Author Topic: Help: Wife lost iphone need replacement (temp solution)  (Read 3516 times)

Offline azhoopsfan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Help: Wife lost iphone need replacement (temp solution)
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2011, 12:42:00 PM »
I just called a Verizon authorized retailer and spoke with someone who said that there is a difference between 3G data plans and 4G data plans. 

He said that if I activate a phone now on an unlimited 3G plan and get a 4G phone later (after 7/6/11) they won't be able to grandfather me into unlimited 4G since their system requires the 3G data plan to be removed and the 4G data plan added at the time I get the 4G phone.  Since the 4G unlimited plan will not be available for them to add to the account after 7/6/11 that I would have to be on a tiered plan. 

Dan, have you already addressed this issue?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2011, 12:45:45 PM »
From what I understood if you get the standard 3G plan ($10 for 75MB) you won't be able to switch to the $30 unlimited plan.
However if you get the unlimited $30 plan on a 3G phone you can keep that plan regardless of phone upgrade.  I don't think there is a difference between an unlimited $30 plan on 3G or unlimited $30 plan on 4G.

I'll try to get that in writing.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline azhoopsfan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2011, 12:57:46 PM »
Interesting,

Called a Verizon store and the guy there said anytime I change the phone (unless its to an identical model), I would lose grandfathered status on the data plan.  I couldn't believe it and asked him then what would happen if I get a new phone and in 2 years I want to upgrade to a newer model --- he said I would lose grandfathered status. 

So I hung up and called another Verizon store and the guy there said that as long as you stay on a smartphone the unlimited plan should be grandfathered forever.  It's only when you downgrade to a non-smartphone that you could lose grandfathered status (but even then he said there would probably be a grace period). 

Frustrating how no one knows for certain. 

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2011, 01:01:09 PM »
Interesting,

Called a Verizon store and the guy there said anytime I change the phone (unless its to an identical model), I would lose grandfathered status on the data plan.  I couldn't believe it and asked him then what would happen if I get a new phone and in 2 years I want to upgrade to a newer model --- he said I would lose grandfathered status. 

So I hung up and called another Verizon store and the guy there said that as long as you stay on a smartphone the unlimited plan should be grandfathered forever.  It's only when you downgrade to a non-smartphone that you could lose grandfathered status (but even then he said there would probably be a grace period). 

Frustrating how no one knows for certain. 
I've asked for clarification in writing from my rep.  Will report back.
I know for a fact though that the first rep you talked to is wrong.  You don't lose it by upgrading phones or renewing your contract.  Those are specifically allowed.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2011, 04:14:43 PM »
"Just to confirm, if we add the $30 unlimited data plan to 7 of our lines with Centros on them on July 6th then we will be able to get the Motorola Droid Bionic or Samsung Function when they are released and not have to lose the unlimited data plan?"

"That is correct.  However, I would advise to do it a couple days before the 6th just to be safe."

Offline azhoopsfan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2011, 04:43:15 PM »
Unbelievably someone found the phone travelled with it from San Diego to New Jersey and is going to ship it back to me. 

I'm thrilled to get it back --- especially after seeing how much they sell for used on ebay.  However, I'm glad I started this thread, as I am still going to break contract with ATT and switch to Verizon before the end of the tiered data plans. 

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2011, 05:39:25 PM »
wow!!

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2011, 11:34:13 PM »
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)