Author Topic: maldives and dubai  (Read 28499 times)

Offline damaxer91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: maldives and dubai
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2011, 11:17:24 AM »
Great Report! Makes me want to go back again!

Maybe I will ;)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2011, 11:27:51 AM »
That porch is stunning. Any reason you didnt stay at the new Hyatt?

$$?

Also, if you've been to tahiti/bora bora - how do the maldives compare?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2011, 11:36:01 AM »
Here we go again :D

Also, if you've been to tahiti/bora bora - how do the maldives compare?
No DDf'er has been to Bora Bora as far as I know.

Definitely easier for americans to get to a BOB resort than an MLE resort.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2011, 11:40:19 AM »

What did I do?

Yea, that's why I asked. Trying to determine if its worth the hassle of flying to MLE vs. BOB.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2011, 11:44:51 AM »

Lav Dafkeh with miles.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2011, 11:56:56 AM »
What did I do?
Chuchem and I debated that point extensively in the thread on the PH MLE.

Lav Dafkeh with miles.
Depends.

To get from the US to PPT isn't hard.  With AA there's TN from LAX or LA via South America and Easter Island if you're adventurous..  With DL there's AF and TN via LAX.  There's also HA via HNL which partners with multiple airlines.  With *A it's tougher, probably requiring going via AKL.

Then of course you need to buy a $500 flight from PPT to BOB.

But MLE is no picnic with miles as Chuchem said, especially now that CO and EK are no longer partners.  SPG to EK is probably the easiest routing from the US, but that will cost a ton of Starpoints.  EK A380 F is incredible through (showers onboard!) and readily bookable via YYZ and JFK.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline chuchem

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2011, 12:02:55 PM »

Look at the porch of a watervilla at the hyatt. half size, no pool and the villa is not even nice. The hyatt will not give a watervilla to diamonds...so whats the point?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2011, 12:04:35 PM »
The hyatt will not give a watervilla to diamonds...so whats the point?

That's not true.  There are upgrades available for purchase or for points even when on a free stay.  Also it seems if you tell the GM you'll give a good TA review you can probably get confirmed into something nicer for free...

I don't think the Hyatt villa looks all that bad.  And there's something to be said to being on a private island with probably about just 50 other guests.

I'm more curious to see if they would buy you kosher breakfast...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 12:08:13 PM by Dan »

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2011, 12:09:59 PM »
Chuchem and I debated that point extensively in the thread on the PH MLE.
Depends.

To get from the US to PPT isn't hard.  With AA there's TN from LAX or LA via South America and Easter Island if you're adventurous..  With DL there's AF and TN via LAX.  There's also HA via HNL which partners with multiple airlines.  With *A it's tougher, probably requiring going via AKL.

Then of course you need to buy a $500 flight from PPT to BOB.

But MLE is no picnic with miles as Chuchem said, especially now that CO and EK are no longer partners.  SPG to EK is probably the easiest routing from the US, but that will cost a ton of Starpoints.  EK A380 F is incredible through (showers onboard!) and readily bookable via YYZ and JFK.

Award availability isn't good from the US to PPT, especially for 2 in business. Still feasible though.
IPC-PPT Is once a week if I recall correctly, chances of getting that with miles, especially for 2 won't be easy.

The transfer fee from MLE seems to be similar.
Is there a hotel transfer fee in BOB

Personally, would probably fly CX JFK-HKG-CMB and pay $200 to fly EK J CMB-MLE.
Or JFK-ICN-SIN-MLE or similar which has decent availability. I know SQ SIN-MLE only release one seat at a time (usually, I have seen 2 at a time) but you can get one J and one Y and hope for the other to open.
Or book the other with SQ miles which usually has better availability.

Additionally, going to MLE gives you the option of so many other countries to see if you want to stopover.

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2011, 12:15:48 PM »
Even, if you pay for a upgrade, the park hyatt does not get close to this resort. Look at the rooms, compare the pictures on tripadvisor. For me and my wife it was the nicest part, just being able to use our own pool whenever we wanted.... a dream

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2011, 12:22:08 PM »
For Chuchem vs Dan: Round 1 see here.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2011, 12:28:34 PM »
Award availability isn't good from the US to PPT, especially for 2 in business. Still feasible though.
IPC-PPT Is once a week if I recall correctly, chances of getting that with miles, especially for 2 won't be easy.

The transfer fee from MLE seems to be similar.
Is there a hotel transfer fee in BOB

Personally, would probably fly CX JFK-HKG-CMB and pay $200 to fly EK J CMB-MLE.
Or JFK-ICN-SIN-MLE or similar which has decent availability. I know SQ SIN-MLE only release one seat at a time (usually, I have seen 2 at a time) but you can get one J and one Y and hope for the other to open.
Or book the other with SQ miles which usually has better availability.

Additionally, going to MLE gives you the option of so many other countries to see if you want to stopover.

Forgot about the hotel transfer fee to MLE.  That tips more towards BOB then.
Plus BOB isn't a muslim country...
CX-EK sounds great on paper, but not when you get down to the nitty-gritty.
Might work if you want to stop somewhere, but if you just want a relaxing vacation you might not survive the flight to/from MLE that way!

LAX-BOB:
Air Tahiti Nui 7    Dep LAX: 11:40PM    Arr PPT: 5:00AM Duration 8h 20m
Layover in PPT    2h 30m    
Air Tahiti 479 7:30 am Depart (PPT) Arrive (BOB) 8:20 am Duration: 0hr 50m
Total travel: 11h 40m

LAX-MLE:
Cathay Pacific 881    Dep LAX: 1:35AM    Arr HKG: 7:15AM    14h 40m
Layover in HKG        12h 50m    
Cathay Pacific 703    Dep HKG: 8:05PM    Arr BKK: 9:45PM    2h 40m    
Stop in BKK       1h 10m    
Cathay Pacific 703    Dep BKK: 10:55PM    Arr CMB: 12:40AM    3h 15m
Stop in CMB             20h 55m    
Emirates 653    Dep: 9:35PM    Arr: 10:35PM    1h 30m
MLE shuttle flight: 4 hours with layover and flight.
Total travel: 61h
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 12:35:05 PM by Dan »

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2011, 12:30:22 PM »
Lets do it a other way:
fellow dd members: Please look at pictures of the  constance halaveli and park hyatt

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g298322-d1627571-Reviews-Constance_Halaveli_Resort-

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g2104649-d1473123-Reviews-Park_Hyatt_Maldives_Hadahaa-Northern_Huvadhu_Atoll.html

Compare the pictures of the island and especially the watervillas. If you would be able to stay at both resorts for the same price, what would you pick?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2011, 12:31:17 PM »
Even, if you pay for a upgrade, the park hyatt does not get close to this resort. Look at the rooms, compare the pictures on tripadvisor. For me and my wife it was the nicest part, just being able to use our own pool whenever we wanted.... a dream
I really boils down to whether the GM will agree to upgrade you in advance to a OWB for free.
With that it's just a matter of opening a Hyatt and Sapphire card to stay for free.  And free is hard to beat!
Pools are nice, but do you really need one when you're in a OWB over beautiful warm ocean water?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 12:36:17 PM by Dan »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2011, 12:32:11 PM »
Compare the pictures of the island and especially the watervillas. If you would be able to stay at both resorts for the same price, what would you pick?
Who said anything about the same price??
We're comparing paying $500-$1,000 a night at your hotel versus staying with points or free nights from a credit card or 2.

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2011, 12:36:52 PM »
points have a value, you have to pay or use even more points to upgrade to the watervilla. You know, people pay 300 dollars for a free night and if you have to use more points or pay for a upgrade to a watervilla its also about 500 dollars. You are right, you can use points or free nights at the hyatt, but you can sell these for cash. So now that you sold it and have the same cash in your hand, make a choice

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2011, 12:39:49 PM »
points have a value, you have to pay or use even more points to upgrade to the watervilla. You know, people pay 300 dollars for a free night and if you have to use more points or pay for a upgrade to a watervilla its also about 500 dollars. You are right, you can use points or free nights at the hyatt, but you can sell these for cash. So now that you sold it and have the same cash in your hand, make a choice

Fair enough.
Let's say the free night is worth $250 you could've sold them for.
But you can use that night even in high season when the other hotels go for $1,000/night...
And even so you would have the hassle of finding a buyer, etc.  And you're going to pay at least $500 for the room instead of just using $250 worth of points yourself.

It really boils down to whether you can negotiate a free upgrade to a OWB. 

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2011, 12:47:24 PM »
I dont think you will get a free upgrade.

I would like people to compare the hotel... I think, even if the hyatt is 100 dollars cheaper a night, you cant compare. dont forget the transport cost to the park hyatt is about 150 dollars more per person

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2011, 01:07:49 PM »
I dont think you will get a free upgrade.

I would like people to compare the hotel... I think, even if the hyatt is 100 dollars cheaper a night, you cant compare. dont forget the transport cost to the park hyatt is about 150 dollars more per person
And I think I could definitely pull off a free upgrade.  Done it in nearly every other hotel I've stayed at and the GM here seems to be quite accommodating.

I'm not sure how you figure $100/night difference.  If you need to go during the holidays you're talking about $1,000 vs. ~$250 of points.  Or during low season combined with a buy 4 get 2 free promo it's still double the price.
Perhaps its much nicer, but still you must admit there's a big price difference.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2011, 01:12:26 PM »
Lets do it a other way:
fellow dd members: Please look at pictures of the  constance halaveli and park hyatt

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g298322-d1627571-Reviews-Constance_Halaveli_Resort-

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g2104649-d1473123-Reviews-Park_Hyatt_Maldives_Hadahaa-Northern_Huvadhu_Atoll.html

Not sure if this analogy works, but its like arguing which is better, ferrari or lamborghini... they're obviously both ridiculously nice, CAN be around the same price (I think)... and have a lot of the same amenities... ferrari or lamborghini =)

EDIT: ...and now I'm going to shut my mouth and watch the back and forth. This seems to be above my pay grade.