Author Topic: Israel & Bali: around the world in 17 days  (Read 46743 times)

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: Israel & Bali: around the world in 17 days
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2017, 02:51:01 PM »
Great new segments! Rosh Hanikra looks really cool - on my list for a future trip. Keep 'em coming!

Offline Moshe123

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2017, 03:01:52 PM »
Note to everyone. This is how you do a TR.

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2017, 11:46:10 PM »
Great new segments! Rosh Hanikra looks really cool - on my list for a future trip. Keep 'em coming!
Thanks!

Note to everyone. This is how you do a TR.
Aww, thank you!

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2017, 11:48:38 PM »
Tzfat and Caesarea

While Tuesday was our only full day in Zichron, and we decided to visit my cousin in Tzfat. We started the day with breakfast in the hotel’s restaurant. While most rooms have breakfast included, when booking with SPG points (as a Gold member) you do not get a free breakfast. I spoke with the mashgiach before our trip to confirm the kashrus of the food and he said basically everything was kosher.

Pictures of breakfast at the Elma:

We had breakfast from the buffet, though I was a tad disappointed having just been at the Ritz’s breakfast. We got ready to go and were in the car by 11:30 am.

We arrived at my cousin’s house in Tzfat at around 1:00 pm. Both DW and DD slept in the car on the way there.  Apparently, my cousin and her husband normally have a late start to their day, as they were just finishing up breakfast when we came. After schmoozing at her house for a while we eventually headed out to a rather late lunch at around 3:00 pm.

My cousin and her husband decided to join us for the day, while her kids were all busy. My cousin’s husband drove us to the center of town, parked and we all walked down to a restaurant. The main street was quite deserted, as it was Tuesday and besides for the big cities, Tuesdays are a quasi-weekend with many people off and businesses closed. We eventually got to the restaurant, and my wife and I ate lunch (my cousin and her husband just got a coffee and a pastry).

Tzfat

Lunch in Tzfat:

After lunch, we decided to walk around the old town which was thankfully covered. We walked around there, my wife bought a necklace, and we met a friend of my cousin in one of the (open) shops. From there we decided to walk back most of the way while my cousin’s husband went to get the car. We ended up at a nice park for 10 minutes before he showed up and we went back to their house.

Park we were at

We picked up our car here, said our goodbyes and drove back to Zichron. Because of our very late lunch we weren’t hungry for dinner so we just put DD to sleep and went to bed.

Wednesday started almost the same as Tuesday. We went to the breakfast buffet (for a charge), played at the pool for a bit, and left the hotel at around 11:30 am.

Pool in the Elma

After stopping for gas, we went straight to Caesarea, a 15-minute drive away. When we arrived, there were loads of spots in the parking lot and basically no line to get in. When we got to the front of the line to pay I told the woman we’d like a pass for everything. She printed our tickets and we were in.

I brought the baby carrier and was carrying our daughter around everywhere. We walked around the area when my wife saw a sign for a movie. We walked there only to find our tickets didn’t in fact cover everything and it would be an extra fee to see the 10-minute movie. Despite the fact that the room was air conditioned, we decided to skip the movie and head to the famous Amphitheater.

Some random picutes of Caesarea:

When we got to the ticket check spot we showed our tickets and were told we needed our receipt as well. After showing that we went in. We walked to the amphitheater and looked around a bit before heading back along the water. We didn’t mind one bit walking in the “splash zone” along the water, as it was quite hot out.

More Pictures…

By the time we got back to the walls heading out of that area, my wife wanted to go back to the movie since we had our receipt and apparently it was good (both the movie and the amphitheater section cost extra). We were told once again that our tickets didn’t include the movie and in the words on the person there, “I don’t know how you got in if you didn’t pay.”

We were enjoying sitting in front of the air conditioning, me taking a break from carrying DD and DW just cooling off, when a large group of Americans walked in and DD went straight for them. After entertaining the group for a bit, and us just sitting there pathetically not going in, the woman working there decided to let us just go in anyway.

It’s a good thing we didn’t end up paying. After about 2 minutes of sitting in the video, DD decided she didn’t like the dark and started whining. Out we went. I offered DW to sit in the rest of the movie about the area, but she didn’t want to, preferring to just go.

We walked out, ate lunch in the car, and were off to Yerushalayim by 1:45 pm. When we arrived in Yerushalayim around 3:00pm, after DW and DD had slept in the car, we first went to the street they named after my wife’s Yerushalmi great-great-grandfather. We filled up the car and drove to the hotel, the Waldorf Astoria.

After dropping DW and DD off at the hotel, I went around the block to return the car. While I first found the car rental office to return the vehicle, they told me that this was not the spot you return cars. I started following the guy’s directions, but after a short while of realizing they were leading nowhere, I went back to the office to ask where to return the car.

Turns out I was going to the wrong area. The correct area to return the car was in an underground parking lot a few blocks away. Once in there were loads of signs for the rental return, and I eventually found it and returned the car.

After a short walk back to the WA, we were off to our room.

I’ll let the pictures speak for themselves:

Once we were settled in we decided to go out for dinner at Luciana Restaurant in the Mamilla mall. We had a bit of trouble finding it exactly (you enter an indoor part of the mall right near Fox), but we eventually made it upstairs to Luciana. While the restaurant definitely wasn’t cheap (it was the most expensive meal we had in Israel!), the food was absolutely fantastic!! I was literally making sure every last piece of food we got was consumed it was that good.

Dinner at Luciana:

Inside of the restaurant

After dinner, we walked back to the hotel and got ready for bed. DW took a nice, relaxing bath after DD was asleep while I was on my computer for a bit, and then we went to bed.

Offline Suave

• DansDeals Developer
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
    • SWIZU Web Development
  • Programs: Photoshop
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2017, 12:19:07 AM »
Amazing TR. Thanks for putting the effort in.

Following intently.
DDMS Built with ♥ by SWIZU

Offline ar

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2017, 12:24:31 AM »
Same here, great TR. Thanks!

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2017, 12:35:09 AM »
Amazing TR. Thanks for putting the effort in.

Following intently.
Same here, great TR. Thanks!
You're welcome, guys!

Offline 12HRS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2017, 12:39:33 AM »
Your making my trip in a month so much easier!

Did they upgrade you at the waldorf? Kid slept in a crib?

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2017, 12:40:41 AM »
Your making my trip in a month so much easier!

Did they upgrade you at the waldorf? Kid slept in a crib?
I'm glad I can help. Yes and yes.

Offline 12HRS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2017, 12:46:15 AM »
I'm glad I can help. Yes and yes.

What room was that I assume the junior suite?

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2017, 12:54:13 AM »
What room was that I assume the junior suite?
It was room 227. It was a junior suite I guess. I was a Platinum member at Hilton when I booked, so they probably upgraded me.

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2017, 01:01:13 AM »
Name of the restaurant in tzfas? Was it good?

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2017, 01:02:23 AM »
Name of the restaurant in tzfas? Was it good?
It was quite good. I don't remember the name off hand, but I can look it up.

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2017, 01:17:01 AM »
Great job as always, Yehoshua! And thanks for keep on keepin on. That's gotta be tough although it's way more an enjoyable read this way.

Offline saw50st8

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2017, 07:36:34 AM »
Love the TR. The food looks incredible.

Offline Denverite

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2017, 10:13:44 AM »

+1! So how much was breakfast at the Ritz and the Art Complex hotel?

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2017, 10:14:55 AM »
Awesome job! Can't wait for more :)
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Online cholent

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2017, 10:28:43 AM »
I'll just join the chorus, I'm really enjoying the trip report! Getting me excited for my trip to EY next month
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2017, 09:18:18 PM »
Great job as always, Yehoshua! And thanks for keep on keepin on. That's gotta be tough although it's way more an enjoyable read this way.

Thanks!
+1! So how much was breakfast at the Ritz and the Art Complex hotel?
At the Elma it was $68.73 all in, as charged on my card. IIFC it was around 65 NIS a person including the SPG discount. The Ritz was free.

Awesome job! Can't wait for more :)

I'll just join the chorus, I'm really enjoying the trip report! Getting me excited for my trip to EY next month
Thanks!

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2017, 09:19:51 PM »
Music Museum, Geula and the Kotel

For our first morning we were super excited to try the free breakfast. We were down stairs at the breakfast buffet as soon as I got back from the Great Synagogue at around 9:00 am.

I’ll let the pictures do the talking:

Our first stop for the day was at the new(-ish) music museum in Kikar HaMusica. It on was a lovely pedestrian-only street with umbrellas overhead for shade.

Umbrella-covered street

Music Museum

It was a small museum of 2 floors, though it was done in a very nice way. Each visitor got a tablet and a pair of wireless headphones to go along with it. There were QR codes all over the museum, by each exhibit, that you scanned with the tablet. The code that you scanned had either a video that played or a list of instruments that you were looking at. If you clicked on the instrument you could read about it and hear a sample of someone playing it. You can imagine my surprise when I heard a modern American song playing as the sample music on one of the instruments!

Music Museum

Finally, at the end of the museum they have a 3D Beis HaMikdash experience. While I’m not one who likes 3D things, especially if it involves putting on goggles which this did, DW was a big fan and really enjoyed herself. DD was not on her best behavior at the museum, so we may have done it a bit quicker than had she not been there, or had she been better behaved, but it was still a fun way to spend 2 hours.

After the music museum, we decided to walk to Geula now that I finally decided what I needed there. Up Yaffo and down Strauss, and before we knew it we were in Geula. I went to get the few things I wanted and we headed back to the hotel. On the way, we decided to stop for lunch at Ma’afe Ne’eman on the corner of King George and Yaffo. We each got a salad bowl which came with a roll.

After a nice, light lunch at the bakery we headed back to the hotel for a bit to relax and cool down. Since we were leaving Israel on Sunday, we decided that a visit to the Kotel was in order since we didn’t want to go on Friday or Shabbos. We walked through Mamilla and through Shaar Yaffo to the Kotel. I davened Mincha there then we headed back.

Aaron at the Kotel

We met up with my wife’s cousin for a few minutes on the way back, as he was in the Old City anyway for the summer. We stopped at Holy Bagel to pick up food for a light dinner. Once we got our food, we walked out of the Old City and back to our hotel, bidding DW’s cousin goodbye at the Old City walls.

We had an exhausting day of walking, so once we got back to the hotel we just had a light dinner of bagels and I went back to the great Synagogue for Maariv. When I got back, DD was sound asleep, so we just relaxed for the rest of the evening before turning in for the night.