Author Topic: Marriot Newport Coast Villas (Cat 8) & the New Waldorf Astoria Beverly Hills!  (Read 23602 times)

Offline Denverite

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile

I'm not gonna write too much on this one because you all know where Southern California is and what to do there (Disneyland, all the stuff in San Diego, etc.) BUT some things I want to point out. 

There is an awesome little market and takeout place near SNA airport called OC Kosher (https://www.ockosher.com/ and although their only seating is outside they have an extensive menu and the food (try the homemade sausages) is really good.  We always stop there for lunch on the way home from the airport, get extra takeout to heat up plus whatever else my kids want.  There is also a Trader Joes right down the street from the hotel.

The Marriott Newport Coast Villas in Orange County is possibly one of the best Marriott Cert Redemptions for a family anywhere in the continental US (there are some great villas like these in Hawaii).  It's a Cat 8 and all units are 2Brm villas so a 2brm villa is the smallest unit you can book!  The nightly rate when we stayed last month was $850 a night plus tax.  Seriously, I'm hesitant to write this because I don't want the place to turn into the Westin Lagunamar and get overrun by frum families but I'm sharing anyway.  ;D

Here are some pictures of the unit and the resort:

Living room with a very comfy and large sleeper sofa:

From the living room into the dining room and kitchen (ignore my son acting silly): :)

Second Bedroom with another sleeper sofa:

Master Bedroom (excuse the mess) and the attached soaking tub and bathroom:

Views from the lobby, walking down to the pool and pool area:

Some pictures of the grounds and activities.  Because this is a timeshare, resort property, they have SO many free activities and amenities for kids.  My youngest loved the activities room where she got to do art projects.  My older boys loved the play station.  We got to watch Start Wars in the movie theater and also went to a "Dive in Movie" at the pool one night.  The volley ball, tether ball and mini-golf courses were also fun.

All the beaches in California are public and right below the resort is Crystal Cove State park.  Since you have to pay for parking, you are better off taking the free shuttle from the hotel, that runs hourly.  It's just a great family beach and my kids really enjoyed playing there.  The resort has beach chairs, umbrellas, sand toys, frisbees, footballs, etc. for either loan or rent (all very reasonable) so you don't have to pack a thing for the kids.

Hopefully the pictures are self explanatory but if you have any questions about the place or nearby I'll do my best to answer and coming up next the truly spectacular, brand new Waldorf Astoria in Beverly Hills!

Offline Mountain Man

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
Looks great. I'm excited for the writeup on the WA BH  and pics of the rolls royce  :).
Quote from: JTZ link=topic=10531.msg1695873
If you never had to eat crow then you lived one boring life.

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Thanks for sharing this! Looks like a nice property. "Great use of Marriott cert"... although you'd first need to upgrade it to Cat 8 level. :P  What was the temp of the ocean like?

Offline Z56

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE, Hertz GP, Avis PP
thanks for sharing
“I have nothing in common with lazy people who blame others for their lack of success. Great things come from hard work

Offline davidmal

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 239
    • View Profile
Seriously, I'm hesitant to write this because I don't want the place to turn into the Westin Lagunamar and get overrun by frum families but I'm sharing anyway.  ;D
HAHA! +1
Wiki Added.
-DMC
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it ~Ferris Bueller"

Offline Geshmak25

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Food and minyanim in the area?
PUTPAC = PITA

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
Thanks for sharing this! Looks like a nice property. "Great use of Marriott cert"... although you'd first need to upgrade it to Cat 8 level. :P  What was the temp of the ocean like?

The ocean water is cold like all over the Pacific but it was hot out so my kids didn't seem to mind.  Yeah you'd have to either spend more points or buy one but you can get great deals buying one that still make it a killer deal.  When you get to the needing two hotel rooms and kitchen to placate your kids you'll appreciate it more!!  :P

Food and minyanim in the area?

Only the OC Kosher place I mentioned and also tons of kosher food at the Trader Joe's down the street.  Daily minyanim in Irvine.

Online mochjas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver

Only the OC Kosher place I mentioned and also tons of kosher food at the Trader Joe's down the street.  Daily minyanim in Irvine.
Got tons of food from OC kosher when I was in their neck of the woods and for the most part we werent happy with it

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
Got tons of food from OC kosher when I was in their neck of the woods and for the most part we werent happy with it

Really? I'm really surprised. I've been going there for years for work and family trips and have always been happy.  I especially love their homemade sausages and Deli meats.  We love the burgers and schnitzel too.  Also, since I stopped off there, I picked up frozen pizza, Wacky Mac, ramen, etc. and didn't need to bring anything from home.

Offline Geshmak25

• View Profile

What about the food at the nearby jcc?
PUTPAC = PITA

Offline thaber

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
waiting for part II..... @Denverite

Offline Dr Moose

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Looks amazing!
Hey there! I am using DansDeals Forums.

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
What about the food at the nearby jcc?

Never went there but now that I looked online, it's a cute dairy cafe with pizza and stuff and is so close to the resort!

Looks amazing!
It is a stunning resort and so fun for kids.

waiting for part II..... @Denverite

I'm purposely waiting for my friends @Mountain Man and his DW to have an awesome stay at the WA BH this weekend before I do my next post.  He and some others who've stayed there have pm'd me that they are worried (and not without good reason) that if I post how spectacular it is the DDF Mongol hoards will ruin it for everyone, so I figured the least I could do is wait a few weeks for them to enjoy it before doing that installment!  ;D

Offline thaber

• View Profile

I'm purposely waiting for my friends @Mountain Man and his DW to have an awesome stay at the WA BH this weekend before I do my next post.  He and some others who've stayed there have pm'd me that they are worried (and not without good reason) that if I post how spectacular it is the DDF Mongol hoards will ruin it for everyone, so I figured the least I could do is wait a few weeks for them to enjoy it before doing that installment!  ;D
Well, I'm waiting to book till you do, so if they write reports I'll accept that.
And, please don't take this the wrong way, but I don't think the (non existent) DDF hoards are making their decision based on your say so. The Marriott Newport Beach you have  power, WA  kind of has its own name recognition.
Looking forward!

Offline Mountain Man

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
Never went there but now that I looked online, it's a cute dairy cafe with pizza and stuff and is so close to the resort!
It is a stunning resort and so fun for kids.

Oh, you can post. It's not likely the Mongol hoard is attacking by Friday. ::)
Quote from: JTZ link=topic=10531.msg1695873
If you never had to eat crow then you lived one boring life.

Offline Torkay

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
And, please don't take this the wrong way, but I don't think the (non existent) DDF hoards are making their decision based on your say so.
Of you heard the things I've heard about this hotel you wouldn't be so confident. Just go ahead and book.

Offline thaber

• View Profile
Of you heard the things I've heard about this hotel you wouldn't be so confident. Just go ahead and book.
PM's accepted

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
Well, I'm waiting to book till you do, so if they write reports I'll accept that.
And, please don't take this the wrong way, but I don't think the (non existent) DDF hoards are making their decision based on your say so. The Marriott Newport Beach you have  power, WA  kind of has its own name recognition.
Looking forward!

It's totally not about me...it's the place...totally insane but most importantly it's about the Rolls Royce!!

+1 if any of you have been thinking of going there and are sitting on HHonors points, book it now and for a reservation as close in as possible, it's that great and I just don't see how this kind of service and these kind of perks can last when the blogosphere gets a hold of this place. 

Oh, you can post. It's not likely the Mongol hoard is attacking by Friday. ::)

Ok fine... LOL... now you outed me and I don't have any excuses!  I'll try to write it up this week.  I can't remember if I told you guys but Dr. Sandwhich is a a killer restaurant with tons of salads to choose from to go along with your basar al ha esh (real Israeli style) and within the 3 mile radius.  Yeah it's weird to pull up in the Rolls but that's half the fun!  :P

Offline thaber

• View Profile
It's totally not about me...it's the place...totally insane but most importantly it's about the Rolls Royce!!

+1 if any of you have been thinking of going there and are sitting on HHonors points, book it now and for a reservation as close in as possible, it's that great and I just don't see how this kind of service and these kind of perks can last when the blogosphere gets a hold of this place. 

Ok fine... LOL... now you outed me and I don't have any excuses!  I'll try to write it up this week.  I can't remember if I told you guys but Dr. Sandwhich is a a killer restaurant with tons of salads to choose from to go along with your basar al ha esh (real Israeli style) and within the 3 mile radius.  Yeah it's weird to pull up in the Rolls but that's half the fun! 
Also Dr sandwich is on Uber eats, which is nice. Awesome food

Offline Geshmak25

• View Profile
I don't see any award availability for the Villas for the whole 2018 calendar. Is this par for the course for Marriott?
PUTPAC = PITA