Author Topic: NJ traffic violation judge imposes higher fine  (Read 363 times)

Offline learnerearner

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
NJ traffic violation judge imposes higher fine
« on: February 21, 2024, 08:47:03 PM »
The police officer downgraded the violation from driving on the left lane and not passing to “Failure to obey signals, signs or directions” which was $55.

Originally a letter sent a letter explaining why was not guilty and then there was the hearing on zoom in which pleaded not guilty again. The judge sent it to trial where the police officer didn’t show up. The judge gave 2 choices either to adjourn it or plead guilty and pay the fine. The prosecutor couldn’t help much as the officer was not present and said it is up to judge. It was difficult since already work was taken off and had to travel far so just figured would pay the fine even though believed was not guilty. However the judge imposed a $190 penalty for wasting the courts time.

I feel she used her arbitrary power. I feel this is unfair especially when the officer didn’t show. As I saw under the law“ Any person who fails to obey the directions of a police officer or fails to obey the directional signals or signs provided hereunder shall be subject to a fine of not more than one hundred dollars ($100.00) or imprisonment for ten days in jail, or both.”

Anything to be done here?

Offline dovy2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
Re: NJ traffic violation judge imposes higher fine
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2024, 09:12:54 PM »
The police officer downgraded the violation from driving on the left lane and not passing to “Failure to obey signals, signs or directions” which was $55.

Originally a letter sent a letter explaining why was not guilty and then there was the hearing on zoom in which pleaded not guilty again. The judge sent it to trial where the police officer didn’t show up. The judge gave 2 choices either to adjourn it or plead guilty and pay the fine. The prosecutor couldn’t help much as the officer was not present and said it is up to judge. It was difficult since already work was taken off and had to travel far so just figured would pay the fine even though believed was not guilty. However the judge imposed a $190 penalty for wasting the courts time.

I feel she used her arbitrary power. I feel this is unfair especially when the officer didn’t show. As I saw under the law“ Any person who fails to obey the directions of a police officer or fails to obey the directional signals or signs provided hereunder shall be subject to a fine of not more than one hundred dollars ($100.00) or imprisonment for ten days in jail, or both.”

Anything to be done here?
Did he warn you before you about the penalty before you pleaded guilty?

Offline learnerearner

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: NJ traffic violation judge imposes higher fine
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2024, 09:19:41 PM »
Did he warn you before you about the penalty before you pleaded guilty?

No fine was only said after and was a she