Author Topic: Paying off before statement close  (Read 3368 times)

Offline LAXtraveler

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis Preferred, National Executive, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Paying off before statement close
« on: June 26, 2011, 07:33:42 PM »
Couldn't find this anywhere else, but if it is somewhere please merge (and let me know where to find it).

What are you benefits of paying off completely my statement prior to the statement closing? (I.e.: If my statement closes on the 30th of June what's the benefit of me paying it off before then?)

Offline smurf

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
Re: Paying off before statement close
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 07:36:30 PM »
Couldn't find this anywhere else, but if it is somewhere please merge (and let me know where to find it).

What are you benefits of paying off completely my statement prior to the statement closing? (I.e.: If my statement closes on the 30th of June what's the benefit of me paying it off before then?)
The reported utilization will only be the remaining balance at statement closing.
Although many would argue that you're better off leaving some balance so that it doesn't report as a dormant card.

Offline LAXtraveler

• View Profile
  • Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis Preferred, National Executive, Hertz #1 Club Gold
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 07:37:49 PM »
The reported utilization will only be the remaining balance at statement closing.
Although many would argue that you're better off leaving some balance so that it doesn't report as a dormant card.

So it will continuously look lower if I pay it off in advance?

Offline smurf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 07:38:45 PM »
Yup.
No matter how much you charge on the card the companies only report to the bureaus what your closing balance is.
I actually got declined for a card due to high utilization but after doing the above for a few months I've gotten many approvals.

Offline LAXtraveler

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 07:43:59 PM »
Yup.
No matter how much you charge on the card the companies only report to the bureaus what your closing balance is.
I actually got declined for a card due to high utilization but after doing the above for a few months I've gotten many approvals.

Awesome, thanks. I don't think I've ever really had a problem with credit utilization (thank Gd), but I might as well get in the habit of doing this anyway.

Offline Hudi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 09:00:37 PM »
Yup.

Will you receive points for the amount that you pay off early? It seems that you are only credited points for the amount that is in the final statement.

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 09:03:50 PM »
Yup.
Officially it once a month not necessarily statement balance. Was this your experience? Anyone else care to chime in? (When I get a chance I should really match balances to statements and post.)

Offline yaakov s

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 10:05:05 PM »

Will you receive points for the amount that you pay off early? It seems that you are only credited points for the amount that is in the final statement.
Yes you do

Offline smurf

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 10:26:49 PM »
Officially it once a month not necessarily statement balance. Was this your experience? Anyone else care to chime in? (When I get a chance I should really match balances to statements and post.)
In my experience paying before the statement closed solved my utilization issue. Also I got an alert from citi im when a statement closed with a higher balance

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 11:23:08 PM »

This is true with all of my cards except for one. My has advantage card closes on the 5th, but they report the balance on the 4th of every month.

Offline dans fan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 11:48:26 PM »
has anyone done this with a mortgage is it possible? 

Offline scwam

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 12:00:48 AM »
Been doing this on almost all cards. Chase seems to report exactly the balance on the day the statement prints and what the statement reflects (it is usually on the CR within 3 days of that print date). Amex seems to have a little bit more loose of a pattern on this. I've been doing this so long that my utilization has been too low less 3% and wonder if it's hurting my outlook. With Citi/chase it should be on the print date or within +/- 1 day. IIRC my citi was the same was chase statement date reporting.

Offline Nitantnel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 07:07:09 PM »
Been doing this on almost all cards. Chase seems to report exactly the balance on the day the statement prints and what the statement reflects (it is usually on the CR within 3 days of that print date). Amex seems to have a little bit more loose of a pattern on this. I've been doing this so long that my utilization has been too low less 3% and wonder if it's hurting my outlook. With Citi/chase it should be on the print date or within +/- 1 day. IIRC my citi was the same was chase statement date reporting.
It is not.

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
  • Programs: HHonors Gold, Delta Diamond Medallion, AA Platinum Pro
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 01:01:03 AM »
Yup.
made a search and got to this topic.

i was wondering the same thing regarding paying early, but i thought that its better to close statement with more money due - because the CC companies want to see that you spend.
for example when i called recon for a card they told me that we dont see enough payments being made. - does that mean not enough money or didnt have the card long enough?
if its the first way, then even if i close the statement with $100 thats fine?

Offline txtmax4

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 01:17:55 AM »
IME reporting date is unrelated to statement date.
If You See Something, Say Something!!

Offline SGF

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz President Circle
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2012, 01:18:43 AM »
made a search and got to this topic.

i was wondering the same thing regarding paying early, but i thought that its better to close statement with more money due - because the CC companies want to see that you spend.
for example when i called recon for a card they told me that we dont see enough payments being made. - does that mean not enough money or didnt have the card long enough?
if its the first way, then even if i close the statement with $100 thats fine?

maybe its because you didnt pay at all any bill yet
A little over a month ago i got accepted for the SP.
then i decided to do a 2BM on UA and BA. and app status line told me 2 weeks for one and 7-10 days on other.
so i called recon and they only mentioned the UA and she put in a request and said denied bec i just opened the SP and they want to see more activity. so i HUCA and the rep spoke to me about the BA and said withen 2 weks ill get notified (and it seems good). then i HUCA and spoke to a mean rep, and she said about the UA that i opened way too many cards in the past year and half and i cant have more (besides that i applied for the BA as well). so i HUCA one last time and she spoke about the UA and said that i already spoke to a rep and it says in notes that i dont have enough activity on SP (i havent paid a bill yet)

in short it seems that BA will get accepted and UA not. is there any use of calling again tommorow?

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
  • Programs: HHonors Gold, Delta Diamond Medallion, AA Platinum Pro
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2012, 01:32:53 AM »
maybe its because you didnt pay at all any bill yet
true with that specific card. but im referring to another card as well that i did pay plenty of times and when i called them for an increase, lets say, they were telling me that my statements have been closing with less then i actually paid, since i paid it before the statement closed

and regarding the card that i never paid a bill, so if i pay the bill now (before the statement closes) will it do me any good?

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2012, 01:39:38 AM »
IME, some cards report when the statement closes and others just have a set date.

E.g. My Has advantage reports every month on the 5th.
My discover cc reports the friday after the statement closes.

Offline jack12

• View Profile
  • Programs: National Emerald Club Executive Elite, Hertz #1 Club Gold Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2012, 10:53:40 PM »
if you call and ask what date it gets reported, they probably will tell you...

Offline dginz

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz #1 Five Star
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2012, 11:52:40 PM »
So what would be the best thing to do?
To pay it once a month or pay it as many times as you want throughout the month?