Author Topic: "Proposition 65"  (Read 1297 times)

Offline txtmax4

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
"Proposition 65"
« on: June 27, 2011, 07:20:23 PM »
I just purchased a vacuum cleaner and as soon as I opened the box, I saw this warning on the front of the instruction manual:

Warning: The chords, wires and/or cables supplied with this product contains chemicals, including lead or lead compounds, known to the state of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. Wash hands after using.

Anyone know anything about this warning?
After a quick search, I came across something called the "proposition 65" of the state of California, though I'm not interested in doing tons of reading about it.

So my question is simple:
Is there a real concern in using this product and should I be returning it, or is that just one of the "legally required" warnings that can be overlooked?

Any insight is appreciated.

If You See Something, Say Something!!

Offline bosoxfan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: "Proposition 65"
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 07:47:52 PM »
It is absolutely nothing to be afraid of. California has some extreme laws when it comes to disclosing chemicals used in manufacturing. In fact any mirror or similar item(reflective tray) sold in CA would contain the same warning.

Offline Smokey Joe Robinson

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, Club Carlson Gold Elite, Best Western Diamond Elite, Marriott Rewards Silver, Hertz President's Circle, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, United Premier Silver
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 08:29:44 PM »
I just purchased a vacuum cleaner and as soon as I opened the box, I saw this warning on the front of the instruction manual:

Warning: The chords, wires and/or cables supplied with this product contains chemicals, including lead or lead compounds, known to the state of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. Wash hands after using.

Anyone know anything about this warning?
After a quick search, I came across something called the "proposition 65" of the state of California, though I'm not interested in doing tons of reading about it.

So my question is simple:
Is there a real concern in using this product and should I be returning it, or is that just one of the "legally required" warnings that can be overlooked?

Any insight is appreciated.
Im in the environmental hazard industry and Ive never heard such a thing.
My Programs Are Listed So That I Don't Forget Them :)

Offline ceejay

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 11:26:26 PM »
Yep the environmental loonies in the bankrupt state of CA are protecting you from the dangerous Dysons

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 11:30:00 PM »
They have similar signs in Starbucks in CA as well...