Author Topic: Airberlin filed for insolvency  (Read 11478 times)

Offline chff

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
Re: Airberlin filed for insolvency
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2017, 03:07:35 PM »
On August 14, 2017, Air Berlin (AB/745) filed to commence insolvency proceedings in Germany. Subsequently, on August 18, 2017, an ancillary proceeding was filed under Chapter 15 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code for Recognition of the Foreign Proceeding in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in the Southern District of New York, Case Number 17-12282.

Air Berlin has notified ARC that refunds can no longer be processed via the GDSs or ARC. Instead, Air Berlin requests agents to process refunds according to their instructions below: 

All Air Berlin tickets issued before August 15, 2017, are no longer refundable due to German insolvency regulations
For tickets issued on or after August 15, 2017, that were paid for using a credit card, please contact Air Berlin’s Service Center at +1-855-420-0614 or email: sales@airberlin.com
For tickets issued on or after August 15, 2017 that were paid for in cash (or any other form of payment), please contact Air Berlin’s Help Desk at iata@airberlin.com
Note: Customers who paid for tickets with a credit card may also contact the issuer of the credit card to review potential options.

For more information, please see “Questions and Answers about the Current Situation at Air Berlin.”

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2017, 03:49:43 PM »
On August 14, 2017, Air Berlin (AB/745) filed to commence insolvency proceedings in Germany. Subsequently, on August 18, 2017, an ancillary proceeding was filed under Chapter 15 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code for Recognition of the Foreign Proceeding in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in the Southern District of New York, Case Number 17-12282.

Air Berlin has notified ARC that refunds can no longer be processed via the GDSs or ARC. Instead, Air Berlin requests agents to process refunds according to their instructions below: 

All Air Berlin tickets issued before August 15, 2017, are no longer refundable due to German insolvency regulations
For tickets issued on or after August 15, 2017, that were paid for using a credit card, please contact Air Berlin’s Service Center at +1-855-420-0614 or email: sales@airberlin.com
For tickets issued on or after August 15, 2017 that were paid for in cash (or any other form of payment), please contact Air Berlin’s Help Desk at iata@airberlin.com
Note: Customers who paid for tickets with a credit card may also contact the issuer of the credit card to review potential options.

For more information, please see “Questions and Answers about the Current Situation at Air Berlin.”

Almost exactly what I said above in 3 short words.

Bankruptcy court.
CC.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2017, 03:55:43 PM »
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline yandmk

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2017, 04:05:57 PM »
I just spoke to Air Berlin on the phone, and they said that flights to the US will end Oct 1 (not Sep 25 as previously reported here). I asked her about existing reservations, and she said that at the end of next week, they will send an email to all affected notifying them which airline they will be reprotected on. I asked which airlines are possibilities, to which she answered, "we are currently in talks with Lufthansa, American, British, Etihad, Qantas and (Qatar IIRC)". She said they will rebook everyone for the same day they were scheduled, and they will try their best that the timing should be as close as possible to their original flight plans.
So far, it's looking pretty good for all those who bought the cheap tickets with them...

Offline elya

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2017, 04:18:48 PM »
I just spoke to Air Berlin on the phone, and they said that flights to the US will end Oct 1 (not Sep 25 as previously reported here). I asked her about existing reservations, and she said that at the end of next week, they will send an email to all affected notifying them which airline they will be reprotected on. I asked which airlines are possibilities, to which she answered, "we are currently in talks with Lufthansa, American, British, Etihad, Qantas and (Qatar IIRC)". She said they will rebook everyone for the same day they were scheduled, and they will try their best that the timing should be as close as possible to their original flight plans.
So far, it's looking pretty good for all those who bought the cheap tickets with them...
Just out of curiosity, what's pushing them to rebook the passengers?

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2017, 05:14:57 PM »
Just out of curiosity, what's pushing them to rebook the passengers?
They are not ceasing all their operations (yet) just long-haul. It's also good practice for the industry. (similar to how insurers step in to take over the business of insolvent insurance companies).
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2017, 05:50:19 PM »

Thanks for reporting back. Booked someone a ticket home for Sukkos from Israel and was unsure.
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. –J. Paul Getty

Offline yandmk

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2017, 06:27:24 PM »
Actually there may be some credibility to the rumor of Sep 25, because on airberlin.com starting from Sep 25, they are only selling full fare - fully refundable tickets to NY. And through Sep 24, there are options for discounted fares.
She may have meant that ALL flights to the US will end by Oct 1, but some may be earlier...

Offline chinagel

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2017, 08:36:35 PM »
any chance a flight booked jan. 3rd will at least get rebooked on a different airline?

Offline shulemw

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2017, 09:39:35 PM »
as per a Air Berlin rep everybody will be rebooked on a other airline
till sep 15 you can give in a bid to buy them so till then they are negotiating
after sep 15 they will have a plan where to put all reservations
as per the rep most probably on lufthansa and american airlines

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2017, 09:49:03 PM »
Bankruptcy court.
CC.
It seems like it would be pretty simple to dispute with bankruptcy

Offline ar

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2017, 01:46:03 AM »
Any updates?

Offline elimmm

• View Profile

Offline Joshua

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2017, 08:54:18 PM »
Does anyone think if I dispute the charge on the basis that air berlin is going bankrupt and I am concerned about my flight being cancelled would the cc side with me?

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2017, 01:43:43 AM »
Does anyone think if I dispute the charge on the basis that air berlin is going bankrupt and I am concerned about my flight being cancelled would the cc side with me?
From my understanding it should be pretty simple.

Offline elimmm

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2017, 02:07:27 AM »
pretty simple- if flight WAS CANCELLED
if you are just concerned that it may be cancelled- not as simple, but good chance, especially if you say that the customer svc is being vague and unresponsive.

please try and let us know!
as far as i understand: if it gets cancelled later, you can always add that info to your claim, so u dont really lose by starting now

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline yandmk

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2017, 02:36:50 PM »
Did you try asking AB for a refund? Why start with a dispute if they are likely to refund it without that?

Offline Joshua

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2017, 03:01:36 PM »
Did you try asking AB for a refund? Why start with a dispute if they are likely to refund it without that?
They probably will not refund me and say everything is on schedule, but I cant make travel plans if two days before trip they cancel me or even worse id I already flew one way the cancel

Offline yandmk

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2017, 03:10:03 PM »
They probably will not refund me and say everything is on schedule, but I cant make travel plans if two days before trip they cancel me or even worse id I already flew one way the cancel
You really think they're stupid? They aren't denying anything (I spoke to them). They know better than you what's going on. Just ask! No reason to start a mess if you can try the easy way first.