Author Topic: Hurricane Irma  (Read 55360 times)

Online Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
Re: Hurricane Irma
« Reply #180 on: September 10, 2017, 12:00:19 PM »
BTW ya'll, yesterday's fantastic weather in Brooklyn was because of how awesome I've been.

You're welcome.

Offline churnbabychurn

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 10, 2017, 12:16:43 PM »
BTW ya'll, yesterday's fantastic weather in Brooklyn was because of how awesome I've been.

You're welcome.
U rock! Keep it up through March please!

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #182 on: September 10, 2017, 12:20:23 PM »

You're welcome.
Would you mind moving to Miami for a couple days? I'll give you room and board free ;)
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 10, 2017, 12:21:10 PM »
The Lubavitcher Rebbe never reasoned WHY the Holocaust happened. Further, these concepts are often foreign to judaism, Avraham tried to save sedom and amorah, evil cities, purely of the merit of 10 righteous.

The gemara (or Rambam?) says an ir hanidachas is spared if there is 1 house with a mezuzah in it.

Truly yes there have been times where entire communities were destroyed for the sins of a few but its foolish to assign reasons why things do or do not happen

Offline chaimmayer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 10, 2017, 12:29:03 PM »
The fact that it's a huge hassle to evacuate along with your family for a few days (you have to find a place to stay, which either isn't cheap or is inconvenient, and either travel for many hours in traffic by car, which hours long waits by the few fuel stations that have gas, or spend a veritable fortune on flights and get stuck for hours in the airport), and you're opening up your home to looting. Floridians are relatively jaded about hurricanes, and the fact is that many storms that are predicted for weeks to ravage an area end up blowing off course or losing steam. Evacuating entails giving up a lot up front, on the chance that the meteorologists are correct and their houses that are built for withstanding hurricanes really aren't capable of enduring this one. Many would rather risk it and tough it out.
My wife would need to be really scared for us to consider evacuating"
Being cooped up with the kids in a hotel or someone else's house or a hotel can be much worse than being home without electricity.
Also assuming it's not dangerous if something goes wrong if you're home you can deal with it.
For example last year during Matthew stores had ice which helped save some of the stuff in our freezer.

Offline Der Deutsche Jude

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA, CA, FAA, GA, NA, OA, WA
« Reply #185 on: September 10, 2017, 12:29:30 PM »
These hurricanes are a product of the siman ra caused by the eclipse.
The eclipse is because of mishkav zachor
It is inappropriate to blame these occurrences on the shortcomings of others.
It's their own shortcomings.  That's why Key West is getting hit so hard.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #186 on: September 10, 2017, 12:36:36 PM »
726,000 people in Miami alone without power. Interactive map here http://fplmaps.com

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 10, 2017, 12:38:17 PM »
The Lubavitcher Rebbe never reasoned WHY the Holocaust happened. Further, these concepts are often foreign to judaism, Avraham tried to save sedom and amorah, evil cities, purely of the merit of 10 righteous.

The gemara (or Rambam?) says an ir hanidachas is spared if there is 1 house with a mezuzah in it.

Truly yes there have been times where entire communities were destroyed for the sins of a few but its foolish to assign reasons why things do or do not happen
Foreign??! Achzorius!

מצות עשה מן התורה לזעוק ולהריע בחצוצרות על כל צרה שתבא על הצבור. שנאמר על הצר הצורר אתכם והרעותם בחצוצרות. כלומר כל דבר שייצר לכם כגון בצורת ודבר וארבה וכיוצא בהן זעקו עליהן והריעו.

הלכה בעריכה

ודבר זה מדרכי התשובה הוא. שבזמן שתבוא צרה ויזעקו עליה ויריעו ידעו הכל שבגלל מעשיהם הרעים הורע להן ככתוב עונותיכם הטו וגו'. וזה הוא שיגרום להסיר הצרה מעליהם.

הלכה געריכה

אבל אם לא יזעקו ולא יריעו אלא יאמרו דבר זה ממנהג העולם אירע לנו וצרה זו נקרה נקרית. הרי זו דרך אכזריות וגורמת להם להדבק במעשיהם הרעים. ותוסיף הצרה צרות אחרות. הוא שכתוב בתורה והלכתם עמי בקרי והלכתי גם אני עמכם בחמת קרי. כלומר כשאביא עליכם צרה כדי שתשובו אם תאמרו שהיא קרי אוסיף לכם חמת אותו קרי.

הלכה ד

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 10, 2017, 12:42:23 PM »
From Surfside PD:

Surfside is experiencing hurricane force winds, heavy rain, and flooding in areas of Collins, Harding and the residential neighborhoods. High tide (King) is at 1:20 pm, so flooding will increase. We have many trees, signs and wires down. There of course is no power. Bal Harbor PD and Indian Creek PD generators have failed while our antique Surfside model is still kicking providing us lighting. We also have damage to several police cars, flat tires and broken out windows. The PW garage door is severely damaged and is secured by heavy equipment on both sides. The Public Works garage has been blocked off to personnel. Lobby doors have been secured with flex cuffs. All personnel are hunkered down inside the Town Hall. There have been no injuries. There also have been injuries reported by residents. Most of MD Fire Rescue equipment is on the mainland in North Miami and will be available after the storm. The PD and PW crew here will remain until tomorrow when the storm is expected to finally pass.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 10, 2017, 12:43:24 PM »
From Surfside PD:

Surfside is experiencing hurricane force winds, heavy rain, and flooding in areas of Collins, Harding and the residential neighborhoods. High tide (King) is at 1:20 pm, so flooding will increase. We have many trees, signs and wires down. There of course is no power. Bal Harbor PD and Indian Creek PD generators have failed while our antique Surfside model is still kicking providing us lighting. We also have damage to several police cars, flat tires and broken out windows. The PW garage door is severely damaged and is secured by heavy equipment on both sides. The Public Works garage has been blocked off to personnel. Lobby doors have been secured with flex cuffs. All personnel are hunkered down inside the Town Hall. There have been no injuries. There also have been injuries reported by residents. Most of MD Fire Rescue equipment is on the mainland in North Miami and will be available after the storm. The PD and PW crew here will remain until tomorrow when the storm is expected to finally pass.
Places like Brikel are already under 3 feet of water and this is before the storm surge that comes after Irma passes.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 10, 2017, 12:53:29 PM »

the storm surge that comes after Irma passes.

Is that a fact?

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 10, 2017, 12:56:18 PM »

Is that a fact?
FWIU the worst flooding is after the hurricane passes. Then the water follows and floods.

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #192 on: September 10, 2017, 12:57:46 PM »
its foolish to assign reasons why things do or do not happen
It is foolish not to use these occurrences as an opportunity for introspection.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Moshe123

• View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #193 on: September 10, 2017, 12:59:35 PM »
The winds are now offshore and the water receded the below normal levels. Once the storm moves to the north, the winds will turn onshore and start flooding.

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 10, 2017, 01:06:25 PM »
Foreign??! Achzorius!

מצות עשה מן התורה לזעוק ולהריע בחצוצרות על כל צרה שתבא על הצבור. שנאמר על הצר הצורר אתכם והרעותם בחצוצרות. כלומר כל דבר שייצר לכם כגון בצורת ודבר וארבה וכיוצא בהן זעקו עליהן והריעו.

הלכה בעריכה

ודבר זה מדרכי התשובה הוא. שבזמן שתבוא צרה ויזעקו עליה ויריעו ידעו הכל שבגלל מעשיהם הרעים הורע להן ככתוב עונותיכם הטו וגו'. וזה הוא שיגרום להסיר הצרה מעליהם.

הלכה געריכה

אבל אם לא יזעקו ולא יריעו אלא יאמרו דבר זה ממנהג העולם אירע לנו וצרה זו נקרה נקרית. הרי זו דרך אכזריות וגורמת להם להדבק במעשיהם הרעים. ותוסיף הצרה צרות אחרות. הוא שכתוב בתורה והלכתם עמי בקרי והלכתי גם אני עמכם בחמת קרי. כלומר כשאביא עליכם צרה כדי שתשובו אם תאמרו שהיא קרי אוסיף לכם חמת אותו קרי.

הלכה ד

I can prove the exact opposite.. your point ?

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: September 10, 2017, 01:11:12 PM »
Would you mind moving to Miami for a couple days? I'll give you room and board free ;)
After years of begging I finally relented & sent my shviger to Miami Beach. :)

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 10, 2017, 01:13:27 PM »

I can prove the exact opposite.. your point ?
Prove the opposite of what? This is Judaism 101

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 10, 2017, 01:21:50 PM »
It is foolish not to use these occurrences as an opportunity for introspection.
It is foolish thinking you need an occurrence like this for introspection. Introspection is an ongoing process.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 10, 2017, 01:35:07 PM »
[/quote

Not so, the world was created to follow the rules of nature. Finding meaning in everything is great, I find meaning in the taste of my coffee, but it's foolish to claim to know why things happen.

Judaism is replete with statements that we can never know why things happen. It's the height of human folly and fallacy to claim to know why god does things.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 10, 2017, 01:46:23 PM »
[/quote

Not so, the world was created to follow the rules of nature. Finding meaning in everything is great, I find meaning in the taste of my coffee, but it's foolish to claim to know why things happen.

Judaism is replete with statements that we can never know why things happen. It's the height of human folly and fallacy to claim to know why god does things.
Forget it. We both clearly have a vastly different belief system.
I know mine is traditional Torah Judaism.