Topic Wiki

BRG is a way of getting compensation for finding a cheaper rate then the one offered by the hotel website.  Compensation varies greatly by the hotel brand policy. It can be in the one following: first night free, gift cards, matched rate with an additional percent discount as well as bonus points.

Hotel brand/ site compensation policy
Please note: most will match the rate plus give compensation.
Choice hotel : $50 VISA gift card plus rate matched (US residents) OR first night free plus rate matched (non-US residents). It goes by the address you write on the reservation so if you Write down an Israel (or anywhere non U.S) address, you're good
Ihg: rate matched plus 5x points for the reservation
Best Western: rate matched plus 100$ BW travel card
Marriott: 25% off matched rate or 5,000 Marriott points
Hyatt: 20% off matched rate or 5,000 Hyatt points
Hilton: 25% off matched rate
Wyndham: rate matched plus 3,000 Wyndham points

How to find a brg claim
Search for the hotel and dates of your choice and then the fun begins.
Hotel price comparison web sites are great way of finding BRGs. Some of the following work very well:

TripAdvisor.com
Hotelscombined.com
Trivago.com
Wego.com

If you want some tutorial articles about how BRGs work, how to find them, how to match them, and all the details, go to http://brgdeals.blogspot.com/ and read the articles.

The site run by a guy named David, and he also finds BRGs and posts them there. So If you don't want to start making one yourself, just go to his site, search for the city you need and see if there are any current BRGs available. You can also be spontaneous and look at his most recent finds (he posts new ones almost daily), although you may have not planned a trip, but if you can get it free (or discounted) hey why not.

How to claim a brg
You do need to book the hotel first and then file a BRG claim.  Just search the hotels/ third party site for a best rate gaurantee policy and you should be able to find a link to a brg claim form. Be aware that room and conditions need to be a perfect match.
As they often find ways to wiggle out of this policy it's not advised to book a non refundable room unless you would have stayed there regardless.

Redeeming brgs
No  diff as to the form of compensation ( discount or free night) redeeming Is all the same. Your reservation will look like a standard reservation except it will be either discounted or show a 00.00 balance. Most hotel receptionists aren't familiar with brgs and automatically assume that it's a points stay.

Why I love choice brgs
Choice hotels include brands like quality inn, comfort inn, rodeway and of course the ascend collection. They are fairly easy when it comes to approving claims as long as you stick to the following:
- 1 claim per household per 30 days
- price match before taxes (ymmv on this one)
- your claim is submitted / approved 72 hours before your scheduled stay
However even within those policy's there are plenty of loop
Holes.

When Posting a brg please use the following Example format:

BRG claim for: Choice Hotels
Hotel Name: comfort suites
Hotel Add: 320 North Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL, US, 60601
Room Type: Queen Suite
Room Rate:197
Better rate found: Hotelscombined.com
Better Rate: 127
« Last edited by a mirrer on August 05, 2019, 01:23:12 PM »

Author Topic: Free hotels/Best rate guarantee  (Read 432378 times)

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
Re: Free hotels/Best rate guarantee
« Reply #1600 on: January 08, 2015, 01:35:07 PM »
SPG raises the BRG to 20% off.
"In the unlikely event that a lower rate at a Starwood Hotel is made available on a non-Starwood website or non-Starwood mobile application (the “Competing Rate”), upon its receipt of a claim that satisfies these Best Rate Guarantee terms and conditions (the “BRG Terms”), Starwood will honor that Competing Rate and provide the individual that submitted the valid claim one of the following rewards: (1) an additional 20% discount off the Competing Rate per room per night; or (2) 2,000 Starwood Preferred Guest® Starpoints® per room per stay."

Offline aryeh1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: January 08, 2015, 02:42:55 PM »
Thanks for choosing best western Premier.We had system error as a result the rates were not installed in a system.The Best rate for 21st will be $69.99 plus taxes.So we will not be able to Honor the rate $19.99 plus taxes.So either we have to cancel your reservation or we have to update the rate to $69.99 plus taxes.

Anything to do?

Offline Yehuda25

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: January 20, 2015, 02:58:18 PM »
Update on my BRG with IHG, I originally booked with a temporary number, then as soon as the BRG was approved gave them a valid card, which was charged, then refunded a couple days ago.

Dear Mr,

Greetings from the Best Price Guarantee Help Desk of IHG, we are writing with regard to your upcoming stay at the InterContinental .... for which you have filed a claim for this program.

We understand that you have filed a claim for the Best Price Guarantee last ........ 2015 and we have initially confirmed it to be valid. However, the hotel has informed us that the credit card used to guarantee the reservation was declined by the hotel system. Please be advised that you booked the Advance Purchase Rate which requires prepayment or deposit. Since the credit card on file was denied the reservation was deemed invalid.

Book. Complete a valid room booking with the lowest available price (room rate) on any IHG website for any IHG branded hotel using the “Best Available Rate Search.” A “valid room booking” means a complete booking with an approved credit card.

This would mean that the free night has since been forfeited in line with the Terms and Conditions of the Best Price Guarantee program. For more assistance with regard to the billing of your reservation, please contact the hotel directly as all charges are processed directly by the hotel. You may also visit www.ihg.com/bestprice for more information about the program.

We appreciate your interest in filing for the Best Price Guarantee and if you need further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Best Regards,

Bust!!!!
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

― Aristotle

Offline @Yehuda

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: January 20, 2015, 03:09:48 PM »
 :'(

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: January 20, 2015, 03:29:09 PM »
Update on my BRG with IHG, I originally booked with a temporary number, then as soon as the BRG was approved gave them a valid card, which was charged, then refunded a couple days ago.

Dear Mr,

Greetings from the Best Price Guarantee Help Desk of IHG, we are writing with regard to your upcoming stay at the InterContinental .... for which you have filed a claim for this program.

We understand that you have filed a claim for the Best Price Guarantee last ........ 2015 and we have initially confirmed it to be valid. However, the hotel has informed us that the credit card used to guarantee the reservation was declined by the hotel system. Please be advised that you booked the Advance Purchase Rate which requires prepayment or deposit. Since the credit card on file was denied the reservation was deemed invalid.

Book. Complete a valid room booking with the lowest available price (room rate) on any IHG website for any IHG branded hotel using the “Best Available Rate Search.” A “valid room booking” means a complete booking with an approved credit card.

This would mean that the free night has since been forfeited in line with the Terms and Conditions of the Best Price Guarantee program. For more assistance with regard to the billing of your reservation, please contact the hotel directly as all charges are processed directly by the hotel. You may also visit www.ihg.com/bestprice for more information about the program.

We appreciate your interest in filing for the Best Price Guarantee and if you need further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Best Regards,

Bust!!!!
Why didn't you keep the temp number? 

Offline Yehuda25

• View Profile
« Reply #1605 on: January 20, 2015, 03:33:13 PM »
Why didn't you keep the temp number?
It wouldn't have gone through when they would attempt to charge it, it was a shop safe with a $3 limit.

― Aristotle

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: January 20, 2015, 03:34:09 PM »
It wouldn't have gone through when they would attempt to charge it, it was a shop safe with a $3 limit.
Oh.  They didn't try charging it right away?

Offline Yehuda25

• View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: January 20, 2015, 03:37:39 PM »
Oh.  They didn't try charging it right away?
I'm not sure. What happened was, I had 2 reservations, one they called me to tell me that the card didn't go through, that BRG was denied anyhow. this one I presumed that they never tried charging, because they never called me. Its possible that when the BRG team spoke to the hotel, they confused the reservations, and therefore thought that this was denied as well.

― Aristotle

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: January 21, 2015, 05:41:41 AM »
seems to be a new vegas BRG that gives a free night
http://www.vegas.buzz/index.php/better-than-best-rates-guarantee/

Offline freeroomguy

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
    • The BRG Deals Blog
« Reply #1609 on: January 21, 2015, 08:34:56 AM »

I need to start posting these deals on my blog! The Vegas Buzz prices are hard to beat though! The only site that I can see that has lower rates than them (with free cancellation) is Hotelwiz.com. A site that I also looked at was bestofvegas.com, but they charge a small fee if the hotel booking is cancelled. Because of this, BOV would not match up with a Vegas Buzz booking. Too bad - they had Circus Circus lower (not my first choice for a Vegas hotel, but at least this shows that other sites do have lower rates!) If any of you try this BRG and it works out, let me know, will you?

Offline shimino1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: January 21, 2015, 09:13:34 AM »
Good find.
Value is caped at 100$

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: January 21, 2015, 09:18:50 AM »
I need to start posting these deals on my blog! The Vegas Buzz prices are hard to beat though! The only site that I can see that has lower rates than them (with free cancellation) is Hotelwiz.com. A site that I also looked at was bestofvegas.com, but they charge a small fee if the hotel booking is cancelled. Because of this, BOV would not match up with a Vegas Buzz booking. Too bad - they had Circus Circus lower (not my first choice for a Vegas hotel, but at least this shows that other sites do have lower rates!) If any of you try this BRG and it works out, let me know, will you?
As a small business I'm assuming they will be very tough with the terms

Offline Yehuda25

• View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: January 21, 2015, 09:37:58 AM »
As a small business I'm assuming they will be very tough with the terms
Possibly, though IHG definitely isn't small...

― Aristotle

Offline freeroomguy

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
    • The BRG Deals Blog
« Reply #1613 on: January 21, 2015, 09:49:57 AM »
They can't beat Travelocity's rate of $9 for the Golden Gate Hotel Downtown! (on sample date 2/10) Vegas Buzz has it for $20.46 for that date. Travelocity has the option of doing a "Pay-at-Stay" or "Pay Now" booking. Wonder if that would work? Of course, if I were to get a free room, I would hope for a pricier hotel like the Bellagio. Here I would save $9 but still have a $16 resort fee to pay!

Offline shimino1

• View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: January 26, 2015, 05:06:40 PM »
Just got approved today for a couple of Intercontinental rooms. One suite, one club room.
It's not that hard guys, search and you will find....

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: January 26, 2015, 05:24:14 PM »
Hi, Does anyone know what might be the best chase card. I'm looking at the Chase freedom which looks pretty good. Someone told me that the Continental Chase card is also pretty good. Can someone please give me some input on this.

Cheers.

Nice! :)
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline MosheD

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: January 26, 2015, 07:07:40 PM »
Just got approved today for a couple of Intercontinental rooms. One suite, one club room.
We need to have a DO where you teach me... I have tried and it is ultra frustrating that I can never get it but I have you and others insisting it's not that hard
Have you perfected a method?

Offline MosheD

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: January 26, 2015, 07:07:40 PM »
We need to have a DO where you teach me... I have tried and it is ultra frustrating that I can never get it but I have you and others insisting it's not that hard

Offline shimino1

• View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: January 27, 2015, 01:45:37 AM »
1. I choose a hotel and date and open it in one tab.

2. Then I open new tabs for Booking.com, Hotels.com, Getaroom.com, Amoma.com, Priceline.com etc'

3. I then compare one website at a time, checking out ALL the room types (I've found that most BRG's are with the higher level rooms).

4. Book and submit a claim.

Don't forget to compare non-refundable rooms since often those have a better chance due to the cancelation policies having to match.

GOOD LUCK!

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: January 27, 2015, 03:28:54 AM »
Which country?