Author Topic: Hurricane Irma  (Read 55311 times)

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: Hurricane Irma
« Reply #340 on: September 14, 2017, 10:30:30 AM »
Sammyboy, stop telling me what I do & don't know. A little FYI, for a number of years I volunteered at a few such places & spent several hours a day 7 days a week there. And I wasn't in an office, I spent my time in the rooms with the patients. There was neglect and even abuse on a regular basis. Many of the employees were devoted to 1 thing only, their phones. Perhaps your place is elite in nursing care. One of the things I realized was that some ofwere unfortunately very very justified in doing so.
I've been to a bunch of homes fairly often including having blown shofar for one and having my grandparents in 2 and have seen that it is a real YMMV and there is no comparison in the care when they see that there is a family member who checks up on them to someone there on their own. The case in houston I can easily envision as unpreventable but the one in FL is much harder though possible.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Sammy82

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 14, 2017, 10:36:23 AM »
Sammyboy, stop telling me what I do & don't know. A little FYI, for a number of years I volunteered at a few such places & spent several hours a day 7 days a week there. And I wasn't in an office, I spent my time in the rooms with the patients. There was neglect and even abuse on a regular basis. Many of the employees were devoted to 1 thing only, their phones. Perhaps your place is elite in nursing care. One of the things I realized was that some ofwere unfortunately very very justified in doing so.
I don't think that I ever claimed that there wasn't abuse. I also never claimed that abuse does not exist. I personally know of many cases of such abuse/neglect (and in that regard, if the facility had good policies and procedure, oversight, good management team, etc. it will be dealt with appropriately. I've called police on my own staff member twice. I've reported several licensed professionals to the licensing board. I've reported dozens,maybe even hundreds of possible neglect/abuse cases to the DOH and NYPD.)
But what I did say is that just because people died or are sitting in waist high water doesn't automatically mean that there was negligence on the operators or owners behalf. There could be many other variables and therefore would like to wait till the FACTS are known.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 14, 2017, 10:55:50 AM »
2)Please specify what part is fantasy.
The workers for the most part are great. The problem is they are understaffed and these businesses main concern is the bottom line. It might be different where you are at but not here.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline whYME

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile

Offline Sammy82

• View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 14, 2017, 12:00:19 PM »
The workers for the most part are great. The problem is they are understaffed and these businesses main concern is the bottom line. It might be different where you are at but not here.
Re your seconds point, there is definitely the possibly and room to understaff as for the most part there is no real regulation as to staffing numbers requirements (mainly because each facility had different types of residents with different needs), just that it 'is addiqualy staffed' which is open to interpretation. But starting this past July, we are required to report staffing monthly. While officially it's just for CMS to look at our numbers and staffing patterns, everybody knows that they will soon use that data and put in regulation for mandatory staffing levels (which if done properly, I think is a great thing). Furthermore, CMS now include staffing levels as one of the things calculated when rating facilities so if u go to nursinghomecompare.com u could actually see how many stars any given facility gets for staffing (although it doesn't give a full picture because a facility could have 4 or 5 stars for staffing g but that's only because the have a lot of vent, TBI, or other complicated residents).

Regarding ur first point, go back to how the operation is run. I've had the pleasure of working under 3 different admins in the same facility with 3 completely management styles so I saw how the top level management (as with probably any business) could make all the difference. But do realize that many of the people working there (at least in NYC where we have union shops) get paid less than they would if they were flipping burgers and the work is MUCH harder. So really the only reason theyre changing old people's diapers is because at some point they wanted to make a difference in the old sick population. Could be they turned sour, life got difficult, or they have a bad supervisor/department head. But that's not an excuse and if the working environment is good, with good support, ongoing training, properly staffed facility , then it's very easy to see quickly which ones are the sour ones (which any business with 320 or more employees is bound to have) and get rid of them.

I will tell you that there are a few 'big time owners' local that I wouldn't even consider working for even though they're offering way more $$. This is because they either have a name for being stingy with staffing or only care about the bottom line. I work for a small mom and pop company, where many employees have been there for 30-45 years, I hear stories how the owner has paid employee rent or car while they were going through difficult time, gives genurous gifts for things like weddings, baby's etc. and so on.

/.02
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 12:01:12 PM by jj1000 »

Offline cozmohoot

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: September 14, 2017, 01:39:42 PM »
Can this get merged into a nursing home thread ?

Offline whYME

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: September 14, 2017, 02:26:19 PM »
Can this get merged into a nursing home thread ?
next Wednesday :))

Offline Dawie

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: September 15, 2017, 09:51:21 AM »

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline chevron

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: September 15, 2017, 10:47:08 AM »
Fpl reconnected my building but only 110v line not 220, so no AC, currently 90 degrees in my apartment rawr

Offline Sammy82

• View Profile
« Reply #350 on: September 25, 2017, 04:02:52 PM »
I don't think that I ever claimed that there wasn't abuse. I also never claimed that abuse does not exist. I personally know of many cases of such abuse/neglect (and in that regard, if the facility had good policies and procedure, oversight, good management team, etc. it will be dealt with appropriately. I've called police on my own staff member twice. I've reported several licensed professionals to the licensing board. I've reported dozens,maybe even hundreds of possible neglect/abuse cases to the DOH and NYPD.)
But what I did say is that just because people died or are sitting in waist high water doesn't automatically mean that there was negligence on the operators or owners behalf. There could be many other variables and therefore would like to wait till the FACTS are known.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/09/25/florida-governor-deleted-critical-emails-related-to-post-hurricane-nursing-home-deaths/?utm_term=.113895848b5a
So, as I said previously, and as seen in the article, somebody else might be at fault here. Seems like there might be more to the story. Time for you all to put your pitchforks away (for now). Once ALL of the facts come out and are known, then we could judge.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #351 on: September 25, 2017, 04:05:24 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/09/25/florida-governor-deleted-critical-emails-related-to-post-hurricane-nursing-home-deaths/?utm_term=.113895848b5a
So, as I said previously, and as seen in the article, somebody else might be at fault here. Seems like there might be more to the story. Time for you all to put your pitchforks away (for now). Once ALL of the facts come out and are known, then we could judge.
Forget about it. Now that it became political we will never know all the facts. They will be charged criminally since the politician need to show that they are upset.

Offline Sammy82

• View Profile
« Reply #352 on: September 25, 2017, 04:12:45 PM »
Forget about it. Now that it became political we will never know all the facts. They will be charged criminally since the politician need to show that they are upset.
True but I'm trying to make a point so that next time, people take a minute and wait for the facts to come out instead of following the media and most politicians since it's a 'hot story' which will generate more tweets.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #353 on: November 23, 2017, 06:15:33 PM »
So I'm sure it wasn't there fault when the courts ruled they can be charged with Homicide right? Wana defend murderers now? http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/11/22/florida-nursing-home-deaths-during-hurricane-irma-ruled-homicides.html
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #354 on: November 23, 2017, 07:57:20 PM »
So I'm sure it wasn't there fault when the courts ruled they can be charged with Homicide right? Wana defend murderers now? http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/11/22/florida-nursing-home-deaths-during-hurricane-irma-ruled-homicides.html

Offline Sammy82

• View Profile
« Reply #355 on: November 23, 2017, 08:11:43 PM »
I don't believe I ever defended them. Just said let's wait till the facts come out because I could see a million and one reasons  and sceneries where the owners are not negligent.