Author Topic: Money to Invest  (Read 12674 times)

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
Re: Money to Invest
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2017, 04:53:12 PM »
The chapters about this are spread around DDF.
I'll take the executive summary.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2017, 05:04:33 PM »
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2017, 05:12:03 PM »
Am not really looking to invest in stocks, mutual funds, life insurance etc. Am looking for a high risk investment, such as a small real estate deal, or even if someone's starting a business and needs a little cash to help him get off the ground. Things of that nature..
I, of course, do not know your full financial situation, but based on what you wrote here I would still say that starting a plan for retirement is likely to be the smartest thing to do with the money. Having the security which that money can give over the long term if invested wisely is likely to be more beneficial than placing it in a risky investment which will in all likelihood eventually, after rolling it into enough risky investments, end up disappearing. Using it to start yourself on a long term plan can be priceless.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2017, 05:20:09 PM »
I, of course, do not know your full financial situation, but based on what you wrote here I would still say that starting a plan for retirement is likely to be the smartest thing to do with the money. Having the security which that money can give over the long term if invested wisely is likely to be more beneficial than placing it in a risky investment which will in all likelihood eventually, after rolling it into enough risky investments, end up disappearing. Using it to start yourself on a long term plan can be priceless.
Highly recommended book along these lines: https://smile.amazon.com/Paychecks-Playchecks-Retirement-Solutions-Life/dp/098421738X?tag=cl03f-20 (full disclosure - I've never read the book, but I have met the author a couple of times, IINM I might even have an autographed copy of the book, listened to him, and he is very insightful and has some great ideas).
-- Dan

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2017, 05:25:24 PM »
My bad, probably closer to 10%? Can't find the exact number. In any event if S&P isn't diversified enough for you, how do you recommend being more diversified? Whatever your answer is, there's probably a low fee index fund for that.
Diversification amongst asset classes. PORTFOLIO REBALANCING (which helps avoid the kind of risk currently presented by the FAANGs).
You can do this by investing in index funds such as various mid and small cap indices. It will then be important to be continuously rebalance.

There are excellent active managers out there. I know many will point to the fact that many active managers underperform the indexes, but while that might be true in a bull market, that won't last forever.
Another way of putting this is that the purpose of a manger is not only to realize higher gains but to manage the risk of the portfolio.

Offline hachover

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2017, 05:32:10 PM »
There are excellent active managers out there. I know many will point to the fact that many active managers underperform the indexes, but while that might be true in a bull market, that won't last forever.

The trend is against active managers, as you know, and it's because of the cost. I personally agree that in the long-term active management is worthwhile, but that's something people should decide for themselves. The percentage of passively managed funds is growing rapidly to a very uncomfortable level.
I'm an optimist; but only because life isn't going to give me any other good choices.

Offline hachover

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2017, 05:32:44 PM »
Another way of putting this is that the purpose of a manger is not only to realize higher gains but to manage the risk of the portfolio.

You left out the most important characteristic - due diligence
I'm an optimist; but only because life isn't going to give me any other good choices.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2017, 05:51:28 PM »
You can do this by investing in index funds such as various mid and small cap indices.
There are more asset classes than just mid- and small-cap indices. One can go high level - such as commodities - to enumerate asset classes, or go granular - grains/industrial metals/precious metals/etc. etc.

It will then be important to be continuously rebalance.
That's easier said than done. While technically anyone can create a spreadsheet to show them how to rebalance, or maybe even when to rebalance, I've yet to see people that do this on their own on a systematic basis. There are programs out there that will offer quarterly, semi-annual, or annual rebalancing, while balanced mutual funds will generally not go by timing, but rather allow assets to fluctuate within bands, and rebalance when out of band. It's important to find a manager that actually follows what they say they will do.
-- Dan

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2017, 05:54:13 PM »
agreed

Offline avremie

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2017, 06:17:15 PM »
what are the community's thoughts on the future of FAANG?

Offline ADG

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2017, 07:29:46 PM »
Diversification amongst asset classes. PORTFOLIO REBALANCING (which helps avoid the kind of risk currently presented by the FAANGs).

Thats an interesting way of putting things being that it is the money managers who's returns never outlast the market.

In regard to DCA, are you familiar with benjamin Graham (the father of value investing ), Jayson Zweig and the book- The Intelligent Investor?

Offline good sam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2017, 12:04:16 AM »
Did not realize how many financial experts we have here. Lucky us!
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline hachover

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2017, 11:22:19 AM »

People who write "u" instead of "you" save up a lot of time and become time experts. People who get good deals all the time save a lot of money and become investment experts.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2017, 11:33:36 AM »
I find that DDF has many who are experts in all sorts of fields. DDF attracts people who think through how to get around roadblocks and find loopholes and workarounds. Such people are also likely to do the same in other aspects of their professional and personal lives. This will make their opinions about these topics valuable as well.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2017, 01:30:42 PM »
Start here
I asked for the summary, not the unedited draft.
-- Dan

Offline Sport

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2017, 02:04:27 PM »
I find that DDF has many who are experts in all sorts of fields. DDF attracts people who think through how to get around roadblocks and find loopholes and workarounds. Such people are also likely to do the same in other aspects of their professional and personal lives. This will make their opinions about these topics valuable as well.
+1,
there are also lawers, doctors accountants and other professionals on here who have given advice, why wouldnt there be financial advisers too?

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2017, 03:36:49 PM »
+1,
there are also lawers, doctors accountants and other professionals on here who have given advice, why wouldnt there be financial advisers too?
If there are any, they would probably be barred by their compliance department (or FINRA, or whatever agency oversees them) from posting specific advice here.
-- Dan

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2017, 04:22:42 PM »

+1,
I'm sure you're both correct, just wondering if all those giving advice are actually experts.

Assuming they are, lucky us!
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2017, 04:29:49 PM »
+1,
Right, but are there?

How many people that have commented in this thread are actual investment/financial planning professionals of any sort?

ETA:
I'm sure you're both correct, just wondering if all those giving advice are actually experts.

Not sure how I missed that, it was posted before I started my reply.

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2017, 04:34:58 PM »

They seem pretty knowledgeable to me, definitly provide a good starting point for someone asking on a forum. As with  all advice on forums, you still got to do your own research but at least it provides some context or focus.