Poll

Title

Nightmare On Iberia Airlines: Kids Forced Off Plane In Spain
36 (59%)
The Kids In Spain Are Left Off The Plane: A Nightmare With Iberia Airlines
25 (41%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Author Topic: Has This Ever Happened To You With IBeria Airlines-Minors Bumped?  (Read 86473 times)

Offline flyingace

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Has This Ever Happened To You With IBeria Airlines-Minors Bumped?
« Reply #260 on: September 05, 2017, 10:39:30 PM »
"there is nothing against the law preventing minors from being bumped off a flight"
This doesn't sound right... It is not against the law to bump minors off a flight, or the law does not prohibit bumping minors off a flight, maybe?

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #261 on: September 05, 2017, 10:42:31 PM »
Maybe point out, as Ms. Addi said, if they were not old enough to receive a check, they certainly weren't old enough to be bumped

Like.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #262 on: September 05, 2017, 10:55:29 PM »
While it raises all the issues I felt that it didn't bring enough outrage to the fact that they simply bumped the kids I'm a foreign City for hours.

perhaps add the hotel pic.

Lastly I think that a tweet along with pic and headline will be tool to become viral
This. It is missing the entire trauma of being alone in a foreign city.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #263 on: September 05, 2017, 10:58:12 PM »
Iberia Forces 3 Kids Flying Alone From Miami To Tel Aviv Off Their Plane In Spain

Way too wordy and convoluted. Someone seeing the headline without knowing the story would need to read it three times to make heads and tails out of it. I like our suggestions better :P.

Ms. Addi asked the gate agent how she could bump 3 children

Wording seems way too soft. The tone should be incredulous, not blase; this isn't about the weather.

and that there is nothing against the law preventing minors from being bumped off a flight.

Should be "and there is no law preventing minors..."

When Ms. Addi asked the gate agent to put aside the law aside and have some compassion

As per the preceding sentence there is no law at play here, so there is no law to be "put aside" (and definitely not put aside twice :P).

A better way of putting it would be "Ms. Addi asked the gate agent to forget about laws and have some compassion"

” I cannot speak to your mother”

Extra space after the first quotation mark.

The kids were sent to a customer service desk and given a hotel voucher, but were told they couldn’t receive any a check for compensation on the spot as they were all under 18.

Neither Ms. Addi, who was in Israel, nor her 17 year old daughter, who was in a Madrid hotel room, got any sleep due to their anxiety about the situation. Iberia in Tel Aviv said they were not able to handle any compensation issues.

You're mixing up the hotel/anxiety issue and compensation issue here. In addition, the most egregious part of the whole story isn't given enough attention IMO. Here's how I would write these two paragraphs:

The kids were sent to a customer service desk, and given a hotel voucher and nothing else. Iberia left the three young children and teens all alone in a strange city. Neither Ms. Addi, who was in Israel, nor her 17 year old daughter, who was in a Madrid hotel room, were able to sleep a wink due to their anxiety over the situation.

According to both EU and Israeli law, all three passengers are entitled to compensation for involuntary bumping. But the customer service desk in Madrid claimed they couldn't issue a check since they were all under 18, while Iberia in Tel Aviv simply said they were not able to handle any compensation issues.

I waited a week for Iberia to investigate the issue and they finally replied with the following,

Needs a colon, not a comma.

Perhaps the law doesn’t prohibit minors from being bumped, but what about common sense and decency? Why were other passengers not solicited or bumped instead of 3 children in a foreign country?

Again, I feel that the most important bit is being under-represented. Maybe add another question, something to the effect of "Was Iberia willing to accept the responsibility if something, God forbid, happened to these kids?"

That is the most mind-boggling part of this story, IMO. Just taking three minors and leaving them alone in a strange city where they don't even know the language. A trained ape would be able to comprehend the absurdity and irresponsibility of such a thing.

Also, and this is a more general comment, quotes look pretty weird on the new site. The center alignment doesn't fit the rest of the page, the paragraphs are spaced way too much. It would look much better in a more compact form, maybe even on a slightly shaded field (similar to the old site, if I may bring that up ;D).
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 11:01:29 PM by Something Fishy »
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Online ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #264 on: September 05, 2017, 11:01:49 PM »
Thoughts?
https://www.dansdeals.com/points-travel/airlines/airline-news/iberia-forces-3-kids-flying-alone-miami-tel-aviv-off-plane-spain/

Not on home page yet, please don't share the link.
My .02:

Iberia response appears centered (at least on mobile) looks weird.

Maybe there should be a summary pointing out Iberia's 3 failures: check-in at MIA not issuing boarding passes for MAD-TLV segment, gate crew at MAD bumping minors and sticking to the rules rather than using common sense and refusing to talk to a responsible adult about the situation, Iberia not owning up to their mistakes.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #265 on: September 05, 2017, 11:05:43 PM »

refusing to talk to a responsible adult about the situation, Iberia not owning up to their mistakes.
Very good point. Here they were refusing to talk to their parent.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #266 on: September 05, 2017, 11:08:47 PM »
Agree with all of SF's comments.

A few minor points regarding the Israeli law:

Amount is indexed for inflation. IINM it's a little more than 3,000 ILS currently. (BTW - how dare Iberia ignore this, it must also be paid promptly).

Law also has provisions regarding arranging and paying for stranded passenger communications with their home.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline mmgfarb

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 05, 2017, 11:19:08 PM »
IMO the post is a little underwhelming, I don't think it will illicit a lot of emotion out of readers who weren't following this thread. I agree with the things SF said, you have to emphasize all the things that Iberia did wrong here and the absurdity of the situation. A summary of all these at the end with a follow up sentence or two to really pack it home would also be good.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline Jm1248

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 05, 2017, 11:38:32 PM »
IMO the post is a little underwhelming, I don't think it will illicit a lot of emotion out of readers who weren't following this thread. I agree with the things SF said, you have to emphasize all the things that Iberia did wrong here and the absurdity of the situation. A summary of all these at the end with a follow up sentence or two to really pack it home would also be good.
+1 I think the post needs to sound more outraged about the horrified mother staying awake all night not knowing if her three children are safe in a foreign country.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #270 on: September 05, 2017, 11:48:01 PM »
Updated: https://www.dansdeals.com/points-travel/airlines/airline-news/iberia-forces-3-kids-flying-alone-miami-tel-aviv-off-plane-spain/
You may need to browse incognito to view the latest version.

Waaay better. The title is still too tortured IMO, but the overall article sounds goon now I think.

Also, this should probably be reworded now that you've expounded on both EU and Israeli laws:

It seemed like the family is owed 9,000 Israeli Shekels under Israeli law, why are they receiving a run-around?
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline tageed-lee

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 73
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 05, 2017, 11:48:06 PM »
Updated

Amazing! Much better now...

It stresses the important aspects properly, and clearly portrays the severity.

Offline chff

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #272 on: September 05, 2017, 11:49:27 PM »
The three customers are also entitled to a compensation of 600€ per person. According to our records, the compensation wasn’t denied, but we have already issued an electronic-voucher to pay it. My colleagues in the Customer Service department are going to contact the customers to explain them how to proceed to receive the compensation.

Not sure if this was mentioned here or I don't understand their terms, but the comp needs to be by law cash/check not a voucher for future use

Offline Mordyk

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #273 on: September 05, 2017, 11:50:30 PM »
Thoughts?
https://www.dansdeals.com/points-travel/airlines/airline-news/iberia-forces-3-kids-flying-alone-miami-tel-aviv-off-plane-spain/

Not on home page yet, please don't share the link.
I have been following this thread from the beginning, so i followed the progression of the story, but i think the article elaborates too much before getting to the point. But the point was written very strongly!
#TYH

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 05, 2017, 11:51:49 PM »
but Iberia’s response did not address how it could be possible that they minors could have been the last to check-in for the Madrid-Tel Aviv
Should be "the".
I think the new post is much better. Maybe add the fact that there's no way their bags could have been checked through to a destination that they weren't checked in for yet.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline SearchGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 05, 2017, 11:53:10 PM »
Title in short: "Iberia abandons 3 minors in connection in Spain"

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #276 on: September 05, 2017, 11:55:15 PM »
Maybe add the fact that there's no way their bags could have been checked through to a destination that they weren't checked in for yet.
I'm not sure that's true.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 05, 2017, 11:56:09 PM »
I'm not sure that's true.
On second thought, you may be right.

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 05, 2017, 11:58:27 PM »
One comment

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 05, 2017, 11:58:35 PM »
Like one of these better?

Nightmare On Iberia: The Kids In Spain Are Forced Off The Plane

The Kids In Spain Are Forced Off The Plane: A Nightmare With Iberia

The Kids In Spain Are Forced Off The Plane: A Nightmare On Iberia