Author Topic: Please (Make and) Post your Kiddush Hashem or Honesty Story  (Read 47164 times)

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
Re: Please (Make and) Post your Kiddush Hashem or Honesty Story
« Reply #160 on: May 03, 2023, 08:54:01 PM »
Leaves out the asterisk that we only donate to other yidden
I'm sure that many non-Jewish donors also only donate to those within their circles. Still we have a whopping higher percentage.

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 03, 2023, 09:34:13 PM »
I'm sure that many non-Jewish donors also only donate to those within their circles. Still we have a whopping higher percentage.
It's commentary on how Jews care about other Jews, even strangers, and are willing to donate to them (and only them) their organs. It's a very misleading stat.

It's a beautiful thing, but I'm not sure why this should be publicized. To me it seems like something that could be spun negatively and cause antisemitism.

Offline imayid2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 03, 2023, 10:41:39 PM »
Keep in mind though that it benefits everyone as those organs would have to have come from alternative sources which can used for others.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Euclid

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: May 03, 2023, 11:08:29 PM »
Keep in mind though that it benefits everyone as those organs would have to have come from alternative sources which can used for others.
Good point.

Online Sammy82

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 03, 2023, 11:18:12 PM »
Not always true. Everybody has to ask their own sheila. Each circumstance is different.

Online Sammy82

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 03, 2023, 11:24:17 PM »
Speaking of which, Renewal had a swabbing drive this past Sunday in 5T/FR and one of the things I learned was that frum Jews are responsible for an astounding 55% of all altruistic kidney transplants in NY and 35% in NJ. Holy cow. Let's see the NYT spin that.
Btw they reported that over 200 people swabbed.

#MKY

Offline NTorch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 68
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 07, 2023, 09:47:07 PM »
R' Frand told a story about Kiddush Hashem in his Thursday Nighf shiur this week - there was a man who had Hertz President's Club privileges which allows the member to pick any car in the lot and then when he checks out they look at his license, print a contract and he leaves without needing to wait at the counter or in any line.

There was a frum man who went and picked up a car under the program. But when he went to drop off the car he realized that they had misread his license and had charged someone else. He thought about just dropping the car and sending the money to the person by Zelle, but decided instead to go in and tell the attendant.

When he went inside the attendant got the manager who was so amazed by this person's honesty (because he could have just left and someone else would have been charged with no one knowing who he was) that he said to him - even though this cost $217, I am going to comp you because of how honest you are.

I was sent a whatsapp video of the guy telling his story, if it is available on line please post it here.

Offline Euclid

• View Profile
Please (Make and) Post your Kiddush Hashem or Honesty Story
« Reply #169 on: May 07, 2023, 09:53:47 PM »
R' Frand told a story about Kiddush Hashem in his Thursday Nighf shiur this week - there was a man who had Hertz President's Club privileges which allows the member to pick any car in the lot and then when he checks out they look at his license, print a contract and he leaves without needing to wait at the counter or in any line.

There was a frum man who went and picked up a car under the program. But when he went to drop off the car he realized that they had misread his license and had charged someone else. He thought about just dropping the car and sending the money to the person by Zelle, but decided instead to go in and tell the attendant.

When he went inside the attendant got the manager who was so amazed by this person's honesty (because he could have just left and someone else would have been charged with no one knowing who he was) that he said to him - even though this cost $217, I am going to comp you because of how honest you are.

I was sent a whatsapp video of the guy telling his story, if it is available on line please post it here.
With Hertz's track record, there's a chance the guy would've had an arrest warrant against him

Offline koplonko

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile

Offline imayid2

• View Profile

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 30, 2023, 08:28:06 PM »
Rav Edelstein ZT”L giving shiur in the ICU hours before he was niftar.
https://twitter.com/moshe_nayes/status/1663670480669229057

Offline yfr bachur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 31, 2023, 04:30:37 AM »
The residents of bnei brak who opened their shuls, homes and hearts to take care of the thousands of people who came for the levaya.

I was sitting next to a building where one family, for the entire length of the levaya (like 4 hours!), were going back and forth from their tap filling bottles of water, passing them out, refilling, figuring out where to more more disposable cups when they ran out and all the stores are closed a(and you cant get there anyway) , raiding their own pantry and passing out biscuts and cereal, and yougurts, and seltzer.... Mi Keamcha Yisroel!

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #174 on: June 01, 2023, 04:39:47 AM »
https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/372208
Israeli athlete Beatie Deutsch will not compete in the 2023 Budapest World Champs, because it is scheduled to take place on Saturday - the Jewish Sabbath (Shabbat).

In a Facebook post announcing her decision, Deutsch wrote, "In 2019, the women's marathon was scheduled for Friday night in the Doha World Championships."

"No big deal, I thought... This was just a rare occasion where they put the race at night due to the extreme heat. My career was just getting started and there would be more opportunities

"In the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, the women's marathon was moved to Saturday morning, once again precluding me from competing. I was extremely disappointed but there was nothing I could do.

"Even once the Olympics were rescheduled due to Corona, they still refused to make any religious accommodations (although they had done so in the past when Ramadan coincided with the London Olympics).

"In 2023, Budapest World Champs, once again scheduled the women's marathon for Shabbat. And so even though I have qualified, I will not be able to compete."

Deutsch continued, "I have kept Shabbat my entire life and it's a mitzvah I cherish dearly. I never imagined myself even contemplating otherwise, and yet for the first time in my life I found myself feeling pressure to compete on Shabbat."

"'How can we keep funding you if you have yet to actually be part of an Israeli delegation??' 'I'm sure we can find a Rabbi who will tell you it's ok.'

"Suddenly, the struggle all our Jewish grandmothers faced back in the 1920's, when they were told they'd lose their jobs if they didn't show up on Saturday, feels a lot more real.

"Will I lose my funding if I don't prove myself and compete? I'm giving up such big opportunities Maybe this profession isn't actually viable as an Orthodox Jew?

"And I wonder-- Is there any room for religious accommodations in sport? Is there any way to make changes to the system? Can we respect religious beliefs amongst athletes?

"I find myself doing the unthinkable and asking my rabbi if there's some way I can run..I know in my heart I could never do it, but I have to ask.

"I'm not surprised by his answer, only shocked that I even considered it.

"And as I reflect on my journey, and the intense challenges and obstacles I've faced along the way, I know that the sacrifice I make for Shabbat. The commitment I make to uphold this holy day is the most precious choice I will take with me."
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 11, 2023, 08:22:51 PM »
https://vinnews.com/2023/06/11/vin-exclusive-anyone-would-have-done-what-i-did-says-jewish-man-who-loans-his-lexus-to-stranded-charedi-stranger/

“Pre-holiday travel woes were transformed from a major headache into a global lesson in kindness and brotherhood, when the lives of strangers from two very different Jewish communities intersected on a North Jersey roadway late last month.
A pair of voice notes that went viral on WhatsApp in recent days told the story of how Chesky Brecher and Nader Bolour met on May 25th on Englewood’s E. Palisade Avenue just two hours before the onset of the Shavuos holiday.

A cantor who lives in Staten Island and had been hired to sing over Shavuos at the upstate Raleigh hotel, Brecher followed Waze on a detour through Englewood Cliffs after coming off the New Jersey Turnpike, making his way to the Palisades Interstate Parkway as he headed towards South Fallsburg.
Attempting to maneuver through congestion in a work area at the highway entrance ramp, Brecher was pulled over by police, fully expecting to be handed a ticket and allowed to continue his trip upstate. Instead, he discovered that he had unknowingly been driving with a suspended registration, the result of an insurance mix-up and a mailing address snafu at his place of work, both of which had been previously corrected.

Efforts to persuade police not to impound his Suburban fell flat, as did attempts to call Uber and Lyft, with multiple drivers cancelling on Brecher. Stuck on the side of the road with his family and all their possessions, Brecher managed to get some of his passengers a ride to the Raleigh with a fellow Jew who stopped to offer assistance.

But even as he was inundated with offers of places to stay for Shavuos as word of his situation spread, Brecher never doubted that he would make it to the hotel before yom tov, which was due to start uncomfortably soon.

“There were hundreds of people at the Raleigh waiting for me to give them beautiful tefilos – prayers – for Shavuos and there was no way that we weren’t going to figure out how to make it happen,” Brecher told VIN News. “But as the time kept getting later, I realized that whatever I was trying wasn’t working, so we decided to leave it up to Hashem.”

Divine salvation came in the form of Nader Bolour, a 56 year old Sephardic Jew, and his 2020 Lexus ES 350.

Bolour had left work much later than he originally anticipated and had gotten stuck in traffic on the FDR Drive as he made his way home to Englewood.

Finally making his way up the highway ramp to the George Washington Bridge, Bolour noticed several stopped cars on the side of the road and a cluster of Hasidic men, but with his own clock ticking down towards the holiday, Bolour reasoned that someone else would come along to lend a hand, a decision that he regretted within seconds.

Coming across Brecher, his wife, baby and their young children, all standing next to a police car at the parkway entrance ramp in Englewood Cliffs, Bolour didn’t hesitate for even a moment before stopping his car.

“It was literally like a movie, like homeless people, and I said I got to do something about this,” said Bolour. “This is crazy. It’s Erev Shavuot and it’s 6, 6:30 in the afternoon, so I pull up to the guy.”

Hearing what had happened, Bolour realized that the only way for Brecher and his family to make it to the Raleigh before Shavuos was if they started driving immediately. He told Brecher to take his Lexus, refusing any offers of taking money or even any form of identification to ensure that his luxury car would be returned.

“I told him ‘There’s no need – we’re all brothers – go take the car,’” recalled Bolour.

Balour told his wife Mandana, what he had done when he got home. She turned the episode into a teachable moment for the couple’s younger children, even as Bolour was thanking G-d for an opportunity to start the holiday on the heels of an epic mitzvah.

“Kids, come and hear what your father just did,” said Mandana Bolour. “You see, you have to be inspired by your father.”

Driving up to Sullivan County, Brecher was stunned by the generosity of the stranger who not only gave him his car, but insisted that he not rush home immediately after the conclusion of the holiday, telling him instead to take his family home the next day to Staten Island before returning the car to Englewood.

The two stood together in Bolour’s driveway when Brecher brought the Lexus back the car back to Englewood, singing a song of from the prayer of Hallel. While Bolour thanked G-d for granting him the opportunity to help a fellow Jew, Brecher expressed his Heavenly gratitude for the help that saved him in his hour of need.
As someone who has been giving classes in gratitude for the past 10 years and recently began sharing weekly motivational messages on WhatsApp, Bolour decided to inspire others with his story.
He retold it the following week to his more than 500 WhatsApp followers and convinced Brecher to share his perspective a week later with the group. Their voice notes began making the rounds on WhatsApp and quickly went viral.

“My phone blew up,” shared Brecher. “I had just gotten a call from the Chabad rebbetzin in Palm Springs, when people from Israel reached out saying that it’s on every group. It’s unbelievable how far the story reached – every community where I wondered whether the story had reached them, I got a call or message from someone there saying what a kiddush Hashem the story made.”

Brecher remains moved by Bolour’s generosity and is grateful for the opportunity to share a story that shows the Jewish community’s depth of kindness.

For his part, Bolour noted that while people typically gravitate towards others from similar backgrounds, the opportunity to prove that he had spent the intermediary weeks between Pesach and Shavuos actively improving his love for others of different backgrounds, had him entering a holiday that commemorates the giving of the Torah ready to embrace its teachings with a full heart.

“I think anybody would have done what I did,” said Bolour.

“The real truth is that I don’t get any credit,” added Bolour. “It is all Hashem and my wife, who is the body behind all of the spirituality that is learned in our home, and maintains the spirituality in our house.”

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #176 on: June 12, 2023, 03:40:24 AM »

I especially appreciate that he had the confidence in his wife, to know she would back him 100% (and she even bragged about it to the kids). He wouldn't have been able to lend out his car if he thought his wife would be upset at him for it.
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline Euclid

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 12, 2023, 10:51:05 AM »
I especially appreciate that he had the confidence in his wife, to know she would back him 100% (and she even bragged about it to the kids). He wouldn't have been able to lend out his car if he thought his wife would be upset at him for it.
Especially since she's not always his biggest fan ;)

ETA: for those unaware, this is a joke. He said this tongue-in-cheek when telling the story.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 12:09:36 PM by Euclid »

Offline TimT

• View Profile

Online Sammy82

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 19, 2023, 11:09:54 AM »
https://twitter.com/MKYstatus/status/1670591586802040834
he carries a spare pair in his pocket just in case? Do all lubavitchers do that?