Author Topic: Building up enough miles to go to Israel  (Read 1769 times)

Offline southernbelle

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Building up enough miles to go to Israel
« on: July 23, 2017, 11:12:53 AM »
I am looking for a bit of guru advice.  I would like to travel to Israel in 2 years on miles - I need 5-7 tickets from the NY area.  I have good credit and would be able to open a couple of cards between now and then, but I only have regular household spending and can't manage heroics to meet numerous spend thresholds.  I have about 100000 united miles and am considering taking out a new United card to claim a mileage bonus.  I also have 76000 ultimate rewards miles.  I do not have Saphire but a family member who may travel with us does. Based on current mileage programs can someone give me tips about how to pull these different pieces together and keep working toward my goal?

Offline rediplus

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Building up enough miles to go to Israel
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 11:17:12 AM »
Don't bother...by the time you collect the points they will most likely be devalued and you won't be able to meet the goal for all the tickets..at best you may be able to get there one way in coach..with stops and fuel surcharges ..if you want collect the points and then sell them to pay for the tickets..

Offline moe8555

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 12:03:12 PM »
Enough points for 5-7 would be an extreme challenge in my opinion (both in terms of spend and availability).  I think the only viable way would be to accrue enough to get to Europe and buy a cheap round-trip from Europe-Israel, but even that would be a challenge...

EDIT: A member since 2012 but only 4 posts!  Where have you been?  :o

Offline chaim0m

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 12:14:01 PM »
I am looking for a bit of guru advice.  I would like to travel to Israel in 2 years on miles - I need 5-7 tickets from the NY area.  I have good credit and would be able to open a couple of cards between now and then, but I only have regular household spending and can't manage heroics to meet numerous spend thresholds.  I have about 100000 united miles and am considering taking out a new United card to claim a mileage bonus.  I also have 76000 ultimate rewards miles.  I do not have Saphire but a family member who may travel with us does. Based on current mileage programs can someone give me tips about how to pull these different pieces together and keep working toward my goal?
I would focus on utilizing what you have, why not get 2-3 tickets now and pay for another 2-3.
travelcm

Offline BP16

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 12:27:16 PM »
Accumulate 5-600k points sell them and buy tickets

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 12:30:10 PM »
Get chase sapphire reserve and build up ur points to use at .015 or wells Fargo
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 12:34:13 PM »
I would focus on utilizing what you have, why not get 2-3 tickets now and pay for another 2-3.
Could you get them this far out ?
  I would like to travel to Israel in 2 years on miles

Offline chaim0m

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 12:35:04 PM »
Could you get them this far out ?
No, I meant sooner, maybe a year out.
travelcm

Offline Agoldsc1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 12:38:43 PM »
 I don't know how comfortable you are trading points,  but both points which you currently have trade pretty much on par with American express points,  and American Express is currently running a promotion where they give you a 40% bonus on transfer to Avios. You can use 60,000 Avios on Air Berlin to Israel with a fuel surcharge of <$100 per ticket, so the 176,000 combined points which you have already should be enough for four round-trip tickets to Israel.  Among the many caveats to this plan though are that (I) you would need to make the trade ASAP before the 40% promotion ends, (II)  you would need to keep your points in someone else's account for two years, and (III) you would need to hope that there is no devaluation or changes to the Avios program or their partners within the next two years.  Bottom line, as has been suggested above, I think that the best strategy for any points or miles redemption so far out in the future is selling points that you currently accumulate, and then buying the most practical and beneficial points when the time comes.

Offline David Smith

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 12:39:15 PM »
The cheapest mileage tickets to Israel (not including BA-AB or AF promo) are 50k + ~$225. The standard range is more like 75k+. That means you need 350k minimum, and 500k is a more realistic number. Availability is scarce too. Using cash (either using credit card points as cash or selling miles to offset cash costs) for economy tickets to Israel generally makes more sense.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline hvaces42

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 12:40:26 PM »
I don't know how comfortable you are trading points,  but both points which you currently have trade pretty much on par with American express points,  and American Express is currently running a promotion where they give you a 40% bonus on transfer to Avios. You can use 60,000 Avios on Air Berlin to Israel with a fuel surcharge of <$100 per ticket, so the 176,000 combined points which you have already should be enough for four round-trip tickets to Israel.  Among the many caveats to this plan though are that (I) you would need to make the trade ASAP before the 40% promotion ends,  you would need to make the trade ASAP before the 40% promotion ends, (II)  you would need to keep your points in someone else's account for two years, and (III) you would need to hope that there is no devaluation or changes to the Avios program or their partners within the next two years.  Bottom line, as has been suggested above, I think that the best strategy for any points or miles redemption so far out in the future is selling points that you currently accumulate, and then buying the most practical and beneficial points when the time comes.
When you find 4 Air Berlin saver seats on one flight let me know. Its rare fot them to have 2.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline flyingace

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2017, 02:29:04 PM »
I have done this twice for a family of ten, however this was more than five years ago. If you don't want to sell points your best bet is as aygart said. Build up UR points across all the family members and buy tickets through their website.

Offline JACKBLUE

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2017, 02:31:02 PM »
The cheapest mileage tickets to Israel (not including BA-AB or AF promo) are 50k + ~$225. The standard range is more like 75k+. That means you need 350k minimum, and 500k is a more realistic number. Availability is scarce too. Using cash (either using credit card points as cash or selling miles to offset cash costs) for economy tickets to Israel generally makes more sense.
+1 fully agreed!

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2017, 02:41:35 PM »
Definitely true.

The possible exception to that would be last minute one way travel where using points might make sense (25k + ~$82-$145 using FB, or 37.5k + ~$60 using SQ on UA), especially if not travelling to/from highly competitive airports.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline southernbelle

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2017, 03:20:35 PM »
Ok, so from what I am hearing I should focus on using cards whose rewards offer the best cash value and just use the cash for tickets. 

Offline GAM Z.

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2017, 03:29:19 PM »
Ok, so from what I am hearing I should focus on using cards whose rewards offer the best cash value and just use the cash for tickets.
If your unable to get any signup bonuses, than go for a cash back card.

Offline farmbochur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2017, 07:03:07 PM »
If your unable to get any signup bonuses, than go for a cash back card.
Much better off with:

1. 2x MR (on $50k/yr) via Amex business blue.
2. 5x UR (on $25k/yr office store MS) via Chase ink classic
3. 2x UR (on $25k/yr gas station MS) via Chase ink classic.
4. 5x UR (on $3-6k/yr) via Chase freedom (I figure at least 2 quarters should be easily MS-able: gas/grocery/pharmacy etc.)

Basically, have 2-3 family members get Amex business blue, Chase ink classic, and Chase freedom and find an MS Oasis. Obviously, any additional sign-up offers asking the way will mitigate the need for MS.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 07:06:21 PM by farmbochur »
Risk is opportunity

Online aygart

• View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2017, 07:07:39 PM »
Use cards which allow you to use the points towards travel at a rate greater than .01
Feelings don't care about your facts