Author Topic: 5 days in Costa Rica (La Fortuna)  (Read 1695 times)

Offline JuryDuty

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
5 days in Costa Rica (La Fortuna)
« on: January 15, 2024, 07:49:45 PM »
We visited Costa Rica for 5 days in the summer and have been getting some requests for a trip report. I'll leave the itinerary here and hopefully will add a TR after if I find time.
Jury Duty: Nothing to do there but chill and write a TR. Kinda like the beach but missing the view and ocean breeze.

Offline JuryDuty

• View Profile
Re: 5 days in Costa Rica (La Fortuna)
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2024, 07:50:06 PM »
Sunday
Arrival in San Jose Costa Rica
~1pm
picking up food in San José
drive to La Fortuna
Stay in Noah's Forest by Tifakara

Monday
Morning - Rafting Sarapiqui River Class IV
Afternoon - Arenal volcano hike - self guided

Tuesday
Morning - Mistico Hanging bridges with guide
Afternoon- horseback riding

Wednesday
Morning - Canyoning
La Fortuna waterfall - self guided
Drive to La Paz waterfall
Stay in Peace Lodge

Thursday
Poas Volcano

En route to airport:
Doka Coffee Plantation Tour
Jury Duty: Nothing to do there but chill and write a TR. Kinda like the beach but missing the view and ocean breeze.

Offline JuryDuty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2024, 08:15:23 PM »
High Level TR - I want to focus on writing something so will opt for a shorter TR. Happy to elaborate for anything if interested! Our trip was in the summer, during rainy season

Costa Rica has so many wonderful areas, so the hardest decision was staying in one location (mostly) so that we would be able to enjoy and not be rushed. Arenal/La Fortuna is an amazing option with volcanos, hot springs, adventure, rain forests, wildlife all in one area - the main thing we skipped was the beaches, and we were fine with that. Stopping in La Paz on the way back was also a compromise so we felt like we were getting multiple locations. We also wanted an adventure trip (read: that we couldn't do with toddlers) and that was a main focus.

We ordered food in advance from a number of kosher places in Costa Rica and asked them to deliver to one of the locations. Our driver picked up from that one location. We recommend Menasci for dairy food and Super Kosher for meat.

For our hotel in La Fortuna, we wanted a nice place with a pool, central location, and accommodating with kosher food. We went through a long list of hotels that would fit all the above, and ended up with Noah's Forest by Tifakara. Our compromise was not having hot springs on the property. The hotel and staff went above and beyond to accommodate and was absolutely incredible. I can't recommend this place enough.

We opted out of driving and instead got Ubers/booked ahead for longer rides. Within the La Fortuna/Arenal area, Ubers were plentiful and it was fine. We really missed not having a car on the last day, where Ubers were not available in the La Paz area, and we got into some tough situations. Looking back, we would definitely get a car.

Class 4 rapids - was an amazing experience, 5/5. only thing I'd change is doing it on the way to the airport/La Paz (or on the way there, but on the way back you'll have less stuff) because it's a ton of extra driving the way we did it.
Arenal hike - 3/5. felt like we had to do it but we saw the volcano all trip long, was cloudy during the hike and the whole trip. Nothing crazy but kinda cool.
Mistico - 5/5. Our guide was absolutely incredible and made the trip. He put all the other guides to shame and was showing them a ton of stuff. PM for his number.
horseback riding - 2/5. skip it.
Canyoning - 5+. included Ziplining and rappelling through waterfalls. With Maquique Adventures. The most wonderful experience. Do this if you have only one day!
La Fortuna watefall - 4/5. Pretty cool, and you can't skip it

One of the nights we did Baldi Hot Springs -3.5/5 if you go to the volcano area, you gotta do the hot springs. super chill.
Another night we did the wildlife tour at the Tifakara hotel (sister hotel of Noah's Forest). 4/5.

La Paz - 4.5/5 overall so peaceful when the day guests leave and it's just the Peace Lodge overnight guests. Highly recommend doing the feeding tour (for hotel guests only) where we fed sloths, toucans and hummingbirds. The waterfall hike was great.
Poas Volcan0 - 3/5. Low scores because it was cloudy and we didn't see much, and we got stranded by our Uber so that was really stressful. I'm sure your experience will likely be much more positive
Doka Coffee - 4.5/5 - we had an incredible tour guide from the Peace Lodge hotel that made it an incredible experience.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 08:32:38 PM by JuryDuty »

Offline Luvtotravel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2024, 10:04:08 PM »
aspirational! been wanting to do costa rica for a while... any pics you can share?
Don't wait for the perfect moment; take the moment and make it perfect.

Offline efflpetzel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2024, 12:58:09 AM »
High Level TR - I want to focus on writing something so will opt for a shorter TR. Happy to elaborate for anything if interested! Our trip was in the summer, during rainy season

Costa Rica has so many wonderful areas, so the hardest decision was staying in one location (mostly) so that we would be able to enjoy and not be rushed. Arenal/La Fortuna is an amazing option with volcanos, hot springs, adventure, rain forests, wildlife all in one area - the main thing we skipped was the beaches, and we were fine with that. Stopping in La Paz on the way back was also a compromise so we felt like we were getting multiple locations. We also wanted an adventure trip (read: that we couldn't do with toddlers) and that was a main focus.

We ordered food in advance from a number of kosher places in Costa Rica and asked them to deliver to one of the locations. Our driver picked up from that one location. We recommend Menasci for dairy food and Super Kosher for meat.

For our hotel in La Fortuna, we wanted a nice place with a pool, central location, and accommodating with kosher food. We went through a long list of hotels that would fit all the above, and ended up with Noah's Forest by Tifakara. Our compromise was not having hot springs on the property. The hotel and staff went above and beyond to accommodate and was absolutely incredible. I can't recommend this place enough.

We opted out of driving and instead got Ubers/booked ahead for longer rides. Within the La Fortuna/Arenal area, Ubers were plentiful and it was fine. We really missed not having a car on the last day, where Ubers were not available in the La Paz area, and we got into some tough situations. Looking back, we would definitely get a car.

Class 4 rapids - was an amazing experience, 5/5. only thing I'd change is doing it on the way to the airport/La Paz (or on the way there, but on the way back you'll have less stuff) because it's a ton of extra driving the way we did it.
Arenal hike - 3/5. felt like we had to do it but we saw the volcano all trip long, was cloudy during the hike and the whole trip. Nothing crazy but kinda cool.
Mistico - 5/5. Our guide was absolutely incredible and made the trip. He put all the other guides to shame and was showing them a ton of stuff. PM for his number.
horseback riding - 2/5. skip it.
Canyoning - 5+. included Ziplining and rappelling through waterfalls. With Maquique Adventures. The most wonderful experience. Do this if you have only one day!
La Fortuna watefall - 4/5. Pretty cool, and you can't skip it

One of the nights we did Baldi Hot Springs -3.5/5 if you go to the volcano area, you gotta do the hot springs. super chill.
Another night we did the wildlife tour at the Tifakara hotel (sister hotel of Noah's Forest). 4/5.

La Paz - 4.5/5 overall so peaceful when the day guests leave and it's just the Peace Lodge overnight guests. Highly recommend doing the feeding tour (for hotel guests only) where we fed sloths, toucans and hummingbirds. The waterfall hike was great.
Poas Volcan0 - 3/5. Low scores because it was cloudy and we didn't see much, and we got stranded by our Uber so that was really stressful. I'm sure your experience will likely be much more positive
Doka Coffee - 4.5/5 - we had an incredible tour guide from the Peace Lodge hotel that made it an incredible experience.

Great start!!

can you please elaborate on the kosher options in SJO & which hotels in Arenal gave you a hard time with accommodating kosher?

Offline JuryDuty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2024, 12:42:32 PM »
Great start!!

can you please elaborate on the kosher options in SJO & which hotels in Arenal gave you a hard time with accommodating kosher?

Kosher was an issue because places didn't want to store so much food in their kitchen fridge. I don't remember all the places we reached out to sorry.

And there's a ton of info on Kosher food if you google it. I just wanted to share what we found the best. Keep in mind you'll likely have to order a week in advance for the prepped meals

Offline JuryDuty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2024, 11:12:00 PM »
aspirational! been wanting to do costa rica for a while... any pics you can share?

Definitely have some, I have to figure out how to upload pics again

Offline rcarentals

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz 1# Plat, Sabre, Travel Agent
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2024, 07:45:57 PM »
Tip: I hate the hassle of storing in hotel fridges. My priorities are in room fridge, or a high end soft cooler.
I've used some great ones in the past. Like the polar bear 24 can, returned due to small size and just now the arctic titan. Returned due to zipper less design.
I just picked up an Engel BP24-GSF.
Stellar performance, and backpack straps - and got open box for $126.
I'll be testing this week on a trip to Maui.

At the JW Guanacaste i just had the butler do it or went to the many bars, or restaurants with my bag and they filled it up happily.
Do not boast for tomorrow, Because you do not know what the day will bear.(Mishlei C27.V1)