Author Topic: Private Island Paradise: Something Fishy's Anniversary Adventure  (Read 118957 times)

Offline username

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
Re: Private Island Paradise: Something Fishy's Anniversary Adventure
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2017, 12:29:25 PM »
^^^

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2017, 12:32:56 PM »
almost. You need to fix the next word to 'got'

Wow, I'm on a roll today apparently. Thanks.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline davidmal

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 239
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2017, 12:35:28 PM »
Wow so much to say here. below comments are not to disrespect you or your trip but my own feelings on recommending (or Warning) this trip to others.
also great photos so far I really liked the Semi Submerged one!

1. Roatan, wow. If not for the private island I would not see the draw. Snorkeling can be found in Belize or Cozumel that equals or bests Roatan.
Roatan is a Dirty 3rd world country but that goes hand in hand with spending less. Safety is a big concern in some parts.
2. Private Island, while I love the idea of privacy. I love the idea of having service when I'm on a trip.
My Idea of a Vacation is not having to deal with some things like cleaning the bathroom or making my bed. If your up for those things GO FOR IT!!!

This trip while insanely cool only few members can pull it off Married. If you do have the ability to pull this off
1. Be prepared to bring everything you might need from a tooth brush to pam for a pan or whatever you would need for your day to day activities.
2. If you want to do a private island but don't want to give up service you can charter a boat to drop you off and pick you up for the day at a Remote Island some can be had for Free.
we did a remote Island for the day then headed back. (Same story bring EVERYTHING you might need for the day.)

Either way Have Fun & Post a TR!

-DMC
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it ~Ferris Bueller"

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2017, 12:44:06 PM »
Wow so much to say here. below comments are not to disrespect you or your trip but my own feelings on recommending (or Warning) this trip to others.

1. Roatan, wow. If not for the private island I would not see the draw. Snorkeling can be found in Belize or Cozumel that equals or bests Roatan.
Roatan is a Dirty 3rd world country but that goes hand in hand with spending less. Safety is a big concern in some parts.
2. Private Island, while I love the idea of privacy. I love the idea of having service when I'm on a trip.
My Idea of a Vacation is not having to deal with some things like cleaning the bathroom or making my bed. If your up for those things GO FOR IT!!!

This trip while insanely cool only few members can pull it off Married. If you do have the ability to pull this off
1. Be prepared to bring everything you might need from a tooth brush to pam for a pan or whatever you would need for your day to day activities.
2. If you want to do a private island but don't want to give up service you can charter a boat to drop you off and pick you up for the day at a Remote Island some can be had for Free.
we did a remote Island for the day then headed back. (Same story bring EVERYTHING you might need for the day.)

You be crazy. The draw of your own island for days is amazing.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Online skyguy918

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2017, 12:46:06 PM »
Who apparently have a couple of yeshivisha guys for sale:

Please tell me this is tongue in cheek, and you know who that is.
Since I got no response, I'll just let you know that it's the Blues Brothers - SNL cast members Belushi and Akroyd.

Offline davidmal

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2017, 12:47:14 PM »
You be crazy. The draw of your own island for days is amazing.
I did it for a day and it was hard.

Imagine you forgot ANYTHING
your like shoot now what¿

maybe if you had a uber boat or Google now delivering things for you as your day continued

You never realize how Needy you are intill you can't get something.

I think it's a GREAT TRIP
just for the people who can handle it.
-DMC
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it ~Ferris Bueller"

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2017, 12:49:50 PM »

maybe if you had a uber boat or Google now delivering things for you as your day continued

You sound like such a NY'er :P

What if there aren't 12 kosher restaurants within 2 blocks?

Part of the whole romantic idea is it's just the 2 of you and if you forgot something it's just you two so who cares you make do. (Not to mention with SF's planning skills it's unlikely they forgot anything.)
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline mgarfin

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2017, 12:50:57 PM »

Can you elaborate on what part of the world you found a drop island for the day?

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2017, 12:53:03 PM »
legroom was absolutely horrible. Leave it to United to have a business product that's less comfortable than coach... In any case, the seats were wide, the flight was short, and we survived .

So why didn't you just sit sideways?

Offline davidmal

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2017, 12:55:13 PM »
Can you elaborate on what part of the world you found a drop island for the day?
Roatan

but It was also available near the Bahamas

and also St Thomas
st John

I don't recall if it was available in other areas like off the cost of DR or Aruba
-DMC

Offline davidmal

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2017, 12:56:50 PM »

Part of the whole romantic idea is it's just the 2 of you and if you forgot something it's just you two so who cares you make do. (Not to mention with SF's planning skills it's unlikely they forgot anything.)
Again I wasn't commenting on My desire to go or SF's Trip but rather trying to say it's not for everyone.
While I'm ok without Kosher Restaurants. I might not be ok without AC. Or with AC and it Dies and no one to call.
-DMC

Offline as2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2017, 01:02:51 PM »

I'm going to respectfully disagree here.
Why is it so hard to pull off while married? I'm married and can easily make this work.
Many destinations require you to bring with, many of the basics you will need. As SF said, there was a supermarket on the main island, and if its a big deal I'm sure you can get basics. I think this planning is a bit more extensive than the typical trip, but can  definitely be done if you put time into planning the details.
Some of the major pros here are, the flights, and the cost. This appealed to me being that I am newer to the game, and may not be able to hit the Maldives or Bora Bora just yet, but this taste of the tropics is within reach and shall hold me off until then.
Just my opinion...
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2017, 01:04:56 PM »

1. Roatan is split into two parts, the touristy part and the third-world country part. No reason for a tourist to venture into the other half of the island, and as such he will be as safe as in any other Caribbean destination. And you are wrong about the snorkeling, Roatan's waters are in infinitely better shape than Belize and Cozumel et al due to having a tiny fraction of the tourists. Roatan (and Utila) is also the best place in the world to swim with whale sharks in season; no where else are they as predictable and numerous.

Roatan is also the cheapest place int he world to get PADI certified; it could be done for around $400 including room and board. Beat that.

2. Service vs. privacy is a never-ending debate. I would stay in an airbnb over a fancy hotel any day of the week, so I clearly value privacy more. If you insist on room service, a private island shouldn't even be on your radar so that's a moot point.

1. Yes, you need to make a list of your needs and pack accordingly. Whoda thunk?

Regardless, anything we would've forgotten or wanted was a phone call away. The island's owners are at your beck and call and will deliver anything you need by boat within an hour or so.

2. Can't compare sitting on a quiet beach for a few hours to having your own island day after day after day. It's just two completely different things. Mind you you don't even need an island for what you did, we've had "private beaches" in Hawaii multiple times.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 09:18:18 PM by Something Fishy »

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2017, 01:06:15 PM »

Exactly.

And we didn't forget anything. But like I said, if you did, it can be brought over quickly.

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2017, 01:09:55 PM »
I'm going to respectfully disagree here.
Why is it so hard to pull off while married? I'm married and can easily make this work.
Many destinations require you to bring with, many of the basics you will need. As SF said, there was a supermarket on the main island, and if its a big deal I'm sure you can get basics. I think this planning is a bit more extensive than the typical trip, but can  definitely be done if you put time into planning the details.
Some of the major pros here are, the flights, and the cost. This appealed to me being that I am newer to the game, and may not be able to hit the Maldives or Bora Bora just yet, but this taste of the tropics is within reach and shall hold me off until then.
Just my opinion...

Honestly I don't think this would be very interesting if you weren't married. The point of this is the solitude, the relaxation, the spending quality time with each other and no one else.

Being far closer and cheaper that MLE and BOB is indeed a huge plus. Of course they aren't the same thing, but definitely the same "genre".

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2017, 01:15:46 PM »
1. Roatan, wow. If not for the private island I would not see the draw.

I forgot to respond to this bit.

If I you're not going in whale shark season, or to get PADI certified (which I plan on doing one day there), I don't know if I would recommend Roatan, if for no reason other than there may be some better options (places with different types of non-water activities, for example).

At the end of the day I didn't go to Roatan because I was "drawn to it". I went because it was a convenient place to stay the night.

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2017, 01:18:17 PM »
Honestly I don't think this would be very interesting if you weren't married. The point of this is the solitude, the relaxation, the spending quality time with each other and no one else.

Being far closer and cheaper that MLE and BOB is indeed a huge plus. Of course they aren't the same thing, but definitely the same "genre".
Exactly my thoughts. Although at this price, I can see a group of guys getting little cay for a shabbos.

Offline davidmal

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2017, 01:18:29 PM »
1. Roatan is split into two parts, the touristy part and the third-world country part. No reason for a tourist to venture into the other half of the island, and as such he will be as safe as in any other Caribbean destination. And you are wrong about the snorkeling, Roatan's waters are in infinitely better shape than Belize and Cozumel et al due to having a tiny fraction of the tourists. Roatan (and Utila) is also the best place in the world to swim with whale sharks in season; no where else are they as predictable and numerous.

Roatan is also the cheapest place int he world to get PADI certified; it could be done for around #400 including room and board. Beat that.

2. Service vs. privacy is a never-ending debate. I would stay in an airbnb over a fancy hotel any day of the week, so I clearly value privacy more. If you insist on room service a private island shouldn't even be on your radar so that's a moot point.
I can argue but that's not my point. I was bringing out awareness which was done. sorry if I ruffled your feathers.
The island's owners are at your beck and call and will deliver anything you need by boat within an hour or so.
ok thats a game changer.
2. Can't compare sitting on a quiet beach for a few hours to having your own island day after day after day. It's just two completely different things. Mind you you don't even need an island for what you did, we've had "private beaches" in Hawaii multiple times.
I don't think the sleeping on a private island is the thought but rather the part that your awake Walking the island and knowing your the only 2 on the whole whole island (600 feet Diameter?)
-DMC

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2017, 01:21:01 PM »

I don't think the sleeping on a private island is the thought but rather the part that your awake Walking the island and knowing your the only 2 on the whole whole island (600 feet Diameter?)

It's about waking up on the island. And spending a day somewhere often is nothing like spending the nights, especially with these types of destinations

Offline davidmal

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 07, 2017, 01:22:30 PM »
I guess we know where your next trip is heading to.
-DMC