Author Topic: Rumored Chase Points Valuation Changes  (Read 6089 times)

Offline jack2act

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Rumored Chase Points Valuation Changes
« on: July 17, 2017, 08:15:38 AM »
I copied this from Dr of Credit and find his info quite reliable;

Chase Sends Out Survey Regarding Possible Changes To Transferring Chase UR Points For 1.5¢ Travel Redemptions
Reddit user msd2179 completed a Chase Customer Panel survey regarding the ability to transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards points to the Chase Sapphire Reserve to take advantage of the 1.5¢ per point value you get when redeeming for travel through the Chase travel portal. They wanted to know how users would feel about the following options:
1.   “When you combine the Ultimate Rewards points on eligible Chase Cards they would retain their original redemption value – that is, when transferred the points would retain the redemption value of the product they were initially earned on. For example you would not earn a travel redemption bonus if your transfer from a no fee card to a Fee card.”
2.   “You can only combine Ultimate Reward points between no-annual fee cards or between annual fee cards. You cannot combine Ultimate Rewards points between a no-annual fee card and an annual fee card.”
3.   “You can combine Ultimate Rewards points on eligible Chase cards at a 3:2 conversion ratio. For example if you would like to transfer 15,000 points from your Freedom Unlimited card to your Sapphire Reserve account, your Sapphire Reserve would be credited with 10,000 points (a 3:2 ratio). The transferred points would be granted the redemption value and options of the account to which they are transferred into.”
All three of these options are terrible and significantly devalue the current value you can get from the Chase Freedom Unlimited (1.5x Chase UR on all purchases) and the Chase Freedom (5x Chase UR on rotating categories). If they made these changes I assume they would also affect your ability to transfer the points to Chase’s travel partners as well. Obviously this is just a preliminary survey to see how customers would feel about these changes, but it isn’t good to see Chase even considering these types of negative changes.
If you received this survey, make sure you complete it so Chase knows how terrible these changes would be for cardholders. Might as well transfer over any points you have just in case as well.
Small Update: A number of months back, we heard a rumor from an insider that this kind of change was being looked at.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 09:31:49 AM by Dan »

Offline rr1

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Chase Points Valuation Changes
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 08:19:23 AM »
Just combined all accounts last night to Reserve including DW
Was nervous they may actually do this

Offline rr1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 08:20:11 AM »
I would change the title to "potential"

Offline foseph

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 08:22:24 AM »
I would change the title to "potential"
+1, kinda got freaked out

Just combined all accounts last night to Reserve including DW
Was nervous they may actually do this
just did mine as well

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 08:35:30 AM »
They have done surveys like this for years and most of the time nothing comes of them.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline JACKBLUE

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 09:30:15 AM »
They have done surveys like this for years and most of the time nothing comes of them.
Nichamtuni Dan nichamtuni!!

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 01:41:18 PM »
I really really really hope.. They'd totally kill off all the people using FUs for their regular purchases..
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline elit

• View Profile
Re: Rumored Chase Points Valuation Changes
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 02:24:54 PM »

I copied this from Dr of Credit and find his info quite reliable;

Chase Sends Out Survey Regarding Possible Changes To Transferring Chase UR Points For 1.5¢ Travel Redemptions
Reddit user msd2179 completed a Chase Customer Panel survey regarding the ability to transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards points to the Chase Sapphire Reserve to take advantage of the 1.5¢ per point value you get when redeeming for travel through the Chase travel portal. They wanted to know how users would feel about the following options:

repost

Offline rr1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 12:48:29 AM »
When trying to transfer from one account to a family member I get a message on the screen "an error has occurred "
Any ideas?

Offline JACKBLUE

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 12:50:22 AM »
When trying to transfer from one account to a family member I get a message on the screen "an error has occurred "
Any ideas?
happens some times try calling in

Offline rr1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 12:50:52 AM »
Thx

Offline yoshapiro

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 02:32:49 PM »
I mean this could also be a very beneficial ratio if it work the other way around. For example I spend 10k on travel with the Sapphire reserve. That's 30k points. I then transfer it over to the freedom, that would be 45k points. I then would transfer that over to a travel partner. If I would have done 10k spend of travel on the freedom unlimited I would only have 15k points to transfer over.  So I could take advantage of this in terms of transferring over to travel partners, assuming those ratios will remain the same.

Offline foseph

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 02:36:24 PM »
I mean this could also be a very beneficial ratio if it work the other way around. For example I spend 10k on travel with the Sapphire reserve. That's 30k points. I then transfer it over to the freedom, that would be 45k points. I then would transfer that over to a travel partner. If I would have done 10k spend of travel on the freedom unlimited I would only have 15k points to transfer over.  So I could take advantage of this in terms of transferring over to travel partners, assuming those ratios will remain the same.
except freedom doesnt allow u to transfer to travel partners

Offline yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 02:36:44 PM »
The idea would be that you can't transfer from freedom to travel partners. It would just be cash back

Offline doctorofcredit

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
    • Doctor of Credit
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 07:34:51 PM »

Dan keep in mind that one of our Chase insiders said they were considering these changes and how to implement them a few months ago as well. Obviously nothing has been decided for sure but this is more than just a survey.
Like my posts? Check out my blog Doctor of Credit.

Offline JACKBLUE

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2017, 08:24:12 PM »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2017, 02:18:20 AM »
I heard from Chase head of UR products in 2011 about trying to make changes to the Chase Trifecta as I called it back then to stop Freedom+Sapphire Preferred games.

Wake me up when something is confirmed, but life's too short for rumors :)
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline incendia

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2017, 09:05:03 AM »
I heard from Chase head of UR products in 2011 about trying to make changes to the Chase Trifecta as I called it back then to stop Freedom+Sapphire Preferred games.

Wake me up when something is confirmed, but life's too short for rumors :)

https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-cards/goodbye-chase-trifecta/

Offline mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2017, 10:29:56 AM »
So many things wrong with this, do some research.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy