Author Topic: Do all these Credit Cards ruin your credit?  (Read 5250 times)

Offline JS69

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Do all these Credit Cards ruin your credit?
« on: June 22, 2011, 04:17:50 PM »
I have been a lurker here for a while and the thing I am trying to figure out is how anyone here who takes advantage of all these CC deals have good credit? One thing that is constantly told to me is when you cancel a CC your credit score goes down.

Can someone who has done multiple CC offers from this sight tell me what kind of credit they have?

Thansk

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Do all these Credit Cards ruin your credit?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 04:25:14 PM »
Do a search for credit score it should be within sight :P and you will find a thread about it.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 04:25:51 PM »
I have been a lurker here for a while and the thing I am trying to figure out is how anyone here who takes advantage of all these CC deals have good credit? One thing that is constantly told to me is when you cancel a CC your credit score goes down.

Can someone who has done multiple CC offers from this sight tell me what kind of credit they have?

Thansk

Welcome to the forums!

Do some Googling on credit score factors, there are some good overviews out there. There are many factors to a credit score, and simply applying for a few cards won't hurt your score much (a 4-8 point ding per credit pull IME), and your score will recover within 3-6 months. The triple browser method should help you mitigate those pulls.

Now, there are other factors which might ruin your score, such as if you use too much of your credit, or if you have so many cards that you forget to pay your bill on time etc. But to answer your question, the hit from simply opening new cards is negligible. If you slowly build up your credit, you'll soon be able to apply for lots of cards and build up a nice mileage portfolio, as many here have done.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Fan of Dan

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 01:24:03 AM »
Credit score aside I wonder if opening and closing a lot of cards makes you look like someone who likes to take advantage of companies etc. and plays games and if that can affect getting a mortgage?
Do they do these type of character checks? Can they even see all the cards I may have churned? 

Offline Smokey Joe Robinson

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, Club Carlson Gold Elite, Best Western Diamond Elite, Marriott Rewards Silver, Hertz President's Circle, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, United Premier Silver
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 01:25:53 AM »
Credit score aside I wonder if opening and closing a lot of cards makes you look like someone who likes to take advantage of companies etc. and plays games and if that can affect getting a mortgage?
Do they do these type of character checks? Can they even see all the cards I may have churned?
If youre looking for a house and are possibly within 6 months of a mortgage you should not be here. Not that we dont love you, but youre definitely affecting your future mortgage.
My Programs Are Listed So That I Don't Forget Them :)

Offline LAXtraveler

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis Preferred, National Executive, Hertz #1 Club Gold
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 02:22:17 AM »
If youre looking for a house and are possibly within 6 months of a mortgage you should not be here. Not that we dont love you, but youre definitely affecting your future mortgage.

Would you say the same thing about looking for good financing/leasing on a car?

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, Club Carlson Gold Elite, Best Western Diamond Elite, Marriott Rewards Silver, Hertz President's Circle, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, United Premier Silver
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 02:27:47 AM »
I have heard similar said for an auto loan...but I cant imagine it being as severe as for a mortgage.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 02:29:04 AM »
I don't think anyone here has more cards that I do and I got top rates from mortgage and car financing without ever slowing down my churns.

My score/report was top-notch according to everyone I spoke to.
No concerns over the number of accounts.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 02:32:23 AM »
I don't think anyone here has more cards that I do and I got top rates from mortgage and car financing without ever slowing down my churns.

My score/report was top-notch according to everyone I spoke to.
No concerns over the number of accounts.
Dan, I would have to say your the exception to the rule...We dont know what goes on behind closed doors, but Im thinking some sort of secret Credit Card mileage secure center blanketed in state of art -ok im getting carried away- but you get my point. You have much more experience than any of us.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 02:34:05 AM »
At the end of the day, you have to decide if its worth the risk. Theres definitely no guarantees in this business. As they say YMMV.

Offline 3ZeroT

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 12:33:58 PM »
One unique thing about AMEX in my experience: when you open a new CC account they seem to report the account as being opened on the date of the oldest/previous card with them.  That really helps the situation considering all the AMEX churning done on this forum  8)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 12:35:01 PM »
One unique thing about AMEX in my experience: when you open a new CC account they seem to report the account as being opened on the date of the oldest/previous card with them.  That really helps the situation considering all the AMEX churning done on this forum  8)

I haven't noticed this, but it definitely helps with the average age of your accounts.

Offline LAXtraveler

• View Profile
  • Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis Preferred, National Executive, Hertz #1 Club Gold
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 12:51:39 PM »
I haven't noticed this, but it definitely helps with the average age of your accounts.

I notice it. When I became an AU some time ago on someone else's AMEX I picked up years and years worth of "average credit history" length because I was connected to their card.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 12:54:11 PM »
I notice it. When I became an AU some time ago on someone else's AMEX I picked up years and years worth of "average credit history" length because I was connected to their card.

Amex definitely doesn't do this for me, I just checked.

Offline LAXtraveler

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 12:56:32 PM »

Weird, I wonder why its different for different people.

Offline azhoopsfan

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 01:25:20 PM »
The last time I applied for car lease they said they pull the scores from all three agencies and use the middle number.  So if all your pulls are from Experian, your other two scores would be unaffected by the applications and it would have no effect on your ability to get the best rate. 

That being said, wife and I have gotten over 35 cards in the last year and still have great credit with all three agencies. 

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 01:34:52 PM »
In OH they just pulled one score for financing.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline dans fan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 02:03:39 PM »
it cannot affect you for a mortgage or car finance it can affect you with that cc company when they do a internal search
Dan, I would have to say your the exception to the rule...We dont know what goes on behind closed doors, but Im thinking some sort of secret Credit Card mileage secure center blanketed in state of art -ok im getting carried away- but you get my point. You have much more experience than any of us.
he is not a exception (in referance to this at least)
not always. usally
they do. i think it goes as far back as the last card issued for that acc ( new card when old expires) sometimes as far back as the opening of the acc

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2011, 02:32:27 PM »
it cannot affect you for a mortgage or car finance it can affect you with that cc company when they do a internal searchhe is not a exception (in referance to this at least)not always. usallythey do. i think it goes as far back as the last card issued for that acc ( new card when old expires) sometimes as far back as the opening of the acc

Wrong Quote, cant figure out how to get all of them in here......Anyways, I agree that what I said is not guaranteed, and therefore retract my earlier statements; I didnt not read the post completely; he asks in regards to opening and closing, not score. I was sleep ddfing  :P
However i do believe a bank has full access to your credit reports and history and being that bankers are people and make their own decisions based on assumptions, it may affect you somewhat. And just because Dan didnt have an issue doesn't mean others won't, I just personally feel that for a few Ks its not worth possibly ruining your mortgage, unless you really know what youre doing (like Dan does-hence exception-not literal just an expression) Perhaps wait till after your mortgage?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 02:40:10 PM by Smokey Joe Robinson »

Offline 3ZeroT

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2011, 03:10:08 PM »
One other aspect I'm not sure has been discussed here is there are 'other' reporting agencies besides the big 3 that track additional information about your credit risk, and excessive credit applications / churning can definitely get you denied.   Fortunately these aren't commonly used (yet), but Advanced Resolution Services (ARS) is one of the reporting agencies and is used by US Bank.  It prevented me from getting their 0% no fee card offers until I finally froze my ARS report and then had no problem.