Author Topic: Yanovor Esrogim  (Read 18160 times)

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
Re: Yanovor Esrogim
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2017, 06:44:36 PM »
Those of us who would only buy Yanover might be totally clueless about Kfar Chabad prices.
Isn't Kfar Chabad Esrogim original source Yanover Esrogim? Lubavitcher's don't purchase them, as well? 

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2017, 06:46:51 PM »
Isn't Kfar Chabad Esrogim original source Yanover Esrogim? Lubavitcher's don't purchase them, as well?
Kfar Chabad esrogim are most definitely are descendants of Yanover Esrogim (as are Ludmir Esrogim IINM), however, many will still only get a Yanover משמני הארץ יהי' מושבך.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2017, 06:49:24 PM »
Kfar Chabad esrogim are most definitely are descendants of Yanover Esrogim (as are Ludmir Esrogim IINM), however, many will still only get a Yanover משמני הארץ יהי' מושבך.
Interesting. I would say that Kol Shekain when you transplant it to EY.  When did they transplant it in Kfar Chabad? What did the last Rebbe ZTZL use?

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2017, 07:10:06 PM »
Interesting. I would say that Kol Shekain when you transplant it to EY.  When did they transplant it in Kfar Chabad? What did the last Rebbe ZTZL use?

Go back and read the discussion here, rather than having it all rehashed.
-- Dan

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2017, 08:34:42 PM »

Henche almost needed to eat a boot, but didn't in the end

Offline yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2017, 09:02:34 PM »
Go back and read the discussion here, rather than having it all rehashed.
Just read it. With all due respect, I am not convinced. It seems to me that it's a bit "ibergtribben" to seek out Davka an Esrog from a Calabria tree in Italy, and not EY.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2017, 09:07:03 PM »
@Dan Pls add a poll.

1. I am Chabad and I am spending any amount necessary for a real yanover.

2. I am chabad, and I will not be extorted. I will buy from Kfar chabad, and will shake some gvirs esrog in shul (or on the street...

3. I am not chabad but I need to be involved

Offline rs242

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2017, 09:11:16 PM »
@Dan Pls add a poll.

2. I am chabad, and I will not be extorted. I will buy from Kfar chabad, and will shake some gvirs esrog in shul (or on the street...

And 4) I don't know what u ppl are talking about.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2017, 09:16:20 PM »
@Dan Pls add a poll.

je suis chabad?
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2017, 09:17:47 PM »

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2017, 09:28:52 PM »
Just read it. With all due respect, I am not convinced. It seems to me that it's a bit "ibergtribben" to seek out Davka an Esrog from a Calabria tree in Italy, and not EY.
No one is trying to convince you of anything.

While Chabad stands for חכמה בינה ודעת, those alone don't make one a chossid. One cannot be a chossid without a Rebbe. The connection between chossid and Rebbe reach higher and deeper than intellect.

Anyone who was in Crown Heights for sukkos up to (and including) 5752 couldn't care less about an Esrog. We made a ברכה on the Esrog the Rebbe chose and used, and that was all that mattered. No one showed off Esrogim in shul. Unfortunately things have changed, but at least for people of a certain age (and/or conviction) the concept of having the nicest Esrog we can buy is simply foreign.

I literally felt like I have to look in the mirror to make sure I still have a full beard, after I agreed to pay so much for an Esrog this year.
-- Dan

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2017, 09:30:29 PM »

While Chabad stands for חכמה בינה ודעת, those alone don't make one a chossid. One cannot be a chosid without a Rebbe. The connection between chossid and Rebbe reach higher and deeper than intellect.

Anyone who was in Crown Heights for sukkos up to (and including) 5752 couldn't care less about an Esrog. We made a ברכה on the Esrog the Rebbe chose and used, and that was all that mattered. No one showed off Esrogim in shul. Unfortunately things have changed, but at least for people of a certain age (and/or conviction) the concept of having the nicest Esrog we can buy is simply foreign.

I literally felt like I have to look in the mirror to make sure I still have a full beard, after I agreed to pay so much for an Esrog this year.

I'm not sure what you are saying is a good thing.

Spending money on mitzvas is very special and I don't think anyone will tell you the Rebbe didn't want that to be a part of Jews/chassidims lives.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2017, 09:32:19 PM »
I'm not sure what you are saying is a good thing.

Spending money on mitzvas is very special
So do you want to buy my Esrog for $2,000?

and I don't think anyone will tell you the Rebbe didn't want that to be a part of Jews/chassidims lives.
What the Rebbe said is far from a secret. I don't know if there's anyone who has so much of what he said publicl, as well as thousands of letters, printed and readily available. Please back up your claims with quotes.

Don't get me wrong, I am not totally refuting the importance of חביבות מצוה (there might even be some of my own quotes around DDF for that. HOWEVER, the Rebbe did set quite clear PRIORITIES, some explicitly, some implicitly, and some are just understood by some (or many). IMHO spending big $ on an Esrog is not one of them. Rather spend the same amount to buy a few sets so other yidden can do the Mitzvah.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 09:41:13 PM by ExGingi »
-- Dan

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2017, 09:33:57 PM »
So do you want to buy my Esrog for $2,000?
No but if that was the price, I would try to not bemoan the fact that it is, I would try and appreciate how special it is. Just like my morah taught me in kindergarten.

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2017, 09:37:21 PM »

While Chabad stands for חכמה בינה ודעת, those alone don't make one a chossid. One cannot be a chossid without a Rebbe. The connection between chossid and Rebbe reach higher and deeper than intellect.

Y'all didn't used to have your own sets?

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2017, 09:48:38 PM »
No but if that was the price, I would try to not bemoan the fact that it is, I would try and appreciate how special it is. Just like my morah taught me in kindergarten.
See my edit above.

In case you misunderstood me, let me clarify. If that was the regular price of a high low-end or of an average Esrog, I wouldn't have a problem. What makes me feel awkward is that I paid this year somewhere between 2x and 3x the price I would pay every year, WHILE OTHERS PAID THOSE PRICES EVERY YEAR and it made them feel good and important. I don't want to be in that category! I never believed I would pay this much for a set (though in some years I've paid for Hadassim almost as much as the rest of the set, but that's a different story).
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2017, 09:53:55 PM »
Y'all didn't used to have your own sets?
Before 5752 bochurim very rarely had their own sets. Married people had sets, but if they were in Crown Heights they made a brocho on the Rebbe's set too. They used their own sets for Davening, mivtzoim, and for women and children in the family to make a brocho.

I was never in Kfar Chabad for sukkos before I was married (was there only one time since), but from what I understand there were a handful of Yanover Esrogim in Kfar Chabad, and most people would make a brocho on those, and then use their own for Davening (and mivtzoim).
-- Dan

Offline Yammer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2017, 12:32:24 AM »
Ppl have minhagim about these things. Why do you find it "ibergtibben"?
@Dan Pls add a poll.

But just as a btw, not only Chabbad uses Yanover

Offline yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2017, 08:59:49 AM »
Ppl have minhagim about these things. Why do you find it "ibergtibben"?

But just as a btw, not only Chabbad uses Yanover
I use Yanover Esrogim, as well. But I don't see why it should be any less desirable if it was grown in EY.

Offline Dave321

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2017, 10:40:00 AM »
im using a real ynavoer from calabria italy. end of story.