Author Topic: Where are you going to watch the Total Solar Eclipse on August 21?  (Read 43575 times)

Offline JoeyShmoe

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Where are you going to watch the (Total) Solar Eclipse on August 21?
« Reply #240 on: September 08, 2017, 01:26:12 PM »
While it is pretty cool, I think they're kinda making a much bigger deal out of it than it really is. I imagine it's not that big a deal to get a picture of the ISS transiting the sun in general. True, it adds to the coolness of it that there's a partial eclipse at the time but they seem to me to be overreacting a little bit.
He goes crazy for anything NASA related (his ultimate dream is to become an astronaut), this excitement is a regular day for him :). I watched the video right when it came out, so don't quote me on it, but I believe he said that the calculation wasn't simple and it took them a while to get the precise location
DDF A-Z Link Extension
Chrome
Firefox
Info

Offline hachover

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 08, 2017, 02:22:24 PM »
Not that hard to do the calculations, and if you're patient you won't have to travel far to see a transit either.
http://transit-finder.com/

That they found a place within the path of totality that had a transit during the eclipse is kinda cool. But not really that much more interesting than transit without an eclipse. I thought it was going to show transit DURING totality which would have been extremely unique.
I'm an optimist; but only because life isn't going to give me any other good choices.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #242 on: September 08, 2017, 02:26:37 PM »
I thought it was going to show transit DURING totality which would have been extremely unique.
How would they do that without the backdrop of the sun?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline hachover

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 08, 2017, 02:31:24 PM »
How would they do that without the backdrop of the sun?

I was wondering the same. But I thought perhaps between the corona's light and Earthshine it could show up, and that made more sense to me than making a video of transit over an un-eclipsed sun (because who really cares). Then I watched the video and saw it was during partiality and ho-hum.
I'm an optimist; but only because life isn't going to give me any other good choices.

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 08, 2017, 02:48:55 PM »
While it is pretty cool, I think they're kinda making a much bigger deal out of it than it really is. I imagine it's not that big a deal to get a picture of the ISS transiting the sun in general. True, it adds to the coolness of it that there's a partial eclipse at the time but they seem to me to be overreacting a little bit.
Umm... you yourself wrote exactly why it's a big deal. They combined an fairly rare event (the occasion of a total solar eclipse) with another event that at the very least is not commonplace (ISS solar transit). This is likely the first ever time these 2 things have been photographed together, and it's very possible that they won't coincide again so soon.

They also shot shadow bands, something he talked about in past videos.
Not that hard to do the calculations, and if you're patient you won't have to travel far to see a transit either.

That they found a place within the path of totality that had a transit during the eclipse is kinda cool. But not really that much more interesting than transit without an eclipse. I thought it was going to show transit DURING totality which would have been extremely unique.
It may not be super hard to find opportunities, but I'd imagine that if you went somewhere to photograph any ISS solar transit, and you did all the calculations and prep work necessary, you'd be pretty excited if you pulled it off, even without the added excitement of the eclipse.

Offline hachover

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 08, 2017, 02:54:19 PM »
It may not be super hard to find opportunities, but I'd imagine that if you went somewhere to photograph any ISS solar transit, and you did all the calculations and prep work necessary, you'd be pretty excited if you pulled it off, even without the added excitement of the eclipse.

Totally would be, if I were the photographer.

Offline Denverite

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 08, 2017, 02:59:26 PM »

Guys, it could conceivably be easy to find but seriously that they actually made it happen and got cool videos and pictures during a once in a lifetime full eclipse over the US is AMAZING!  Maybe we're all jaded but I showed the video to my 10 yr old son (who isn't that into math and science) and he was so excited that now he wants to figure out the speed of the space station traveling and research all these other things that would normally never capture his imagination.  They caught something beautiful and also as someone who went and witnessed the eclipse it was a truly extraordinary experience and although I'm not the kind normally into nature, hiking, astronomy, I think we've become a family of "eclipse chasers" ready to find the next one!

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 04, 2017, 07:10:04 AM »
 שהחמה לוקה סימן רע לכל העולם כולו. משל למה הדבר דומה, למלך בשר ודם שעשה סעודה לעבדיו והניח פנס לפניהם. כעס עליהם ואמר לעבדו טול פנס מפניהם והושיבם בחושך...לוקה במזרח סימן רע ליושבי מזרח, במערב סימן רע ליושבי מערב, באמצע הרקיע סימן רע לכל העולם כולו" (בבלי סוכה כט א).

ובהמשך אותו קטע נמנים ארבעה חטאים שגורמים לליקוי חמה:

בשביל ארבעה דברים חמה לוקה:
על אב בית דין שמת ואינו נספדכהלכה
ועל נערה המאורסה שצעקה בעיר ואין מושיע לה
ועל משכב זכור
ועל שני אחין שנשפך דמן כאחד

עם זאת, התלמוד אינו רואה בליקוי חמה סימן ודאי לפורענות:

"ובזמן שישראל עושין רצונו של מקום אין מתייראין מכל אלו", שנאמר, "כה אמר ה': אל דרך הגוים אל תלמדו ומאותות השמים אל תחתו, כי יחתו הגוים מהמה". (ירמיהו, י', ב')" (שם)

המהר"ל, בספרו "באר הגולה", עוסק בדברי הגמרא במסכת סוכה ומעלה את השאלה כיצד ניתן לקשור את התרחשות ליקוי החמה בהתנהגות האדם, בעוד שדבר ידוע הוא שהדבר קורה ויקרה ממילא בדרך הטבע:

"וסבות אלו שנתגלו בליקוי המאורות לפי דעתם יכחיש החוש הנגלה, כי ידוע שלקות המאורות תלוי במהלך המאורות, בחבורם ובנגודם, בהתרחקם ובהתקרבם, באורך וברוחב, וא"כ איך אפשר לומר שיהיה לקות המאורות תלוי בדברים כאלו, שהאדם יודע זמן הלקות שהם על פי החשבון ואיך יתלו הלקות בחטא המעשים." (שם, הבאר השישי עמ' קו)

בתרוצו מזכיר המהר"ל את אחד מעקרונותיו החשובים - "סבת הסבה", ונדרש גם לנגזרות העולות ממנו:

"וגם דבר זה הוא טעות, שאין מדרך חכמים ז"ל להסיר הסיבה הקרובה שודאי תלוי לקות המאורות במהלך המאורות, אבל סיבת הסבה נתנו הם ז"ל. כי אם לא היה החטא בעולם לא היה דבר זה, כי אין ספק שלקות המאורות הוא פחיתות גדול וחסרון בעולם, ואם לא היה החטא נמצא בעולם לא היה סדר הבריאה נותן שיהיה לקות המאורות שהוא פחיתות וחסרון כמו שמוסכם מכל אדם... הרי שהשם יתברך סידר הנהגת העולם לפי מדריגתו ומעלתו. ומפני כי העולם שייך בו חטאים אלו, ולפיכך מתחלת בריאת העולם לא נתן השם יתברך להם אור שלא יקבל ליקוי, ובזולת חטא לא היה סדר זה. סוף סוף בשביל חטאים אלו הוא ליקוי המאורות. ואולי תאמר, אם כן מוכרח האדם לחטוא. אין זו קושיא, שאין ספק כי אין כלל העולם כולו צדיקים עד הזמן שיקוים ומל ה' אלוהיך את לבבך ואת לבב זרעך (דברים, ל') ואז לא יהיה לקות המאורות חסרון כלל, כי אז נאמר (ישעיה, כ"ד) וחפרה הלבנה ובושה החמה וגו' והיה ה' לך לאור עולם, אבל בעולם הזה אין העולם נקי מן החטא." (שם)

רבי יהונתן אייבשיץ מבאר, כי ליקוי המאורות המוזכר בתלמוד אינו מה שמכונה בימינו שהוא רק חציצה בין העולם ולא ליקוי של המאורות עצמם, אלא לכתמי השמש[7].

שד"ל טען, שהאמונה בהשפעתם של ליקויי המאורות על המציאות אינה אמונה יהודית:

"וטעם "אותות" - סימנים, ואומות העולם קראום כן, מפני שהיו מאמינים, שהם סימנים על מה שעתיד לבוא, וכמו שאמר ירמיה "כי יחתו הגוים" "מהמה". והנה ראוי היה שיאמר תחלה, "והיו לימים ושנים ולמועדים", ולבסוף יזכיר האותות שאינם אלא לפרקים, אלא שרצה להחל בגדול..., מפני שהאותות הם עיקר המכוון בחצי הפסוק הזה, כי רצה הקב"ה להודיע את ישראל, כי גם אותות השמים אינם אלא כמו הימים והשנים, כולם מסודרים ברצונו כשאר חוקות הטבע, וכמו היום והלילה וזרע וקציר וקור וחום, וכמו שהיום והלילה והקור והחום אין להם אלוה מיוחד, ואינם מודיעים העתיד לבוא; כן גם אותות השמים; ומאחר שהאמונה באותות השמים ובלקיות חמה ולבנה ללמוד מהן העתיד היתה מפורסמת אצל האומות, ומשה (ואחריו ירמיה) מרחיק הטעות הזאת, ומודיע, שהן דבר טבעי כמו הימים והשנים, הרי זו ראיה גדולה לתורה מן השמים. ואין לתמוה, למה לא רצה הקב"ה לגלות לעמו שאר שיבושים שהיו מורגלים בהם, כי שאר השיבושים לא היו מזיקים בעיקרי האמונה ולא בתיקון המידות, מה שאין כן האמונה באותות השמים, שהיא מזקת כאמונת הניחושים וחברותיה שאסרה תורה, כי תרפה ידי האדם בעבודתו אשר הוא עמל, ותמלא לבו הבל ותסיר בטחונו
מהאל" (שד"ל על בראשית, א').

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/10/03/storms-quakes-fires-korea-and-now-vegas-shooting-whats-next/725889001/

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile

Offline hachover

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 08, 2017, 08:56:17 AM »

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: October 08, 2017, 09:32:59 AM »

Is this you David Meade?
+Trump "only one thing will work" "calm before the storm"

Hello? Wake up!

Offline hachover

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 08, 2017, 10:27:47 AM »
+Trump "only one thing will work" "calm before the storm"

Hello? Wake up!

:o so you are that guy? To be clear, I think he's a nut, and I was drawing a parallel between his claims and yours

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 08, 2017, 10:47:07 AM »
:o so you are that guy? To be clear, I think he's a nut, and I was drawing a parallel between his claims and yours
No parallel at all. I'm not making claims. Just presenting a series of unfortunate events that have taken place since the siman ra, with no positive events on the horizon either.

Pretty bad times. The USA really should stop with the MZ fascination etc.

Offline hachover

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 08, 2017, 12:44:51 PM »
No parallel at all. I'm not making claims. Just presenting a series of unfortunate events that have taken place since the siman ra, with no positive events on the horizon either.

Pretty bad times. The USA really should stop with the MZ fascination etc.

What are some positive events that you hope to see and are not? Sunrise every day, crops growing, children being born, curing diseases, etc are not happening anymore? What is the opposite of a 'natural disaster'?

Do negative events like these not happen all the time? Were the tsunamis and katrina and earthquakes in italy of last decade not as bad? Is this the first time a senseless mass murder happened?

I absolutely agree with you that there is plenty of reason to call these days 'bad times'. But the only way you can pretend that whats happening is not natural occurances is if you are too young to have seen this before or if you have an agenda (like that nutcase). More often than not yidden believed that they were living in bad times. FTR, we have a havtocho since Noach that the world is not ending.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 08, 2017, 01:36:57 PM »
What are some positive events that you hope to see and are not? Sunrise every day, crops growing, children being born, curing diseases, etc are not happening anymore? What is the opposite of a 'natural disaster'?

Do negative events like these not happen all the time? Were the tsunamis and katrina and earthquakes in italy of last decade not as bad? Is this the first time a senseless mass murder happened?

I absolutely agree with you that there is plenty of reason to call these days 'bad times'. But the only way you can pretend that whats happening is not natural occurances is if you are too young to have seen this before or if you have an agenda (like that nutcase). More often than not yidden believed that they were living in bad times. FTR, we have a havtocho since Noach that the world is not ending.
You contradict yourself. These are bad times. And we believe that good and bad times are not random.

Offline hachover

• View Profile
« Reply #255 on: October 08, 2017, 03:14:43 PM »
Total eclipses happen roughly every 2 years, so definitely not random. So I guess its always bad times for people of your belief system.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 08, 2017, 03:22:33 PM »

Total eclipses happen roughly every 2 years, so definitely not random. So I guess its always bad times for people of your belief system.

Not in the USA

Offline hachover

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 08, 2017, 03:23:54 PM »
The gemara is not meant to turn us into superstitious pagans. Men darf hubbin a rebbi

Offline hachover

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 08, 2017, 03:25:17 PM »

Not in the USA

When the eclipse happens in the center of the sky somewhere else, is it not a siman ra for the whole world?

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 08, 2017, 08:24:12 PM »
When the eclipse happens in the center of the sky somewhere else, is it not a siman ra for the whole world?
Don't know.
I do know that the eclipse recently was a big deal so obviously it's more than what happens every two years..