Topic Wiki

Chase Eliminates Excluded Car Rental Countries; Israel Now Covered On All Chase Credit Cards!
See http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/35857

Barclaycard Arrival World Mastercard no longer covers Israel

Citi aa wmc platinum/bronze covers israel

Discover cards cover Israel

Jet Blue MasterCard (world elite) by Barclay does NOT cover

Capital One Buy Power Card does cover

WMC Authorize Users are covered as well (if they are on the rental agreement)

See http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/32273
« Last edited by Yoel F on December 19, 2016, 08:55:39 AM »

Author Topic: World MasterCards That Do/Don't Cover CDW In Israel Master Thread  (Read 137413 times)

Offline hocker

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: World MasterCards That Do/Don't Cover CDW In Israel
« Reply #260 on: January 20, 2013, 10:13:12 AM »
I sent an email to MC and they told me that the sapphire World master card covers Israel. I looked at the agreement (I'm attaching) and it says it's not covered. What is correct.
The attachment is for Master Cards not for World Master Cards.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #261 on: January 20, 2013, 12:14:52 PM »
I sent an email to MC and they told me that the sapphire World master card covers Israel. I looked at the agreement (I'm attaching) and it says it's not covered. What is correct.
You need to call Master Rental and they'll email you a letter of coverage.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #262 on: January 20, 2013, 12:28:22 PM »
You need to call Master Rental and they'll email you a letter of coverage.
anyone have a copy of that email they can attach?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #263 on: January 20, 2013, 12:34:53 PM »
"Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding the MasterRental® coverage associated with your MasterCard® World Card.

This letter confirms that your World MasterCard® Card provides MasterRental® coverage. Therefore, vehicles rented with your card are eligible for coverage in Israel. Please note that the coverage is subject to the terms and conditions of the MasterRental® program.

Please refer to the MasterRental® Guide to Benefits for a complete listing of the terms, conditions and exclusions associated with this program. This letter is in effect for 60 days from the date of issuance.

If you need to file a claim under the MasterRental® program, please visit us at www.mycardbenefits.com or call us at 1-877-354-8330.

Sincerely,
Robert Brewer
MasterCard Assistance Center "
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Blazer

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 20, 2013, 03:27:17 PM »
"Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding the MasterRental® coverage associated with your MasterCard® World Card.

This letter confirms that your World MasterCard® Card provides MasterRental® coverage. Therefore, vehicles rented with your card are eligible for coverage in Israel. Please note that the coverage is subject to the terms and conditions of the MasterRental® program.

Please refer to the MasterRental® Guide to Benefits for a complete listing of the terms, conditions and exclusions associated with this program. This letter is in effect for 60 days from the date of issuance.

If you need to file a claim under the MasterRental® program, please visit us at www.mycardbenefits.com or call us at 1-877-354-8330.

Sincerely,
Robert Brewer
MasterCard Assistance Center "
Dan,
I don't get it, they sent me a few months ago the same email, so how come in the "Guide " it says that it's not covered.

Offline Red

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 20, 2013, 03:30:16 PM »
Dan,
I don't get it, they sent me a few months ago the same email, so how come in the "Guide " it says that it's not covered.
Check again, does it say not  covered or may not cover? Big difference...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 03:47:15 PM by Red »

Offline cozmohoot

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 20, 2013, 03:43:09 PM »
Check again, does it say not  covered or may not cover? Big difference...
The sapphire booklet says may not cover
The booklet is chases coverage but when you call for car coverage they refer you to direct Master Card coverage
I just looked and called last night and Mastercard does cover cdw.

Offline rebdude

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 20, 2013, 05:20:47 PM »
anybody know about frontier card from barclays world mastercard covering in Israel?

Offline d234

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 25, 2013, 12:30:14 AM »
I see that citi preferred thank you world master card is listed as covered..any one know if citi thank you NOT  preferred wmc also works? Thanks

Offline Wolf

• View Profile
Re: Re: World MasterCards That Do/Don't Cover CDW In Israel
« Reply #269 on: January 25, 2013, 01:44:41 AM »
I just looked and called last night and Mastercard does cover cdw.
I also noticed in the book that came with my newly converted wmc sapphire that it will not cover as primary if you already have insurance at home, is this also not true?

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Re: World MasterCards That Do/Don't Cover CDW In Israel
« Reply #270 on: January 25, 2013, 01:50:52 AM »
I also noticed in the book that came with my newly converted wmc sapphire that it will not cover as primary if you already have insurance at home, is this also not true?
Depends. In the USA your own car insurance is primary.  Outside the USA (including Canada?)  the SP is primary.

Offline dardas

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 27, 2013, 12:30:01 PM »
FYI -- Here is my experience after renting in Israel and making a repair claim with the Chase Sapphire Preferred World Mastercard.   

Bottom line:   Getting the Sapphire Preferred card was well worthwhile, especially after we suffered some accident damage to the car.

But note:   The big savings was not up front on the insurance fees (see #2 below).    It was in avoiding the rental company's CDW high deductible ($600! -- see point "C" in "Lessons learned" below) after we returned the car with some minor body damage.   

Since this forum was so helpful to me, I'll share our experience in detail, for those interested.   Car rental in general, and especially in Israel, is full of scams, last minute charges, outrageous insurance fees, and more.   It's utterly "Buyer Beware."     To avoid getting screwed, you have to do a lot of homework, unfortunately.   

Here's our experience: 

1) We applied for and received a Chase Sapphire Preferred World MasterCard.   We also obtained from them a written (email) letter confirming coverage in Israel, which we brought with us to Israel.

2) We confirmed, in advance, from Budget that they would honor the Mastercard coverage, but discovered -- to our chagrin -- that if we waived the $14/day (!) CDW and $5/day Theft Protection, then they would force us to buy "Third Party Liability Insurance ($14/day).    So the net savings on insurance was only $5/day.     (Lesson learned:   Check everything in advance before you depart.   And don't be fooled by low rental rates; the fees, insurance and taxes more than doubled our daily rental cost.)

3) We received no hassle from the Budget Rental counter at Ben Gurion airport.   They readily accepted the Mastercard coverage, allowed us to refuse the CDW & Theft Protection, but then forced us to buy TP Liability.

4) The rental went fine.   But one dark night, while backing up in a dirt parking lot filled with construction material, we nicked the tailight, breaking a lense and scratching the paint on the bumper cover.

5) When we returned the car, they said they would immediately charge us an "estimated cost of repair" -- to make sure we didn't cancel our credit card before they charged us.   IN the end, they didn't do that, but 2 weeks later our card was charged for $772 for the tailight, bumper paint repair. 

6) We filed a claim through Mastercard's claim service manager, Sedgewick.   We had to upload various documents, to Sedgewick's website, which was tedious but uneventful.    Getting Budget in Israel to send us an itemized bill required a phone call to Israel.

7) 2 weeks after submitting all the documents, we see that Sedgewick as issued a $666 reimbursement.   Presumably, this will soon be posted as a credit to our credit card balance.
Why not the full $772?    Because -- in yet one more scam -- Budget charged us $106 for the "assessors report" (i.e. the estimate), which Sedgewick has (so far at least) not reimbursed.

Lessons learned:

A) Don't be fooled by low rental rates.    The rental for our car was only $22/day, but all the fees and insurance -- even after refusing CDW -- brought the total to over $45/day!   (including extra driver, GPS rental).

B) Rental car companies in general, but Israel in particular, will nickle-and-dime you to death.   You really ahve to keep asking questions BEFORE you rent the car, and read all the fine print.

C) The high deductible of Budget's CDW -- not the lower insurance cost -- is what makes the Sapphire Preferred Card so valuable.   Though we only saved $5/day on insurance sold by Budget, we saved the $600 deductible that Budget would ahve charged us for the damage.   We only learned about this by emailing Budget several times, before we left, to clarify the "fine print."
Budget call's their deductible "NWR" or  "Non Waiverable Responsibility", and describe this way:

"The NWR is referred to as the Non Waiverable  Responsibility, or "deductible". In the event you purchase the Collision Damage Waiver (CDW), you may be charged up to $600.00 USD."

D) The 40,000 free points when signing up for the Sapphire Preferred Card is redeemable for cash.
We requested, and received, a check for $437 upon our return.   ($400 bonus plus $37 = 1% of the $3700 we spent on the card).    According to MasterCard, there is no penalty for cancelling the card before 12 months (i.e. before the $95 annual fee kicks in).    MasterCard told us "people do that all the time."

Bottom line:    A pain, but for a few hours of hassle we saved:

1.    $65 on a 13-day rental for rental insurance, by refusing the CDW and Theft
2.   $600 on the NWR (deductible with a CDW) for the damage repair
3)  $437 -- cash reward for 40K bonus points, plus 1% of $3700
4)  $113 saved by avoid the 3% "foreign exchange transaction fee" charged by our other credit cards.
5)  minus $37 in cash reward points we lost by not using our Fidelity Signature Visa credit  card, which pays 2% in case rewards.

Am I missing anything here?   

Approx $1141 savings for perhaps 7 hours of online/telephone work from start to finish.    Worth it?   You decide.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 12:59:50 PM by dardas »

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 27, 2013, 12:39:02 PM »
Thanx for sharing. Didn't know there was such a thing as a deductible on CDW insurance that you purchase from the rental agency.

Regarding the $437 for your UR points, all i can say is  :'( :-X

Offline d234

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 27, 2013, 11:09:54 PM »
Would anyone know if citi world mc (not preferred) is covered?? After unsuccessfully reading the benefits i cant figure it out..The # of the rental company for the card told me they cover in Israel provided the rental car company agrees...WHAT DOES THAT MEAN??? Any help would be much appreciated.

Offline Moishebatchy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #274 on: January 28, 2013, 05:29:23 AM »
D) The 40,000 free points when signing up for the Sapphire Preferred Card is redeemable for cash.
We requested, and received, a check for $437 upon our return.   ($400 bonus plus $37 = 1% of the $3700 we spent on the card).

Wow. What a mind-blowing waste of perfectly good points. :o

Am I missing anything here?

Yes, a lot. Start reading the rest of the Credit Cards board, and you'll soon learn what a pathetic waste it is to redeem UR points for 1 penny each.

Hamakom yenachem eschem - we are sorry for your loss... :'(

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: January 28, 2013, 11:36:17 AM »
Dispute the $106 with Chase.

Offline shimzah

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 04, 2013, 01:34:12 PM »
i am having trouble finding some info on this forum, can anyone help?

I am going to Israel on wed for a few days.
Are either of these MC that i have good to rent a car with, ink business or the mileage plus explorer?
Is it safe to drive from yerushalayim to kever rochel, chevron, har menuchos and har hazeisim?
if not, are there buses on friday or sunday that go there?
Anything to know about renting in Israel, besides the mandatory insurance?
was anyone able to use miles to upgrade to business on delta from a T class ticket?
thanks so much,

Offline hocker

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 05, 2013, 06:46:09 AM »
i am having trouble finding some info on this forum, can anyone help?

1. I am going to Israel on wed for a few days.
2. Are either of these MC that i have good to rent a car with, ink business or the mileage plus explorer?
3. Is it safe to drive from yerushalayim to kever rochel, chevron, har menuchos and har hazeisim?
4. if not, are there buses on friday or sunday that go there?
5. Anything to know about renting in Israel, besides the mandatory insurance?
6. was anyone able to use miles to upgrade to business on delta from a T class ticket?
thanks so much,
1. Nice
2. Check if it says World above the Master card logo. (If it's a Visa it won't cover)
3. KR and Har Hamenuchos - Yes.
4. Yes
5. Yes, that hocker is the best  ;)
6. Wrong thread

Offline M

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 11, 2013, 07:05:31 AM »
Just wanted to double check the CITI PReferred Thank you card, world mastercard does cover Israel?

On a side note has anyone found it easier to just pay the insurance on a short rental just not worth the headaches?

Offline hocker

• View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 11, 2013, 07:16:33 AM »

On a side note has anyone found it easier to just pay the insurance on a short rental just not worth the headaches?
Depending on the type of car it is usually $2-10 more a day. On larger cars it can sometimes be a bigger difference.

The advantage of the WMC insurance is the fact that there's no deductible, whereas the providers insurance has a $400+ deductible. The disadvantage is that it can sometimes be a hassle to get the CC to pay/cover.

If you PM me your dates I would be glad to advise you of your options.