Author Topic: Hertz: Returned car without the key...  (Read 1930 times)

Offline tmendy226

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Hertz PC, Flying Blue petroleum, SPG Gold, National Executive, Hilton Gold
Hertz: Returned car without the key...
« on: June 20, 2017, 02:47:20 PM »
So... about two weeks ago I was rushing for a flight and long story short my friend returned a car to Hertz with the key on me on the plane... So they charged 250$ but said that if the key will be returned they'll refund it.

I shipped it back and it got there a few days ago but I didn't receive anything.

After trying to call the location several times without anyone picking up I called hertz customer service and they said that if I didn't return the key with the car I'm supposed to get charged and shipping it back won't help for anything. I told her what the agent there told my friend but she said that since there's nothing written she can't do anything for me.

Anyone ever had a similar experience? what can I do?

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: Hertz: Returned car without the key...
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 02:54:52 PM »
I hope you sent it back with trackable mailing.

Keep trying to get in touch with location. Send certified mailing if necessary.

Then, after all else fails, dispute charge.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Abet rich

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz PC, National EE
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 03:08:37 PM »
So... about two weeks ago I was rushing for a flight and long story short my friend returned a car to Hertz with the key on me on the plane... So they charged 250$ but said that if the key will be returned they'll refund it.

I shipped it back and it got there a few days ago but I didn't receive anything.

After trying to call the location several times without anyone picking up I called hertz customer service and they said that if I didn't return the key with the car I'm supposed to get charged and shipping it back won't help for anything. I told her what the agent there told my friend but she said that since there's nothing written she can't do anything for me.

Anyone ever had a similar experience? what can I do?
Their refunds usually take about 7-10 days to post so still a chance it will happen on its own but your best bet is to get in touch with the location and make sure it goes through.
Contact me at abereich19@gmail.com for all help and info.

Offline tmendy226

• View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Hertz PC, Flying Blue petroleum, SPG Gold, National Executive, Hilton Gold
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 03:18:00 PM »
I hope you sent it back with trackable mailing.

Keep trying to get in touch with location. Send certified mailing if necessary.

Yes I sent with UPS and it got there. Called the locations 10's of times but no one picked up...

Offline elya

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 03:19:33 PM »
Easiest way to get placed on the DNR list.

Offline MeirS

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 03:22:03 PM »
Yes I sent with UPS and it got there. Called the locations 10's of times but no one picked up...
Ask Hertz customer service to connect you to the branch.

Offline yitrap

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 03:22:05 PM »
+1

Offline yitrap

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 03:22:18 PM »
Call corporate

Offline lybbtthl

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Barely anything these days...
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2017, 09:37:23 AM »

exactly, I was double billed by Hertz Australia for a fully prepaid rental, they added toll charges which were never offered or advised anywhere, then double charged the admin recovery fee and location fee, after numerous attempts and emailing and calling CS they advised me the charges were correct and valid (no explanations, just that the charges remain) I disputed the charge, and a few months later found myself on the DNR. I opened a BBB case against them which got me nowhere, BBB closed it without resolving it... if anyone has any ideas, LMK

Offline tmendy226

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2017, 09:15:05 PM »
exactly, I was double billed by Hertz Australia for a fully prepaid rental, they added toll charges which were never offered or advised anywhere, then double charged the admin recovery fee and location fee, after numerous attempts and emailing and calling CS they advised me the charges were correct and valid (no explanations, just that the charges remain) I disputed the charge, and a few months later found myself on the DNR. I opened a BBB case against them which got me nowhere, BBB closed it without resolving it... if anyone has any ideas, LMK

Get a new license number....

Offline chff

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2017, 09:30:39 PM »
I returned a brand new car to National LAX and didn't give back the key. When I got to TSA I realised that I have the key with me. I ran back to the terminal door and went to a shuttle driver who right away asked me if I have the keys... She told me you won't be charged. I then saw that I missed 5 calls from the branch as well, but they confirmed that once the driver had it I won't be charged. I then got home and saw I took along the registration as well.... Which I mailed back with registered mail and BH they got it and I wasn't charged anything extra

Offline MeirS

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2017, 10:16:05 PM »
I returned a brand new car to National LAX and didn't give back the key. When I got to TSA I realised that I have the key with me. I ran back to the terminal door and went to a shuttle driver who right away asked me if I have the keys... She told me you won't be charged. I then saw that I missed 5 calls from the branch as well, but they confirmed that once the driver had it I won't be charged. I then got home and saw I took along the registration as well.... Which I mailed back with registered mail and BH they got it and I wasn't charged anything extra
Why did you have the registration with you?

Offline chff

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2017, 10:17:01 PM »
Why did you have the registration with you?
When I left the car I grabbed my rental agreement which I keep in the clove and some other papers I stuffed in there and left...