Author Topic: Help Saving $$ on This Auto Deal (Assigning Lease/Insurance/Re-Register)  (Read 646 times)

Offline GTR

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
I'm trying to figure out this situation and it occurred to me that the fine folks of DDF will surely know the answer to my dilemma (or will at least have opinions.. strong ones).  So here goes:

My sister and husband are leaving the country for 5 months starting August 1st.  Unfortunately, they have a recently obtained leased car (Ford).  Fortunately (perhaps) my wife and I were just about to buy a car.   The question becomes how we achieve this "borrow" completely legally and above board at the lowest possible cost. 

Things we cannot do:

List my wife or myself as a household driver - we do not live with my sister, if we get kill a person in the next 5mo. i'd prefer not to be bankrupt.
Assume we cannot assign the lease (though I'm looking more into this) - it's very likely that this will be cost prohibitive for such a short period of time  if it's even allowed under the terms of my sister's lease.

So I guess the questions/options are:
Can my sister legally re-register her car at my house so that we can properly be included as household drivers? I know that the household driver part of that equation works but can you register your car at another residence that it will be parked at nightly?

Can you add a non-household driver to insurance policy, what companies allow this?

???

Suggestions? Does anyone here have experience with this?

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
I'm trying to figure out this situation and it occurred to me that the fine folks of DDF will surely know the answer to my dilemma (or will at least have opinions.. strong ones).  So here goes:

My sister and husband are leaving the country for 5 months starting August 1st.  Unfortunately, they have a recently obtained leased car (Ford).  Fortunately (perhaps) my wife and I were just about to buy a car.   The question becomes how we achieve this "borrow" completely legally and above board at the lowest possible cost. 

Things we cannot do:

List my wife or myself as a household driver - we do not live with my sister, if we get kill a person in the next 5mo. i'd prefer not to be bankrupt.
Assume we cannot assign the lease (though I'm looking more into this) - it's very likely that this will be cost prohibitive for such a short period of time  if it's even allowed under the terms of my sister's lease.

So I guess the questions/options are:
Can my sister legally re-register her car at my house so that we can properly be included as household drivers? I know that the household driver part of that equation works but can you register your car at another residence that it will be parked at nightly?

Can you add a non-household driver to insurance policy, what companies allow this?

???

Suggestions? Does anyone here have experience with this?
I am confused. Your sister is going out of the country with your husband for 5 months and the car is your concern? But then you start talking about your wife. Hmmmm.

You may be best off discussing this with an insurance agent.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline username

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
sister and HER husband, I am guessing.
^^^