AA Platinum for Life, Hilton Gold
Round trip: TLV to ORD (chicago)
Maximum stops:1 dont care where it is and will stop overnight. I want to be back in Israel for Shabbat
To: Chicago
Departure dates: Aug 11-12, 2013
Return dates: 8/14 0r 15
Class: First/Business
Seats:1
Alliance/Airline: any -I have miles on Chase and AMEX that can go to many airlines as well as miles on  AA, and BA. I also have starwood points but that takes a few weeks so it may not help. i prefer not to pay hefty fuel surcharges
Thanks
you can PM me when you have something i have a hard time finding the answers in the threads :-\

Offline snagger

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
one way; non stop/one stop; fco to nyc or from any city in italy.. Departure date july 30  preferably economy but if not than business;2 seats; any airline/alliance thx alot!

Offline itsyehuda

• View Profile
What is the best way to get from NYC - TLV in business class this Saturday night (June 15)?

2 travellers. 1 Stop is ok but needs to be short enough layover to make it worthwhile as opposed to waiting for a flight on sunday morning.

The goal is to get to Israel as early as possible on Sunday, while booking a Business or First Class  award seat.

Can American book the El-Al non-stop in Business? Need some ideas.

Thanks
I remember when a coke was a nickel, and you could buy VRs in OD.

Offline MEIR613

• View Profile
What is the best way to get from NYC - TLV in business class this Saturday night (June 15)?

2 travellers. 1 Stop is ok but needs to be short enough layover to make it worthwhile as opposed to waiting for a flight on sunday morning.

The goal is to get to Israel as early as possible on Sunday, while booking a Business or First Class  award seat.

Thanks
I'll help you out give me a few.

Offline smart brit

• View Profile

Thanks
yes subject to availability.
Did you check united? Delta?
Other options to fly motzei Shabbath would be ba on the last flight to London or air France on the last flight

Offline itsyehuda

• View Profile
yes subject to availability.
Did you check united? Delta?
Other options to fly motzei Shabbath would be ba on the last flight to London or air France on the last flight

I saw AF9 but it doesn't have a sky team flight out of CDG to connect to until late Sunday night.

BA might work, is the only way to book it with one award currency through AA ?

Offline MEIR613

• View Profile
I saw AF9 but it doesn't have a sky team flight out of CDG to connect to until late Sunday night.

BA might work, is the only way to book it with one award currency through AA ?
AF has nothing, unless you want to shell out 150k each.

Besides the fact that BA has massive YQ, there are no connecting flights that will get you there by the morning.

Your best option is to wait till last minute Friday afternoon or the Second after Shabbos and see if the 10:45 on UA opens up.

It's not guaranteed, but it's probably your best bet getting their in J without shelling a lot of $$.

Offline smart brit

• View Profile
There is no way he arrives there morning on any connecting flights.
Valid point by the great meir613 to wait if possible on ua to open up last minute it's a strategy that almost always works.
On ba you could book part with ba and part with aa but it wouldn't pay off as the yq is still there

Offline itsyehuda

• View Profile

There is no way he arrives there morning on any connecting flights.
Valid point by the great meir613 to wait if possible on ua to open up last minute it's a strategy that almost always works.
On ba you could book part with ba and part with aa but it wouldn't pay off as the yq is still there

Thanks for the suggestions.

I want them to get there at least before Monday.

Ideal would be the non stop.

Making UA flight is a stretch, but doable. Is it likely that two seats in saver business would open?

I think they wouldn't mind going on Air France if they could arrive by Sunday Evening. 150 MRs (which they have) is easier than buying another currency.

I think they'd rather pay a little more than have so much uncertainty in the itinerary.

Offline itsyehuda

• View Profile

AF has nothing, unless you want to shell out 150k each.

Besides the fact that BA has massive YQ, there are no connecting flights that will get you there by the morning.

Your best option is to wait till last minute Friday afternoon or the Second after Shabbos and see if the 10:45 on UA opens up.

It's not guaranteed, but it's probably your best bet getting their in J without shelling a lot of $$.

Can AirFrance book them one way on the delta non stop? Delta wants 255,000 per passenger round trip .

The DL 268 flight would be nice.

Offline smart brit

• View Profile
You have a klm flight leaving 10:55pm with a 7hr stopover in ams for 75k in j
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 10:09:04 PM by smart brit »

Offline MEIR613

• View Profile
Can AirFrance book them one way on the delta non stop?
No

Delta wants 255,000 per passenger round trip .

The DL 268 flight would be nice.
They going one way or round trip?

I wouldn't rely on UA, since it's the summer things are pretty tight.

I did however set an alert for you.

Maybe sell MR buy DL.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 10:21:27 PM by MEIR613 »

Offline itsyehuda

• View Profile

No

They going one way or round trip?

I wouldn't rely on UA, since it's the summer things are pretty tight.

I did however set an alert for you.

Maybe sell MR buy DL.

They want to come back Wednesday the 19th.

Offline WhyAich

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
as of now delta and united are both showing 0 seats in J avail, even for paid tickets.

I'm not into the mileage but know a bit about flight times and TK has a flight 11:55 pm from JFK on MS, not sure if bookable with miles though,  it also aint that crazy of a price. $2750 for the one way, and RT for $4499
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 12:39:48 AM by WhyAich »
For great Airfare deals - PLEASE contact me via PM or email: whyaich@gmail.com

Offline itsyehuda

• View Profile
as of now delta and united are both showing 0 seats in J avail, even for paid tickets.

I'm not into the mileage but know a bit about flight times and TK has a flight 11:55 pm from JFK on MS, not sure if bookable with miles though,  it also aint that crazy of a price. $2750 for the one way, and RT for $4499

I saw the TK flight, got excited for a bit. However - they have ability to fly El Al business for $5400 round trip in business non stop. The stopover has to impart significant savings to be worthwhile.