Author Topic: Origins Of Chassidus (The Good the Bad and the Ugly) And Is there A bad Jew?  (Read 43564 times)

Offline gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
okay so what is your answer to that?
evidently there's an ענין ע"פ קבלה to wear white on shabbos. while the misnagdim felt that yiddishkeit is the province of the elite few (which their own גזרה left an exception for), the chassidim found yiddishkeit to be מורשה קהלת יעקב.
(I speak only from the paragraph cited)

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
evidently there's an ענין ע"פ קבלה to wear white on shabbos. while the misnagdim felt that yiddishkeit is the province of the elite few (which their own גזרה left an exception for), the chassidim found yiddishkeit to be מורשה קהלת יעקב.
(I speak only form the paragraph cited)
So what changed? I thought chassidus is still the same as it was then. Or actually no one was willing to actually go on the record saying that clearly black on white. They only felt that I should show something which did change, but even though I asked a few times if they felt that chassidus is the same now as it was then everyone ignored that even though they were trying to imply that it is.

Well, here is a difference between chassidus now and then.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
So what changed? I thought chassidus is still the same as it was then. Or actually no one was willing to actually go on the record saying that clearly black on white. They only felt that I should show something which did change, but even though I asked a few times if they felt that chassidus is the same now as it was then everyone ignored that even though they were trying to imply that it is.

and has no connection to any of the hisnagdus.
the wearing of white continued for a few generations after the gr"a, and (at least in chabad) ended around the same as the shtreimel (for chassidim). a combination between ignoring חיצוניות and a dire poverty where you were lucky to have clothes in one piece at all...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 01:19:41 PM by gozalim »

Offline aygart

• View Profile
and has no connection to any of the hisnagdus.
the wearing of white continued for a few generations after the gr"a, and (at least in chabad) ended around the same as the shtreimel (for chassidim). a combination between ignoring חיצוניות and a dire poverty where you were lucky to have clothes in one piece at all...
How do you know?

Offline gozalim

• View Profile

Don't some chassidim still where white shabbos? תו"א?

Offline aygart

• View Profile
Don't some chassidim still where white shabbos? תו"א?
No they wear gold on shabbos. Either way, what difference does that make. There are still some chassidim dancing wildly in the streets too.

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
Where was there an assertion that wearing white was against halachah? and if there's nothing wrong with it other than diluting elitism, why should chassidim have been נתפעל? moreover, on the general issue, the chassidim have maintained their position on the universality of yiddishkeit, with a vengeance. so it'll be a hard sell that this one thing "chassidim switched to maintaining halacha, thanks to the opposition"

Really?!

Offline aygart

• View Profile
Where was there an assertion that wearing white was against halachah? and if there's nothing wrong with it other than diluting elitism, why should chassidim have been נתפעל? moreover, on the general issue, the chassidim have maintained their position on the universality of yiddishkeit, with a vengeance. so it'll be a hard sell that this one thing "chassidim switched to maintaining halacha, thanks to the opposition"

Really?!
NO THEY HAVE NOT. The whole idea of dynasties of rebbes is the opposite of that.

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
NO THEY HAVE NOT. The whole idea of dynasties of rebbes is the opposite of that.
yet they where doing that from day one, not in response to opposition. that was actually part of the opposition.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
yet they where doing that from day one, not in response to opposition. that was actually part of the opposition.
Really? How many of the talmidim of the Besht  have grandchildren which are dynasties?

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
Really? How many of the talmidim of the Besht  have grandchildren which are dynasties?
so let me get this straight: the institution of a rebbe, which the misnagdim opposed, was turned into a hereditary dynasty, in respect for the misnagdic demand for elitism?

(and this was the positive effect of the hisnagdus?)

Offline aygart

• View Profile
so let me get this straight: the institution of a rebbe, which the misnagdim opposed, was turned into a hereditary dynasty, in respect for the misnagdic demand for elitism?

(and this was the positive effect of the hisnagdus?)
The point is that there HAVE been changes. Now YOU answer. Are you off the opinion that chassidus did not change over the last 250 years. You guys need to stop vacillating bank and forth. Yes or no?

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
We can disagree on the theology of צמצום לאו כפשוטו, we can disagree on priorities of תלמוד תורה, תפלה, שמחה, אהבת ישראל, וכו but the myth that the opposition saved chassidus from itself is one of the "big lie"s that has no basis in reality.

point to whatever changes you like, non of it is thanks to the חרמים ורדיפות which remain best left in history.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 02:11:56 PM by gozalim »

Offline aygart

• View Profile
We can disagree on the theology of צמצום לאו כפשוטו, we can disagree on priorities of תלמוד תורה, תפלה, שמחה, אהבת ישראל, וכו but the myth that the opposition saved chassidus from itself is one of the "big lie"s that has no basis in reality.

point to whatever changes you like, non of it is thanks to the חרמים ורדיפות which remain best left in history.
still refusing to answer.

Offline Boruch999

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile

How can that be proven wrong?  Or right, for that matter?  Do you have access to an alternate universe where there was no opposition and chassidus is the same as it is today in this universe?  It also can not be proven or dis-proven whether or not chassidus has shaped misnagdus with out the aid of an alternate universe.  However it can be said that they were both very likely affected by each other.

Offline aygart

• View Profile

Says the one who is naive enough to believe that the vociferous opposition had no effect at all on them.

Online ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
The point is that there HAVE been changes. Now YOU answer. Are you off the opinion that chassidus did not change over the last 250 years. You guys need to stop vacillating bank and forth. Yes or no?
Has תורת החסידות changed?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline aygart

• View Profile
Has תורת החסידות changed?
Now you are limiting the conversation very significantly to an aspect I am unable to discuss. Why are you limiting it like that?

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
Someone needs to make a wiki, with a lot of circles in it.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline chinagel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Someone needs to make a wiki, with a lot of circles in it.
the circles in @aygart 's triangle or vice versa?