Author Topic: Lifeguards  (Read 11931 times)

Offline avrumy22

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Lifeguards
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2014, 10:37:19 AM »
Deep water test not next to a wall? Mistake #1. Not noticing they can't make it to a wall before they can't make it to a wall mistake #2.

You can't tell me with better precautions those 2 kids wouldn't have been in that situation. As a counselor I let my campers to many things and get away with it, but they knew in my pool when I'm on duty you don't mess, and it doesn't take screaming just consistency in rules and enforcement.

I don't understand what you are referring to. Next to a wall? They swim from one wall to another. Both kids have been deep water swimmers in previous years. I believe that they didnt swim the entire year and just needed to get used to the water before taking the test. Instead they took the deep water test the first day so half way through they couldnt make it. No, I was not going to wait to see if they could make it to the wall.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2014, 10:42:45 AM »
I don't understand what you are referring to. Next to a wall? They swim from one wall to another. Both kids have been deep water swimmers in previous years. I believe that they didnt swim the entire year and just needed to get used to the water before taking the test. Instead they took the deep water test the first day so half way through they couldnt make it. No, I was not going to wait to see if they could make it to the wall.
Side wall.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline avrumy22

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2014, 10:47:06 AM »
Side wall.

True. I always start them off there but on the 3rd lap the kids drifted off more to the middle. (One of them by treading drifted)

Again, I am not saying that prevention and rules wont solve most of the dangers. Just a LG needs to be alert bec anything can happen, even with all the rules.

Offline bhphotoman

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2014, 10:51:51 AM »
If there is a group wanting to re-cert in brooklyn LG and CPR PM me i can help! :)

Offline bhphotoman

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2014, 10:52:31 AM »
I also kind of agree the best LG are ones that dont go in to the water! i was a LG for many years and never had to go in to the water

Offline avrumy22

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2014, 10:56:48 AM »
I also kind of agree the best LG are ones that dont go in to the water! i was a LG for many years and never had to go in to the water

Do you want an award? Best LG's?

read through the thread. We are discussing when you are TEACHING a course what to tell students.

Offline Name Changed

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2014, 10:59:14 AM »
I was a head lifeguard for a handful of years in a big summer camp.

I have jumped in twice to save someone. Once was a distressed swimmer, other time was an active drowning.
One of the times was during a deep water test, the other time was when a kid was pushed in.

I do agree that good lifeguards job is prevention, and hopefully should not have to come onto saving anyone.

But, there is no way to claim - that you are a great lifeguard cuz you never needed to jump in.

Offline smurf

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2014, 11:03:22 AM »
Kinda like the best cornerback is the one who's name you didn't hear all game

Offline bhphotoman

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2014, 11:32:32 AM »
Do you want an award? Best LG's?

read through the thread. We are discussing when you are TEACHING a course what to tell students.

I did read threw the thread and quite a few comments were specifically discussing entering the water! 

Offline 12HRS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2014, 12:57:42 PM »
My LG training always stressed rescuing in the Reach, Throw, Row, Go order..

I've never given a swim test where I was not holding a pole that could be grabbed at any moment by the swimmer.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2014, 01:00:21 PM »
My LG training always stressed rescuing in the Reach, Throw, Row, Go order..

I've never given a swim test where I was not holding a pole that could be grabbed at any moment by the swimmer.
+1

I was a head lifeguard for a handful of years in a big summer camp.

I have jumped in twice to save someone. Once was a distressed swimmer, other time was an active drowning.
One of the times was during a deep water test, the other time was when a kid was pushed in.

I do agree that good lifeguards job is prevention, and hopefully should not have to come onto saving anyone.

But, there is no way to claim - that you are a great lifeguard cuz you never needed to jump in.

As I said every case is different, but I hope you sat down with all the LG's after and discussed how it could have been prevented, and when you find that how you have your answer of what should have been done.

Offline avrumy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2014, 11:24:44 AM »
It seems that in order to be certified WSI you need to now be part of a origination and it cost money per year while its always been free. anyone have any insight what can be done here or there is no way out of this? Thanks

Offline alpicone

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2014, 11:47:24 AM »
Ok question:

Why were 2 kids who didn't know how to swim well in an area of the pool where they needed saving? Did you give swim tests before allowing them in the pool?

And no one said a good LG never had to jump in, but the best LG's never had to jump in if they can prevent it and that includes 90+% of drownings IMHO.

I was a lifeguard for a few years and only had to save a kid once. It was during a father/son swim where fathers were taking their kids in the deep even though the kid wasn't certified to swim in the deep saying "I am watching him."

Sure enough the father turns around to talk to a friend and the kid starts going under. I was able to toss a ring buoy to the kid and then pull him to the wall.

Offline avrumy22

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2014, 07:02:15 PM »
I was a lifeguard for a few years and only had to save a kid once. It was during a father/son swim where fathers were taking their kids in the deep even though the kid wasn't certified to swim in the deep saying "I am watching him."

Sure enough the father turns around to talk to a friend and the kid starts going under. I was able to toss a ring buoy to the kid and then pull him to the wall.

For this exact reason I dont let the fathers do this. I tell them that if they want to play with there kids it needs to be in the shallow. No exception.

Offline avrumy22

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2014, 09:23:08 PM »
To all WSI's and LTI's.

An update was emailed out by Red Cross that had a deadline of Sept 30th. I can confirm that you can still do it and I would advise anyone that has not done it yet to do so asap. This is a mandatory update so every instructor has to do it.

The LTI course has a 25 question quiz and the WSI has 10 questions. You must pass these to get the update.

Offline hh613

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2014, 08:47:52 AM »
In NJ
Becoming a lifeguard 8 years ago I paid $300.  I bacame an instructor almost 7years ago. That costed me $275. 
Now I charge $165 for renewals and $400 for first timers. This includes book and mask. (The going rate in lakewood now $400-$450 not including book!! -I can't in good conscience charge that...)

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2014, 09:10:01 AM »
To all WSI's and LTI's.

An update was emailed out by Red Cross that had a deadline of Sept 30th. I can confirm that you can still do it and I would advise anyone that has not done it yet to do so asap. This is a mandatory update so every instructor has to do it.

The LTI course has a 25 question quiz and the WSI has 10 questions. You must pass these to get the update.
I don't plan on using my LTI/WSI/LG ever again. I think I may just let this one lapse.

In NJ
Becoming a lifeguard 8 years ago I paid $300.  I bacame an instructor almost 7years ago. That costed me $275. 
Now I charge $165 for renewals and $400 for first timers. This includes book and mask. (The going rate in lakewood now $400-$450 not including book!! -I can't in good conscience charge that...)
+1 totally agree the prices nowadays are crazy.

Offline ahecht37

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2014, 09:52:54 AM »
I let mine lapse

Offline avrumy22

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2014, 10:56:42 AM »
In NJ

You took the course by Leo?? He always fumed at the prices jews are charging....

Offline avrumy22

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2014, 10:57:48 AM »
I don't plan on using my LTI/WSI/LG ever again. I think I may just let this one lapse.
 +1 totally agree the prices nowadays are crazy.

I think my days could be over as a LG but it costs me $75/y to keep my certs current so for now ill do it.

(the tests i mentioned are free)