Author Topic: Hairgate  (Read 31933 times)

Offline jackofall

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Hairgate
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2017, 11:22:24 PM »
The one thing we all can agree on is that this crazy mindset that our generation has that every stupid thing that arrives on your phone needs to be shared with all contacts and groups. Absolutely ridiculous! Needs to change. 
If you focus on being a boss, you will never be a leader. Leaders lead people to growth and improvement.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2017, 11:23:42 PM »
could it possibly be that things like lining them up and measuring their hair are responsible for that
Yes if not explained properly
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Pesach

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2017, 11:26:20 PM »
https://www.theyeshivaworld.com/news/general/1353666/mailbag-hair-measuring.html
could always count on you to start something negative. why are you always so bitter and pessimistic?

Offline hvaces42

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2017, 11:42:34 PM »
1. I posted it in the interesting article thread...without comment. I had no intention to start a new thread. That was done by a mod.
2. Why does posting this particular article make me bitter and pessimistic?
3. What did i ever say or do to you that you attack me?
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2017, 11:48:55 PM »
Who came up with the title? Love it.  :)
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2017, 07:39:36 AM »
Who came up with the title? Love it.  :)
1. I posted it in the interesting article thread...without comment. I had no intention to start a new thread. That was done by a mod.
2. Why does posting this particular article make me bitter and pessimistic?
3. What did i ever say or do to you that you attack me?

Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2017, 08:37:12 AM »
Enforce standards?

The mom's should know better. Isn't that what the chinuch in school is for?

It's obviously shallow and hollow if all the girls know that once they become an eshes ish they can have hair as long as they feel. This is exactly what is wrong with the chinuch system. Not the ruler.
The idea is when you CREATE this SET length saying this is appropriate (implying nothing else is)  and then kids see very eirlicher Yidden walking around with their hair an inch longer.. what are they to think?

And then if they haven't REALLY learned what tznius means by then they will be walking around however they see fit.

There are two issues here.

1. How this was posted, the video going around and the hatred being communicated in both directions.

2. The issue of having a school set such lengths and  enforce them and how they go about that.

2 could have been spoken about and brought into discussion without having to post those pictures and that video in my opinion.

"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 04, 2017, 08:39:05 AM »
could always count on you to start something negative. why are you always so bitter and pessimistic?
That seems pretty uncalled for honestly.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2017, 08:46:08 AM »
That seems pretty uncalled for honestly.
+1

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Interesting Articles...
« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2017, 08:48:43 AM »
It may have been in some sort of public setting, but was definitely not in front of their classes since school did not start and they are not wearing uniforms.

Still waiting for you to admit you were wrong.
Visibly Jewish

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Interesting Articles...
« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2017, 08:59:19 AM »
Still waiting for you to admit you were wrong.
That's going to be one long wait.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline elit

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2017, 09:38:11 AM »
The idea is when you CREATE this SET length saying this is appropriate (implying nothing else is)  and then kids see very eirlicher Yidden walking around with their hair an inch longer.. what are they to think?

And then if they haven't REALLY learned what tznius means by then they will be walking around however they see fit.

There are two issues here.

1. How this was posted, the video going around and the hatred being communicated in both directions.

2. The issue of having a school set such lengths and  enforce them and how they go about that.

2 could have been spoken about and brought into discussion without having to post those pictures and that video in my opinion.
ain domeh shmia l'riah. there would not be this kind of conversation without the video.... I actually was in middle of coming here to post yesterday and then decided against it bec. I didn't want to.be the one to start a fight. OTOH somethings are worth fighting for. just nobody ends up changing anyone's mind so probably pointless other then to make a macha

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2017, 09:43:33 AM »
ain domeh shmia l'riah. there would not be this kind of conversation without the video.... I actually was in middle of coming here to post yesterday and then decided against it bec. I didn't want to.be the one to start a fight. OTOH somethings are worth fighting for. just nobody ends up changing anyone's mind so probably pointless other then to make a macha
I def think things are worth bringing to attention.
The more we let things become 'acceptable' that we don't believe in the worse things get.

Offline rs242

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 04, 2017, 09:45:06 AM »
This is amazing how this is a "hot topic". To me this whole thing is incredibly stupid on both sides. 1) Schools do stupid things
2) ppl are stupid for fighting over this

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 04, 2017, 09:47:06 AM »
This is amazing how this is a "hot topic". To me this whole thing is incredibly stupid on both sides. 1) Schools do stupid things
The fight over this is ridiculous. But I totally believe the specific issue is worth 'nipping in the bud'. Otherwise we start to think these things are normal. And good even. Obviously there are those who think this whole hair length rule is a great thing. I'm not speaking for those people. Just the people who believe it's davka not.

Offline rs242

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 04, 2017, 09:50:53 AM »
The fight over this is ridiculous. But I totally believe the specific issue is worth 'nipping in the bud'. Otherwise we start to think these things are normal. And good even. Obviously there are those who think this whole hair length rule is a great thing. I'm not speaking for those people. Just the people who believe it's davka not.
It's not your business! It's the business of the parents.

Offline elit

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 04, 2017, 09:51:58 AM »
totally disagree. school doing stupid things is not ok. it destroys lives.

Offline saw50st8

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 04, 2017, 09:52:12 AM »
I don't think this is on the school. I think this is on the parents for patronizing schools with ridiculous rules. People like the rules otherwise they would vote with their feet. Even in Lakewood, you have autonomy. You can choose to bus your kid to a school outside of Lakewood if the rules bother you or you can homeschool or you can move or you can start a new school. You aren't stuck. If you choose to be a part of the greater Lakewood community and choose to utilize the schools in the community then you are agreeing to the rules.

Do I think the rules are crazy? Absolutely. As a student, I fought hard against any rule that wasn't in the handbook and refused to remove things like my ankle bracelet since there was no rule against it. A few years after I left the school, they implemented a rule "No stylish haircuts." Crazy, but it's not a school that I would ever consider sending my kids to. I send my kids to a normal school with rules that make sense to me or rules that I can live with.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 04, 2017, 09:59:11 AM »
apparently it was done by lice check but I'm not sure why that matters...
This image was not showing up in Tapa by me for some reason. It definitely answers this.
Im wondering if nit checking is done the same way. Are girls sent home in public or is the girl politely taken aside and the parent called? 
The setting in which they did this is does not seem appropriate based on this letter and as such I went too far in my criticism of the letter writer. The letter writer also gave a wrong impression of them being publicly humiliated which I just do not see considering it being done as part of a lice check and also at this point having seen the video. It was done very similar to the lice check and not the formal setting the letter gave an impression of. If someone has lice they need to get rid of them and if someone's hair is too long they need to cut it. The real offense was that the school had the cutzpa of having a tznius standard that she didn't want to keep to. Who decided on hair length? These are guidelines which rabbonim are behind. Look in R Falk's book. Can one disagree, possibly, but they have every right to have the standard

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 04, 2017, 10:00:11 AM »
It's not your business! It's the business of the parents.

While normally I might agree in this case I don't think that's true.
We live in a community where schools affect the whole community. And schools affect other schools.
If something becomes 'accepted' as ok in one school it will more likely start to be accepted all over.

And while you can argue that anyone can send their kid to whatever school they like there should be somewhat of an understanding that most religious people won't start sending their kids to non religious schools so they are sort of 'forced' to just 'deal' and 'accept' things.
      So in theory anyone can send their kid anywhere most people don't truly feel they have that option.