Author Topic: Turkish Airlines with stopover in Istanbul  (Read 4228 times)

Offline blerbz

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Turkish Airlines with stopover in Istanbul
« on: August 17, 2017, 03:50:31 PM »
JFK - IST - TLV on Turkish Airlines
Flight scheduled to leave JFK 11:40 pm. Got email (not from Turkish but from checkmytrip) that flight delayed to 11:55. Came to airport and checked in. Turkish is very particlar about weight but didn't care about size for luggage.
They also weigh all wheeled carry on (8 lb limit) but not knapsack. So I put am empty knapsack in a wheeled carry one. When it was time to weigh I took all the heavy things and put in knapsack. After they weighed the carry on and put an "accepted" tag on it, I put it all back in the carry on so didn't need to shlep a knapsack also.
Went to Air France Lounge using Priority Pass which is only open for Priority Pass in off hours which was fine for this flight. They only let Priority Pass users on the first floor. Lounge is nice but was very full with Priority Pass ppl. They have lots of not kosher fresh food, and Lay's chips, some fresh uncut apples, free alcohol (nothing fancy but Johnny Walker, Dewar, a few others, wine, lots of beer - Sam Adam's, Corona and more), cans of soda, and some fruit drinks, some kosher, free newspapers, and lots of charging outlets. There was also a shower and some ppl were getting towels from the front desk but I didn't check it out and not sure if available for Priority Pass.
Flight left 2 1/4 hrs late. Pleasant flight, they gave out packet with eye shades, foam slippers, socks, earplugs, toothbrush, toothpaste, and ear plugs. Seemed to be a wide selection of things to watch as well as games. They have the Quran translated audio book and also show which direction is Mecca and what time for all the (5?) prayers. (see pic) Which was interesting because it seemed unsurprisingly to match up in part with the davening times I got from myZmanim.com. There was also a camera view facing forward from the plane as well as down which was cool if you don't have a window seat. Seats were average size/comfort.
For those  still concerned even tho tons of ppl have not had issues , there were a few frum ppl on plane but not a lot. Lots of clearly identifiable Muslims although I didn't see any issues and I put on talis/tefillin in my seat. I wanted the guy sitting next to before I put it on, an he didn't care, Sai he's Muslim and will be praying soon too. I was thinking we should start a minyan and I've always been itching to try out one of those cool looking prayer mats...
We arrived in Istanbul too late for the connection to TLV. There was a flight shortly thereafter that had a few extra seats and some ppl who rushed were able to get boarding passes for that. I got lost and finally made it to where I needed to go, but too late. I'm terrible with directions but if you're in his situation it would be really helpful to know how to get to the proper place. It's called the Transfer Desk and there's a separate one for Turkish Airlines International flights. They kept saying it was by Gate 214 but that's only partly true. Near Gate 214 you have to find signs for transfer desk and then take the elevator down one flight and follow signs for transfer desk. The elevator is right by the Food Court area l. I went down the escalator instead (because the elevator is tucked away on he side) so if you see the escalator down to the Lounge (I don't remember which one but think it was Primeclass CIP) then it's immediately to your left before going down the escalator. Turkish has a customer service desk near Gate 218 but they said they only give out meal vouchers so wasted time even tho that's where I was first directed.
Tons of interestingly dressed ppl from all over that we don't see even in NY. I didn't feel uncomfortable but I tried at least a bit to not look obviously Jewish. The Lounges are nice but crowded. Have lots of outlets for charging but I forgot to  bring Israeli type outlet adapter.

Offline outinstyle

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Turkish Airlines with stopover in Istanbul
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 04:00:05 PM »
"Pleasant flight, they gave out packet with eye shades, foam slippers, socks, earplugs, toothbrush, toothpaste, and ear plugs"
Is that I'm coach?
I don't notice which cabin you were in from the post.. Sorry.
Flying Turkish on Sunday

Offline outinstyle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 04:00:59 PM »
* is that in coach?

Offline HKFS

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 04:10:04 PM »
Nice Flight Report!

Offline nafnaf12

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 04:31:04 PM »
"Pleasant flight, they gave out packet with eye shades, foam slippers, socks, earplugs, toothbrush, toothpaste, and ear plugs"
Is that I'm coach?
Flying Turkish on Sunday
yes
A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

Offline grodnoking

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 05:48:09 PM »
Flight scheduled to leave JFK 11:40 pm. Got email (not from Turkish but from checkmytrip) that flight delayed to 11:55. Came to airport and checked in. Turkish is very particlar about weight but didn't care about size for luggage.
They also weigh all wheeled carry on (8 lb limit) but not knapsack. So I put am empty knapsack in a wheeled carry one. When it was time to weigh I took all the heavy things and put in knapsack. After they weighed the carry on and put an "accepted" tag on it, I put it all back in the carry on so didn't need to shlep a knapsack also.
Went to Air France Lounge using Priority Pass which is only open for Priority Pass in off hours which was fine for this flight. They only let Priority Pass users on the first floor. Lounge is nice but was very full with Priority Pass ppl. They have lots of not kosher fresh food, and Lay's chips, some fresh uncut apples, free alcohol (nothing fancy but Johnny Walker, Dewar, a few others, wine, lots of beer - Sam Adam's, Corona and more), cans of soda, and some fruit drinks, some kosher, free newspapers, and lots of charging outlets. There was also a shower and some ppl were getting towels from the front desk but I didn't check it out and not sure if available for Priority Pass.
Flight left 2 1/4 hrs late. Pleasant flight, they gave out packet with eye shades, foam slippers, socks, earplugs, toothbrush, toothpaste, and ear plugs. Seemed to be a wide selection of things to watch as well as games. They have the Quran translated audio book and also show which direction is Mecca and what time for all the (5?) prayers. (see pic) Which was interesting because it seemed unsurprisingly to match up in part with the davening times I got from myZmanim.com. There was also a camera view facing forward from the plane as well as down which was cool if you don't have a window seat. Seats were average size/comfort.
For those  still concerned even tho tons of ppl have not had issues , there were a few frum ppl on plane but not a lot. Lots of clearly identifiable Muslims although I didn't see any issues and I put on talis/tefillin in my seat. I wanted the guy sitting next to before I put it on, an he didn't care, Sai he's Muslim and will be praying soon too. I was thinking we should start a minyan and I've always been itching to try out one of those cool looking prayer mats...
We arrived in Istanbul too late for the connection to TLV. There was a flight shortly thereafter that had a few extra seats and some ppl who rushed were able to get boarding passes for that. I got lost and finally made it to where I needed to go, but too late. I'm terrible with directions but if you're in his situation it would be really helpful to know how to get to the proper place. It's called the Transfer Desk and there's a separate one for Turkish Airlines International flights. They kept saying it was by Gate 214 but that's only partly true. Near Gate 214 you have to find signs for transfer desk and then take the elevator down one flight and follow signs for transfer desk. The elevator is right by the Food Court area l. I went down the escalator instead (because the elevator is tucked away on he side) so if you see the escalator down to the Lounge (I don't remember which one but think it was Primeclass CIP) then it's immediately to your left before going down the escalator. Turkish has a customer service desk near Gate 218 but they said they only give out meal vouchers so wasted time even tho that's where I was first directed.
Tons of interestingly dressed ppl from all over that we don't see even in NY. I didn't feel uncomfortable but I tried at least a bit to not look obviously Jewish. The Lounges are nice but crowded. Have lots of outlets for charging but I forgot to  bring Israeli type outlet adapter.
How long was your stopover in Istanbul? (How long did you need to wait from when you landed till you got on the next flight?)
I'm not who you think I am.

Online mochjas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 06:25:37 PM »
pictures look a little ( I dont know what word to use) not scary but the next level under that

Offline blerbz

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 08:36:28 PM »
Coach. Stopover instead of 1.5hr was appx 6 all told cuz second flight was also delayed. As far as the pics I really as walking around a lot and shared the most different. Tons of more average looking ppl

Offline blerbz

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 08:37:29 PM »
Nice Flight Report!
Thx.before I went I kept looking for detailed stuff and just heard that everyone was happy but not really detailed. Hope this fills a gap

Offline blerbz

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 08:41:36 PM »
Also couldn't figure out how to label the pics when posted so here it is: first pic is HSBC lounge in Istanbul, 2nd and 3rd are in IST Airport, 4th is on flight JFK - IST, last 2 are Air France lounge in JFK

Offline outinstyle

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 10:29:48 PM »
"When it was time to weigh I took all the heavy things and put in knapsack. After they weighed the carry on and put an "accepted" tag on it.."

At what point do they weigh the carry-ons?

At regular luggage check-in or later by the gate?

Offline blerbz

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 09:17:43 AM »
"When it was time to weigh I took all the heavy things and put in knapsack. After they weighed the carry on and put an "accepted" tag on it.."

At what point do they weigh the carry-ons?

At regular luggage check-in or later by the gate?
At regular luggage check

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 11:37:24 AM »
Is that I'm coach?
Flying Turkish on Sunday
Sounds quite obvious from the fact that used Priority Pass. Business class would have given full lounge access.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Luvisrael

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2019, 11:23:58 PM »
People fly this route all the time, yet from the looks of these pics, I honestly feel like I would be uncomfortable (beside for my wife freaking out)

Offline blerbz

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2019, 12:27:00 AM »
There must have been some major religious event/pilgrimage somewhere. On the return flight it looked much more like a regular airport

Offline ckmk47

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2019, 12:43:14 AM »
grodnoking,
outinstyle,
Luvisrael,
Don't quote such a long post!! Please.  You're cramping my scroll finger!

Do something like this:

JFK - IST - TLV on Turkish Airlines .......
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline Luvisrael

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2019, 12:47:18 AM »
grodnoking,
outinstyle,
Luvisrael,

Do something like this:
u cud use sidebar and move with hand

Offline grodnoking

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2019, 01:10:28 AM »
People fly this route all the time, yet from the looks of these pics, I honestly feel like I would be uncomfortable (beside for my wife freaking out)
Definitely not normal. I've been there 4 times and it does not normally look that "religious "
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline ludmila

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum,SPG Platinum.
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2019, 02:39:58 AM »
There must have been some major religious event/pilgrimage somewhere. On the return flight it looked much more like a regular airport
Pilgrimage to Mecca?
I was the Best,still the Best, and will always be the Best.
Pele Good,Maradona Better, George Best.

Online mochjas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2019, 02:07:53 PM »
grodnoking,
outinstyle,
Luvisrael,

Do something like this:
yes it is very annoying