Author Topic: I need your help guys, CC issue  (Read 6279 times)

Offline compddd

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
I need your help guys, CC issue
« on: June 16, 2011, 10:34:40 AM »
So I've been taking advantage of the great CC deals after reading about them here on DanDeals.

I can't convince my girlfriend to take advantage of them though. She says no one should ever have more than 2 credit cards at a time and says it will hurt her score if she opens up new CCs and then closes them after taking advantage of the offers.

What do I do, help!

Offline shmiel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: I need your help guys, CC issue
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 10:44:40 AM »
What she thinks in this case is simply not true. Your job is to prove it. Start here http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/6488#comments.

Offline springles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 10:48:30 AM »
Depends on the details of your situation.  How long have you been going out? Whats your relationship like? etc...

She is following a commonly misunderstood belief, but other than explaining it to her there isnt too much you can do.  I dont know if this is important enough to put your relationship in jeopardy. 

Maybe show her your credit score (there are a few free credit score trials going around the forums) and show her that you've been doing it and not hurting your score (assuming that your score is good). 

Offline Smokey Joe Robinson

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, Club Carlson Gold Elite, Best Western Diamond Elite, Marriott Rewards Silver, Hertz President's Circle, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, United Premier Silver
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 10:50:58 AM »
So I've been taking advantage of the great CC deals after reading about them here on DanDeals.

I can't convince my girlfriend to take advantage of them though. She says no one should ever have more than 2 credit cards at a time and says it will hurt her score if she opens up new CCs and then closes them after taking advantage of the offers.

What do I do, help!
introduce her and Just sign her up for ddf, once she starts reading shell never stop
My Programs Are Listed So That I Don't Forget Them :)

Offline compddd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 11:42:49 AM »
We've been going out a year and a half, and we live together.

She wants to goto Hawaii, so I told her to sign up for the Sapphire Preferred to cover the airline tickets, and to sign up for the Hyatt card to cover some of the nights in a really nice hotel.

but she got mad instead and said I DON'T WANT MORE THAN 2 CCs! I would rather pay a little bit extra and do it the normal way!

I said babe.... we would be paying A LOT extra to goto Hawaii

Ugh I just don't understand her position at all

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 11:45:58 AM »

She wants to goto Hawaii, so I told her to sign up for the Sapphire Preferred to cover the airline tickets, and to sign up for the Hyatt card to cover some of the nights in a really nice hotel.

but she got mad instead and said I DON'T WANT MORE THAN 2 CCs! I would rather pay a little bit extra and do it the normal way!

Just 2 Chase card apps, shame. ;)
Get the the CO or UA card, plus the Sapphire Preferred and the Hyatt card.
3 apps for just 1 credit hit.  Plus enough miles and points for a first class ticket and a 5 star hotel in paradise.

Bottom line-I have churned hundreds of cards and still have a stellar credit score.  The card companies may not like what I do but it won't hurt your score in the long run.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline steve L

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 11:51:15 AM »
the question is when do you stop applying for cards for when you are in the market for a mortgage?

anybody have any experience with applying for all these cards and still getting a good mortgage rates( i do understand that there are many other factors to get a mortgage like income down pymt)

Offline josh nyc

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 12:50:01 PM »

Does she believe in groupon/living social? the argument is the same: would you rather spend $100 or $50 to do the same thing? Would you rather spend $ on a vacation or FREE miles?!
The counter argument of hurting your credit score, as has been explained, is an old wives' tale. I do not think that I am stretching the truth when I say that almost everyone here has credit scores in the low 700s and above.

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, Club Carlson Gold Elite, Best Western Diamond Elite, Marriott Rewards Silver, Hertz President's Circle, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, United Premier Silver
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 01:14:21 PM »
Does she believe in groupon/living social? the argument is the same: would you rather spend $100 or $50 to do the same thing? Would you rather spend $ on a vacation or FREE miles?!
The counter argument of hurting your credit score, as has been explained, is an old wives' tale. I do not think that I am stretching the truth when I say that almost everyone here has credit scores in the low 700s and above.
+1, its just a ploy to keep us innocent deserving souls from our easily earned money/points.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 01:15:07 PM »

You should email her a link to this discussion  ;)

Offline compddd

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 02:00:45 PM »
Just 2 Chase card apps, shame. ;)
Get the the CO or UA card, plus the Sapphire Preferred and the Hyatt card.
3 apps for just 1 credit hit.  Plus enough miles and points for a first class ticket and a 5 star hotel in paradise.

Bottom line-I have churned hundreds of cards and still have a stellar credit score.  The card companies may not like what I do but it won't hurt your score in the long run.

So you're saying she should do the 3 browser method and go for those three cards?

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 02:05:42 PM »
Something tells me she will not agree to call recon to get them approved...

Offline MnM1130

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 02:18:03 PM »
i tell my friends all the time- they give me the same dumb answer- itll affect my c score. so i just tell them their losing out...

Offline compddd

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 03:02:44 PM »
Yeah I told my co-workers and they all gave me a big speech about how I'm killing my credit score.....

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 03:03:39 PM »
Yeah I told my co-workers and they all gave me a big speech about how I'm killing my credit score.....
They're uneducated.  And jealous.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline josh nyc

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2011, 03:10:46 PM »

Im only in the "game" for 14 months. In that time my credit score has gone up an avg of 50 points at all 3 credit shops (likely due to lower utilization because of more available credit, and continued excellent payment history; even with experian being lower bc of all the pulls).

Let them stay in the dark. Its only a deal when the masses are ignorant.

Offline springles

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2011, 03:15:33 PM »
Something tells me she will not agree to call recon to get them approved...
All you need is for her to get on the phone when you call and give them permission to talk to you.  Thats what Ive done with my wife's apps since she has no idea what we are doing.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2011, 03:33:07 PM »
All you need is for her to get on the phone when you call and give them permission to talk to you.  Thats what Ive done with my wife's apps since she has no idea what we are doing.
+1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2011, 03:56:55 PM »
Im only in the "game" for 14 months. In that time my credit score has gone up an avg of 50 points at all 3 credit shops (likely due to lower utilization because of more available credit, and continued excellent payment history; even with experian being lower bc of all the pulls).

Let them stay in the dark. Its only a deal when the masses are ignorant.
I have no clue what my score is, but it definitely has improved as I only had 1-2 cards before I began, Now my credit limit quadrupled and I continue to maintain a very low utilization.

Offline dans fan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2011, 03:57:52 PM »
I have no clue what my score is, but it definitely has improved as I only had 1-2 cards before I began, Now my credit limit quadrupled and I continue to maintain a very low utilization.
+1 more credit cards means higher line of credit =lower utilization automatically lifts score and tell her evan if she wants to pay "a little bit more" she can but without 5 revolving credit card accounts it hurts her score to have less than that. check out the fico score thing it says it very clearly. offer her to use your points and whatever money you save she has pay you when you finish the trip give the thousands of $$$ back to her. trust me you will be going on a lot of free vacations after that