Topic Wiki

BRG is a way of getting compensation for finding a cheaper rate then the one offered by the hotel website.  Compensation varies greatly by the hotel brand policy. It can be in the one following: first night free, gift cards, matched rate with an additional percent discount as well as bonus points.

Hotel brand/ site compensation policy
Please note: most will match the rate plus give compensation.
Choice hotel : $50 VISA gift card plus rate matched (US residents) OR first night free plus rate matched (non-US residents). It goes by the address you write on the reservation so if you Write down an Israel (or anywhere non U.S) address, you're good
Ihg: rate matched plus 5x points for the reservation
Best Western: rate matched plus 100$ BW travel card
Marriott: 25% off matched rate or 5,000 Marriott points
Hyatt: 20% off matched rate or 5,000 Hyatt points
Hilton: 25% off matched rate
Wyndham: rate matched plus 3,000 Wyndham points

How to find a brg claim
Search for the hotel and dates of your choice and then the fun begins.
Hotel price comparison web sites are great way of finding BRGs. Some of the following work very well:

TripAdvisor.com
Hotelscombined.com
Trivago.com
Wego.com

If you want some tutorial articles about how BRGs work, how to find them, how to match them, and all the details, go to http://brgdeals.blogspot.com/ and read the articles.

The site run by a guy named David, and he also finds BRGs and posts them there. So If you don't want to start making one yourself, just go to his site, search for the city you need and see if there are any current BRGs available. You can also be spontaneous and look at his most recent finds (he posts new ones almost daily), although you may have not planned a trip, but if you can get it free (or discounted) hey why not.

How to claim a brg
You do need to book the hotel first and then file a BRG claim.  Just search the hotels/ third party site for a best rate gaurantee policy and you should be able to find a link to a brg claim form. Be aware that room and conditions need to be a perfect match.
As they often find ways to wiggle out of this policy it's not advised to book a non refundable room unless you would have stayed there regardless.

Redeeming brgs
No  diff as to the form of compensation ( discount or free night) redeeming Is all the same. Your reservation will look like a standard reservation except it will be either discounted or show a 00.00 balance. Most hotel receptionists aren't familiar with brgs and automatically assume that it's a points stay.

Why I love choice brgs
Choice hotels include brands like quality inn, comfort inn, rodeway and of course the ascend collection. They are fairly easy when it comes to approving claims as long as you stick to the following:
- 1 claim per household per 30 days
- price match before taxes (ymmv on this one)
- your claim is submitted / approved 72 hours before your scheduled stay
However even within those policy's there are plenty of loop
Holes.

When Posting a brg please use the following Example format:

BRG claim for: Choice Hotels
Hotel Name: comfort suites
Hotel Add: 320 North Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL, US, 60601
Room Type: Queen Suite
Room Rate:197
Better rate found: Hotelscombined.com
Better Rate: 127
« Last edited by a mirrer on August 05, 2019, 01:23:12 PM »

Author Topic: Free hotels/Best rate guarantee  (Read 434631 times)

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: Free hotels/Best rate guarantee
« Reply #1860 on: July 20, 2015, 07:06:07 AM »
Never had a problem with Choice. The reps often don't seem to know how the night is free, but they never questioned it.

Offline SMS331

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: July 20, 2015, 10:00:32 AM »

Never had a problem with Choice. The reps often don't seem to know how the night is free, but they never questioned it.
+1

Offline Drago

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: July 20, 2015, 10:17:18 AM »
for night 2 we were off to the Crowne Plaza LAX. As with my past IHG BRG nights, I wasnt hassled at all about having a BRG reservation. Check-in greeted me warmly and confirmed that I had a "comp night". I was given a welcome drink at the bar for being a platinum member and was also given 2 free vouchers for the breakfast buffet (usually $20) since the club lounge is closed on weekends. actually a nice property, there was minimal noise from the airport (slept like a baby and didnt even need to use earplugs) and the service was excellent.
Good job. My only BRG was at the CP LAX as well.
I'm surprised that they gave you breakfast and lounge access as a Plat since those aren't published benefits.

Offline Geshmak25

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: July 20, 2015, 01:29:59 PM »
Looking at a suite for late august at a holiday inn worth $290. Willing to pay $150 to anybody that can find me a successful brg claim. PM if interested in details.
PUTPAC = PITA

Offline chayal101

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: July 23, 2015, 08:43:27 PM »
City? State?
Chaya L.

Offline MosheD

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: July 27, 2015, 12:12:48 PM »
1. I choose a hotel and date and open it in one tab.

2. Then I open new tabs for Booking.com, Hotels.com, Getaroom.com, Amoma.com, Priceline.com etc'

3. I then compare one website at a time, checking out ALL the room types (I've found that most BRG's are with the higher level rooms).

4. Book and submit a claim.

Don't forget to compare non-refundable rooms since often those have a better chance due to the cancelation policies having to match.

GOOD LUCK!
Well I just searched a while for this...

Offline Jm1248

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: July 27, 2015, 08:39:00 PM »
The problem with booking non refundable rooms and hoping for a Brg is that if you don't get approved you may get stuck with a heavily overpriced suite

Offline htg123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: July 27, 2015, 08:59:05 PM »
I just got back from a free weekend getaway in LA, thanks to Choice Hotels and IHG. both BRGs were very easy and quick to claim, and both showed my online confirmations to have a nightly rate of $0 after approval.  this was my first time with a Choice BRG.

first night we stayed at the Tilt Hotel Universal, a Choice property. upon check in the guy at the desk had me sign a paper reviewing charges ($0 nightly rate for room, $10 for parking) which is standard for all guests.  Within 15 minutes we receive a phone call in the room from the front desk, the guy wants our confirmation number since it was a $0 rate. OK easy enough, I brought a print out of the BRG confirmation email anyway just in case they asked about the free night.  The front desk man takes the confirmation number and makes a call to his manager.  He gets off the call, and says since the nightly rate is showing up as $0 he will just charge us the going rate of $189 a night. I quickly scolded him and said this is a complimentary night, it says on my email which I gave him and it came directly from Choice hotels. I said if I am charged for this night I will be very upset and will be contacting Choice Hotels to complain and dispute the charge. He responded that he wont charge me "yet" and then shoo'd me away. He never charged me for the room, luckily.  Very disappointing experience and it kinda ruined the stay bc i was thinking about what a PITA it will be to dispute this stupid thing if he ends up charging me.

for night 2 we were off to the Crowne Plaza LAX. As with my past IHG BRG nights, I wasnt hassled at all about having a BRG reservation. Check-in greeted me warmly and confirmed that I had a "comp night". I was given a welcome drink at the bar for being a platinum member and was also given 2 free vouchers for the breakfast buffet (usually $20) since the club lounge is closed on weekends. actually a nice property, there was minimal noise from the airport (slept like a baby and didnt even need to use earplugs) and the service was excellent.

interesting how different the two BRG experiences were. hopefully this isnt the norm with Choice and was just a problem with this one front desk guy. Always bring your BRG confirmation email with you, ALWAYS!!!!

i did a brg with choice in australia and the hotel charged me initially, then i emailed him explaining to speak to corporate and he got back to me saying it was a mistake...pretty smooth though

Offline cashasap

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: July 28, 2015, 02:42:33 PM »
looking for a brg @ holiday inn express in page arizona (lake powell) for august 10th checkout on 11th willing to pay 120 negotiable
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 02:49:31 PM by gimmeallyourcashasap »
Pinnaclewholesalegroup.com

Offline Luvtotravel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: July 28, 2015, 02:57:44 PM »
is it possible to do a brg for tomorrow night? on ihg website t&c it says it must be 24 hours prior to "standard check in time"
Don't wait for the perfect moment; take the moment and make it perfect.

Offline abo456

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: July 29, 2015, 02:40:15 PM »
It's funny how the rules apply differently on different properties. 2 months ago i submitted a BRG claim for a holiday Inn express. The IHG representative, Enrique, approved it even though the competing rate had a cancellation policy that was like 5 days out (IHG policy is 2 days out). Now I submit a claim for the Intercontinental and Enrique won't approve it because the cancellation dates aren't 100% the same. It's the same IHG rep and everything. Why enrique, why?????

Offline abo456

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: July 29, 2015, 02:42:11 PM »
is it possible to do a brg for tomorrow night? on ihg website t&c it says it must be 24 hours prior to "standard check in time"

Sometimes it takes awhile for the rate to be changed to complimentary. IHGs policy is they will give an initial responses within 24 hours but it may take longer to adjust the rate

Offline PPM

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: July 30, 2015, 05:12:55 AM »
If I got approved for IHG BPG, Do I have to pay or could the second person in the room pay?

Offline Jm1248

• View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: July 30, 2015, 09:18:21 AM »
If I got approved for IHG BPG, Do I have to pay or could the second person in the room pay?
Sometimes the rate gets changed to 0 and no one pays. Otherwise they charge the cc used when you made the booking and then credit you back

Offline PPM

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: July 30, 2015, 11:15:59 AM »
They ask me for a card at the hotel

Online Welder

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1875 on: August 03, 2015, 04:18:17 PM »
Can I submit a BRG for $0.01 or $0.05 difference?
"We need more welders and less philosophers" — Marco Rubio

Offline abo456

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: August 03, 2015, 05:16:23 PM »
Can I submit a BRG for $0.01 or $0.05 difference?

No, the IHG t&c say difference must be at least $1. I'm sure choice t&c is similar too.

Online Welder

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: August 03, 2015, 05:25:34 PM »
No, the IHG t&c say difference must be at least $1. I'm sure choice t&c is similar too.
Thanks.
"We need more welders and less philosophers" — Marco Rubio

Offline kangarruu

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: August 03, 2015, 06:25:54 PM »

Greater of $1 or 1%, if I'm not mistaken.

Edit to remove extra character.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 06:48:18 PM by kangarruu »

Offline coralsnake

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: August 03, 2015, 06:27:07 PM »
Greater of $1 or $1%, if I'm not mistaken.
+1
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan