Topic Wiki

https://www.dansdeals.com/points-travel/milespoints/final-days-transfer-amex-points-el-al-mileage-deal-decade-everything-need-know-booking-el-al-awards-qantas/

You can transfer AMEX Or Citi points to Qantas at a 1:1 ratio, Barclays points at a 1.4:1 ratio, Capital One points at a 2:1.5 ratio, or Marriott points to Qantas at a 60K:25K ratio.

Qantas doesn’t charge fuel surcharges for El Al flights.
Infants are free (besides taxes). They also get a regular checked baggage allowance of 23 kg.

QF runs regular transfer bonus promos. Be sure to transfer 500 points into your account and opt in for emails to get targeted.

Search availability on elal.com
Flights are bookable from NYC, BOS, MIA, and LAX.

SMS is the easiest way to contact Qantas. The number is 1-478-772-6827. This can be used for airports that are unavailable online.

NYC-TLV is 37.8k points each way in Y, 63k in premium economy and 78k in J.
On 9/18/19 premium economy will be going up to 70.8k and J will be going up to 90k (each way).
Cancellation fee is 6k points.
« Last edited by Dan on July 01, 2019, 09:46:55 PM »

Author Topic: Booking El Al with Qantas - master thread  (Read 305205 times)

Offline ad120

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Booking El Al with Qantas - master thread
« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2017, 10:51:43 PM »
My friend is booked on LY 008 for 10/08. He purchased his tickets via Main Street Travel. Does anyone here have experience with them and can comment on there competency? Will they be able to add his QF FFN to his LY res?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 11:00:26 PM by ad120 »

Offline high end hobo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 19, 2017, 10:35:19 AM »
My friend is booked on LY 008 for 10/08. He purchased his tickets via Main Street Travel. Does anyone here have experience with them and can comment on there competency? Will they be able to add his QF FFN to his LY res?
Lol they're competent and should be able to

Offline chff

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2017, 11:16:20 AM »
What a question

Offline moe8555

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
« Reply #83 on: October 23, 2017, 03:54:28 AM »
I didn't see this mentioned anywhere, but now that El Al can be booked via Qantas, there is another interesting way to accrue Qantas miles.

Accor points transfer to Qantas 1:1 (2000 Accor to 2000 Qantas).  Not necessarily the best way to use them (2000 Accor can also give you 40 EUR off at one of their hotels), but if you just need to top off it can do the trick.  Also, no other hotel has a 1:1 to Qantas.

I haven't found anyway to buy/earn Accor besides actual stays or rental cars, but they do partner with E-Rewards at a very good redemption rate.  $60 E-Rewards = 1000 Accor with no limit to number of redemptions per period. (Obviously you should work on Accor redemptions only after completing your monthly airline redemption of $100 E-Rewards to 2000 miles).

Offline elya

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 23, 2017, 12:32:06 PM »
I didn't see this mentioned anywhere, but now that El Al can be booked via Qantas, there is another interesting way to accrue Qantas miles.

Accor points transfer to Qantas 1:1 (2000 Accor to 2000 Qantas).  Not necessarily the best way to use them (2000 Accor can also give you 40 EUR off at one of their hotels), but if you just need to top off it can do the trick.  Also, no other hotel has a 1:1 to Qantas.

I haven't found anyway to buy/earn Accor besides actual stays or rental cars, but they do partner with E-Rewards at a very good redemption rate.  $60 E-Rewards = 1000 Accor with no limit to number of redemptions per period. (Obviously you should work on Accor redemptions only after completing your monthly airline redemption of $100 E-Rewards to 2000 miles).
Very informative.
Thanks alot.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #85 on: October 24, 2017, 03:06:27 PM »
What a question
A classical question for someone who earns miles only by flying and redeems at terrible rates (if at all).
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline chff

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #86 on: October 24, 2017, 03:25:24 PM »
A classical question for someone who earns miles only by flying and redeems at terrible rates (if at all).

I was referring to his Q if that agency can add it...

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #87 on: October 24, 2017, 04:41:11 PM »
I was referring to his Q if that agency can add it...
My reply still stands.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline ADG

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 25, 2017, 01:20:14 PM »
Is there a way to know if there is availability without calling. (like a 12.5k on AA will be found on BA)?

Thanks

Online shapsam

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 25, 2017, 01:24:45 PM »
Is there a way to know if there is availability without calling. (like a 12.5k on AA will be found on BA)?

Thanks
LY's webiste?

Offline ADG

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 25, 2017, 05:23:51 PM »
LY's webiste?

You mean if there is award availability?

Online shapsam

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 25, 2017, 06:26:22 PM »
You mean if there is award availability?
Yes

Offline bmw

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 29, 2017, 02:04:23 PM »
After some trial and error the last week and actually booking some elal tickets with qf points, I can give a few pointers. 1, avoid the cape town call center at all costs, even when it seems like they can help they just end up botching things up, [huca won’t work too much, during daytime hours in the us they sometimes only have 5 reps there], the key is to speak to the Australian  call center which is open from 7am to 7pm [Australian EST], however when calling from the us even during those hours you stand a high chance of getting routed there [you can hear on their accent, or ask them straight out], the trick is to call during abovementioned open hours, select option 2 to speak to the ff team [they only operate down under], tell them you want to make a point booking and they’ll transfer you to the down under reservation call center. All the reps I spoke to in that call center found the elal seats straight away and had no problem building a reservation, taxes were $9 outbound $45 the return leg. You have to make sure they waive the booking fee since it can’t be booked online. Changes are 5k, cancellations 6k, no fee within the first 24 hours.

Availability seemed to correspond more or less to elal.com, some coach seats actually being available by the seats which didn’t show on elal.com, but on the whole it was identical, business seemed to be a bit less. On all occasions ticketing didn’t occur straight away, once I rang the next day and they issued it on the spot, sometimes I had to ring twice and was done within a few hours. be aware that when booking foe someone else things can get a bit tiresome with their security questions, [how are you related, are you authorized ? of course it’s my points !!]. So it’s actually quite simple to get the actual booking done if you follow the above procedure, you just got to stand on top of them to get it issued [make sure you have something to pass the time while you wait on hold]. Good luck.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #93 on: October 29, 2017, 02:18:01 PM »
Good stuff, thanks.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #94 on: October 29, 2017, 02:19:12 PM »
After some trial and error the last week and actually booking some elal tickets with qf points, I can give a few pointers. 1, avoid the cape town call center at all costs, even when it seems like they can help they just end up botching things up, [huca won’t work too much, during daytime hours in the us they sometimes only have 5 reps there], the key is to speak to the Australian  call center which is open from 7am to 7pm [Australian EST], however when calling from the us even during those hours you stand a high chance of getting routed there [you can hear on their accent, or ask them straight out], the trick is to call during abovementioned open hours, select option 2 to speak to the ff team [they only operate down under], tell them you want to make a point booking and they’ll transfer you to the down under reservation call center. All the reps I spoke to in that call center found the elal seats straight away and had no problem building a reservation, taxes were $9 outbound $45 the return leg. You have to make sure they waive the booking fee since it can’t be booked online. Changes are 5k, cancellations 6k, no fee within the first 24 hours.

Availability seemed to correspond more or less to elal.com, some coach seats actually being available by the seats which didn’t show on elal.com, but on the whole it was identical, business seemed to be a bit less. On all occasions ticketing didn’t occur straight away, once I rang the next day and they issued it on the spot, sometimes I had to ring twice and was done within a few hours. be aware that when booking foe someone else things can get a bit tiresome with their security questions, [how are you related, are you authorized ? of course it’s my points !!]. So it’s actually quite simple to get the actual booking done if you follow the above procedure, you just got to stand on top of them to get it issued [make sure you have something to pass the time while you wait on hold]. Good luck.
This is for NYC or Europe/Australia?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #95 on: October 29, 2017, 02:28:22 PM »

Impossible. Once Dan posted his booking method it should have been killed within days.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #96 on: October 29, 2017, 02:28:40 PM »
This is for NYC or Europe/Australia?
Obviously NA-TLV.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 29, 2017, 02:30:00 PM »

On a more serious note, good to see my trial and error method worked perfectly!

This reservation agent insists that LY isn't a valid redemption partner, but she's transferring me to the frequent flyer department.
And punted back to reservations.
The QF frequent flyer rep says that only res agents can search for award space. Not our problem that they are incompetent. So sorry not sorry.

OMG
Got a competent rep...lets see what happens.
OK, I guess that's the trick to get someone competent.
If anyone actually has a confirmed booking please let me know.

Offline bmw

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 29, 2017, 04:00:58 PM »
its no glitch, so no reason it should be killed. if anything eventually they should load them online. there is a chance that surcharges might come with as is the case on some other routes available online. the opening of these seats is probaly has to do with the enhancement of the qantas elal relationship [on bibis recent visit down under] which also lead to business and first elal seats becoming available for qantas ff members

Offline EJB

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 29, 2017, 04:22:39 PM »
its no glitch, so no reason it should be killed. if anything eventually they should load them online. there is a chance that surcharges might come with as is the case on some other routes available online. the opening of these seats is probaly has to do with the enhancement of the qantas elal relationship [on bibis recent visit down under] which also lead to business and first elal seats becoming available for qantas ff members

But if more ppl redeem they may raise redemption price.