Author Topic: Hurricane Irma  (Read 55333 times)

Offline thaber

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Hurricane Irma
« Reply #320 on: September 13, 2017, 10:12:02 PM »
5 dead in a Hollywood, FL nursing home due to no power/AC http://www.miamiherald.com/news/weather/hurricane/article173019111.html
and interestingly, all the people who said the guy who runs the nursing home in Harvey with people floating around should be taken out back, are all quiet.

Online TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: September 13, 2017, 10:48:10 PM »
and interestingly, all the people who said the guy who runs the nursing home in Harvey with people floating around should be taken out back, are all quiet.
I said
That if the people in charge can't handle the responsibilities that come along with caring for these people's lives then they shouldn't be in this business.
And I still stand by that. But I was told
You obviously have no clue in this parsha. Stop before you sound even more foolish.
So hey, what do I know.

Online Sammy82

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: September 14, 2017, 04:34:55 AM »
I've actually been quite busy today and still on the office (I didn't even read about the story yet, just heard a few different versions of it on the radio in the car while driving to a few different meetings, which ironically enough, one was with OEM which is the central part of the city government arm here in NYC that takes control of ALL services and tells everybody what to do, where to go, etc).
Once again, I don't know the details but being that I was part of a similar disaster five years ago and actually operating a LTC facilty, I could actually see certain scenarios where the operator (or owner) has ZERO fault.
For example (and this is not a far fetch possibility at all)-
Maybe they had power up until the previous night and it was a relatively cool night. They hydrated the residents, opened windows (which BTW due we physically cant open windows more than 6-12"), made extra rounds, monitored often, and had a plan to either get the power back up in the morning or evacuate then. Maybe there was physically no way to evacuate them since millions of people were evacuating, roads were clogged, shelters were full, hotels were overbooked and they were TOLD by their respective government agencies to shelter-in-place? Moving 100+ elderly sick people is not the same as going on a camp trip where you could order 2 or 3 buses, pick up and go. They would need dozens of ambulettes/ambulances to transport, they would have to take all supplies, medications, equipment, and food with them (very little chance any place they go would have any of that, considering the mass evacuations of the general public and other facilities), medical charts also have to go, you need to make sure that you supply enough staff (and on average it takes 1 employees to care for 1 patient, which includes just aides and nurses) 24/7 around the clock, and more. If you really want to know more details and get to know what it takes, I might have a position for you (no kidding) but my point is that you have absolutely no clue.
So as I  said previously, I don't know 1)the facilities that we are discussing (location, demographics of residents, etc. which all make a huge difference) 2)how things are in regards to government and done in other states, but if the storm was anything like Sandy and things are run similar to how they are run here in NY (which BTW I believe that the NYC OEM is way ahead of similar agencies in other cities so I could just imagine how much more unorganized and chaotic it is over there), I could def see it being made for what its not by people who have no clue.

Online Sammy82

• View Profile
« Reply #323 on: September 14, 2017, 04:45:53 AM »
I saidAnd I still stand by that. But I was toldSo hey, what do I know.
And I stand by what I said (see above post)! So we're even!
The difference is that I'm in the trenches and know what it takes while ur sitting on the sidelines spewing garbage, which might sound good and tough (hence that's why the media and certain government officials jump to conclusions and say the same nieyrishkite like you) but it's not reality. My offer still stands. If this seriously interests you and you want to see if this might be a future for you, I might have an internship available. (For all I know, you're a 70 year old retired guy! But even then I would take you. This way if you do ever come to a facility such as mine, you'll appreciate it that much more instead of being one of those  grumpy old men that always complain and think they could do things better!)

Offline A3

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: September 14, 2017, 08:34:15 AM »
Zero Traffic on the way back into Miami... All good here

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #325 on: September 14, 2017, 08:34:47 AM »
I've actually been quite busy today and still on the office (I didn't even read about the story yet, just heard a few different versions of it on the radio in the car while driving to a few different meetings, which ironically enough, one was with OEM which is the central part of the city government arm here in NYC that takes control of ALL services and tells everybody what to do, where to go, etc).
Once again, I don't know the details but being that I was part of a similar disaster five years ago and actually operating a LTC facilty, I could actually see certain scenarios where the operator (or owner) has ZERO fault.
For example (and this is not a far fetch possibility at all)-
Maybe they had power up until the previous night and it was a relatively cool night. They hydrated the residents, opened windows (which BTW due we physically cant open windows more than 6-12"), made extra rounds, monitored often, and had a plan to either get the power back up in the morning or evacuate then. Maybe there was physically no way to evacuate them since millions of people were evacuating, roads were clogged, shelters were full, hotels were overbooked and they were TOLD by their respective government agencies to shelter-in-place? Moving 100+ elderly sick people is not the same as going on a camp trip where you could order 2 or 3 buses, pick up and go. They would need dozens of ambulettes/ambulances to transport, they would have to take all supplies, medications, equipment, and food with them (very little chance any place they go would have any of that, considering the mass evacuations of the general public and other facilities), medical charts also have to go, you need to make sure that you supply enough staff (and on average it takes 1 employees to care for 1 patient, which includes just aides and nurses) 24/7 around the clock, and more. If you really want to know more details and get to know what it takes, I might have a position for you (no kidding) but my point is that you have absolutely no clue.
So as I  said previously, I don't know 1)the facilities that we are discussing (location, demographics of residents, etc. which all make a huge difference) 2)how things are in regards to government and done in other states, but if the storm was anything like Sandy and things are run similar to how they are run here in NY (which BTW I believe that the NYC OEM is way ahead of similar agencies in other cities so I could just imagine how much more unorganized and chaotic it is over there), I could def see it being made for what its not by people who have no clue.
Or more likely there was negligence, they were understaffed, nurses messed up their vital checks, they didn't stock up enough water and non-perishable food in advance, and they will be sued and settle for many millions.

A hard job isn't an excuse for death. This has huge settlement written all over it.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #326 on: September 14, 2017, 08:35:08 AM »
Zero Traffic on the way back into Miami... All good here
Are people just not going back yet?

Online Sammy82

• View Profile
« Reply #327 on: September 14, 2017, 08:42:08 AM »
Or more likely there was negligence, they were understaffed, nurses messed up their vital checks, they didn't stock up enough water and non-perishable food in advance, and they will be sued and settle for many millions.

A hard job isn't an excuse for death. This has huge settlement written all over it.
Def a possibility and the investigations will determine that. And if there was negligence, the responsible parties should be held accountable to the fullest extent allowed. My point is that until all facts are known, I would reserve judgement since as somebody who's been there done that to a degree (BH I never had situations like this), I could definitely see variables which would make the provider completely innocent.

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #328 on: September 14, 2017, 08:45:11 AM »
The case in Florida definitely sounds more negligent than Houston. In Houston there was flooding and not much to do about it other than evacuate which has its own issues. Dehydration is solvable.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: September 14, 2017, 08:48:43 AM »
The case in Florida definitely sounds more negligent than Houston. In Houston there was flooding and not much to do about it other than evacuate which has its own issues. Dehydration is solvable.
This. It's hard to imagine a situation where they will have an excuse for not providing water often enough.

Online Sammy82

• View Profile
« Reply #330 on: September 14, 2017, 08:52:23 AM »
Driving but I'll read and respond when I'm able to

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #331 on: September 14, 2017, 09:00:00 AM »
This. It's hard to imagine a situation where they will have an excuse for not providing water often enough.
Availability of water and staff could have become an issue but this is not comparable to Houston.

Offline A3

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: September 14, 2017, 09:00:15 AM »
Are people just not going back yet?
Maybe alot of people are waiting till after the weekend? No school til Mon anyways... Forced Vacation.

What took 23 hours from MIA to MEM took 15 hours from MEM to MIA.

Offline elit

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 14, 2017, 09:16:07 AM »
Maybe alot of people are waiting till after the weekend? No school til Mon anyways... Forced Vacation.

What took 23 hours from MIA to MEM took 15 hours from MEM to MIA.
my siblings had a ton of traffic yesterday coming back

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 14, 2017, 09:58:35 AM »
Def a possibility and the investigations will determine that. And if there was negligence, the responsible parties should be held accountable to the fullest extent allowed. My point is that until all facts are known, I would reserve judgement since as somebody who's been there done that to a degree (BH I never had situations like this), I could definitely see variables which would make the provider completely innocent.
Coming from somebody who has been to several nursing homes (more than 10) and more important coming from someone whos mother died in one I can say you are living in fantasyland!!!
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 14, 2017, 10:01:19 AM »
Coming from somebody who has been to several nursing homes (more than 10) and more important coming from someone whos mother died in one I can say you are living in fantasyland!!!
:'(

Online TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 14, 2017, 10:17:31 AM »
Sammyboy, stop telling me what I do & don't know. A little FYI, for a number of years I volunteered at a few such places & spent several hours a day 7 days a week there. And I wasn't in an office, I spent my time in the rooms with the patients. There was neglect and even abuse on a regular basis. Many of the employees were devoted to 1 thing only, their phones. Perhaps your place is elite in nursing care. One of the things I realized was that some of
those  grumpy old men that always complain
were unfortunately very very justified in doing so.

Online Sammy82

• View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 14, 2017, 10:22:31 AM »
+.5
Dehydration is def more solvable but there are still some barriers (for example staffing is needed for many/most patients to get hydration, potable water has to be available, which my understanding was meet limited, even with the mandatory emergency background supply) but i do basically agree with you that on the surface FL looks much worse than Houston (although the fact that people died def add to the jerk reaction effect).

Online Sammy82

• View Profile
« Reply #338 on: September 14, 2017, 10:25:41 AM »
1) I'm sorry to hear that ur loved one died (was it due to negligence or because of old age/sickness?)
2)Please specify what part is fantasy.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 14, 2017, 10:26:44 AM »
+.5
Dehydration is def more solvable but there are still some barriers (for example staffing is needed for many/most patients to get hydration, potable water has to be available, which my understanding was meet limited, even with the mandatory emergency background supply) but i do basically agree with you that on the surface FL looks much worse than Houston (although the fact that people died def add to the jerk reaction effect).
Something like this.
Availability of water and staff could have become an issue but this is not comparable to Houston.