Topic Wiki

BRG is a way of getting compensation for finding a cheaper rate then the one offered by the hotel website.  Compensation varies greatly by the hotel brand policy. It can be in the one following: first night free, gift cards, matched rate with an additional percent discount as well as bonus points.

Hotel brand/ site compensation policy
Please note: most will match the rate plus give compensation.
Choice hotel : $50 VISA gift card plus rate matched (US residents) OR first night free plus rate matched (non-US residents). It goes by the address you write on the reservation so if you Write down an Israel (or anywhere non U.S) address, you're good
Ihg: rate matched plus 5x points for the reservation
Best Western: rate matched plus 100$ BW travel card
Marriott: 25% off matched rate or 5,000 Marriott points
Hyatt: 20% off matched rate or 5,000 Hyatt points
Hilton: 25% off matched rate
Wyndham: rate matched plus 3,000 Wyndham points

How to find a brg claim
Search for the hotel and dates of your choice and then the fun begins.
Hotel price comparison web sites are great way of finding BRGs. Some of the following work very well:

TripAdvisor.com
Hotelscombined.com
Trivago.com
Wego.com

If you want some tutorial articles about how BRGs work, how to find them, how to match them, and all the details, go to http://brgdeals.blogspot.com/ and read the articles.

The site run by a guy named David, and he also finds BRGs and posts them there. So If you don't want to start making one yourself, just go to his site, search for the city you need and see if there are any current BRGs available. You can also be spontaneous and look at his most recent finds (he posts new ones almost daily), although you may have not planned a trip, but if you can get it free (or discounted) hey why not.

How to claim a brg
You do need to book the hotel first and then file a BRG claim.  Just search the hotels/ third party site for a best rate gaurantee policy and you should be able to find a link to a brg claim form. Be aware that room and conditions need to be a perfect match.
As they often find ways to wiggle out of this policy it's not advised to book a non refundable room unless you would have stayed there regardless.

Redeeming brgs
No  diff as to the form of compensation ( discount or free night) redeeming Is all the same. Your reservation will look like a standard reservation except it will be either discounted or show a 00.00 balance. Most hotel receptionists aren't familiar with brgs and automatically assume that it's a points stay.

Why I love choice brgs
Choice hotels include brands like quality inn, comfort inn, rodeway and of course the ascend collection. They are fairly easy when it comes to approving claims as long as you stick to the following:
- 1 claim per household per 30 days
- price match before taxes (ymmv on this one)
- your claim is submitted / approved 72 hours before your scheduled stay
However even within those policy's there are plenty of loop
Holes.

When Posting a brg please use the following Example format:

BRG claim for: Choice Hotels
Hotel Name: comfort suites
Hotel Add: 320 North Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL, US, 60601
Room Type: Queen Suite
Room Rate:197
Better rate found: Hotelscombined.com
Better Rate: 127
« Last edited by a mirrer on August 05, 2019, 01:23:12 PM »

Author Topic: Free hotels/Best rate guarantee  (Read 432467 times)

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
Re: Free hotels/Best rate guarantee
« Reply #1660 on: January 30, 2015, 02:36:01 AM »
Regarding choice brg's rule of no more than 1 per 30 days per household, what info do they go by to match it up?

Offline euphor

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: February 04, 2015, 11:33:08 PM »
I just booked an ihg hotel for less on a 3rd party website and they aren't willing to honor the brg because the rate isn't viewable anymore online cuz there was only 1 room left, I sent them screenshot and copy of confirmation email but they say they have to verify online...any way around this?

Online chucksterace

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 40
    • View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
  • Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Premier 1K; ; LY Plat; Hyatt Platinum; Hertz President's Circle; Avis President's Club
« Reply #1662 on: February 04, 2015, 11:35:29 PM »
I just booked an ihg hotel for less on a 3rd party website and they aren't willing to honor the brg because the rate isn't viewable anymore online cuz there was only 1 room left, I sent them screenshot and copy of confirmation email but they say they have to verify online...any way around this?

Nope.
You may not hold me responsible for any actions taken that were recommended from my account or username.

Offline Yehuda25

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: February 05, 2015, 07:27:27 AM »
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

― Aristotle

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: February 05, 2015, 07:31:11 AM »
+1 ihg is terrible with the brg
i agree they are very tough but that rule would apply by the others also

Offline shimino1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1665 on: February 08, 2015, 03:27:20 PM »
I stayed In December at the Intercontinental Times square on a BRG night where I was told that I would get a check after my stay.

I paid 750$ for the one night and contacted them after my stay for the check. I was then told that since my address on file wasn't in America (Israel), they don't send a check anymore and I would have to use the bank transfer.

I prefer the check since it doesn't have wire transfer fees but sent in my american account details anyway.
They then sent me an email claiming that since the address is in Israel I have to use an Israeli bank account to receive the funds.
I responded with an angry email saying that I am an American citizen with an American bank account and that I am NOT opening an Israeli bank account for their sake.

I was told that the matter had been forwarded and to wait for a reply. I waited for about 7 weeks while periodically sending emails asking for updates and them responding that they will let me know as soon as possible etc'

Today I finally got a reply saying they Issued a Dollar check and its on the way. They also gave me an extra 5000 points.

Total so far:
Free night.
15,600 points for the stay and from promotions.
5,000 points for the hassle.
1 Qualifying stay.

Gotta love IHG BRG!!!

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: February 08, 2015, 04:44:48 PM »
I stayed In December at the Intercontinental Times square on a BRG night where I was told that I would get a check after my stay.

I paid 750$ for the one night and contacted them after my stay for the check. I was then told that since my address on file wasn't in America (Israel), they don't send a check anymore and I would have to use the bank transfer.

I prefer the check since it doesn't have wire transfer fees but sent in my american account details anyway.
They then sent me an email claiming that since the address is in Israel I have to use an Israeli bank account to receive the funds.
I responded with an angry email saying that I am an American citizen with an American bank account and that I am NOT opening an Israeli bank account for their sake.

I was told that the matter had been forwarded and to wait for a reply. I waited for about 7 weeks while periodically sending emails asking for updates and them responding that they will let me know as soon as possible etc'

Today I finally got a reply saying they Issued a Dollar check and its on the way. They also gave me an extra 5000 points.

Total so far:
Free night.
1 Qualifying stay.

Gotta love IHG BRG!!!

Nice!

Offline Yehoshua

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: February 11, 2015, 04:15:37 PM »
I submitted a Choice BRG yesterday and they claim they cannot see the hotel I booked on getaroom.com (the site that was cheaper). Any tips for getting it approved? I sent them links and screenshots.

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: February 12, 2015, 04:59:43 AM »
I submitted a Choice BRG yesterday and they claim they cannot see the hotel I booked on getaroom.com (the site that was cheaper). Any tips for getting it approved? I sent them links and screenshots.
While choice is better than ihg when it comes to reconsidering after responding,  If still available I would prob just resubmit

Offline Yehoshua

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: February 12, 2015, 08:39:36 AM »
While choice is better than ihg when it comes to reconsidering after responding,  If still available I would prob just resubmit
Thanks

Offline Yehuda25

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: February 12, 2015, 09:10:12 AM »
Update on my BRG with IHG, I originally booked with a temporary number, then as soon as the BRG was approved gave them a valid card, which was charged, then refunded a couple days ago.

Dear Mr,

Greetings from the Best Price Guarantee Help Desk of IHG, we are writing with regard to your upcoming stay at the InterContinental .... for which you have filed a claim for this program.

We understand that you have filed a claim for the Best Price Guarantee last ........ 2015 and we have initially confirmed it to be valid. However, the hotel has informed us that the credit card used to guarantee the reservation was declined by the hotel system. Please be advised that you booked the Advance Purchase Rate which requires prepayment or deposit. Since the credit card on file was denied the reservation was deemed invalid.

Book. Complete a valid room booking with the lowest available price (room rate) on any IHG website for any IHG branded hotel using the “Best Available Rate Search.” A “valid room booking” means a complete booking with an approved credit card.

This would mean that the free night has since been forfeited in line with the Terms and Conditions of the Best Price Guarantee program. For more assistance with regard to the billing of your reservation, please contact the hotel directly as all charges are processed directly by the hotel. You may also visit www.ihg.com/bestprice for more information about the program.

We appreciate your interest in filing for the Best Price Guarantee and if you need further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Best Regards,

Bust!!!!
Update: The reservation is still active, and says paid for, anybody have experience with that?
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

― Aristotle

Offline shimino1

• View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: February 12, 2015, 09:14:56 AM »
Update: The reservation is still active, and says paid for, anybody have experience with that?
Call the hotel directly and ask if they see a reservation under your name and if it was paid

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: February 23, 2015, 10:02:20 AM »
seems to be a new vegas BRG that gives a free night
http://www.vegas.buzz/index.php/better-than-best-rates-guarantee/
they changed their terms so that you need a minimum 2 night stay now
terms got changed back to original

Offline shimino1

• View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: February 24, 2015, 01:47:29 AM »

Total so far:
Free night.
1 Qualifying stay.

Gotta love IHG BRG!!!

Update: Got the check :-)

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: March 08, 2015, 07:30:46 AM »
No problam with Booking, Hotels, Venere, Amoma. YMMV with Priceline and Getaroom.
all those cancellation policies are different then IHG, they still approve you?

Offline shimino1

• View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: March 08, 2015, 10:55:41 AM »

Offline shimino1

• View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: March 08, 2015, 10:56:24 AM »
That qoute is regarding curency types needing to match.
In regards to cancellation policies, IINM Booking.com always matches  perfectly. YMMV on everything else.
I've gotten approved a few times with non-matching cancell policies, total YMMV.

Offline Emkay

• View Profile

Offline AharonInIsrael

• View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: March 09, 2015, 03:16:58 PM »
Keep getting stuck.

Does offering someone $20 to help me find a BRG at one of three specific hotels in Rome fly around here?

Offline blue eyes

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: March 10, 2015, 01:12:13 AM »
You can try me...
Haven't visited this thread in forever!!