Author Topic: How do you get away without your kids?  (Read 2456 times)

Offline srepw

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: How do you get away without your kids?
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2022, 05:56:03 PM »

Offline srepw

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2022, 05:57:17 PM »
Do you have any young adult or older teenager friends/neighbors/family that would be able to join you for the trip in a babysitting capacity?

You cover their travel, food and lodging in exchange for watching your kids during the day and they get the nights off to enjoy on their own.
This may be an idea. Thank you. Other's mentioned having someone like this at home. I may like the second option but this may be an option. Thanks!

Offline srepw

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2022, 05:59:35 PM »
There was a different thread, @TimT sometime in the last year or two.  A couple - I think in Monsey - wanted to go away and was hoping to find someone who would stay with their kids for a few days - perhaps an older couple from the City who'd like to spend time "in the country".

Maybe you could find someone who could move in for a few days, perhaps a recent graduate, a neighbor, or someone from their school.

I did something like this when I was in college.  Friends - also students - wanted to take some time off and I agreed to stay with their son (not more than 2 years old) "just for a few days".  They took off on Sunday, and by Wed I was hoping they'd appear.  By Thursday I was really ready for them to return, and they finally called late Thursday night and said, "Okay, we'll see you on Sunday!"  What?  Had I misunderstood?  Or were they having so much fun they decided to stay longer?  I never did figure that one out.  I just remember that moment of panic, thinking "What if they never show up?"  Had to call someone to bring over change of clothes, food for Shabbos, books.
This cracked me up. Can only imagine your horror while they were living it up.
A couple of other people mentioned this. I've got to find the right person and pay a pretty penny, but I know making it happen won't be a walk in the park so maybe this is the only way.

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2022, 06:02:52 PM »
This may be an idea. Thank you. Other's mentioned having someone like this at home. I may like the second option but this may be an option. Thanks!
Might be better to hire a pair of babysitters.  Depending on the cost of the ticket and available accommodations. You only pay for the cost of their trip, and they have each other for evening entertainment and to share the work of the kids.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline srepw

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2022, 06:04:04 PM »
What I used to do. Is look for places close by. Not more then hour or two away. Leave motzie shabbos till Monday morning. Would either leave by in-laws or get a niece or two. This way it is very manageable first night kids are already in bed. So that leaves just one night, which is more manageable. Sunday at that time, was the best day for us as there was no school so no need to pickup from two three places. Gave money so they could take the kids out etc. if needed would be back to get the kids dressed for school Monday morning if not would come back Monday afternoon.
In theory, this makes the most sense, but it doesn't do it for us. Maybe I've got to work on getting to a point where these longer trips aren't such a necessity instead of trying to find a way to make what seems impossible become possible...

Offline srepw

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2022, 06:05:32 PM »
Might be better to hire a pair of babysitters.  Depending on the cost of the ticket and available accommodations. You only pay for the cost of their trip, and they have each other for evening entertainment and to share the work of the kids.
Good point. Maybe if I did this airbnb style. I've got to think about making it practical.

Offline srepw

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2022, 06:11:53 PM »
So what I'm getting from all the responses thus far are either give it up until kids get older, do some day trips/one-nighters, find places for the kids with friends and family, sponsor the trip for one or two people in exchange for the babysitting/keeping kids busy, or pay someone to watch kids at home.
I wish my wife and myself didn't need these trips and could just give them up. Maybe there is work we can do to get to that point, but I'm not sure how we can at this point. These recharge us and aren't "extras." Without them, we fall apart. With that, I'm left with shepherding out the kids (which was an option in the past but is currently extremely difficult if not impossible) or sponsoring someone to come along/ paying for someone to watch kids at home. Appreciate all the advice and plan on looking into all this.

Online S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2022, 06:19:48 PM »
We had a couple of nieces sleep over last night while we went to dinner/activity/hotel about 40 minutes away (Deal). We left immediately after bedtime yesterday and got back just in time to bring them to school/babysitters this morning.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2022, 06:33:21 PM »
@srepw Having a family member (in law, parent) come over for a short 2 night getaway won't work for you to recharge, and take the kids along for when you want to go on a longer trip?

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2022, 07:01:12 PM »
To answer the OP's question, one easy way is to let your kids walk in front of you, and then silently sneak away to the side. By the time they realize, you should be safely away without them.

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2022, 07:54:15 PM »
How many here can say "we never went on vacation"
["-"]